PDA

View Full Version : 4th and Inches

moedap
10-01-2007, 01:52 PM
I wish Tomlin would have challenged the spot on that 4th and inches play converted by Arizona. I didnt see the pile move.

BlastFurnace
10-01-2007, 01:57 PM
I didn't think he got it either. The spot looked generous...to say the least.

IMO, that was a dumb move by Whiz...even though it worked out.

OneForTheToe
10-01-2007, 01:59 PM
I dout very seiously if we would have won that challenge. The NFL is not going to change a spot unless it is obvious that it is wrong. Then, if we lose, we would have been down to one timeout and fans would be claiming we would have won if we had just had two timeouts.

Haiku_Dirtt
10-01-2007, 02:06 PM
I wish Tomlin would have challenged the spot on that 4th and inches play converted by Arizona. I didnt see the pile move.

I thought that immediately. But then I realized that the "yellow line" on the monitor was a half yard beyond the true first down. They did spot the ball in between the hash marks where I thought spot should be which the chains proved to be a first down.

Oh well

Steelerstrength
10-01-2007, 02:28 PM
Tomlin should have challenged! That spot was horrendous! I carefully watched where the ball was, and Slimehart was holding it just above his waist, not high near his chest. He was short!

At that point our offense was not clicking. Arizona was moving the ball. To say we were easily looking at allowing a field goal at worst, would have put them up by ten, had our D held.

I'm just pissed that we gave it away!

ShutDown24
10-01-2007, 02:43 PM
This is a surprise to some of you? I thought it was obvious they were short. The pile got thrown backwards, tried to surge again then was stopped at the line of scrimmage. These things always rely on the refs and I wasn't surprised at all when it was spotted about two feet too far in front of where it should have been. There was never any forward progress, even if he did manage to sneak through on the second surge the play should have been blown dead after the initial stop.

onthebus36
10-01-2007, 04:02 PM
Those calls are so tough to make. On TV, the angles can really throw off your perspective and the yellow lines are often off by quite a bit.

I don't think it was worth a challenge.

Sharkissle29
10-01-2007, 04:37 PM
i think he got it but a good foot or two.

steelpride12
10-01-2007, 07:03 PM
I didn't think he got it either. The spot looked generous...to say the least.

IMO, that was a dumb move by Whiz...even though it worked out.

Wow agreed i was flipping out no way did he make that wow we could have so easily tied it up getting the ball back with like 50 seconds.!

Sith Lord
10-01-2007, 10:10 PM

Good point...I wish he did too. I agree.

SteelerManiacXLII
10-01-2007, 10:22 PM
whinners.

Preacher
10-01-2007, 11:25 PM
Those calls are so tough to make. On TV, the angles can really throw off your perspective and the yellow lines are often off by quite a bit.

I don't think it was worth a challenge.

I have found that to be true.

Steel Pit
10-02-2007, 02:19 AM

I felt the same way. I KNOW that he was well short. I didn't look at the freaking yellow lines and none of that "TV angle perspective" crap had any influence on my belief. I saw where the QB was stopped and I watched the official jog down and spot the ball about a yard further than he should have. It was an absolute terrible spot..The play should have been challenged by Tomlin.

And a shout out to the A$$HOLE who called us whiners, :countdown:fingers::moon::flipoff:

Galax Steeler
10-02-2007, 04:59 AM
No way did he make it I already knew we were getting the ball back.

delhess
10-02-2007, 05:37 AM
i think tomlin did what he thought was right. that said, do you remember how quickly cowher used to throw the flag?

i am sure that cowher used to throw the flag just to stop the momentum of a drive. if it looked close, he would just whip it out. he was a great clock manager and that kept us in many games. i used to think he was the best at that. i was often SURE that he threw the flag, just to halt an emotional drive, and let everybody get themselves calmed down again, and get our defense back in the game. it worked many times.

good memories!

TXSTEELER
10-02-2007, 12:27 PM
Did he even have any challenges left since he threw away the first one on the bonehead decision to challenge the TD?

rog
10-02-2007, 02:01 PM
I don't blame Tomlin for not challenging that play considering we only had 2 timeouts left. I do think he would have if we had all 3 though.

thebus36idf
10-02-2007, 03:20 PM
I dout very seiously if we would have won that challenge. The NFL is not going to change a spot unless it is obvious that it is wrong. Then, if we lose, we would have been down to one timeout and fans would be claiming we would have won if we had just had two timeouts.

Man the mind is a powerful thing. How we can sometimes convince ourselves things look as though they're in our favor when actually they're not. That challenge on the touchdown was not even close to not being a touchdown. I was upset by the fact that they scored, before he was even hit, and dropped the ball. That's how much time the reciever had it. Dumb Challenge. We definitly didn't need another.
Black & Gold, Peace & Grace

moedap
10-02-2007, 05:47 PM
I disagree with those who think a challenge on that wasnt necessary. It was in the 4th quarter with us down by 7 with little time left. In fact didnt they score on that drive eventually to make it a 14 point lead. I think it was a crucial no challenge.

To the guy who said we are whiners no we are just talking about football and critiqueing the play of our favorite team. I personally like whining and bitching and being pissed off after a loss just like I like being happy as f*** after a win. Thats why ... Its the sport of kings better than diamond rings...FOOTBALL! STEELERS FOOTBALL!

fansince'76
10-02-2007, 05:53 PM
To the guy who said we are whiners no we are just talking about football and critiqueing the play of our favorite team.

The "guy" in this case is a Squawks troll masquerading as a Steelers fan, and everybody knows Squawks fans have the market cornered on whining. Pay him no mind. :coffee: