PDA

View Full Version : Big Ben OFF!!!

SteelDogFan
10-05-2007, 03:45 PM
First things first;

This is not a Ben Roethlisberger bashing thread!!!

I finally got to see some of the game on NFL replay and the thing that stuck out to me was Ben missed a lot of receivers. I mean he was under throwing, over throwing, side throwing you name it. Does anyone think he was off target more than usual. Was it because Ward was not on the field. Was it due to the fact that Wiz and Grim new how to stop the offense. If he has a game like that against Seattle, well I still dont think the Seahawks will win. But am concerned that he was so off with his throws.

83-Steelers-43
10-05-2007, 03:52 PM
lol, oh boy. Pack your bags, purchase a one way flight to Argentina and sleep with a shotgun by your side.

But on that note, I agree with the majority of what you stated. While the o-line protection was bad last game, I think Ben has to take some of the blame. It almost looked like he was trying to do too much......hmmm, I wonder why?

If I were you, I would stick with the "He can walk on water and can do no wrong" frame of mind. You would be better off. :wink02:

TroysBadDawg
10-05-2007, 03:54 PM
If this is not a ben bashing thread someone sure is. looks like it anyway to me. But it is their opinion I think.

fansince'76
10-05-2007, 03:57 PM
I'll agree that Ben had a bad game - I also think Washington needs to learn how to run and finish routes....

83-Steelers-43
10-05-2007, 04:00 PM
If this is not a ben bashing thread someone sure is. looks like it anyway to me. But it is their opinion I think.

If he stated Ben shouldn't be the Pittsburgh QB and that he sucks, then that's bashing in my opinion.

Simply pointing out the fact that he wasn't on top of his game last week (God forbid) is not bashing in my book. Maybe that's just me.

revefsreleets
10-05-2007, 04:05 PM
Nah, he was out of rythym, and it was definitely not his best game.

Haiku_Dirtt
10-05-2007, 04:10 PM
lol, oh boy. Pack your bags, purchase a one way flight to Argentina and sleep with a shotgun by your side.

But on that note, I agree with the majority of what you stated. While the o-line protection was bad last game, I think Ben has to take some of the blame. It almost looked like he was trying to do too much......hmmm, I wonder why?

Spain is also an excellent destination for fugitives.

Wilson and Washington hung Ben out to dry more than once. If Wilson isn't on a plane to Madrid already then let's hope he makes his connection before Sunday morning.

We always miss Hines when he is out. Could it be possible that we also miss Matt Spaeth? Eh. He may only have three catches but two were TD's.

SteelerFanInCA
10-05-2007, 04:17 PM
Ben may have been off a bit on a few off his throws but he should definitley bounce back this week.

Preacher
10-05-2007, 04:21 PM
I have to agree that it was a bit Ben. There were some throws he made that he simply should not have made.

The WR also ran some wrong routes. The interception in the endzone looked like a timing pattern that the DB simply jammed the receiver on, allowing another DB to step up for the pick.

So what do we learn? We learn that when Ben tries too hard, he makes mistakes. When he relaxes and allows the game to unfold, he plays pretty dang good.

83-Steelers-43
10-05-2007, 04:24 PM
Spain is also an excellent destination for fugitive.

I figured he could take the Adolf Eichmann route. :smile:

OX1947
10-05-2007, 04:34 PM
Forget about his play, red zone interceptions destroy the will of a team. He needs to stop those damn turnovers in the red zone. The reason why we sucked last year was because of red zone turnovers. Now if you add that and the two most important defensive players and 2 other key guys were out late in the game, that will all bunch up together on why we lost. The only positive was Santonio had his break out game as a #1 receiver and thats only gonna build his confidence and I expect many more 50 yard TDs from him...

alittlejazzbird
10-05-2007, 04:40 PM
Sometimes I think Ben is a much more emotional player than he lets on. His missteps last week, followed by his later admission that the game did mean more to him than just another game, leads me to be a little concerned heading into Sunday.

You have to think he's dying to prove that his 9 for 21 performance in the Super Bowl was the exception and not the rule, and that this team can outright beat Seattle without the help of any questionable calls.

