PDA

View Full Version : What the ????

rowedf
10-08-2007, 10:33 AM
What was Rossum thinking ???

I always thought that dude was a superior punt returner, but what in the world was he thinking when he ran into the crowd of seahawk players near the goaline on that one punt ? He just looked really shaky out there yesterday.

fansince'76
10-08-2007, 10:36 AM
At least Colclough isn't back there any more.

Atlanta Dan
10-08-2007, 10:39 AM
IMO Rossum has shown little on punt returns - Tomlin obviously does not trust Reid, but at some pint you expect a punt return to sometimes accomplish more than a fair catch

I would have liked to see Reid on punt returns once the game was in hand yesterday

Counselor
10-08-2007, 10:46 AM
Don't panic everyone----I thought the same thing, but Prisuta explained on DVE this morning that it was actually a VERY heads up play.

Apparently, there is a little known rule, that if a the punting team touches the ball but does not down it (the Seahawk hit it out of the endzone) then the recieving team basically has a free play-----Rossum can pick up the ball and run with it, but he can't ever be charged with a fumble. The worst that can happen is it's Steeler ball at the place where the first seahawk touched it (goal line----which is where we got it anyway). The best that could happen is Rossom could have picked it up and run with it---no potential for the seahawks to get the ball----even if he fumbled at the other end of the field.

BlastFurnace
10-08-2007, 10:46 AM
What was Rossum thinking ???

I always thought that dude was a superior punt returner, but what in the world was he thinking when he ran into the crowd of seahawk players near the goaline on that one punt ? He just looked really shaky out there yesterday.

There is a rule that states once the coverage touched the ball, the receiving team can't lose the ball. I think Rossum was trying to get the ball into the end zone for a touchback.

rowedf
10-08-2007, 11:12 AM
Don't panic everyone----I thought the same thing, but Prisuta explained on DVE this morning that it was actually a VERY heads up play.

Apparently, there is a little known rule, that if a the punting team touches the ball but does not down it (the Seahawk hit it out of the endzone) then the recieving team basically has a free play-----Rossum can pick up the ball and run with it, but he can't ever be charged with a fumble. The worst that can happen is it's Steeler ball at the place where the first seahawk touched it (goal line----which is where we got it anyway). The best that could happen is Rossom could have picked it up and run with it---no potential for the seahawks to get the ball----even if he fumbled at the other end of the field.

Ahhhh ... thank you for the clarification! :) Makes sense now.

klick81
10-08-2007, 11:20 AM

Really? Never knew that.

Atlanta Dan
10-08-2007, 11:25 AM
Thanks for the clarification

moedap
10-08-2007, 03:46 PM
Arent you glad Rossum is back there. He did muff that punt(fortunately out of bounds) but I think he was just pressing to get a return on a punt b/c of the negative attention it has received. I still dont trust Reid on punt returns.

Sharkissle29
10-08-2007, 04:42 PM

i guess i dont know everything about football....interesting

Preacher
10-08-2007, 04:51 PM

Fascinating.

So what your really saying is that he had a REAL HEADSUP PLAY... knowing that he could do something great without any risk to the team...

Wow... if that is true, that means that he is a REAL intelligent player.

Counselor
10-08-2007, 05:05 PM
Fascinating.

So what your really saying is that he had a REAL HEADSUP PLAY... knowing that he could do something great without any risk to the team...

Wow... if that is true, that means that he is a REAL intelligent player.

Yeah, makes you realize that Wilie Reid can probably learn a lot from him.

Stlrs4Life
10-08-2007, 05:06 PM
See, you really do learn something new everyday!

jjpro11
10-08-2007, 05:08 PM
everyone in the stands were freaking out, including myself. i heard someone talk about the rule behind me and it calmed me down.

Preacher
10-08-2007, 05:10 PM
Yeah, makes you realize that Wilie Reid can probably learn a lot from him.

That sure is true.

Steel Pit
10-08-2007, 05:41 PM
Thanks for pointing out the rule, that was good information.

