PDA

View Full Version : Smith at SS?

ohiosteelerfan20
10-05-2007, 05:06 PM
Is this true? Is Anthony Smith going to play SS this week instead of Tyrone Carter, if Troy doesnt play? I for one, sure hope this is true.

83-Steelers-43
10-05-2007, 05:11 PM
According to the PPG, yes.......

How can that be?

Polamalu was initially said to have sustained an abdominal strain when he was tackled on a fumble return against the Cardinals. But because the Steelers did not have the medical equipment to properly evaluate his injury, he was kept from the game as a precautionary measure.

The cartilage tear was not detected until the team returned to Pittsburgh. Polamalu did not practice again yesterday and might not play against the Seahawks. He would be replaced by second-year safety Anthony Smith.

"I feel good, but I don't know [if I'll play]," Polamalu said. "It depends if [coach Mike Tomlin] wants something to linger for 10 weeks. That's the danger with any injury. It's definitely an injury than can get worse."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07278/823099-66.stm

Preacher
10-05-2007, 05:14 PM
According to the PPG, yes.......

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07278/823099-66.stm

Wow.

KEEP HIM OUT. let him sit this game, the bye week, and the following week. LET HIM HEAL for the stretch run!

Come on A.smith.

83-Steelers-43
10-05-2007, 05:15 PM
Whether he does replace Troy is still questionable in my opinion. When Carter does get his chances he has played pretty solid. I wouldn't be shocked to see Tomlin go with the veteran Carter nor would I be shocked to see him go with the young, hard hitting Anthony Smith.

But I do have to question the PPG when it comes to automatically making the assumption that Smith is getting the start if Troy is out. I do not recall Tomlin or anybody else for that matter involved with the Steeler organization making that statement. Unless I missed something?

Preacher
10-05-2007, 05:18 PM
Check that previous post....

Sit them ALL. Troy, Ward, etc. etc.

we have a stretch of 3. THREE! divisional games coming up. With the failure of Baltimore and the implosion of the Bengals. The smart thing we can do is risk a loss this week and sweep the divisional games.

ohiosteelerfan20
10-05-2007, 05:24 PM
Thanks 83-Steelers-43 for the post . I hate that Troy cant play, I think he is their best player, but I am kinda excited to see Smith play more. The man hits with bad intentions.

83-Steelers-43
10-05-2007, 05:25 PM
Thanks 83-Steelers-43 for the post . I hate that Troy cant play, I think he is their best player, but I am kinda excited to see Smith play more. The man hits with bad intentions.

No problem at all OSF.

But as I stated in another thread, I'm more concerned with Hampton being out than I am Troy. I think our depth at the safety position is one of our stronger areas of depth on the roster. By no means is that a shot at Troy, I would love nothing more than to have him this Sunday, but I can at least say we have some solid depth behind him.

Hampton being out this Sunday makes me very uncomfortable. Hampton tends to be underappreciated. Much like A. Smith. Example: On ESPN (go figure) they stated we could be in trouble because Hines is out and we might not have Polamalu. No mention of Hampton. One of the best NT's in the league. This is a guy who takes two people on with ease and has three pro bowl appearances. Not a word.

Atlanta Dan
10-05-2007, 05:29 PM
Check that previous post....

Sit them ALL. Troy, Ward, etc. etc.

we have a stretch of 3. THREE! divisional games coming up. With the failure of Baltimore and the implosion of the Bengals. The smart thing we can do is risk a loss this week and sweep the divisional games.

I agree resting everyone is tempting, but my concern is 2 lossses going into the bye wipes out the momentum of the 3-0 start.

FWIW Sports Guy Bill Simmons agrees the Steelers opponents have slipped - he has a new power ranking list out (Steelers at #5) and has these comments:

24. Cincinnati
On the heels of Tony Dungy's best-selling book, Marvin Lewis announced he's releasing one called, "What Do I Have To Do To Get Fired?"

13. Baltimore
When the Ravens' defense takes on the Rams' offense in Week 6, it's going to be like watching Michael Douglas and Sharon Stone getting it on in "Basic Instinct 3."

5b. Seattle
5a. Pittsburgh
I don't see a difference between these two teams. They're both 3-1. They're really good at home. They reached the Super Bowl two years ago. They gave away games to Arizona this season. They're going to win their divisions by 2-3 games. They have up-and-down QBs who are good enough to be fantasy starters, but not good enough to keep their owners from shopping around for Romo, Brady or Palmer. They have quality running backs who were first-round fantasy picks but haven't totally won the confidence of their fans. They have a recognizable Samoan guy on defense. And they hail from cities known for grunge music, great coffee and tons of rain.

(All right, not everything's the same. But you can't tell me Pittsburgh is better than Seattle, or vice-versa. So why would Pittsburgh be favored by six this week? How does that make sense?)

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/071005&sportCat=nfl

The Duke
10-05-2007, 05:34 PM
I'll be cheering all day for anthony. But I still hope troy can play, but only if he's 100 percent fine, we can't have him injured for the second half of the season

jjpro11
10-05-2007, 07:16 PM
the first time i get to go to a game at heinz since 2004 and our 3 best players our out. :dang:

Galax Steeler
10-06-2007, 04:48 AM
I wish polamolu could play but I want to see smith in action and see what he can do.

Elvis
10-06-2007, 06:50 AM
:coffee:
If Tomlin and Co. start Smith over Carter at SS it would
be a very big suprise to me. Last year when Troy
was injured the last part of the season, Clark
played well.
:tt02:

Glace
10-06-2007, 08:10 AM
First of all - Nobody in this league can "replace" Troy if he can't go this week....they can only fill his spot on the field.

Second - With as hard as Smith hits....Look for Alexander to get decapitated sometime in the 1st quarter :toofunny:

NateC
10-06-2007, 10:48 AM
Yes Smith Hits..

but when im thinking Head Bangers... Im thinking Sean Taylor. Im thinking Ed Reed..

Prove me wrong ANthony. Show me you on that level .
Personally i think he right below that level .
..... At this point in his Career. But i think if He was On that Level he woulda been on it since day one... We see............:blah::blah::blah::cheer::cheer::ch eer:

DACEB
10-09-2007, 08:37 PM
For those of you that saw the game first hand, how did Smith play?

tony hipchest
10-09-2007, 08:55 PM
For those of you that saw the game first hand, how did Smith play?i think ed bouchette summed it up best:

averes: Ed, do you think we will use last week's defensive scheme more on teams that try to exploit our pass defense? And, what was your take on the safety combination of Clark and Smith?

Ed Bouchette: I think you'll see a lot of different things from the defense as time goes by. Yes, I think the cover 2 scheme helped their corners. I thought Ryan Clark had his best game as a Steeler, and he played strong safety, something he played in Wash.
i think theres alot of teams out ther that would like clark and smith as their starting safety tandem. and i know theres alot who would like polamalu and carter theres alot of things steelerfans can bragabout but our depth at safety is probably the brightest light. it seems people are so eager to see smith in the line up, its almost a shame that it seems clark already has 1 foot out the door.

its a good problem to have. (where are the colts w/o bob sanders?)

DACEB
10-09-2007, 09:23 PM
Thanks Tony, these guys will be key when it comes time to play the Pats and possibly the Colts come playoff time.

I think Bouchette is right when he says there are alot of different things yet to be seen from this defense.

steelpride12
10-09-2007, 10:08 PM
i wouldn't worry about this too much it's just temporary till Troy is back. We should be thinking about when is a good time for Smith to take Ryan Clarks position, but i think at this time Clark stays in for his good 5 game perfomaces so far.

jjpro11
10-10-2007, 12:40 AM
i wouldn't worry about this too much it's just temporary till Troy is back. We should be thinking about when is a good time for Smith to take Ryan Clarks position, but i think at this time Clark stays in for his good 5 game perfomaces so far.

i dont think there is any need for smith to replace clark. clark can hit too and is probably just better overall right now. he has the experience and is better in coverage. smith is still young. no need to mess with success.

Preacher
10-10-2007, 02:18 AM
We have three players that can line up at safety for a long time to come.

We are set. Thank goodness!!

Now, if we can just get a little deeper at CB. IKe has stepped up. But I want another shutdown like him... and then a STRONG CB as well.

I know, I want it all.

Galax Steeler
10-10-2007, 04:59 AM
I think we need to start thinking about the cb situation we will need to address it soon.