In my opinon, it will most definitely be "more than just another game" for Ben on Sunday, and the pressure he'll put on himself will be huge. How he reacts to that pressure could be the turning point, one way or the other, of the season.

tony hipchest
10-05-2007, 05:01 PM
i will say that when ben has been given manning or brady like time to throw he has been making some of the nicest throws of his career. both of his bombs to s. holmes this year were about as perfectly arched spirals as anyone throws. the one last weekend was to the outside shoulder of holmes in the enzone where no defender had a shot to touch it. another crossing pattern to miller where he put the ball right on millers hip was textbook. the pass 2 games ago to miller where he barely missed getting both feet in the ground was nice to.

are we the only team w/o 1 or 3 step drops and timing patterns in the playbook? play action is great but it takes so long to develop. the 9 in the box to stuff the run usually turns into a 7 man pass rush it seems.

SteelDogFan
10-05-2007, 05:04 PM
Be does push himself hard, he's very confident QB. I believe thats what happened last year. He pressed until he was allowed to come back early from injury and Cower allowed him to.

Steelers No-Huddle. I hope they run it this week. That is the exact type of offense he ran in college. It will only be fine tunned in a game situation. Plus please put Davenport in for a change a pace in the running game. The ground game must flow for Ben to flow. When Ben throws more than 30 times we lose. If he's 19-25 or so we win.

Steelerstrength
10-05-2007, 05:26 PM
By the numbers, opinions would be much different, as would the result of the game, had the receivers read the defense and run routes properly. I watched the replay twice, and kept seeing receivers make mistakes. Not breaking off a route when in an obvious blitz by the D, not putting effort into the route, breaking stride when running a fly (Washington would have easily been a TD), not looking for the ball at all, looking for the possibility of a pass to the outside shoulder (Wilson).

Now granted, these things happen at one time or another during a game, but they happened too often for my comfort. I say this because I know we can and will perform better! Enthusiastic & focused effort must be given every second, every play, every series, every game, period! That's what wins games.

I like Ben's emotion! He wants to win, and can get frustrated with the sub-par performance of a receiver. Santonio is showing that he wants to win! I don't know that I can say that about our other receivers who were out there.

Hines draws plenty of doubles when he's out there. That should open things up, as well as prevent so much QB pressure with one less pass rusher. :twocents:

We will win on Sunday!!! Ben will have a great game! Take it to the bank! :tt02::helmet:

iloveben7
10-05-2007, 05:33 PM
Ok I have to admit that it wasn't Ben's best game of his career. Yeah he's human, so he's not perfect. It's not ALL Ben's fault, he's only one little part of the team. They lose and win together. I wasn't able to watch the game on Sunday, so I finally watched it on NFL Network. I think the O-line needs to block better because that one time in the 2nd quarter I believe Ben was scrambling around all over the place and 3 defenders missed him, while our O-line was standing up looking around doing nothing. It ended up being a sack anyway. Also the one pass to Wilson, he wasn't even looking for the ball. To me I think he's still upset from training camp and preseason. Come on get over it and catch the ball because Ben's giving you the opportunity. Also the interception in the redzone was not Ben's fault. I actually though Miller caught it at first.

Anyways let Ben have his bad games and good games because he does make mistakes. He'll be praised when he wins and booed when he loses. I'm not one of those "fans", so just be prepared for a win on Sunday!!

The Duke
10-05-2007, 05:39 PM
i will say that when ben has been given manning or brady like time to throw he has been making some of the nicest throws of his career.

that's why I would like for the o line to give Ben at least, at least a second more to scan the defense, things would be different that way

iloveben7
10-05-2007, 05:41 PM
^exactly

HometownGal
10-05-2007, 05:54 PM
First things first;

This is not a Ben Roethlisberger bashing thread!!!

I finally got to see some of the game on NFL replay and the thing that stuck out to me was Ben missed a lot of receivers. I mean he was under throwing, over throwing, side throwing you name it. Does anyone think he was off target more than usual. Was it because Ward was not on the field. Was it due to the fact that Wiz and Grim new how to stop the offense. If he has a game like that against Seattle, well I still dont think the Seahawks will win. But am concerned that he was so off with his throws.

