PDA

View Full Version : Injury Update

83-Steelers-43
10-02-2007, 12:11 PM
Sitting here and watching the Mike Tomlin live PC......

McFadden: "Going to be an issue". High ankle sprain. Doubtful at this point.

Harrison: Knee contusion: Nothing major.

Roethlisberger: Foot contusion: Nothing major.

Townsend: Stinger ("will be cautious").

Ward: Monitoring. "Feels good. Day to day".

Spaeth: Will be back.

Up to this point in the press conference, he has not commented on Polamalu or Hampton.

How did the game effect him personally........

"Believe it or not, I did anticipate on losing a game." :toofunny:

83-Steelers-43
10-02-2007, 12:20 PM
I'm guessing since he did not bring up Hampton or Polamalu that they are fine.....?

He's also stressing stupid penalties and mistakes.

83-Steelers-43
10-02-2007, 12:35 PM
(Ed Bouchette) Might not even miss practice = Polamalu and Hampton

Sounds like they are good to go, or at least not seriously injured.

SteelerFanInCA
10-02-2007, 12:40 PM
Thanks for the update 83. Hopefully Troy and Casey are good to go.

TackleMeBen
10-02-2007, 12:41 PM
i hope polamalu and hampton are good to play sunday

Lord Stiller
10-02-2007, 01:04 PM
Yeah I wasn't expecting Polamalu's ab strain to be that serious

Now that McFadden is out, I guess Gay will be their 3rd corner and they might dress Colclough

TackleMeBen
10-02-2007, 01:06 PM
i like william gay.. he seems like he loves to put a hurting on the opposing players.

83-Steelers-43
10-02-2007, 01:07 PM
Steelers' injury situation isn't as bad as it seemed
By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, October 2, 2007

The Steelers' injury situation isn't as bad as it seemed after their 21-14 loss to Arizona Cardinals.

Of the players that left the game after getting hurt, only cornerback Bryant McFadden is unlikely to play Sunday when the Steelers host the Seattle Seahawks.

McFadden has a high ankle sprain and is doubtful for the game that pits the two teams that met in Super Bowl XL against one another, coach Mike Tomlin said.

Strong safety Troy Polamalu (abdominal strain) and nose tackles Casey Hampton (hamstring) and Chris Hoke (neck sprain) may be limited in practice today, Tomlin said, but they are expected to play against the Seahawks.

The Steelers (3-1) got good news on a pair of players that missed the Cardinals' game.

Rookie tight end Matt Spaeth will play against the Seahawks after missing the previous two games with a deep thigh bruise.

Tomlin said he is encouraged by the progress wide receiver Hines Ward (knee sprain) has made and the 10-year veteran could return to action Sunday after missing only the fourth game of his career.

"We're still monitoring him," Tomlin said.

Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger (foot contusion) and outside linebacker James Harrison (knee contusion) may be limited in practice today, Tomlin said. Roethlisberger got his foot stepped on in the Cardinals' game.

"No big deal there," Tomlin said.

If McFadden is unable to play against the Seahawks, Tomlin said rookie William Gay will likely take his place in the team's nickel package.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_530553.html

TackleMeBen
10-02-2007, 01:09 PM
what a great team for gay to start against. the seahawks..lol

83-Steelers-43
10-02-2007, 01:20 PM
FWIW, the PPG's injury report.......

Steelers' Polamalu, Hampton to play; Ward 'day-to-day'
Tuesday, October 02, 2007
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Safety Troy Polamalu and nose tackle Casey Hampton, the Steelers' two Pro Bowl defensive players who left Sunday's game in Arizona with injuries, will return to play against the Seattle Seahawks Sunday at Heinz Field.

"We expect both those guys to be OK,'' coach Mike Tomlin said today.

Polamalu left the game with a strained abdomen and Hampton left with a hamstring injury.

Tomlin said the only effect is they may be limited in some practices this week.

As for Hines Ward, who missed only his fourth game in 10 years with a sprained knee, Tomlin said he is "day to day.''

"He feels good,'' said Tomlin during his weekly press conference. He said he won't know until later in the week whether the wide receiver can return to action.

One who will not be back is cornerback Bryant McFadden, and it may be some time before he does return. McFadden has what is known as a high ankle sprain, an injury that typically keeps a player out a month or so. McFadden, the team's No. 3 cornerback, likely will be replaced by rookie William Gay, although fourth-year veteran Ricardo Colclough remains a possibility.