Although Rossum is ideally a kick returner, it's still comforting to know that he's returning the punts as well. He'll make sound decisions in both phases and we don't have to worry about a starter being injured while returning kicks.

jjpro11
10-08-2007, 05:49 PM
thats a pretty dumb rule though. im surprised it hasnt been changed.

Preacher
10-08-2007, 05:49 PM
Thanks for pointing out the rule, that was good information.

Although Rossum is ideally a kick returner, it's still comforting to know that he's returning the punts as well. He'll make sound decisions in both phases and we don't have to worry about a starter being injured while returning kicks.

yep...

and I am very comfortable with him back there. We know that he can keep a hold of the ball.

Thank goodness.

Preacher
10-08-2007, 05:50 PM

Stop and think about it... It isn't. It is a risk/reward rule. Is it worth the risk to knock the ball out of the endzone, just for the other team to have a free chance to pick it up and run with it?

jjpro11
10-08-2007, 05:55 PM
Stop and think about it... It isn't. It is a risk/reward rule. Is it worth the risk to knock the ball out of the endzone, just for the other team to have a free chance to pick it up and run with it?

i dont know.. it still seems weird.

Atlanta Dan
10-08-2007, 06:15 PM

It will be if it hurts the Colts or Pats in the playoffs

Steeler in Carolina
10-08-2007, 06:19 PM
Basically, when the Seahawks touched the ball, Pittsburgh can do no worse than get it at that spot. But, since the ball was only touched and not downed, Pittsburgh can pick it up and run.

Edman
10-08-2007, 07:05 PM
I think Rossum was antsy yesterday.

I don't expect big returns, Big returns will happen when they happen. Just catch the ball, control it, return it. Just don't fumble the ball. That's all I want from the return team.

Preacher
10-08-2007, 07:07 PM
It will be if it hurts the Colts or Pats in the playoffs

:sofunny::sofunny:

Galax Steeler
10-09-2007, 04:55 AM

I didn't know that thanks for the info.

Sharkissle29
10-09-2007, 05:11 AM

agreed, i think its a good rule....makes sense

Steeldude
10-09-2007, 09:41 AM
in defense of rossum, he doesn't exactly get much blocking help.

ShutDown24
10-09-2007, 10:44 AM
It was equivelant to a fumble by Seattle. I had to explain this to EVERYONE in the crowd around me and am tired of hearing about this. Rossum is a very smart player and had he picked the ball up and ran it he likely could have gotten more yards for us with no consequences had he fumbled.

What does this guy have to do? Runs one back for a touchdown has yet to make a game changing mistake, is a great guy who donates a lot of his small (By NFL standards) salary to charity... I just don't get it...

klick81
10-09-2007, 11:04 AM
It was equivelant to a fumble by Seattle. I had to explain this to EVERYONE in the crowd around me and am tired of hearing about this. Rossum is a very smart player and had he picked the ball up and ran it he likely could have gotten more yards for us with no consequences had he fumbled.

What does this guy have to do? Runs one back for a touchdown has yet to make a game changing mistake, is a great guy who donates a lot of his small (By NFL standards) salary to charity... I just don't get it...

Whoa whoa whoa! Don't get your panties in a twist. Most of us were not aware of that rule, and were ASKING why he made what appeared to be a bone-headed move. Now it's clarified...isn't that what these boards are for?

Counselor
10-09-2007, 11:50 AM

This has already been explained by several people. Read the whole thread and calm down.

ShutDown24
10-09-2007, 12:36 PM
This has already been explained by several people. Read the whole thread and calm down.

Lol yeah I nearly never read a whole thread... I see now that you point it out. When I read a topic on a board most of the time i simply respond to the topic creator and not so much the other repliers.

Counselor
10-09-2007, 02:12 PM
Lol yeah I nearly never read a whole thread... I see now that you point it out. When I read a topic on a board most of the time i simply respond to the topic creator and not so much the other repliers.

I know I do that sometimes too---just didn't want you to jump off a bridge or anything:wink02:

Haiku_Dirtt
10-09-2007, 02:24 PM

Thanks counselor.

But it didn't help that he followed up what you now prove to be an alert play with really poor ball control about three? times.

We don't have or need a hero receiving kicks. What we DON'T need is a GOAT.