PDA

View Full Version : Give Dan back to Willie!!!

SteelDogFan
10-07-2007, 12:58 PM
Without Ward and Holmes and a limited D-line we really need to establish a running game. Willie production is dropping and his long runs are not balancing out with his losses. Hes getting popped before he can even get to the line of scrimmage. The real fullback Dan Kreider needs to be reinserted into the offense at times.

NV STEELERS 723
10-07-2007, 02:55 PM
I think Dan is the consumate pro and he's a team guy..never have you heard a negative thing about Dan Krieder! He 's a good football player

#35 will no doubt be in front of Willie alot down the road....its not like they are throwing the ball to the FB , so why not keep Krieder blocking for Willie? !

delhess
10-07-2007, 03:18 PM
dan kreider's rushing stats for today : 1 for 2 yards

carey davis rushing stats for today : 2 for 1 yards

we know who can block better, so what's the problem? Keep dan!!!!

delhess
10-07-2007, 04:14 PM

After blocking a hole for the second td today, dan pulls up davenport and slaps his helmet before cooly walking away.

MJ5150
10-07-2007, 06:40 PM
It felt good to see Dan in there playing and laying out Seattle defenders.

I wore my Krieder jersey during the first half, and James Farrior during the second half.

-Mike

NV STEELERS 723
10-07-2007, 06:48 PM
MJ...good to see you back posting brother!

Preacher
10-07-2007, 06:51 PM
I don't know...

I think maybe it is a matter of allowing DK to keep healthy so that he and Dookie can simply pound, pound, pound in the second half of the season, second half of games.

We are going to need that down the stretch.

Stlrs4Life
10-07-2007, 07:40 PM
Dan Kreider deserves to be in the backfield as the starting FB over Davis. willie ran way better in there today while he was in play. Also look at both of Najehs' TDs. Kreider made way for him on both occasions.

Preacher
10-07-2007, 07:43 PM
Dan Kreider deserves to be in the backfield as the starting FB over Davis. willie ran way better in there today while he was in play. Also look at both of Najehs' TDs. Kreider made way for him on both occasions.

True.

But that also gives away the fact that we are going to be running. I would rather do what we are doing.

Can you imagine what DK will look like in game 14 making holes in the 3rd and 4th quarter? He may be THE GUY that closes the door on other teams.

OneForTheToe
10-07-2007, 08:01 PM
True.

But that also gives away the fact that we are going to be running. I would rather do what we are doing.

Can you imagine what DK will look like in game 14 making holes in the 3rd and 4th quarter? He may be THE GUY that closes the door on other teams.

I have to agree with Preacher here. I'm all for Krieder in short yardage and goalline but it's hard to argue with the play calling today.

HometownGal
10-07-2007, 08:12 PM
I'm a firm believer in lining up the experienced vet behind FWP. Kreider is a beast out there and gets those blocks in to open up the lanes much better than Davis imho. Davis is Dan's heir apparent and I think he's going to do just fine in that capacity down the road, but right now, I think the Steelers most solid option at FB is DK. :thumbsup:

Preacher
10-07-2007, 08:33 PM
I'm a firm believer in lining up the experienced vet behind FWP. Kreider is a beast out there and gets those blocks in to open up the lanes much better than Davis imho. Davis is Dan's heir apparent and I think he's going to do just fine in that capacity down the road, but right now, I think the Steelers most solid option at FB is DK. :thumbsup:

Oddly, I agree with you, which is why i am glad he is not playing right now... twisted logic, yes. But I just can't wait to see us destroy teams down the stretch because this man has fresh legs and a fresh body.

Glace
10-07-2007, 11:20 PM
Kreider is clearly the better blocker....that's not a question.

My original thought as to why Kreider took a seat to Davis was that Davis would be used more in the offensive gameplan.....however he obviously isn't being used to the extent I originally imagined.

Why keep Kreider waiting any more?

If for nothing else....Kreider comes in at critical times and also during cleanup time...and when he does...he's at 100% instead of having played a full game...that is a good thing.

Stlrs4Life
10-08-2007, 06:11 PM
I really do not think that the problem is Davis VS Kreider. The problem is the scheme goes away from Kreider. Arians likes sets that call for versatile players and Kreider does not fit that mold.

But, IMO, when you want to run, you run with Willie stacked behind Kreider. I think Kreider can catch and run well enough to see more time. IMO, Kreider is that type of unsung guy that will make our offensive unit better. He can pick up defensive players that slip through the cracks and make our OL look better than it is.

Preacher
10-08-2007, 06:16 PM
I really do not think that the problem is Davis VS Kreider. The problem is the scheme goes away from Kreider. Arians likes sets that call for versatile players and Kreider does not fit that mold.

But, IMO, when you want to run, you run with Willie stacked behind Kreider. I think Kreider can catch and run well enough to see more time. IMO, Kreider is that type of unsung guy that will make our offensive unit better. He can pick up defensive players that slip through the cracks and make our OL look better than it is.

Stlers4life....

that is a VERY smart post.

:thumbsup:

JackHammer
10-09-2007, 12:29 AM
I'd rather us use DK but at the same time, we're winning games. As long as we're winning games, we'll keep seeing Davis. We have the breathing room, W-L wise, to use Davis and get him quality playing time and experience. When we get into November and December when the stakes are higher, my guess is that we'll see DK a lot more at FB.
In the end DK will have fresher legs and Davis will at least have some experience if we need to call on him late in the season or even playoffs.