There were some previously unreported minor injuries to starters, who might miss some practice time but who will play on Sunday. Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger has a bruised foot that was stepped on, linebacker James Harrison has a bruised knee and cornerback Deshea Townsend had a stinger.

Also, rookie tight end Matt Spaeth, who caught two touchdown passes before he missed the past two games with a bruised thigh, will return to play.

The Steelers play the Seahawks at 1 p.m. Sunday at Heinz Field in a Super Bowl XL rematch.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07275/822273-100.stm

rog
10-02-2007, 01:41 PM
With Matt, Troy, Hines and Casey all back we should see some better play this week Sunday can't get here fast enough.

jjpro11
10-02-2007, 02:13 PM
all right! cant wait to go sunday.

Edman
10-02-2007, 02:55 PM
I'm relived to hear that the injuries aren't that serious. I'm feeling a bit more relieved now.

CanadianSteel
10-02-2007, 04:57 PM
phew....... relief for sure.
Need Big Casey vs Shaun Alexander and Troy just makes the "D" that much better with his presence on the filed

SteelerFanInCA
10-02-2007, 05:08 PM
That's great news. Glad to hear the big guns will be back in our lineup.

Preacher
10-02-2007, 06:03 PM
Allright...

That's GREAT... BRING ON THE HACKS!

steelpride12
10-02-2007, 07:14 PM
Sorry to hear bout Mcfadden i really like this young guy he has alot of potention, and that pick he had for a TD was perfect. William Gay also does not worry me taking that position. He had many game winners in the pre-season against second stringers(not saying much), but i feel he will be a starting corner for us in the future and will be a dam good corner.

TackleMeBen
10-02-2007, 07:16 PM
i want to see Gay lay out some seahags this sunday.

lilyoder6
10-02-2007, 10:09 PM
News Main E-mail

Posted: 29 minutes ago
Steelers expect Polamalu, Hampton to play vs. Seattle
Associated Press

PITTSBURGH -- Pittsburgh Steelers safety Troy Polamalu and nose tackle Casey Hampton, forced out of the Arizona game with injuries, are expected to play Sunday against Seattle.

"All indications are that they will be fine," coach Mike Tomlin said Tuesday.

Pittsburgh Steelers
Complete coverage:
Video | Schedule | Stats
Roster | Depth chart | Transactions
Official team site: Steelers.com

The Steelers aren't as certain about four-time Pro Bowl receiver Hines Ward, who missed only his fourth game in 10 seasons Sunday because of a sprained knee. He will begin the practice work week Wednesday listed as day to day.

"He had a good day of rehab," Tomlin said. "I spoke with him and he feels good. We will take it day to day and see where he is. We'll do what's smart in that area, but that decision will be determined later in the week."

While Polamalu and Hampton couldn't finish the Steelers' 21-14 loss to the Cardinals, Tomlin did not initially list them when he reviewed the team's injuries at his weekly news conference.

"We expect these guys to be OK," Tomlin said.

Also expected back is rookie tight end Matt Spaeth, who has missed two games with a bruised quadriceps after catching a touchdown pass in each of the Steelers' first two games.

However, the Steelers will go against the Seahawks (3-1) without cornerback Bryant McFadden, who has a severely sprained ankle that could sideline him a month.

McFadden, the primary backup to starters Deshea Townsend and Ike Taylor, will be replaced in extra-back alignments by rookie William Gay or fourth-year defensive back Ricardo Colclough.

The injuries to Polamalu and Hampton left the Steelers (3-1) without two Pro Bowl defensive players during what became their first loss of the season, with Arizona rallying from a 7-0 deficit by scoring 21 consecutive points.

Polamalu strained an abdominal muscle while recovering a fumble in the second quarter and Hampton injured a hamstring.

Ben Roethlisberger also bruised his foot when someone stepped on it, but Tomlin said it's "no big deal" although the quarterback may not go through a full practice Wednesday.

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

klick81
10-03-2007, 01:45 AM
Oh man, that's GREAT news about Hampton and Troy. It's too bad McFadden is hurt, but I'd like to see what Gay can do against a first string offense.

Galax Steeler
10-03-2007, 04:57 AM
Good to hear almost all out players will be back I'm ready for the sehawks.

Infamix
10-04-2007, 01:10 PM
http://www.observer-reporter.com/OR/Story/10_4_Steelers_notebook

We play another NFC team...then have a bye. It would be smarter to rest him for 2 weeks to have him recovered for our tough stretch.

Polamalu's injury

Strong safety Troy Polamalu said he suffered a cartilage tear in his ribcage while recovering a fumble at the end of the first half of Sunday' 21-14 loss at Arizona.

Polamalu, who did not practice Wednesday, sat out the entire second half of Sunday's game, but is expected to play this week. Polamalu said he had to be talked out of playing against Arizona.

"I wanted to go back in, definitely," he said. "But it was the fourth game of the season. There was no reason to make any injury worse and sit our six or seven more weeks."

Could he have done so?

"I don't know, I was going to find out by going out there," Polamalu said.

alittlejazzbird
10-04-2007, 01:25 PM
As the P-G put it re: Troy's injury, "The injury report lists Polamalu's problem as an 'abdomen.' He said yesterday some cartilage pulled off his rib cage."

Does that sound as excruciating to everyone else as it does to me???? I only hope he's not risking long-term damage to his ribs if he plays Sunday. There's little question that we need him, but we also need him for the 11 more games (including all our division games) still to come. Like Hines, I'd rather have Troy closer to 100% down the stretch.

83-Steelers-43
10-04-2007, 01:55 PM
Ward's MRI shows some fluid, but not serious damage
By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, October 4, 2007

The MRI Hines Ward had taken Wednesday showed a small amount of fluid around his right knee but nothing serious, the veteran wide receiver said.

Ward remains hopeful that he can play Sunday when the Steelers host the Seattle Seahawks Sunday after missing last week's 21-14 loss to the Arizona Cardinals because of a knee sprain.

Ward did some running on a treadmill today but is not practicing.

"Tomorrow will be the day that I really try to test it," said Ward,

Ward, who has missed just four games during his 10-year career, said he could still play Sunday even if he is not able to practice Friday.

He said he will not play if there is a chance he could risk further injury to the knee.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_530987.html

stillers4me
10-04-2007, 05:22 PM
ughhhhhhhhhhh..........I HATE reading that about Troy and Hines.

NateC
10-04-2007, 06:02 PM
Ill Blame Hienz Injury on a Careless Big Ben . Lol man HE got Hienz Lit up 2wice in 5 or so mins... Threw Sloppy High Balls with Lurking Safeties very close... i know i know he is payed to jump and make catches over the middle.... But it was Careless in my opinion. he got his Boy Lit up, and now what lol... MRI's and Games off...

Is Spilt Milk but damn lets look out for each other out there. dont be tossing floaters so our boys can Make the "Jacked Up " Segment. :blah::blah::blah:

Wow. Steeler Loss's Really Throw me off Mentally. Im all Sensitive right now.

The Duke
10-04-2007, 06:49 PM
If troy for some reason can't play( I hope he does) is there any chance anthony smith could fill in at strong safety, I know we have a reliable backup for troy in tyrone carter, but could the staff give the nod to anthony?

xXTheSteelKingsXx
10-04-2007, 07:18 PM
Thanks for the injury updates 83. Glad to hear we'll be close to full capacity against the Seachickens.

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
10-05-2007, 01:12 AM
I would rather see the walking wounded sit this one out. :crutches: It would give Ward 4 weeks rest and the other guys 3 full weeks rest. What's the point of then playing on Sunday and risking making things worse. I'd rather see everyone healthy after the bye week. Of the remaining 11 games on the schedule 10 of them are AFC games.
I mean come on did you really think we would go 14-2? :sofunny:

jjpro11
10-05-2007, 02:34 AM
I would rather see the walking wounded sit this one out. :crutches: It would give Ward 4 weeks rest and the other guys 3 full weeks rest. What's the point of then playing on Sunday and risking making things worse. I'd rather see everyone healthy after the bye week. Of the remaining 11 games on the schedule 10 of them are AFC games.
I mean come on did you really think we would go 14-2? :sofunny:

you cant drop games that we are supposed to win.. that bit us in the ass last year losing to the raiders and falcons in consecutive weeks. if they can play, then play them. i might sit ward out, but hampton and polamalu sound like they are set on playing.

