PDA

View Full Version : Peaking Too Early??

FastWillieParker39
10-07-2007, 07:19 PM
I have this fear that the Steelers might be peaking too early. We are playing very good football right now with a new coach, and I'm wondering how long that will last. Remember in 04 when the Steelers peaked too early and ended up playing poorly at the end of the year and the playoffs? Yea I don't want that to happen again.

I don't want to put a damper on today (because it was a GREAT day) but I'm just fearful that the Steelers might be peaking too early. I've seen this with other teams and our team could be it. I feel confident we'll win the division, but I also feel like the Ravens will get hot here soon while we could stumble a bit.

I don't know, are we peaking too early or are we just a good football team that will continue to have the success it's having to far?

Preacher
10-07-2007, 07:20 PM
:banging::banging::banging:

Never happy.... just never happy.

fansince'76
10-07-2007, 07:21 PM
Losing a winnable game on the road last week and playing without 4 key starters today? We haven't begun to peak.

FastWillieParker39
10-07-2007, 07:22 PM
:banging::banging::banging:

Never happy.... just never happy.

No, no, no I'm DAMN happy with this team. I'm not trying to bash this team in any way because they don't deserve it. I'm just bringing up that we could be peaking too early. But yea I'm excited for this team and the rest of the season.

Preacher
10-07-2007, 07:27 PM
No, no, no I'm DAMN happy with this team. I'm not trying to bash this team in any way because they don't deserve it. I'm just bringing up that we could be peaking too early. But yea I'm excited for this team and the rest of the season.

I understand what your saying.

It is just funny because EVERY WEEK... regardless of whether we win or lose, there are threads about how we haven't done this, that, Willie this, Willie that, not impressed with this, or that.. etc.etc.

Thats all. I know what your saying. But the answer is no way... not even close.

Stlrs4Life
????????????? Peaking? I highly doubt that we are peaking yet. Now the Patriots, they are peaking. Our offense has a long ways to go before we peak.

Atlanta Dan
Given the quality of the opposition, I said in preseason anything less than 4-1 going into the bye would be disappointing - they are playing up to expectations and no more for me

That is not to say I am underwhelmed, only that it is not as if this level of play is anything close to unsustainable.

LVSteelersfan
10-07-2007, 07:28 PM
Nope. It's the PATS that are peaking too early. It will come back to bite them in the behind when they are 5 games ahead in their division and they don't play their starters heading into the playoffs. People will say once again this week that we still have played no one. When is it that we will play someone? And who exactly have the PATS played? Cleveland, Buffalo, Cincinnati, NY Jets. What a lineup of loser teams they have played. BUT NO ONE says that about them. It really frosts me. I know, I know. We need to keep flying under the radar. lol

Mosca
10-07-2007, 07:29 PM
Shrug. If we're peaking too early, then so are the Pats, Cowboys, Colts, Packers... I wouldn't worry about it. We are far from great. Right now, we're just a good football team with a lot of room for improvement.

We still need to work on the deep threat, we need to work on punt coverage and punt returning, and we need to work on kickoff coverage. And we need to work on pass protection on the O-line. That's just off the top of my head.

So, no. If this is our peak, then there won't be more than a handful of wins for the rest of the season. We are far from peaking. We are far from being as good as the Pats, Colts, and Cowboys.

Tom

Stlrs4Life
10-07-2007, 07:35 PM
Shrug. If we're peaking too early, then so are the Pats, Cowboys, Colts, Packers... I wouldn't worry about it. We are far from great. Right now, we're just a good football team with a lot of room for improvement.

We still need to work on the deep threat, we need to work on punt coverage and punt returning, and we need to work on kickoff coverage. And we need to work on pass protection on the O-line. That's just off the top of my head.

So, no. If this is our peak, then there won't be more than a handful of wins for the rest of the season. We are far from peaking. We are far from being as good as the Pats, Colts, and Cowboys.

Tom

Exactly!

Edman
10-07-2007, 07:46 PM
We lost a winnable game in which we played like crap against an NFC team. Peaking? Not even close.

It's not like we're gonna going to run up 15 straight wins. In 2004 we lost only once and that was in Week 2. Early in the season.

Oh, and we don't have a Rookie Ben Roethlisberger.

Preacher
10-07-2007, 07:48 PM
We lost a winnable game in which we played like crap against an NFC team. Peaking? Not even close.

It's not like we're gonna going to run up 15 straight wins. In 2004 we lost only once and that was in Week 2. Early in the season.

Oh, and we don't have a Rookie Ben Rethlisberger.

Who knows...

we may run up 15 total wins!!

and we have a VETERAN Ben Roethlisberger!!

alittlejazzbird
10-07-2007, 07:50 PM
No way we're peaking right now. There is a long way to go before that happens. I fully expected the falloff that happened at the end of the 04-05 seaon; Ben finally collapsed under his rookie-ness and the team just couldn't pick him up.

This team has a significant part of that 2004 core intact. I think they're smarter and in some ways a better team than they were back then. And key to it all, Ben is older and better and smarter. His maturity is a big part of why this team is 4-1.

But we've got a long way to go before we're playing as effortlessly as Indy or New England. And that's just fine by me. I'd rather be peaking heading into the playoffs!!

Dynasty
10-07-2007, 07:50 PM
Yeah, I think the steelers have just started the uphill climb.. Its like biking up a hill, if you dont get momentum when you start you wont be able to make it up the hill. Which is a lot likke our season this year

TackleMeBen
10-07-2007, 07:51 PM
Who knows...

we may run up 15 total wins!!

and we have a VETERAN Ben Roethlisberger!!

:iagree:

HometownGal
10-07-2007, 07:52 PM
Nah - no way this team is peaking yet. I really think it is a little too early for any team to be considered "peaking" - it's only Week 5. There are a handful of teams playing very solid football right now and the Steelers are one of those teams. As someone mentioned above, though, there is room for improvement and I hope to see 'em peaking right around Week #12. :tt02::tt02:

skinart82
10-07-2007, 07:54 PM
Better than last when we "peaked" to late. But I don't think we are peaking right now, just playing good football

onthebus36
10-07-2007, 07:56 PM
Peaking too early?

Are we this desperate to find something to complain about? No offense, but can't we just enjoy the win for a few hours before looking for something new to criticize?

jjpro11
10-07-2007, 08:01 PM
ben hit the rookie wall in the late 2004 season. the defense played great throughout the year until we faced new england in the afccg.. everyone played like crap in that game.

alittlejazzbird
10-07-2007, 08:09 PM
Peaking too early?

Are we this desperate to find something to complain about? No offense, but can't we just enjoy the win for a few hours before looking for something new to criticize?

I don't think it's desperation to find something to complain about or criticize. It's fear of getting hopes up too high, only to have them dashed down the road. We're all trying to reassure ourselves that we really have a contender team, and that they won't flame out in Week 10.

I'm not saying we're not going to lose another game, but this week proved one thing, definitively - this team is the real deal.

Preacher
10-07-2007, 08:13 PM
I don't think it's desperation to find something to complain about or criticize. It's fear of getting hopes up too high, only to have them dashed down the road. We're all trying to reassure ourselves that we really have a contender team, and that they won't flame out in Week 10.

I'm not saying we're not going to lose another game, but this week proved one thing, definitively - this team is the real deal.

I think the next 5 will really tell that.

If we can carry the same record through the next five... (8-2), We will be sitting in a beautiful position..

steelforce95
10-07-2007, 08:26 PM

I understand your fear of getting your hopes but our team really is a contender. We just have to stop listening to all the hype of the Pats and the Colts because we are a small market team and we will never get the press coverage they do. Ben hasn't gotten the respect yet, but he will even if it's by us! :cheers:

Preacher
10-07-2007, 08:34 PM
I understand your fear of getting your hopes but our team really is a contender. We just have to stop listening to all the hype of the Pats and the Colts because we are a small market team and we will never get the press coverage they do. Ben hasn't gotten the respect yet, but he will even if it's by us! :cheers:

I think there is no doubt we are contenders!

Atlanta Dan
10-07-2007, 08:40 PM
Did anyone else see on the NBC pregame where Ben would not take the bait after the game when asked on the field if people should be talking about the Steelers as well as Indy + New England? He just smiled while saying only that Indy & New England are fine teams.

