PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin Quicker to Bench Hurt Players Than Cowher?

tony hipchest
10-05-2007, 07:27 PM
it seems tomlin is very cautious with injured players. i dont think cowher ever had a "you dont practice on friday, you dont play on sunday" policy but it seems that tomlin pretty much does to this point.

i think this week is as much as a "must win game" as anything if we dont want our playoff hopes rely of other teams sucking or blowing it bungles style down the road).

so is it better too have a 75% hines, polamalu, and hampton out there for a hopeful win, or play it safe, and get the back ups some valuable experience, as more of a gamble yet still hopeful win?

i know it varies with each player but using hines, troy and hampton as the examples, do you think its better to go with the "no practice= no play" philosophy

The Duke
10-05-2007, 07:46 PM
could be a good thing could be bad. If it was very important game(say the pats game) and a player was hurt and not 100 percent but can play, that imo should be a moment in which tomlin puts the player on the field. right now we're still at the beginning of the season with a 3-1 record against a good team, but the season is long, so as of right now not letting them play seems smarter.

I'm not ready to call Tomlin a smarter guy than coach cowher, but he's getting points in his favor for this

Preacher
10-05-2007, 07:53 PM
On the philosphy itself, I am impartial.

However, on those players playing... I have to say, I want them to sit. As I said in another thread, we can blow threw the league this year, that will mean 6 wins and winning the tie-breakers. then, we 2 more wins already, which would give us 8. With this scenario, we can cherry pick 2 more wins and we should have the division.

Browns will DEFINITELY get there third loss this week, and that is our closest team right now.

So no, I say sit them.

slippy
10-05-2007, 07:55 PM
being that it's early in the season they should sit. also, these injuries will be helped by the bye week. the upcoming stretch of afc games is more important than an nfc game in week 5.

hoke is a great backup for big snack, and it would be nice for anthony smith to be able to play FS and SS!

Ward will miss his fourth game in 1 1/4 years...very troublesome.

revefsreleets
10-05-2007, 08:13 PM
It depends on the player. Can Ward go without practicing? Sure. Troy? Definitely. Casey? Yep. But there are a lot of players I'd say no to.

NJarhead
10-05-2007, 08:18 PM
being that it's early in the season they should sit. also, these injuries will be helped by the bye week. the upcoming stretch of afc games is more important than an nfc game in week 5.

hoke is a great backup for big snack, and it would be nice for anthony smith to be able to play FS and SS!

Ward will miss his fourth game in 1 1/4 years...very troublesome.

I'm glad this game is at home. I have to be honest, with the potential for there being FOUR starters out for this one, I'm concerned.

We'll need to depend on Gay (unproven) Nate (unpredictable) A. Smith or Simmons? We may be okay there, and Hoke (very proven but I recall hearing he has an ailment as well).

I'd like to see Ced remind the coaches who he is in this one. Also, Spaeth could make some "Hines Ward Necessity" type 3rd down catches for us....I hope. I also hope the stadium is loud enough to cause at least some offensive comm problems. We need to get some serious pressure though. I'd like to see the kind of pressure we put on Peyton in the Divsional game in '05.
Anyone have any points that may cheer me up a bit?

EmDoubleU
10-06-2007, 04:44 AM
Because we have a buy week next week, i would sit them out or bring them off the bench later on. If the backups play well this will only make us stronger and the confidence higher. We have a tough next 3 games. @denver, @cincy, and home vs ravens.

Galax Steeler
10-06-2007, 04:51 AM
I'm glad this game is at home. I have to be honest, with the potential for there being FOUR starters out for this one, I'm concerned.

We'll need to depend on Gay (unproven) Nate (unpredictable) A. Smith or Simmons? We may be okay there, and Hoke (very proven but I recall hearing he has an ailment as well).

I'd like to see Ced remind the coaches who he is in this one. Also, Spaeth could make some "Hines Ward Necessity" type 3rd down catches for us....I hope. I also hope the stadium is loud enough to cause at least some offensive comm problems. We need to get some serious pressure though. I'd like to see the kind of pressure we put on Peyton in the Divsional game in '05.
Anyone have any points that may cheer me up a bit?

Who is gay replacing?

Glace
10-06-2007, 08:17 AM
I think it's a very good thing to keep these guys off the field until they're closer to 100%

I love seeing all of them suited up and creating havoc on the field....but their longevity as the season goes on is much more important to me.

Maybe Troy's rib injury causes him not to hit so hard...and guys end up breaking tackles on him? Maybe Ward misses a step and looks as bad as Nate Washington did last week because he can't plant and run precision routes? Big Hamp's strength and push off the line is very important...if he doesn't have it, we might as well put a backup in there and let him get the experience.

No...give these guys 2 weeks to heal up with the bye coming up.

I'll take 100% + less experience over 75% + more experience any day. We need these guys down the stretch and that is far more important than a game against the seahawks right now.

stillers4me
10-06-2007, 08:44 AM
Watching the Steelers play a big game without Troy, Casey and Hines is like watching your favorite 70's band play with a substitute lead singer, drummer and bass guitar player. It's the Steelers but it's not. Like last years opener against Miami without Ben. (thanking the football gods for Charlie Batch).

I know sitting them this week is in the best interest of both the players and the team.

I just hope we have a few guys step up big time........coach says injuries are no excuse for losing. Tomlin, Ariens, Lebeau at least have time to game plan around the substitutions........man, that wasn't pretty last week watching
Troy and Hines sit helplessly on the side while Arizona marched up the field on us. It was a cruel reminder of last years Baltimore game..............I hate it when Hines has that look on his face. And the media loves showing it to us, don't they?

I don't think Ben will be out on the field playing with a concussion under Tomlin's watch. That definitely a good thing and I'm grateful for his caution with our guys health and the long term goals of the season and the future of this team. But I sure would feel better about this game if we had all the guns loaded.

Here's to not playing catch up after the byeweek and to our young guys having their break out game. :cheers:

Here we Steelers, here we go!

Atlanta Dan
10-06-2007, 10:27 AM
If the injuries are significantly severe it is not just a question of aggravating the injury for the long term but what kind of performance you are getting - a loss pretty much wipes out the momentum that had been building since July, but it is only the first week in October - as the cliche goes, it is a marathon, not a sprint

I think you sit them and just hope Hoke does not go down (can Simmons switch from guard to back-up nose tackle?). FWIW we will get a chance to see if Smith is ready for prime time and if Washington spent anytime during the past week learning the plays.

What it does mean is that other players need to step up, notably our QB (who himself has a sore foot) who until this past week has been so verbose about how great it is that he has so much more input and responsibility - wonder what changed?

stillers4me
10-06-2007, 10:30 AM
Dang......I wish people would just keep off Ben's feet! (hint to the oline......)

SteelDogFan
10-06-2007, 11:01 AM
This is a big game for all the hoopla of it being a Superbowl rematch But thats it. The Steelers are one game up in the Div and need to give marquee players to to heal before the second quarter of the season when we start to play real AFC teams and divisional opponents.

After the bye, Broncos, Bengals, Ravens and then Cleveland (who is getting better and has more confidence than they did the first time they faced the Steelers).

I know after last week the Steelers need a win, but the more important thing is having these guys available for the long hall and not be at 80% for the rest season. I do agree though the Steelers without those players does seem kinda wierd.

Big D
10-06-2007, 03:15 PM
I think it's a good thing for two reasons. One it gives the injured player another game to rest up and for two missing practice can hurt your preperation for the team you are about ready to play. So far I have liked all tomlins moves

WWIIOwheelz
10-06-2007, 03:35 PM
Non-division game, let 'em rest/heal.

If this were a division game, cortisone is their friend.

Preacher
10-06-2007, 03:55 PM
Non-division game, let 'em rest/heal.

If this were a division game, cortisone is their friend.

Thats about the size of it.

Big D
10-06-2007, 04:00 PM
I also dont think the seachickens pose a real threat for us

alittlejazzbird
10-06-2007, 06:27 PM

I wish I could share your confidence....I think Seattle matches up pretty well with us. I will be the first one to very happily admit I was wrong if we win easily tomorrow, but honestly I think we're going to have our hands full, especially down by three Pro Bowl players. I absolutely think we can win this game, but I don't have the level of confidence I had about the first three games. I worry about Ben's protection with Casey out.

However, there's no question in my mind that Tomlin is doing the right thing. We still have five division games to play, and we need all hands on deck for those. I'd rather have Hines, Troy and Casey back at 95-100% for Denver in two weeks, than have them struggle tomorrow and risk long-term injury.

As someone said earlier in this thread, I'll take less experience at 100%.

Atlanta Dan
10-06-2007, 06:50 PM

Afraid I disagree - Seattle has also blown a game in Arizona and whacked the 49ers.- these teams are very closely matched

With the injuries and Holmgren's ability to pick on defensive weaknesses, need a big game from the O-line (the Seahawks knocked Smith out of last week's game) and for Ben to show last week was just a matter of wanting it too bad and not a reversion to 2006 Ben.