Rotorhead
10-05-2007, 05:35 AM
I would have to agree with jj on that one. If they can play then play them. Then they will have 2 weeks to heal. I think we will see Ward and Troy on the field playing.

alittlejazzbird
10-05-2007, 10:09 AM
If troy for some reason can't play( I hope he does) is there any chance anthony smith could fill in at strong safety, I know we have a reliable backup for troy in tyrone carter, but could the staff give the nod to anthony?

According to the Post-Gazette, Anthony Smith will start for Troy if he can't play:

Polamalu was initially said to have sustained an abdominal strain when he was tackled on a fumble return against the Cardinals. But because the Steelers did not have the medical equipment to properly evaluate his injury, he was kept from the game as a precautionary measure.

The cartilage tear was not detected until the team returned to Pittsburgh. Polamalu did not practice again yesterday and might not play against the Seahawks. He would be replaced by second-year safety Anthony Smith.

"I feel good, but I don't know [if I'll play]," Polamalu said. "It depends if [coach Mike Tomlin] wants something to linger for 10 weeks. That's the danger with any injury. It's definitely an injury than can get worse."

Lord Stiller
10-05-2007, 10:16 AM
Anthony Smith is better suited to play strong safety rather than free safety anyways. It might be a good idea to rest Troy if he is not close to 100%

COSteelerfan
10-05-2007, 11:25 AM
if Troy sits he will surely ready to go when they play the broncos!!!

The Duke
10-05-2007, 11:28 AM
:cheer: Anthony Smith on SS

alittlejazzbird
10-05-2007, 01:06 PM
Defeinitely not the best news...

Steelers receiver Hines Ward will miss his second consecutive game, Sunday against Seattle at Heinz Field, with a knee injury.
Ward was one of four players not to practice Friday, along with cornerback Bryant McFadden (ankle), nose tackle Casey Hampton (hamstring) and safety Troy Polamalu (abdomen).

Hampton said he will be a gametime decision. Polamalu is questionable, according to coach Mike Tomlin, who said Polamalu has a "50-50" chance of playing.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribunereview/sports/steelers/s_531162.html

TackleMeBen
10-05-2007, 01:12 PM
if ward doesnt play this could make for a long day for ben

jjpro11
10-05-2007, 01:13 PM
Defeinitely not the best news...

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribunereview/sports/steelers/s_531162.html

well this sucks. so much for hampton and polamalu not even being listed on the injury report like earlier this week. :banging:

83-Steelers-43
10-05-2007, 01:17 PM
Steelers' Ward, McFadden won't play Sunday
Friday, October 05, 2007
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers will be without Pro Bowl receiver Hines Ward and cornerback Bryant McFadden for Sunday's 1 p.m. game against the Seattle Seahawks at Heinz Field, Coach Mike Tomlin said today.

It the second game in a row Ward will miss with a sprained knee. He has not practiced since sustaining the injury Sept. 23 against San Francisco.

Tomlin said he will list safety Troy Polamalu (rib cartilage) and nose tackle Casey Hampton (hamstring) as questionable, even though neither player practiced this week and are not expected to play.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07278/823181-66.stm

The Duke
10-05-2007, 01:19 PM
Without ward we at least need troy and casey to play, we need our D to keep us in the game if we can't connect consistently with the receivers

83-Steelers-43
10-05-2007, 01:35 PM
I'm more concerned with the possibility of not having Casey Hampton on Sunday. At least on offense we will have Spaeth back.

Atlanta Dan
10-05-2007, 01:59 PM
What happened with Troy & Casey this week?

I thought on Tuesday Tomlin said they both would play?

alittlejazzbird
10-05-2007, 02:20 PM
What happened with Troy & Casey this week?

I thought on Tuesday Tomlin said they both would play?

Probably after a closer examination by the doctors, the injuries turned out to be more than initially thought. And we definitely don't want these guys struggling with lingering stuff down the stretch.

I like our chances against Seattle much better with them playing, but as Coach Tomlin says, injuries can never be an excuse. Everyone else will have to step up - and I'm actually looking forward to seeing what Anthony Smith can do in Troy's spot.

Atlanta Dan
10-05-2007, 02:41 PM
With these injury issues, if gambling was not illegal someone might be sorely tempted to take the Seahawks +6 this week - if anyone plans to bet the Steelers this weekend they are paying a heavy "public team" tax for doing so.