Self-restraint may actually become (dare i hope?) part of Ben's demeanor

Preacher
10-07-2007, 08:48 PM
Did anyone else see on the NBC pregame where Ben would not take the bait after the game when asked on the field if people should be talking about the Steelers as well as Indy + New England? He just smiled while saying only that Indy & New England are fine teams.

There has been a number of times Ben has done that...

I wonder how many times a mountain has been made out of a mole-hill... and Ben is now realizing he just can't say ANTHING>

steelforce95
10-07-2007, 08:55 PM
:tt02: I have a question about their schedule ,If the tv stations want, they can switch Sun and Mon night games to teams that are playing better. The steelers play Miami on Mon Nov 26. Will they change that because Miami is playing crappy? Do both teams have to be playing good or just one? :tt02:

The Duke
10-07-2007, 09:01 PM
:tt02: I have a question about their schedule ,If the tv stations want, they can switch Sun and Mon night games to teams that are playing better. The steelers play Miami on Mon Nov 26. Will they change that because Miami is playing crappy? Do both teams have to be playing good or just one? :tt02:

Hopefully not, but I think only certain games can be changed, for example on a schedule I have it says the only steelers games that can be changed are the second bengals game, patriots game, jaguars, and jets. maybe someone can back me up on this.

83-Steelers-43
10-07-2007, 09:02 PM
We start off a season slow and it's no good. People are ready to take the bridge.

We start off a season flying out of the gates at 4-1 and people are worried.

Can't have it both ways people. Personally, I'll take 4-1 over 1-4.

Dino 6 Rings
10-07-2007, 09:05 PM
The only think Peaking too early is me on Sunday when I get out of bed at 6am cause I can't sleep and watch effing NFL network re-runs until the pre-game starts...Peaking too early? 4-1...sounds like a great start...would 3-2 or 2-3 be better? Hellllllssss no!

Now excuse me while I go drop about 22 hits of acid and start to "peek" too early....

lord help me.

steelforce95
10-07-2007, 09:08 PM
If you hear anything about it please let me know. The last time they played the dolphins I had to admit it looked bad first half ,my boyfriend almost slept on the couch. He calls me a veery passionate fan! Wasn't that the colts game ben made that grab/tackle and saved the game? Let's just say I watched the game alone !
GO STEELERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

steelforce95
10-07-2007, 09:10 PM
We start off a season slow and it's no good. People are ready to take the bridge.

We start off a season flying out of the gates at 4-1 and people are worried.

Can't have it both ways people. Personally, I'll take 4-1 over 1-4.

Maybe we have closet bi polar fans!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cheers:

stillers4me
10-07-2007, 09:10 PM
I think there is no doubt we are contenders!

You know that the Pats, and the Colts are keeping an eye on us. Oh yeah.....we're contenders.
:cheers:

Preacher
10-07-2007, 09:12 PM
OK...

a little perspective on this peaking thing.

Let us not forget... for the Steelers... 3-3 in the first six meant that we were going to win the division.

4-1 after five may scare us, because it really is uncharted ground (outside of the one season a couple years ago).

83-Steelers-43
10-07-2007, 09:13 PM
Maybe we have closet bi polar fans!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cheers:

Between this topic and the "Media darlings or media underdogs" topic, I'm starting to believe it.

steelforce95
10-07-2007, 09:17 PM
OK...

a little perspective on this peaking thing.

Let us not forget... for the Steelers... 3-3 in the first six meant that we were going to win the division.

4-1 after five may scare us, because it really is uncharted ground (outside of the one season a couple years ago).

sorry didn't mean anything neg! or offend anyone! I'll keep it light.

Preacher
10-07-2007, 09:18 PM
Between this topic and the "Media darlings or media underdogs" topic, I'm starting to believe it.

A round of lithium please!

83-Steelers-43
10-07-2007, 09:23 PM

http://dvdrental.cd-wow.com/cdwow/images/products/screenshots/5/1135-1-large.jpg

steelforce95
10-07-2007, 09:23 PM

maybe we are just intoxicated with our team and their record so far! Through all the years of bubby and o'donnel and kordell I am veeeeery happy with ben and our team. Let's just keep supporting our team no matter what:cheers:

Dino 6 Rings
10-07-2007, 09:24 PM
But...Peaking too early...now that can be said about the Patriots...I mean...5 weeks of passes to Moss should be enough for teams to start keying on...right?

