PDA

View Full Version : O/R: With Receiving Corps Depleted, Ben Shows His Greatness

alittlejazzbird
10-08-2007, 12:58 PM
Here's another writer again confirming what the rest of us already knew....we have a franchise quarterback who is well on his way to greatness. As the author correctly notes, he's not in Manning or Brady league yet, but we'll see how he stacks up when he's been in the league 8 or 9 seasons. In my opinion, if he stays healthy, the sky's the limit.
With receiving corps depleted, Roethlisberger shows his greatness
PITTSBURGH - We might be seeing Ben Roethlisberger taking the step from being a good quarterback to a great one.

The Steelers went into their 21-0 win Sunday over the Seattle Seahawks at Heinz Field knowing they would be without wide receiver Hines Ward. Then, minutes before the opening kickoff, Santonio Holmes, Pittsburgh's other starting receiver, was lost after suffering a strained hamstring in warmups.

With just three healthy wide receivers, the Steelers needed a big game from their rushing attack.

Instead, they got an efficient and controlled game from Roethlisberger, who carried the offense when Seattle loaded up to stop the running game. Roethlisberger completed 18 of 22 passes - including his final 13 - for 206 yards and one touchdown. He threw passes to the likes of Nate Washington, Cedrick Wilson and Willie Reid. Nobody is going to confuse those players for Randy Moss.

But on this day, the quarterback made the receivers look good.

"You've got to give the line a lot of credit," said Roethlisberger. "They gave me a lot of time. And the receivers got open. Guys stepped up. There were a lot of questions with Hines being down and Santonio right before the game. Who was going to step up? There was not a doubt in my mind that those receivers would step up. They did a great job of getting open and catching the ball."

Roethlisberger is being a bit too modest.

In many cases, a great receiver or receivers can make a quarterback look better than he is.

In this case, the quarterback made a group of receivers, who would be considered pedestrian on their best day, look like viable options.

How good was Roethlisberger?

Consider that he did not have a single incompletion in the second half, completing all nine of his attempts for 118 yards and a touchdown as the Steelers held the ball for nearly 25 minutes.

On several occasions, it was Roethlisberger's scrambling ability that kept plays alive and allowed those receivers to get open.

Roethlisberger's performance was far different than the one he had against Seattle in Super Bowl XL, when the Steelers won not so much because of Roethlisberger, but in spite of him. In that game, Roethlisberger completed only nine of 21 passes for 123 yards and two interceptions with no touchdowns.

This time, the Steelers won because of Roethlisberger.

Then again, you could say the same thing about his performance this season.

Roethlisberger wanted to prove to his critics that those 23 interceptions he threw last season were the exception, not the norm.

Along the way, Roethlisberger is moving close to achieving superstar status.

Is he at the same level as Tom Brady or Peyton Manning? Certainly not - yet. But he's getting closer each time out.

He's giving the Steelers an opportunity to win each time he steps on the field, something this team hasn't had in a quarterback since Terry Bradshaw.

F. Dale Lolley can be reached at dlolley@observer-reporter.com

http://www.observer-reporter.com/OR/Story/10_8_Steelers_Hawks_column

rog
10-08-2007, 01:10 PM
This is a much better thread than the one started last week asking if Ben was the answer at QB. I'm sure the opinions have changed back to being positive once again though.

TackleMeBen
10-08-2007, 01:18 PM
of course they have.. and they will go back to being negative if they lose to denver. you have to love the media...lol

alittlejazzbird
10-08-2007, 01:18 PM
This is a much better thread than the one started last week asking if Ben was the answer at QB. I'm sure the opinions have changed back to being positive once again though.

That's life in the Steeler Nation - we don't take losses very well!

However, I think most of us understand that losses are an inevitable part of the game, and that Ben's talents and what he means to the Steelers transcend the occasional loss.

Is there any question that a huge part of our success thus far is because of Ben's rebound from last season?

Mosca
10-08-2007, 01:26 PM
I'll take the heat for saying that I don't think Ben will ever be at the same level as Brady or Manning. