PDA

View Full Version : Marvin Lewis calls out his players

Aussie_steeler
10-02-2007, 06:43 AM
Marvin Lewis' anger and harsh words pierced the steel locker room doors at Paul Brown Stadium.

"If you don't want to be on the team, don't show up at 4 o'clock," Lewis yelled in a profanity-laced tirade toward his Bengals players following the 34-13 loss Monday night to England.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071002/SPT02/710020364

Didn't take long for Marv to let his team know what he really thinks of them at the moment.

When is he going to grow a set and call 85 out. We all know who is talking about when he publicly makes a threat to his team.

Aussie_steeler
10-02-2007, 06:55 AM
Monday night massacre
Lewis calls team 'selfish'
By Kevin Goheen
Post staff reporter

The walls and doors separating the Bengals locker room from the outside world are thick. They weren't thick enough to hold Marvin Lewis' anger and displeasure following the Bengals' 34-13 loss to New England on Monday night, the third straight loss for the Bengals after a win against Baltimore in the season opener.

Lewis lashed out at the entire team in the postgame meeting before going into his press conference, where he characterized the team overall as being "selfish." His outburst was loud enough for those media waiting outside of the locker room to hear. It was a voice of frustration from a head coach whose team has now lost six of its last seven games going back to the end of last season.

"I'm tired of fighting it," said Lewis. "You don't call the offense, you don't call the defense, you just play. All week long people tell you how good you are. We ain't (nothing). We won't play together. We need to figure it out. Nowhere in the National Football League do guys act like this. If you don't want to be on this team, please don't show up."
http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071002/SPT03/710020306/1022

Aussie_steeler
10-02-2007, 06:59 AM
Great self assessment from within Bengal central

"I'm worried about the maturity of this team," Anderson said. "We can't play like kids when the other team has grown men."

http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=6326

Sorry for the multiple posts. The news stories keep popping up as I sit here.

revefsreleets
10-02-2007, 07:47 AM
Well, to be honest, the Bengals just aren't that good. Their oline is overrated, they had a bad defense before half the unit was injured, and their best players ARE selfish. They'll be lucky to break .500.

83-Steelers-43
10-02-2007, 07:48 AM
Great self assessment from within Bengal central

http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=6326

Sorry for the multiple posts. The news stories keep popping up as I sit here.

Oh please, by all means keep them coming. Nothing better than a good Bengal meltdown. :wink02:

lamberts-lost-tooth
10-02-2007, 07:57 AM
Oh please, by all means keep them coming. Nothing better than a good Bengal meltdown. :wink02:

As you wish....

Team in a three-fall

Marvin Lewis' anger and harsh words pierced the steel locker room doors at Paul Brown Stadium.

"If you don't want to be on the team, don't show up at 4 o'clock," Lewis yelled in a profanity-laced tirade toward his Bengals players following the 34-13 loss Monday night to England.

The Bengals have a 4 p.m. team meeting today.

The Bengals (1-3), buried in last place in the AFC North, lost their third straight game and for the sixth time in their past seven games, dating to the three-game losing streak that ended 2006.

"I'm just as upset, obviously, as I can be," Lewis said in his postgame news conference. "Right now, we're finding a way to play not well enough to win.

"We're going to see who we're going to fight with. If we have to make changes, we'll make changes."

New England (4-0) used a balanced offense to keep the ball from Bengals quarterback Carson Palmer and his playmakers. New England had the ball for 37:24 and ran 66 plays to the Bengals' 51.

The Patriots ran up 404 yards - 173 on the ground and 231 through the air.

The attendance of 66,113 was a Bengals franchise record and the 30th consecutive home sellout, but Paul Brown Stadium had emptied except for boo-birds by the time New England took two kneel-downs to end the game.
Patriots backup tailback Sammy Morris, playing in place of injured starter Laurence Maroney, ran for 117 yards on 21 carries. He had a backbreaking 7-yard touchdown run on fourth-and-1 in the third quarter to put New England up 24-7. It capped an eight-play, 81-yard drive.

Wide receiver Randy Moss had nine receptions for 102 yards, including his sixth and seventh touchdown catches in four games.

Bengals right tackle Willie Anderson started but played just one series.

A nagging heel problem, exacerbated by a knee injury last week at Seattle, made it nearly impossible for him to continue.

"We have to stop reading our own press clippings," Anderson said. "I'm tired of hearing we're better than them. We need to quit saying that. Guys are working extremely hard. It's even more frustrating when you go 1-3 and put in that kind of performance."

Since losing to New England on Oct. 1, 2006, the Bengals are 6-11.

The Bengals reach a bye at a good time. They next play Oct. 14 at Kansas City.

A possible season-ending torn Achilles' tendon suffered by Lemar Marshall and an eye injury to Landon Johnson left the Bengals with two healthy linebackers: Anthony Schlegel and Dhani Jones, both of whom signed in September. Rookie safety Chinedum Ndukwe played outside linebacker. Caleb Miller (back) and Ahmad Brooks (groin) did not dress.

"We're down some guys, but that's no excuse," Lewis said.

The Bengals are hoping to regain the services of outside linebacker Rashad Jeanty (calf) and special teams ace Ethan Kilmer (knee), who had surgery at the end of the preseason.

Starting tailback Rudi Johnson (hamstring) did not play Monday night, but backup Kenny Watson played well in the spot start, rushing for 55 yards on 13 carries.

The Bengals appear to be as beat up emotionally as they are physically.

"We're not going to get an easy game from here on out," defensive tackle John Thornton said. "We can't tank it now. We have to see if we can get on a run, but we have to win one."

In losing for the third consecutive game, the Bengals allowed New England quarterback Tom Brady to throw for 231 yards and three touchdowns. Brady was intercepted for just the second time this season, by Bengals rookie cornerback Leon Hall. The Bengals turned the takeaway into a touchdown on a five-play, 35-yard drive in the second quarter that was capped by a 1-yard Palmer touchdown pass to wide receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh. The touchdown was the fourth this season for Houshmandzadeh, who finished with 10 receptions for 100 yards.

New England led 17-7 at the half.

Brady threw two first-half touchdown passes, 1 yard to linebacker Mike Vrabel and 7 yards to Moss.

Trailing 17-7, the Bengals had a chance late in the half to pull closer. But wide receiver Chad Johnson and Palmer suffered a communication breakdown. On second-and-9 from the New England 20-yard line, Johnson ran deep on a crossing pattern, and Palmer thought Johnson would run short. New England cornerback Asante Samuel stepped in front of the pass for the interception.

Johnson, in a show of what might have been Lewis' reference to "selfishness," jawed with Palmer on the bench and as they walked off the field at halftime.

Palmer would take the heat for the error in his postgame press conference.

The on-field display was an embarrassing moment on an embarrassing night on national television.

"We're 1-3," Thornton said. "We're a 1-3 team. There's no sugar-coating it."

revefsreleets
10-02-2007, 08:03 AM
There was one positive for the Bengals. Those jerseys were slightly less eye-bleedingly bad than the normal monstrosities they wear.

memphissteelergirl
10-02-2007, 08:46 AM
There was one positive for the Bengals. Those jerseys were slightly less eye-bleedingly bad than the normal monstrosities they wear.

Hmmm...I dunno about that...they looked pretty butt-ugly to me.

HometownGal
10-02-2007, 09:07 AM
Awwwww. Poor wittle Bungles. Nobody loves them no mo. :toofunny::toofunny:

If the dumb ass named Marv would have taken control of his team before the start of last season and acted like a head coach instead of a buddy, maybe things would be different.

Too bad, so sad. :sofunny:

tony hipchest
10-02-2007, 09:27 AM
i dont know if anyone noticed this, but when they had chad johnson miked up a few weeks back, i believe tj housh ran a reverse for a td. chad johnson ran up to him in the endzone for what i thought were congratulations.

he was caught on the open mikes saying "tj...tj...did you see that block i threw?"

talk about the ultimate in selfishness.

marvin "the enabler" lewis has no credibility to try and call his players out for being selfish. it would be like belichick calling out his team for being roided up, cheap shotting, cheaters.

ol marv needs to just shut up and play with the team he created.

fansince'76
10-02-2007, 09:35 AM
marvin "the enabler" lewis has no credibility to try and call his players out for being selfish. it would be like belichick calling out his team for being roided up, cheap shotting, cheaters.

You gotta admit, it took guts to do that - with that locker room full of thugs, he's liable to get a cap busted in his ass for calling that bunch out.

Edman
10-02-2007, 09:45 AM
The Bengals are a flash in the pan. They're immature, and implode at the first sign of adversity. They spend too much time talkng about how good they are instead of proving it on the field.

It was good for Marv to call them out, but he should've done it sooner after CJ's stupidity in Cleveland.

TackleMeBen
10-02-2007, 09:52 AM
did anyone see CJ fussing at Carson after Carson threw that INT bc CJ didnt run the right route?

lamberts-lost-tooth
10-02-2007, 10:00 AM
Gee...Marvin would have had LB's on the field of he wouldnt have drafted thugs like Brooks and Nicholson..and cut Ed Hartwell.

Too bad Pissmystripes is gone...I would've loved to talk to him about the INCREDIBLE LB Earl Everett

rog
10-02-2007, 10:07 AM
I wonder if Carson told the media in his press confrence how much better they actually are than the Patriots. Marv needs to grow a set and start benching guys like CJ to prove a point and to try to get control of these children he calls football players.

Tankus_Maximus
10-02-2007, 10:11 AM
*ahem*

WHERE YA AT 85???????????

MACH1
10-02-2007, 10:27 AM
i dont know if anyone noticed this, but when they had chad johnson miked up a few weeks back, i believe tj housh ran a reverse for a td. chad johnson ran up to him in the endzone for what i thought were congratulations.

he was caught on the open mikes saying "tj...tj...did you see that block i threw?"

talk about the ultimate in selfishness.

Yep I seen it.
I thought you got to be kidding, its all me me me with that so called team.

TackleMeBen
10-02-2007, 10:31 AM
maybe CJ needs to take a new chapter out of T.O.'s book and try and go for team and not me... I dont think i have heard TO say anything about himself so far this season.

ShutDown24
10-02-2007, 10:35 AM
I think the organization needs to call out Lewis...

tony hipchest
10-02-2007, 10:41 AM
maybe CJ needs to take a new chapter out of T.O.'s book and try and go for team and not me... I dont think i have heard TO say anything about himself so far this season.
just wait. phillips allowed t.o. to be miked up for last weeks game. theres probably a few good nuggets in there such as

"i love me some me" (actually is a great quote) :chuckle:

memphissteelergirl
10-02-2007, 11:14 AM
I wonder if Carson told the media in his press confrence how much better they actually are than the Patriots. Marv needs to grow a set and start benching guys like CJ to prove a point and to try to get control of these children he calls football players.

Could not have said it better myself! :thumbsup:

Big D
10-02-2007, 12:23 PM
I think it could be a tale of two seasons from this point on. I think marvins speach is either going to inspire this team or it's going to implode this team.

rog
10-02-2007, 12:37 PM
I think it could be a tale of two seasons from this point on. I think marvins speach is either going to inspire this team or it's going to implode this team.

Doesn't it seem like this has allready happened?

Big D
10-02-2007, 12:41 PM
[/B]

Doesn't it seem like this has allready happened?

not as great as what it could be. I'm talking a t.o. donovan mcnabb implode. One where the locker room divides itself. I think oocho stinko has the potential to do that

alittlejazzbird
10-02-2007, 12:45 PM

Winning will do that for a team. You can bet that if Dallas and New England had started off struggling instead of winning, all you'd be hearing about is the trouble being caused by Terrell Owens and Randy Moss, their "me first" selfishness, and what a mistake it was to bring either of them onboard.

Isn't it fun watching the Bengals implode? :sofunny:

rog
10-02-2007, 12:47 PM
Who knew CJ even had time to argue with Carson with all the time he spends talking and thinking about how great he is. If he put that much time into trying to make his team better they wouldn't be so bad and might even get some stats that matter like oh I don't know wins maybe.

rog
10-02-2007, 12:48 PM
Winning will do that for a team. You can bet that if Dallas and New England had started off struggling instead of winning, all you'd be hearing about is the trouble being caused by Terrell Owens and Randy Moss, their "me first" selfishness, and what a mistake it was to bring either of them onboard.

It is funny how winning can make jackass' look like good teammates.

CanadianSteel
10-02-2007, 03:46 PM
Cinci is part of the "fantasy football" mentality that actually has media / fans believeing they are some sort of great team every year because they have guys who put up huge f antasy stats, but the just aren't a good consistent team. I don;t like the Ravens either but I do respect them and the way the play the game. I really dislike the Bengals and their players.

Too bad old Peezy wasn't around for this years match up as I would sure love to hear his pre game banter with "Crotcho Stinko". Miami does play them tis year but it won't be the same.

rbryan
10-02-2007, 05:26 PM
I have no interest in fantasy football. I don't see the big attraction. I agree with you though on your assessment. There are probably more people watching football for that in some markets than those that really care about thier team winning.

TackleMeBen
10-02-2007, 05:47 PM

i guess watching them implode is better than watching them being carted off to jail?? oh wait they are both equally as fun to watch:wink02:

tony hipchest
10-02-2007, 06:21 PM
i heard that after the game, marvin lewis called out his mother for not doing his laundry. after a night to sleep on it he decided he was gonna remain living in his moms basement. :thumbsup: good job marv.

"roll with those who brought you here"

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
10-02-2007, 08:05 PM
Then there is ocho stinko

MORE MEDIA CALLING OUT OCHO CINCO

The media is making the connection between the Monday night tirade from coach Marvin Lewis and the narcissistic behavior of receiver Chad Johnson, whose persona has been enabled by reporters who find his shtick more entertaining than troubling.

Say Paul Daugherty of the Cincinnati Enquirer, who once wrote a book with Johnson, called him out in an online blog.

Writes Daugherty:

"It's silly to lay the Monday disaster at the feet of one of the best players on the team. Chad Johnson was hardly the reason the Bengals lost by 3 TDs at home. But it is disappointing, after all these years, to see that Chad has not grown up. What was with the head-holding after he nearly scored? He helped the team with a great effort on that play. Shouldnt [sic] that be enough? Not for 85. He didnt [sic] score on national TV.

"Come on.

"Then the end of the 1st half. He and [Carson Palmer] get crossed up on a crucial interception. Chad gives it to Carson coming off the field, on the bench and heading off the field at halftime. Had to be at least 5 minutes. ESPN caught it all. Cameraman follows the pair off the field. A. Whitworth tries to block the cameraman's view. Chad keeps jawing.

"What's the word here? Unprofessional? Immature? Selfish? Embarrassing? Yes, four times."

Daugherty also addressed the blow up with Palmer in an item in the fish wrap version of the Enquirer:

"Maybe Johnson ran a sloppy route. Maybe Palmer threw a bad pass. Maybe both. Doesn't matter. What matters is Johnson acting like a 12-year-old on national television. Further, acting like a 12-year-old on national television to the best teammate he'll ever have."

Also, one of my new colleagues at SportingNews.com, Mike DeCourcy, summed it up thusly: "Johnson placing his own stardom above the team's success has defined the Bengals during Lewis' tenure, much more so than the string of arrests that made them a national punchline. Lewis has had several opportunities to contain that affliction: upon his introduction as head coach; following Johnson's reported halftime altercation with his receivers coach during the franchise's one recent playoff game; or during last season's collapse out of playoff contention. Monday night, Lewis whiffed again."

Amen.

But good luck getting the many fans of Stinko to see the light. As DeCourcy writes: "Around Cincinnati, they so love Chad Johnson. They wear his No. 85 jersey as though it is the Shroud of Turin. They believe he is an incredibly gifted wide receiver. (They're right). They believe he is extremely funny. (They're wrong). They look forward to his ridiculous performance art pieces following most every touchdown. They chortle at his public challenges to opposing defenders."

And they defend him in defiance of reason or common sense on the rare occasion that someone in the media speaks ill of him. We know this to be true, because we've been getting the e-mails. All day.

Folks, here's what it comes down to. Either you want to win football games, or you want to be entertained. If it's the latter, go to a movie on Sunday afternoons. If it's the former, then realize that any player who places greater emphasis on his plans for self-glorification than he does on whether his team scores more points than the other team is going to keep the goal from being reached.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

stillers4me
10-02-2007, 08:31 PM
I've been telling people here in Cinci this for 3 years. They look at me like I have 2 heads.

I've been telling people The Bengals suck for 3 years. They look at me like I have a tail.

God, it's good it be right all the time.

fansince'76
10-02-2007, 08:37 PM
I've been telling people here in Cinci this for 3 years. They look at me like I have 2 heads.

I've been telling people The Bengals suck for 3 years. They look at me like I have a tail.

God, it's good it be right all the time.

Stillers4me, have you ever considered moving out of Cincinnati? :chuckle:

stillers4me
10-02-2007, 08:46 PM
Stillers4me, have you ever considered moving out of Cincinnati? :chuckle:

Everyday.

But I can't take my son and grandbabies with me so I guess I'm stuck in Suckville.

RoethlisBURGHer
10-02-2007, 09:55 PM
I'm loving this.

At work last night we had a Bengals fan come in...the entire store pointed and laughed.

tony hipchest
10-02-2007, 10:46 PM
I'm loving this.

At work last night we had a Bengals fan come in...the entire store pointed and laughed.:sofunny:

so... you work at a gun shop?

revefsreleets
10-03-2007, 09:19 AM
Alright, so all you who said that you'd take punk Chad on your team, please stand up and be accounted for.

RoethlisBURGHer
10-03-2007, 10:30 AM
:sofunny:

so... you work at a gun shop?

LMAO nope, a gas station. If I worked ina gun shop, I would have shot him.

Best part- he didn't know who Ken Anderson or Boomer Esiason were...but he knew who Carson Palmer was.

Livinginthe past
10-03-2007, 10:42 AM
Alright, so all you who said that you'd take punk Chad on your team, please stand up and be accounted for.

Chad may well be immature - but if you put him in an environment where he surrounded by mature vets he would be worth the gamble for alot of teams.

Some of those catches he makes are amazing - but he ruins it all when his showboating becomes bigger than the result.

fansince'76
10-03-2007, 10:44 AM
Best part- he didn't know who Ken Anderson or Boomer Esiason were...but he knew who Carson Palmer was.

That's a shocker - I'd bet a dollar to a donut he has no idea who Anthony Mu?oz is either.

tony hipchest
10-03-2007, 10:44 AM
LMAO nope, a gas station. If I worked ina gun shop, I would have shot him.

Best part- he didn't know who Ken Anderson or Boomer Esiason were...but he knew who Carson Palmer was.you mean a bunglefan walked into a gas station and nobody got robbed?

amazing!

so what tipped him off as a bengalfan? was it the ski-mask, henry jersey, shots fired into the air outside, the stench of reefer, or the 3 14 year old girls in his car?

Mewtwo
10-03-2007, 11:26 AM
you mean a bunglefan walked into a gas station and nobody got robbed?

amazing!

so what tipped him off as a bengalfan? was it the ski-mask, henry jersey, shots fired into the air outside, the stench of reefer, or the 3 14 year old girls in his car?

:sofunny::sofunny::sofunny::toofunny:

stillers4me
10-03-2007, 03:50 PM
you mean a bunglefan walked into a gas station and nobody got robbed?

amazing!

I can't top that one............ :jammin:

Haiku_Dirtt
10-03-2007, 05:10 PM
http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071002/SPT02/710020364

Didn't take long for Marv to let his team know what he really thinks of them at the moment.

When is he going to grow a set and call 85 out. We all know who is talking about when he publicly makes a threat to his team.

Props to keeping the Steelers well represented Down Under :cheers:

It's about time - no about a year too late - he puts a lid on that dead comedy production. Ocho Cinco is as funny as Chevy Chase after the first Vacation movie. If the H of F jacket isn't the straw that breaks the camel's back then deconstructive communication with Carson Palmer will be.

Truly unfortunate that Palmer landed in the AFC North for me. But I put Carson Palmer and Troy Polamalu in the same class not because they went to SC but because the only news you get on them is football news. They both married their college sweethearts and they both know the difference between right and wrong.

85 wouldn't know how to be a professional even if they stitched it on a golden jacket. Burn baby burn.:bomb:

tony hipchest
10-03-2007, 06:57 PM
Ekscloosive footige of wardin Marfin caling out his playerz:

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q23/shortyshane_2006/prisonline.jpg

damn. carson looks especially bummed.

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
10-03-2007, 08:18 PM
Chad may well be immature - but if you put him in an environment where he surrounded by mature vets he would be worth the gamble for alot of teams.

I believe there is absolutely no truth to your statement. No matter where you put Chad he will always be an immature, self centered narcissist, ego-maniac who will be a disruption wherever he went. Stinko's attitude is it's all about me.

Would you be using Randy Moss going to the Patsies an example on how Stinko would benefit from a veteran team? Remember the altercation in the locker room 2 years ago during the Steelers/Bungles playoff game Stinko coming to blows with the offensive coordinator? No one believed that altercation even took place but it did. What did Lewis do about it...absolutely nothing. Should this self implosion really surprise Lewis? Ahhh no.

So here's my thoughts Marv there is no crying in football he's getting exactly what he deserves. He's never had control over his team. In the case of the bungles the lunatics are truly running the asylum.

tony hipchest
10-03-2007, 08:43 PM
I believe there is absolutely no truth to your statement. No matter where you put Chad he will always be an immature, self centered narcissist, ego-maniac who will be a disruption wherever he went. Stinko's attitude is it's all about me.

Would you be using Randy Moss going to the Patsies an example on how Stinko would benefit from a veteran team? Remember the altercation in the locker room 2 years ago during the Steelers/Bungles playoff game Stinko coming to blows with the offensive coordinator? No one believed that altercation even took place but it did. What did Lewis do about it...absolutely nothing. Should this self implosion really surprise Lewis? Ahhh no.

So here's my thoughts Marv there is no crying in football he's getting exactly what he deserves. He's never had control over his team. In the case of the bungles the lunatics are truly running the asylum.youre exactly right. much like t.o. and moss, chad is a front runner.

its not maturity they need. they just need to be plopped into 1st place and then all of a sudden theyre interrested. as soon as they lose games, they lose interrest.

theyre more into the accolades as opposed to the actual fight, and more of a product of the talent around them. they wouldve never been able to have careers like payton, sanders, o.j., or archie manning on teams such as the bears, lions, bills, or saints.

this will be the biggest hurdle when all 3 are thinking about Hall of Fame enshrinement (and posing in the mirror [or in front of the nation] with a fake jacket they have tailored for them 10 years early).

Livinginthe past
10-04-2007, 01:12 AM

So here's my thoughts Marv there is no crying in football he's getting exactly what he deserves. He's never had control over his team. In the case of the bungles the lunatics are truly running the asylum.

Well to each their own - thats your opinion and you're welcome to it.

I don't see Moss and Chad as similar characters at all - its just a lazy media that lieks to throw all these guys in one convenient group.

Chad's an attention wh0re, I don't think he really has a bad bone in his body - its just he still has a deal of growing up to do - in the world of the pampered pro-sports star there isn't any presure on him to grow up any.

Moss is an intelligent, thoughtful guy - I believe he really loves the game - maybe he got a little carried away with the hype in Minny (which is a little understandable as he was a phenom as soon as he hit the scene).

The Oakland episode must have been a profoundly demoralising experience - its one thing to lose a game...its a whole other thing to know before you take the field that due to inadequate coaching and player talent, you have next to no chance of winning a game.

I think if you surrounded Chad with strong vet leadership in New England he would be a much improved player for it.

Elvis
10-04-2007, 03:58 AM
:tt02:http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071002/SPT02/710020364

I agree Aussie
Lewis almost seems like he is afraid to say anything to Johnson or whoesyourmoma. Just tell the guys to shut their traps and play football. I kind of felt the same way the last couple of years about Joey Porter. When you make a play just go back to the huddle and get ready for the next play. At the end of the season when we are celebrating No.6, then you can talk trash.

tony hipchest
10-04-2007, 05:06 PM
jason whitlock hits a home run with this one:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7296680

8. Marvin Lewis is learning the lesson Dennis Green learned in Minnesota: Don't turn your team over to wide receivers.

Remember when Dennis Green partnered up with Randy Moss and Cris Carter and basically named them assistants to the head coach? Moss and Carter went wherever Denny went. Denny fought to get Randy a mammoth contract.

How'd that work out for Denny?