Cleveland didn't look that bad today against the Pats, a score off a turnover late padded the total score, Cleveland made Brady look very pedestrian today, check out his stats compared to previous weeks, he didn't have his most stellar performance...and that was at home against the Browns...things are going to be interesting going through the season...but since they do play in the AFC LEAST its really easy to hand them a playoff spot...and I mean hand it right to them on a silver platter...they have 3 tough games left for the entire year...3...

ShutDown24
10-07-2007, 09:26 PM
To be honest... This may sound crazy but I don't think we are anywere close to peaking.

stillers4me
10-07-2007, 09:28 PM
To be honest... This may sound crazy but I don't think we are anywere close to peaking.

I predict we peak....oh somewhere right around December 9. :wink02:

FastWillieParker39
10-07-2007, 09:31 PM
Let me just re-state this as I'm not complaining. This team has me pumped and just made me say "WOW!" a lot today. I think after reading several posts on here made me realize no one is peaking right now. Still a long season to go.

I also agree with Preacher in that we never have had a fast start like this except for 04 so it's different ya know. If we did this a lot of other years, I wouldn't have never made this thread but since we haven't start out of the gates fast in previous years, it's just different.

tony hipchest
10-07-2007, 09:31 PM
just like in our 1st pre season under tomlin, we are 4-1 coming out of our 2nd pre season.

now is when the schedule gets tough going to face afc powerhouses such as baltimore, bengals, and denver. lets talk once we get through the "meat and potatoes" of our schedule.

:rolleyes:

we can go 12-4 and all will be said is we havent faced nobody or we have peaked to early, or tomlin just inherited a talented team.

if we go 8-8 we will hear how a rookie HC tomlin cant get the job done as if he were a 15 year veteran. im gonna enjoy the ride. i think the 'regular season" will be great.

steelforce95
10-07-2007, 09:41 PM
just like in our 1st pre season under tomlin, we are 4-1 coming out of our 2nd pre season.

now is when the schedule gets tough going to face afc powerhouses such as baltimore, bengals, and denver. lets talk once we get through the "meat and potatoes" of our schedule.

:rolleyes:

we can go 12-4 and all will be said is we havent faced nobody or we have peaked to early, or tomlin just inherited a talented team.

if we go 8-8 we will hear how a rookie HC tomlin cant get the job done as if he were a 15 year veteran. im gonna enjoy the ride. i think the 'regular season" will be great.
I think as fans we can collectively support our team .we have such a strong force as fans and i think that carries a long way If we think pos it will carry over to our team!!

BozMan
10-07-2007, 09:46 PM
We're definitely not peaking too early. We completely dominated one of the better teams in the NFC - with one hand behind our back!

As Mosca said up thread (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showpost.php?p=305637&postcount=9), there is still plenty of room for this team to improve.

83-Steelers-43
10-07-2007, 09:54 PM
I think as fans we can collectively support our team .we have such a strong force as fans and i think that carries a long way If we think pos it will carry over to our team!!

I agree.

I'll take all the wins that we can get. IMO, this game was huge. I wanted to see them prove themselves before I started the "playoff bound" talk. Today's win told me alot about this team. How they responded after the Arizona loss was impressive to say the least.

Going into the bye 4-1 and we have some time to lick our wounds. Sounds good to me. :cheers:

Steel Warrior
10-07-2007, 10:12 PM
Anybody that thinks this team is in the same class as the pats or the colts is a fool. We haven't done anything. The four weeks after the bye will show what we're made of.

:yawn:

steelforce95
10-07-2007, 10:20 PM
Anybody that thinks this team is in the same class as the pats or the colts is a fool. We haven't done anything. The four weeks after the bye will show what we're made of.

No matter what our record is i would like to think we are in a class of our own!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Preacher
10-07-2007, 10:27 PM

Hmmm... Interestingly, the pats have played whom? The chargers at 1-4. the Bills, the Browns, the jets, and the Bengals. We have played whom? The Bills, the Browns, the Seahawks, San fran, and the Cards....

Up to this point, we have had the tougher schedule.. BIlls and Browns we both have played. Cards are as good as the jets, and the Bengals would have problems with SF and their run game... serious problems.

So if we have done nothing yet... neither has the Pats.

Sorry... but in this case.. I think your just plain wrong.

Edman
10-07-2007, 10:58 PM
Everyone salivates over the Colts and Patriots' "superiority" in the AFC. Which IMO, is good. Under the radar is good.

All I have to say is...look out for the Steelers.

And if you're going to play the "who have they played" card, who have the Patriots beaten? They've beaten up on chumps and cupcakes these past five weeks. Yes, the Chargers are chumps this year in a chump AFC West division. They are also the beneficiary of a terrible division(AFC Least). I wish the Steelers could beat up on the Jetlags, Dolphins, and Bills every year.

Glace
10-07-2007, 11:30 PM
I don't think we're peaking at all....We are playing very good football (minus 'Zona game) I see a lot of room for improvement.

Patriots = Peaking
Cowboys = Peaking

There's always ways to do something better unless you're a freak team like the above mentioned.

Preacher
10-07-2007, 11:32 PM
I don't think we're peaking at all....We are playing very good football (minus 'Zona game) I see a lot of room for improvement.

Patriots = Peaking
Cowboys = Peaking

There's always ways to do something better unless you're a freak team like the above mentioned.

Yep... but can they keep it up for 19 games?

I really don't think so... which means... Hopefully we will hit our stride come late december... and peak oh about... the beginning of February!!

bratsinmybelly
10-08-2007, 12:10 AM
If a shut out of the lowly Sea-bags following a loss to a Cardinals team in chaos is peaking, then someone please tell me now so I can quit being so excited about this team. I see a team that is improving and beginning to find it's identity after suffering a heartbreaking defeat in a winnable game, and being decimated by injuries. In case you haven't heard, we also have a new coach. Despite all of that, we have a 4-1 record. Our four wins coming in convincing fashion.
Let this team get healthy, rested, and comfortable in it's new skin and then we will have a real opportunity to "peak".
Here's to hoping that that happens sometime around late January!

Dragonrider
10-08-2007, 01:12 AM
I don't think we are anywhere near to peaking. I think we are just playing up to almost the level expected considering our personnel. The is still much room for improvement and seeing what has come from Mike Tomlin so far, the sky may be the limit.

Preacher
10-08-2007, 01:51 AM
If a shut out of the lowly Sea-bags following a loss to a Cardinals team in chaos is peaking, then someone please tell me now so I can quit being so excited about this team. I see a team that is improving and beginning to find it's identity after suffering a heartbreaking defeat in a winnable game, and being decimated by injuries. In case you haven't heard, we also have a new coach. Despite all of that, we have a 4-1 record. Our four wins coming in convincing fashion.
Let this team get healthy, rested, and comfortable in it's new skin and then we will have a real opportunity to "peak".
Here's to hoping that that happens sometime around late January!

And that is a good post!

TackleMeBen
10-08-2007, 08:06 AM

maybe he has finally hired that pr person to tell him to shut up sometimes..lol..
yeah i seen, and was like the guy is so trying to bait him into saying that would be blasted all over the news:tt02:

SteelDogFan
10-08-2007, 10:44 AM
This is not personal attack but, .........Are you kidding!!!!

I guess you might be able to say that about the defense. But I think our defense neither peaks nor valleys. The steelers D is good all the time. As for the offense I think they are growing and the chemistry has not got as good as its going to get. Also I seem to put this in a lot of post lately we have a new coach on his first head coaching job. I think the Steelers are just going to get better. But they will lose again as Tomlin said in his press conference after last weeks loss. QUOTE " I did think at one time the team would lose a game and I expect we will lose again". All of the press laughed.

SteelerFanInCA
10-08-2007, 12:51 PM
I wouldn't say we are peaking too early. We are still growing as a team and some of our better football is still a head.

Edman
10-08-2007, 12:54 PM
Want more evidence that Steelers aren't peaking?

They were held scoreless for the first 2 quarters until Heath made that TD. The Offense started out pretty slow. That's evidence right there that the Steelers aren't peaking.