I expressed the same in another thread and agree with you 100%, SteelDog. :thumbsup: It sure didn't help that our former OC and OLC were on the other side of the fence last week and though the Steelers OL didn't have their best showing, Ben seemed a bit over-anxious at times and somewhat distracted.

Ben, in his post-game interview, took full responsibility for his less than stellar performance, which I believe shows a great deal of maturity on his part - something I felt he was lacking last season.

Elvis
10-05-2007, 06:21 PM
Ben will be just fine, just give him time. I think that Washington must show something in this time that Ward is out. If he doesnt do anything this game then I think that he is gonna be looking for work in the offseason.
There is no doubt that Ben was a little off last week, but he was pushing himself to hard trying to make plays to show Coach Whiz that "he can" do better with out him. I think that the Steelers revert to their old ways this weekend against the SeaBirds.. I am more worried about the Seahawks passrush against our OT's, and the start LB the Hawks have gotten is pretty darn good as well... Peterson I think... We must protect our QB sunday or its gonna be a long day. Maybe this is where Willie must run some up the middle and take those passrushers out of their games.
:tt02:

revefsreleets
10-05-2007, 07:23 PM
I'm not so sure about the INT in the endzone guys. I think he threw that pass into double coverage without looking. My guess was at the time that it was a play that they thought would completely fool the Cards and they had it sniffed out.

Edman
10-05-2007, 07:42 PM
Ben was off his game. The Red Zone INT was a HORRIBLE throw. It definately wasn't one of his best games. He had a bad game. Hope he bounces back this week.

Ben has to establish better chemistry and timing with Nate. He does so well with Santonio. I don't see why he can't do it with Nate. Wilson is a chump.

Oh and...

Providence: "It's Willie Parker's fault".

TackleMeBen
10-05-2007, 07:51 PM
well at least if we lose we can blame Parker...lol

24seven
10-05-2007, 09:05 PM
i think the hardest thing to swallow is having 20 shitty ass drives and ending with one of the best drives of the year.. and knowing thats how we SHOULD be playing every time we get the ball.. We have a great team with so much potential and when they play like they did for 90 percent of the game last week i wanna kick my tv screen in.. Maybe we should do hurry up more often.. Seems like every time we do Ben gets his rhythm and we score almost everytime.. Def not all bens fault though.. Couple times Washington should have stepped up.. He knew at the start of the game it was his time to shine and he dropped the ball imo.. literally.. Holmes is making great strides though and maybe we need a little more Reed.. Cedric def is not off to a good start or ben has forgotten about him.. And why we went away from our tight ends this game i have no idea.. The play calling was not good and thats where i'd start for potential reasons for the loss.. Ben WAS relied on to much and we shouldn't be doing that to him but the run game was shit and the O line better get there asses off to a stronger start this week or kiss the our chances goodbye.. I've watched to many years of Steelers football to be naive to the fact that our chances are not good with the play i've seen so far.. Yes we've had good games but look at who we've played.. were not bowl bound just cause we beat the browns.. bills and niners.. thats for damn sure.. BUT... we DO have the potential and thats why i get frustrated with this team.. Inconsistency.. And healthy players.. Troy goes out and seemed we fell apart.. Just gotta get some other players to step up..

Steelerstrength
10-05-2007, 09:44 PM
I'm not so sure about the INT in the endzone guys. I think he threw that pass into double coverage without looking. My guess was at the time that it was a play that they thought would completely fool the Cards and they had it sniffed out.

On NFL Replay, Ben said that he "Never saw the safety come over." He said that he was focused on the TE.

Replay is pretty good about interviewing players about important plays from the game.

beSteelmyheart
10-05-2007, 10:19 PM
I'm just going to go for the simplest explanation & probably the most far fetched...a combination of Karma & Ben being un nerved around Whiz & thus trying too hard.

SteelDogFan
10-06-2007, 11:17 AM
Good perspective maybe he was trying to show Wiz that in their debates and feuds he was right instead of going out and playing QB he tried to do to much.