The exact same way Marvin Lewis' partnership with Chad Johnson and T.J. Houshmandzadeh is working out. T.J. yelled at Marvin about play-calling on the sideline during Cincy's embarrassing loss to the Patriots. Johnson continues to bojangle for the cameras at every opportunity and turn the Cincy sideline into a re-enactment of "Flavor of Love." :king: - "Flava Flaaaaave!"

T.J. Houshmandzadeh and Chad Johnson may be somewhat entertaining, but does anyone see them as coaching material? ( / Getty Images)

And guess what? Marvin could be overheard by the media screaming at his team about being selfish and telling his team that the coaches will call the plays without being second-guessed by the players (receivers).

Johnson and Houshmandzadeh are great players. You can win with them. But if you coddle them, they will undermine team discipline. If Lewis continues to allow Johnson to play by one set of rules and turn the Bengals into Chad's personal reality show, the team will not come out of this funk.

Just ask Denny Green.

Marvin can't ask 52 guys to play like men and allow Johnson to tap dance and shuffle for the amusement of a TV audience. Yes, I realize TV broadcasters are fond of gushing about how much they love Johnson and how "fun" he is.

Johnson isn't the first black man to be loved for bojangling. But there isn't a long list of bojangling idiots who led their teams to Super Bowl titles.

:toofunny:

83-Steelers-43
10-04-2007, 05:08 PM
Johnson continues to bojangle for the cameras at every opportunity and turn the Cincy sideline into a re-enactment of "Flavor of Love." - "Flava Flaaaaave!"

That's priceless. Does Marvin Lewis play 'New York'? :toofunny:

http://www.vh1realityworld.com/wp-content/spit.jpg

Real team player right there. Let me guess? Chad is just misunderstood? Or wait, we just don't get "it" when it comes to Chad Johnson's sense of humor, right?

Give me a break.

revefsreleets
10-04-2007, 05:24 PM
I disagree about Johnson. It's proper to feel remorse for the child, but he's beyond redemption as an adult. There was a chance in college maybe, but he was passed through the system (there's no way Chad passed any college level classes on his own), and he's always had TJ there to keep him at least semi-manageable, but this punk is a couple bad games from a complete meltdown, and I mean like a Brittany Spears type breakdown.

tony hipchest
10-04-2007, 07:09 PM
Real team player right there. Let me guess? Chad is just misunderstood? Or wait, we just don't get "it" when it comes to Chad Johnson's sense of humor, right?

Give me a break.

but of course. go get em chad!

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q23/shortyshane_2006/_flava_flav1.jpg

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q23/shortyshane_2006/_flavaflave2.jpg

83-Steelers-43
10-04-2007, 08:25 PM
http://www.stopdrugs.org/images/crack.jpg

NateC
10-05-2007, 03:54 AM
Lol. Listen im glad he is not on my team .
But he is Great for the League.
And all that "Bojangling is making him millions along with his millions from catching Passes.

If he Gave a Hoot About Winning Championships he would Knock off Getting CHippy with his QB, and just submit and bow dow. For the sake of winning..

But he a Big Star, and he wanna be that.

As Long as he Casuing Drama, errrrr Drama FOllowing Him, Thats good for the Steelers. So As I have always Been.. Im Still behind Chad.:cheer::cheer::cheer:

NateC
10-05-2007, 03:56 AM
BTW i Met Flava Flave At the Local Rite Aid... He is a Kind Man who only SHow'd me Love with a Handshake and a Kind word. Yea, he is a "CLown" But as long as somone is laughing Praise God thats a Laugh they wouldnt have had without him./// To FLAVE"S Continued Success!

Hip Hip HOrrraY

tony hipchest
10-18-2007, 12:06 PM
wow. jason whitlock is still swinging... and still knocking them out da park!

this article could be seen as controversial and will undoubtedly have whitlock called an uncle tom-

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7343980

NFL truth: Hip-hop culture hurting NFL
Jason Whitlock

You get one NFL Truth today. Watching Chad Johnson and Larry Johnson undermine their respective head coaches, Marvin Lewis and Herm Edwards, on Sunday gave me a singular focus, forced me to contemplate an uncomfortable truth.

African-American football players caught up in the rebellion and buffoonery of hip hop culture have given NFL owners and coaches a justifiable reason to whiten their rosters. That will be the legacy left by Chad, Larry and Tank Johnson, Pacman Jones, Terrell Owens, Michael Vick and all the other football bojanglers.
In terms of opportunity for American-born black athletes, they're going to leave the game in far worse shape than they found it.

It's already starting to happen. A little-publicized fact is that the Colts and the Patriots — the league's model franchises — are two of the whitest teams in the NFL. If you count rookie receiver Anthony Gonzalez, the Colts opened the season with an NFL-high 24 white players on their 53-man roster. Toss in linebacker Naivote Taulawakeiaho "Freddie" Keiaho and 47 percent of Tony Dungy's defending Super Bowl-champion roster is non-African-American. Bill Belichick's Patriots are nearly as white, boasting a 23-man non-African-American roster, counting linebacker Tiaina "Junior" Seau and backup quarterback Matt Gutierrez.

