PDA

View Full Version : Ben almost not a steeler

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
10-06-2007, 11:50 PM
http://postgazette.com/pg/07280/823519-66.stm

Rooney for Roethlisberger

Bill Cowher long took credit for drafting quarterback Ben Roethlisberger and said at one point he was the player the Steelers wanted all along when they picked 11th in 2004.

Turns out, Cowher did not want Roethlisberger, he wanted guard/tackle Sean Andrews of Arkansas. Dan Rooney changed his mind.

"I couldn't bear the thought of passing on another great quarterback prospect the way we had passed on Dan Marino in 1983, so I steered the conversation around to Roethlisberger,'' Rooney writes in his new autobiography. "After some more talk, we came to a consensus and picked Roethlisberger. . . He was just what we needed.''

RoethlisBURGHer
10-07-2007, 12:08 AM
Thank God Mr. Rooney changed Cowher's mind otherwise we might STILL be at 4 Super Bowl wins AND have Turnover Tommy Maddox behind center.

Edman
10-07-2007, 12:36 AM
Further evidence that Cowher DID NOT value the QB position.

The problem with the 2003 Steelers was the putrid secondary, O-Line injuries, and Turnover Tommy under center. What would drafting a rookie tackle do? Seriously?

I think 15-1 never happens if we don't draft Ben. In fact, I think we'd do no better than 8-8.

NateC
10-07-2007, 02:21 AM
Ummm.. Wait his Name Is And Forever Will Be Tommy " Gunn" Maddox. :hug:

GaryGlick
10-07-2007, 04:27 AM
According to legend, there was also a big internal debate the year before - maybe two? - between drafting Chad Pennington or Plaxico Burress.

Elvis
10-07-2007, 05:23 AM
:coffee:
With that being said... the Steelers would have done good with
Pennington at QB I believe. He just hasnt had the team around him
that Ben has had. Bill Cowher proved to me that he was not big
on a QB when he just kept giving Kordell chance after chance. If Kordell would have just stayed Slash there is no telling what kind of
stats the young man would have ended up with. Yeh.. its good
to know that we have a great Owner that knows or is involved
in what is really going on with his team and is knowledgeable about
what is going on in the draft.

Galax Steeler
10-07-2007, 06:42 AM
I wonder who our quarterback would be if we had not drafted rothlisburgher.

RoethlisBURGHer
10-07-2007, 09:07 AM
I wonder who our quarterback would be if we had not drafted rothlisburgher.

We'd have that QB from Bowling Green that we drafted and then cut the other year, Omar Jacobs, starting at QB.

Mosca
10-07-2007, 09:49 AM
Pennington was on track to be a Roethlisberger type until he had shoulder surgery. He would have been pretty good with any team.

Tom

Atlanta Dan
10-07-2007, 10:02 AM
My recollection is that on 2000 draft day (this was immediately following Cowher winning the power struggle with Donohoe) the Steelers were debating whether to go with Pennington or Plax, picked Burress, and then tried to trade Burress to the Jets to get the pick with which to select Pennington. The Steelers then opened up with Kent Graham at QB to start the 2000 season:dang:

In this link to a 2004 Steeters Fever draft preview, it is stated Colbert & Cowher were still regretting passing on Pennington, but that all would be well since the Steelers would pick Rivers (after Ben had been selected by the Browns)

http://www.steelersfever.com/editorials/0410.html

After Pennington took the Jets to the 2002 AFC championship game it looked like the Steelers missed out on drafting a franchise QB, but then injuries hit. Another example as to how assessing the quality of draft picks takes time.

Preacher
10-07-2007, 10:19 AM
Funny thing is...

It sure makes the uneasiness between the coach and Ben understandable.

Every time Ben did well, it spotlighted Cowher's mistake amongst the F.O.

SteelersMongol
10-07-2007, 10:29 AM
Thank God Mr. Rooney changed Cowher's mind otherwise we might STILL be at 4 Super Bowl wins AND have Turnover Tommy Maddox behind center.

Exactly. :thumbsup:

Indy_Steelers
10-07-2007, 10:38 AM
I thought everybody already knew this.

delhess
10-07-2007, 11:18 AM
that's a pretty interesting article atlanta dan. sometimes you forget how things were before that draft. how telling was this statement?

However, with such a deep draft at multiple positions this year could be one to remember.

p.s. when did you become tomy's alter ego preach?

HometownGal
10-07-2007, 12:00 PM
Ummm.. Wait his Name Is And Forever Will Be Tommy " Gunn" Maddox. :hug:

I thank God for Tommy Maddox. He saved us from several more seasons of Kordodo. :thumbsup:

jjpro11
10-07-2007, 08:08 PM
tommy gave us a fun ride in 02.. i dont think anyone can deny that.. we were a joe nedney academy award away from playing in the afccg.

Preacher
10-07-2007, 08:10 PM
that's a pretty interesting article atlanta dan. sometimes you forget how things were before that draft. how telling was this statement?

However, with such a deep draft at multiple positions this year could be one to remember.

p.s. when did you become tomy's alter ego preach?

Just trying to draw out the good!

Dino 6 Rings
10-07-2007, 09:02 PM
I agree with Preacher, anything that removed #10 from under center was a step forward for the franchise. Had slash remained slash, he'd have crazy stats for sure, it may have even been him throwing that ball to ward in the superbowl on an end around...but he was too much of a head case.

As for the drafting of Pennington, that God we did not do that. He can't throw a 20 yard out.

As for Not drafting Ben...Cower sometimes tries to "out think the room" and be smarter than he needs to be. It was simple, we needed a new qb, a stud, and a franchise guy...don't think to hard...just do what everyone in the world knows you need to do...and take Ben...and he did, and we did and we know have 5 rings...

Preacher
10-07-2007, 09:06 PM
tommy gave us a fun ride in 02.. i dont think anyone can deny that.. we were a joe nedney academy award away from playing in the afccg.

Interestingly, if you go to the NFL channel when they play it, you will find that Tommy was NOT as good as everyone thought... he didn't play as well as we thought either.

Funny how history makes things a little different.

Dino 6 Rings
10-07-2007, 09:09 PM
Tommy only looked better than what we had in there prior to him coming in. Compared to Headcase Stewart, Tommy was fantastic...nothing like being the "extreme football league" MVP and getting a shot in the NFL...

anyway, Ben is our, he is the current franchise QB and I think he's doing a fantastic job.

polamalufan43
10-07-2007, 09:10 PM
I heard something about this. Something about us going with the guy from Ark.
I thought it was just coming out of the good ol rumor mill,
Pretty interesting how these things work.

~PF43:tt02: