PDA

View Full Version : An excellent perspective on the Arizona loss

alittlejazzbird
10-02-2007, 07:15 PM
Couldn't have said this better myself, and it perfectly sums up how I feel about Sunday's loss. It's actually the intro to an NBC Sports article about underperforming teams (of which Pittsburgh is not one in the article).
Slow starters
Calling out and trying to fix the underperformers
By Tom Curran
NBCSports.com

Sometimes, a beating's just a beating. You can shrug, move on and return to business without trying to find the black box to figure out what went wrong. The Steelers had one of those Sunday when they lost in Arizona, 21-14. Pittsburgh's been terrific to this point. They were just beaten in the desert by a team coached by their former offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt (how sweet must that win have been for him?). Just move on, Mike Tomlin.

Pittsburgh was the exception, though. Across the league, teams that were believed to be anywhere from decent to excellent are heading South in a hurry.....

http://www.nbcsports.com/portal/site/nbcsports/menuitem.6f806e473b4cb158fb00ec22493c2d04/?vgnextoid=9cac770c60265110VgnVCM10000075c1d240RCR D&cpsextcurrchannel=1

delhess
10-02-2007, 08:16 PM
that's a good quote and i think it is a good perspective. i think we as fans didn't think pittsburgh would lose a game before the bye.

i had said last week that i thought we would win one of these two games (arizona & seattle) and i hope i am right. i think that the steelers performance this week against seattle will say a lot about the 07 steelers. a loss is gonna happen. most of us thought that 4-6 losses this year was a good target. pittsburgh is gonna lose some games!

how tomlin handles his first loss, will tell us how confident he really is, under his smooth exterior. he looks so confident and focused on the sidelines, how did he look to the players today when he told them that everything was all right and its just one game. are the players gonna buy into his gameplans?

some bad losses can make a good team a lot better, and i feel a sense of relief that they have one behind them. virtually everyone had them picked to win against arizona, and that is not always a healthy environment at week 4. the pressure will mount if the steelers can continue to win some key games in the future, and it will matter more if they are playing flawless football at the end of the schedule. we have some tough divisional games ahead of us and the team needs keep their nose to the grind stone. soul searching in week 4 and 5 is a good thing!

alittlejazzbird
10-02-2007, 08:42 PM
i had said last week that i thought we would win one of these two games (arizona & seattle) and i hope i am right. i think that the steelers performance this week against seattle will say a lot about the 07 steelers. a loss is gonna happen. most of us thought that 4-6 losses this year was a good target. pittsburgh is gonna lose some games!

I hope you're right, too. A win over Seattle heading into the bye would reinforce the notion that the Arizona loss was just "one of those things," not to mention that it would allow the entire Steeler Nation to exhale.

A loss? Well, a loss on Sunday wouldn't be the end of the world, but it would make that bye week seem like an eternity. A win, therefore, would be a really good thing.

My preseason prediction was 11-5 and winning the division. I'm sticking with that.

Black@Gold Forever32
10-02-2007, 09:55 PM
Thats why I'm not really bothered about the loss...Sure it sucked the Steelers lost....But I didn't expect them to 16-0....Plus I think they're a better team then what they showed on Sunday....There is 12 more games and no reason to panic....I think the Steelers rebound this week and beat the Seahawks 27-20...

Galax Steeler
10-03-2007, 03:50 AM
I think we beat the seahawks also this week with a healthy ward and holmes stepping up the way he is we should put some points on the board.

Steel Pit
10-03-2007, 05:57 AM
You got it, the Steelers, along with EVERY other NFL team, are destined to lose some games and Arizona was a PERFECT game for us to lose. This NFC loss doesn't hurt us in the slightest.

If I could choose the 2 or 3 other losses that the Steelers will suffer this year I would go with the Rams, Jets and Dolphins. The Rams are NFC so no harm done there, the Jets and the Dolphins will not be playoff teams so we wont have to worry about any tie-breaker scenarios with them.

Hey, you have to pick your losses carefully. I would much rather lose the aforementioned games as opposed to losing divisional games against the hated Ravens, Bengals or Browns.

AFC Conference losses against the Patriots, Jaguars or Broncos wouldn't sit well either.

I'm glad that we lost to the Cardinals. Losses ARE GOING TO OCCUR. There's been 41 Super Bowl Championship teams and ALL BUT ONE have had a few blemishes on their record.

Haiku_Dirtt
10-03-2007, 04:29 PM
I agree completely. Sort of.

The one play I still can't shake off is Ben's INT into double coverage. I think ATL Dan made the comparison to the Cincy game last season which ultimately became the beginning of the end.

Shaking off Wilson and Nate and Ike making dumb mistakes is easy. Having your leader self-implode at the most critical juncture of a game AGAIN is a perspective that we'll have to ice for now.

Just more "Elevator Music."