:jawdrop: did he just say that? edgy indeed

I take you to Arrowhead Stadium this past Sunday when two competent and respected black head coaches led the Chiefs and the Bengals in battle, and their efforts were periodically sabotaged by Chad and Larry Johnson, the two players Lewis and Edwards have defended the most.

Football fans are aware of Lewis' love affair with Chad Johnson, the Flavor Flav of the gridiron. Johnson's insistence on conducting a minstrel show during games has long been reluctantly tolerated by Lewis. Johnson, I guess, is just too talented, productive and well-compensated for Lewis to discipline. So Lewis has chosen to enable, going as far as making excuses when Johnson's selfish behavior extended to an alleged locker-room shoving match with coaches (including a swing at Lewis) at halftime of the Bengals' Jan. 8, 2006 playoff loss to the Steelers.
"flava flav of the gridiron"? "conducting a minstrel show"??? :toofunny: hilarious!

What we're witnessing today are purposeless, selfish acts of buffoonery. Sensible people have grown tired of it. Football people are recognizing it doesn't contribute to a winning environment. :yep: long article. lots of great points... but mostly its fun to read CJ getting slammed. (for some reason ive got Jethro Tull's "minstrel in the gallery" playing in my head.)

Atlanta Dan
10-18-2007, 12:09 PM
If a white reporter wrote that he or she would probably be fired - so a coach has a "justifiable" reason to discriminate against an African-American player even if that player is not part of "hip-hop culture"?

Would be interested to hear what someone like Tony Dungy or James Farrior thinks about that.

Whitlock makes some valid points about it being a cultural and not a racial issue but I hope he was just sloppy with his choice of words when he wrote discriminating against someone on the basis of their race is "justifiable."

fansince'76
10-18-2007, 12:32 PM
If a white reporter wrote that he or she would probably be fired....

Probably? More like definitely. Followed by a solid week of Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson all over the stinking airwaves bitching about it, then followed in quick succession by a 7-to-8 figure lawsuit.

83-Steelers-43
10-18-2007, 01:10 PM
Hats off to Mr. Whitlock. A voice of reason. It's refreshing to hear. Thankfully he will be able to keep his job after that article. That definately would not be the case with (insert any white columnist name here).

Keep up those double standards!!! :thumbsup:

rbryan
10-18-2007, 01:29 PM
I hope they never get rid of Johnson or Lewis. The longer they stay the better chance we have of winning the division. One less team to worry about.

TackleMeBen
10-18-2007, 02:22 PM
I hope they never get rid of Johnson or Lewis. The longer they stay the better chance we have of winning the division. One less team to worry about.

that is a good point. :wink02:

Elvis
10-21-2007, 06:50 AM
:computer:
Now, I have been raised in a little town called Cashiers, NC and there is pretty much No African American people in our town. But I have always been taught by my mother and father to love everyone. Now, I have to admit.. it is kind of scary for me to go into a crowd of black people... I am intimidated by it... why?... I dont know... I just know that I can almost garentee you that if a black man or woman stopped in our town and asked directions somewhere or came into our restaurant to eat.. they would be treated just like any white person in the place. We have a young man working with us that is Black and he will be the first one to tell ya that he feels very welcome in our town.. but he drives atleast an hour to get to work.. he lives in Asheville, NC and it is pretty much dominated by black folks. And he says he is scared to death at times over there when he feels very comfortable here in our little town.
Love thy neighbor No Matter What Color They Are Please.... Jesus Does!!!
:hug:

X-Terminator
10-21-2007, 11:13 AM
Not to turn this into a political issue, but I've been saying for YEARS that if black people want to gain credibility and move forward, we MUST reject the hip hop culture. It is nothing more than a path to oblivion. The problem is that as soon as someone criticizes it, he or she is immediately smacked down, even if the person is black. Kudos to Whitlock for speaking up and telling the truth - we need MANY more like him to do so if we're ever going to change our image and our culture.

revefsreleets
10-22-2007, 07:02 PM
Not to go off on a tangent, but the "hip-hop culture" definitely has a place. MTV is a great example. But I remember an SNL spoof a few years ago called "Spot the black person" and it was set at an NBA game. A camera pans through the crowd at the Garden and through thousands of fans, every now and then there's be a beep! and a red circle would point out a black person in the crowd. It was literally 1 in a thousand. Of course when the camera panned down to the court it was beep! beep! beep! beep! beep!

Beyond the irony, there was a deeper point. Although the crowd was filled with middle-aged white men, I guarantee the only music played that night (and very loudly I'm sure) was hip-hop.

The point is that the NFL isn't minding it's demographic. I've long been a harsh critic of these random acts of selfish jackassery committed by players like Chad Johnson, and I find it remarkable that so many people rush to his defense. Why does the NFL glorify these guys? A player like Warrick Dunn should be getting 5,000 X the pub and love these idiots are. The very fact that 99 out of 100 people (and probably almost everyone who reads this here)have no idea why that might be proves the point. The fact that he pretty much just tosses the ball to the ref after a TD is just the tip of the iceberg. More importantly, he's a model citizen off the field, and I mean an inspirational type guy. Compared to a guy like Dunn, Chad Johnson is a pile of of dog shit as a human being, yet the hype rolls on and he's beloved by millions of nitwits for his antics.

If you want a role model for the black community, Chad Johnson ranks right above OJ Simpson and Maurice Clarrett, but he's on Sportscenter every week for ALL the wrong reasons.

Atlanta Dan
10-22-2007, 07:39 PM
Not to go off on a tangent, but the "hip-hop culture" definitely has a place. MTV is a great example. But I remember an SNL spoof a few years ago called "Spot the black person" and it was set at an NBA game. A camera pans through the crowd at the Garden and through thousands of fans, every now and then there's be a beep! and a red circle would point out a black person in the crowd. It was literally 1 in a thousand. Of course when the camera panned down to the court it was beep! beep! beep! beep! beep!

Beyond the irony, there was a deeper point. Although the crowd was filled with middle-aged white men, I guarantee the only music played that night (and very loudly I'm sure) was hip-hop.

The point is that the NFL isn't minding it's demographic. I've long been a harsh critic of these random acts of selfish jackassery committed by players like Chad Johnson, and I find it remarkable that so many people rush to his defense. Why does the NFL glorify these guys? A player like Warrick Dunn should be getting 5,000 X the pub and love these idiots are. The very fact that 99 out of 100 people (and probably almost everyone who reads this here)have no idea why that might be proves the point. The fact that he pretty much just tosses the ball to the ref after a TD is just the tip of the iceberg. More importantly, he's a model citizen off the field, and I mean an inspirational type guy. Compared to a guy like Dunn, Chad Johnson is a pile of of dog shit as a human being, yet the hype rolls on and he's beloved by millions of nitwits for his antics.

If you want a role model for the black community, Chad Johnson ranks right above OJ Simpson and Maurice Clarrett, but he's on Sportscenter every week for ALL the wrong reasons.

That is an excellent point. But it is the sports TV media glorifying jerks like Chad (ESPN and Kornheiser fawning over Chad's "celebration" in the Ravens game was shameless) not the NFL. Goodell knows who his target demographic is for game time advertising and season tickets (age 25-54 upscale males) and is cracking down on aberrant behavior by Vick & Pacman so the NFL does not become the NBA in cleats.

But ESPN & Sportscenter skew to a younger target audience (teens to 20s males with less disposable income who buy shoes, beer & soft drinks) and are going to glorify "rebels" like Chad & Vick who keep it real and appeal to adolescents of all ages.

The best example I can cite of that sick dynamic was when Kobe Bryant was accused of rape and some said it might help his street cred to sell more shoes & jerseys to teens and young adults.

revefsreleets
10-22-2007, 08:28 PM
That is an excellent point. But it is the sports TV media glorifying jerks like Chad (ESPN and Kornheiser fawning over Chad's "celebration" in the Ravens game was shameless) not the NFL. Goodell knows who his target demographic is for game time advertising and season tickets (age 25-54 upscale males) and is cracking down on aberrant behavior by Vick & Pacman so the NFL does not become the NBA in cleats.

But ESPN & Sportscenter skew to a younger target audience (teens to 20s males with less disposable income who buy shoes, beer & soft drinks) and are going to glorify "rebels" like Chad & Vick who keep it real and appeal to adolescents of all ages.

The best example I can cite of that sick dynamic was when Kobe Bryant was accused of rape and some said it might help his street cred to sell more shoes & jerseys to teens and young adults.

Great points all. And the last rang some bells. THAT is indicative of the problem. I'm a white guy who doesn't suffer from the self-imposed white guilt we are all supposed to feel for acts committed by dumb rednecks from different places and earlier times. I feel just as qualified to comment on the state of the black community as I am on who the next President might be. Why? Well, while I am not black and never will be, what the black community does affects me greatly. And the same goes for being President, except to a far lesser degree.

Anyway, there is a real problem and it's getting worse. I don't have any real answers, but I feel like I'm ahead of all the people who should be coming up with solutions since I'm at least willing to look the problem straight in the eye and talk about it.

onthebus36
10-30-2007, 09:28 PM
I don't think it's a race thing at all. There are plenty of idiots in the NFL who aren't black and plenty of character guys who are.

While I agree with the overall point of the article, that selfishness, undermining coaches, and foolish and criminal behavior are bad for the game, breaking teams down racially is a really slippery slope and something I'm not comfortable with.

Some things to think about:

1- implying the Colts and Pats are "whiter" than other teams implies some level of racism in hiring players, does it not? This implies their rosters are "whiter" by design and not because their players happen to be one race vs another.

2- In order to get to the percentages he talks about, you have to count latinos and Pacific Islanders and "white." I'm not sure those guys would consider themselves white.

3- How about mixed race players? Is Hines Ward black, Asian, or 50/50? Once you get to that level, aren't you pigeon-holing guys? Hines isn't black or asian, he's both right?. It reminds me of the census in the days of slavery when a slave was less of a person than a white man. Do you guys see the slippery slope here?

How about a simple article holding a few players accountable for their actions. A criminal is a criminal and a good man is a good man and race has little to nothing to do with it.