Oh yeah the interception in the end zone was a perfect defensive call. How many quik slants did ben throgh to Ward and the red zone, tones. I guarantee you they were looking for the quick throw Thats just another thing that shows how well Wiz knows Bens tendencies. When he sent in the defensive call he probably to the D watch for the quick toss or the right slant

tony hipchest
10-06-2007, 04:07 PM
Good perspective maybe he was trying to show Wiz that in their debates and feuds he was right instead of going out and playing QB he tried to do to much.

Oh yeah the interception in the end zone was a perfect defensive call. How many quik slants did ben throgh to Ward and the red zone, tones. I guarantee you they were looking for the quick throw Thats just another thing that shows how well Wiz knows Bens tendencies. When he sent in the defensive call he probably to the D watch for the quick toss or the right slant

slug- o- seam (pump fake, turn, and throw the slant)

"americas game" of the 2002 bucs shows how gruden, knew when gannon was gonna run this play and they practiced it extensively. you can look at it as gannons "bread and butter" play. john lynch was correctly calling out the play on the field. rich gannon was picked apart like a carcass in that game.

now gannon isnt a horrible qb. i think he was the MVP of the league that year. it just shows how even one of the best qb's can be made to look silly when the opposition knows what is coming.

with ward not in the game, whiz did a great job in accurately predicting what arians was gonna run. ben and the steelers executed the play perfectly. it wouldve been a td if the cardinals defense didnt execute their side perfectly.

bens int in the endzone can be credited to excellent coaching by the opposition as opposed to bad play on the field by ben.

iloveben7
10-06-2007, 07:34 PM
Ben, in his post-game interview, took full responsibility for his less than stellar performance, which I believe shows a great deal of maturity on his part - something I felt he was lacking last season.
Ben took the blame for every game last year too

RoethlisBURGHer
10-06-2007, 07:42 PM
Ben sure didn't get any help from the o-line, running game, or his recievers besides Holmes last week.

Washington and Wilson are both complete freaking bums.

steel striker
10-06-2007, 08:06 PM
Well that's just one game on loss so let's move on here. As fans we tend to over anaylize. We did not have a running game and, as almost always we gave up a special teams touchdown. You can't put all of that on Ben. I still say we need to use Davenport or Davis on those short yards situations. Tomorrow is a big game for us and, I think will be fine. Ben will have a great game and, the o-line will play better. Now our wr's are going have to step up and, make sure they are on the same page with Ben. Also let's use Willie more in the passing game. Our defense will be fine come on people have some faith.

iloveben7
10-09-2007, 06:53 PM
was Ben off this week?
I don't think so

Edman
10-09-2007, 07:03 PM
Big Ben ON!!!

iloveben7
10-09-2007, 07:08 PM
^yeah he was

TheManOfSteel
10-09-2007, 07:25 PM
Ben is doing fine. Some of you people forget that there is a NEW offenssive playbook and there are new WR that dont know everthing yet. We are coming along fine.

tony hipchest
10-09-2007, 07:39 PM
Ben is doing fine. Some of you people forget that there is a NEW offenssive playbook and there are new WR that dont know everthing yet. We are coming along fine.washington, wilson, and reid better know it yet or else they can follow d. baker or f. gibson out the door.

theyve had as much time with the playbook as hines and holmes. washington and wilson have no excuse. they just need to continue stepping up when asked to step up.

fansince'76
10-09-2007, 07:41 PM
This thread is kinda funny after reading some of the ball licking Tony Romo is getting after throwing 5 picks and losing a fumble last night. "Next Roger Staubach," indeed. :chuckle:

iloveben7
10-09-2007, 08:53 PM
Yeah I was hysterically laughing last night when Romo threw 5 interceptions and they were comparing him to the legend QB's. I just don't understand.

steelpride12
10-09-2007, 10:09 PM
HAHA bad timing for a thread most def. after a 18-22 206 yard game where he had 13 straight completions.

Sorry to say, but Ben is ON!

Preacher
10-10-2007, 02:59 AM
Yeah I was hysterically laughing last night when Romo threw 5 interceptions and they were comparing him to the legend QB's. I just don't understand.

yep.

Just gotta laugh. But remember, Ben is just a game manager!