Steeldude
10-09-2007, 08:47 AM
on a different note, does parker put the ball on the ground every game? blocking or no blocking he is very loose with the ball. everytime he hits a pile i start looking on the field for the ball.

but back to the question. with the way the O-line blocks they may need kreider more often. i am tired of seeing 3 to 4 defenders flying into the backfield at a helpless parker.

Steel Pit
10-09-2007, 01:31 PM

I couldn't have said it better.

The Steelers continued attempts to run from a singleback formation are producing very little. Yes Wilie Parker leads the NFL in rushing but the vast majority of those yards are not attributed to running from a singleback formation.

In the games versus Arizona and Seattle, you saw Parker bottled up in the backfield, time after time, from the singleback formation. Once Kreider was installed in the backfield versus the Shehawks, the running yards began to pile up.

If the Steelers want to have success running the ball then they better plan on inserting Dan Kreider during at least 80% of the running plays. I think that the coaching staff woke up last week. Look for more Kreider in future games.

ShutDown24
10-09-2007, 02:08 PM
I have been watching this since Davis was named the starter and after being at the game in person Sunday here is my assessment:

Obviously anyone who has been watching sees the difference in the running game when Kreider is in. It's huge.

I agree with Preacher to a certain extent about wanting Dan to have fresh legs... He is getting older and that rest can help I am sure...

Now, my solution:

First half starter - Carey Davis; Second half starter - Dan Kreider

That is my ideal answer... Not sure if any team has ever officially had two starters designated for one half or the other before... But I think in this situation it could work.

The good thing about this setup is if the running came can't get going in the first half, bring Danny in for a spark... Where as if Kreider was the first half starter and Davis was the second half... You could hardly bring Davis in for a spark...

I think that could work and it looked like that is what they were leaning towards against the Seahawks... Of course that could just be (and probably is) the fact that we were up by 3 touchdowns... But it worked out great. Kreider played a fantastic game this week.

Lord Stiller
10-09-2007, 02:31 PM
Now, my solution:

Eh. that's an interesting idea but the Steelers always run the ball better in the second half. Why not bring in Kreider to jump start the running game early on.

I do agree it's a good idea for them to share time to keep Kreider fresh and Davis fresh on Special Teams where he has played great (except for last game he missed a tackle on 20+ yard punt return the Seahawks had)

The Duke
10-09-2007, 03:25 PM
[BNow, my solution:

[/B]

I like it. we get a lead in the first half and then pound it will willie and dookie behind the best blocking fullback

ShutDown24
10-09-2007, 04:07 PM
I like it. we get a lead in the first half and then pound it will willie and dookie behind the best blocking fullback

Of course that has its problems, if we do not have the lead for instance... But if you say that both of them are starting fullbacks, it gives Dan his rightful title as a starter, satisfies the fans somewhat, and is pretty much what you?re doing now but making it official... Not that the Steelers or Kreider care that much about the status thing... I don't know... I like the idea a lot... Doubt it would happen but I wouldn't be surprised to see something like that from Tomlin...

Kind of like when Trent Green and Cleo Lemon were both listed as the #1 QB in preseason for Miami...

SteelFist
10-09-2007, 04:26 PM
I saw Kreider in on several plays this past Sunday. And we struggled with him in there as well.

The Duke
10-09-2007, 04:33 PM
Of course that has its problems, if we do not have the lead for instance... But if you say that both of them are starting fullbacks, it gives Dan his rightful title as a starter, satisfies the fans somewhat, and is pretty much what you’re doing now but making it official... Not that the Steelers or Kreider care that much about the status thing... I don't know... I like the idea a lot... Doubt it would happen but I wouldn't be surprised to see something like that from Tomlin...

[B]Kind of like when Trent Green and Cleo Lemon were both listed as the #1 QB in preseason for Miami...

kind of like the cards were doing with leinart and kurt as of lately. yeah, if we don't have a first half lead then an alternate game plan should be for that, but so far this season could've worked cause we were always leading in the first half

delhess
10-09-2007, 04:39 PM
front office, if you are reading this: please resign dan for next year ( if he is healthy)

p.s. free beer if we are leading by 10 point or more would be cool too

revefsreleets
10-09-2007, 06:48 PM
We were all talking about it at watching the game Sunday. What if the Steelers are setting up a game where they completely ditch the gameplan they've been running and throw and handoff the ball to Carey out of the I-formation? Just to keep the defense honest?

Just a thought, but an interesting one.

Jman
10-09-2007, 07:12 PM
Perhaps the backfield hasn't been totally figured out yet. I think each player back there has a solid argument, and to that, a counter argument. I'm not sure who will come out on top, but I do like Dan Krieder.

delhess
10-09-2007, 07:56 PM
Perhaps the backfield hasn't been totally figured out yet. I think each player back there has a solid argument, and to that, a counter argument. I'm not sure who will come out on top, but I do like Dan Krieder.

i think that is an outstanding point. we know what has worked for the steelers in the past. we also know what direction arians wants to go. i expect things to shake out a little better till next year, but this year we may see some more combinations of davis going short, experimenting with a few throws to kreider, davis in some running situations, and rotating in dan to block on short yardage. this offense is not sure what direction it wants to go, i think your statement sums it up we jman.

don't forget that arians talks about being unpredictable, and judging by this thread, even the fans aren't sure what to expect!