PDA

View Full Version : Great Punter! Is he too Good?

thebus36idf
10-01-2007, 10:18 AM
I feel he may be outpunting the coverage. On the one returned for a touchdown, our coverage was a good 15yrds from the returner. This gave him time to look, make his decision, and get his speed going. We need our punts higher, not farther. What do you guys think. I realize had we not had to punt it again because of a penalty ( reminds me of a conference champion game against N.E. some years back) they may have had a little better coverage.

ShutDown24
10-01-2007, 10:23 AM
If they wouldn't have been tired from the previous 50 yard gallop it would have been fine. He is looking like the best punter in the game right now and if he sows us some coffin corners this year I think Danny could easily gain that rank.

Lord Stiller
10-01-2007, 10:48 AM
It's not Sepulveda's fault

Clint Kiewaldt was untouched and whiffed on the tackle, he sucks.

How is this scrub a special teams captain??????????????

The Duke
10-01-2007, 11:08 AM
If they wouldn't have been tired from the previous 50 yard gallop it would have been fine. He is looking like the best punter in the game right now and if he sows us some coffin corners this year I think Danny could easily gain that rank.

exactly, they were tired and for a reason, Tomlin himself said it. besides that play punt return coverage has been great all season

ShutDown24
10-01-2007, 11:38 AM
exactly, they were tired and for a reason, Tomlin himself said it. besides that play punt return coverage has been great all season

Yep - There is no question the special teams practice in camp paid off. They are a much better unit this year.

PalmerSteel
10-01-2007, 03:02 PM
FWIW, i have to tap the up arrow a couple times when punting with him on madden 08 so the opposing team doesnt have as much space to return. he is the only punter i have had to do that with :)

HometownGal
10-01-2007, 03:30 PM
I feel he may be outpunting the coverage. On the one returned for a touchdown, our coverage was a good 15yrds from the returner. This gave him time to look, make his decision, and get his speed going. We need our punts higher, not farther. What do you guys think. I realize had we not had to punt it again because of a penalty ( reminds me of a conference champion game against N.E. some years back) they may have had a little better coverage.

One of Sep's strengths is his hang time, imho. Go back and take a look at the first 3 games and you'll see what I mean. His hang time has been commendable. There were several missed tackles on that punt return yesterday which resulted in a Cards TD, but the ineligible man downfield penalty on the first punt, I believe, was the nail in the coffin on that second punt. The guys on ST were huffing and didn't have much of a breather after running downfield on the first punt.

revefsreleets
10-01-2007, 06:04 PM
Yup. this dog won't hunt. Sep will win us a ton of games over the long haul, and he was well worth the pick.

Preacher
10-01-2007, 07:02 PM
If there was any fault to be placed (outside of the penalty and missed tackles), it would have to be on the ST coach. WHY?

Because second punts are notoriously easier to have big returns. So tell the punter to put it out of bounds.

Of course, that is all 20-20 hindsight.

delhess
10-01-2007, 07:13 PM
pat kirwan said today that it was a coached punt return. he explained how the returner shot towards the sideline immediately and that set the entire coverage to the side, then he turned and shot straight up the field splitting the coverage in half. (half had turned to the side, and now came back to face a blocker) the return man( can't think of his name) simply sprinted full tilt and was able to outrun the remaining defenders. kirwan said it was definetly a coached punt, and he had been taught this technique, and it worked this time.

i don't blame the punter. remember all the bad field position last year? it's good to have a chance to get back in a game.

Galax Steeler
10-02-2007, 04:02 AM
If there was any fault to be placed (outside of the penalty and missed tackles), it would have to be on the ST coach. WHY?

Because second punts are notoriously easier to have big returns. So tell the punter to put it out of bounds.

Of course, that is all 20-20 hindsight.

Agreed preacher you would have thought they would have put it out of bounds.:dang:

TXSTEELER
10-02-2007, 11:32 AM
I think he gets too caught up in the punt return. He needs to stay back to be able to make the final tackle. He was way up the line and was blocked with the rest of the traffic.

BozMan
10-02-2007, 02:07 PM
I hope the Steelers have in store a nice fake punt involving Sepulveda sometime this season. He's a great athlete. Probably the most athletic punter in the league.

Dino 6 Rings
10-02-2007, 05:02 PM
I would agree, Sepulveda is a good athlete, here is something that bothers me, besides not kicking it out of bounds, which they should have done, but why is he the holder on PATs and Field goals when Charlie Batch is just sitting there...Seems to me, with a Back up QB as experienced as CB, he could be used in "fake" field goal or PAT situations and make the other team think harder on special teams.

I like our new punter, I had hoped we got someone new after last season. He's going to help us win the field position battle, which is a Steeler need the way we play ball.

steelpride12
10-02-2007, 06:16 PM
I love this guy and i stressed all pre-season how good he would be. He has such a strong kick and i have seen bout 7 times so far this year him give the other team the ball at the 15 yard line or less. This guy will helps us win games and can't wait!

tony hipchest
10-02-2007, 06:35 PM
sepulveda shoulda made the tackle on the punt return. :rolleyes: he got hammered instead. then again hes a punter and not a linebacker.

lets all be thankful it wasnt blocked. does anyone know that we havent had a punt blocked since we signed gardocki (that guy is amazing :rolleyes:).

better to have long punts, than punts blocked.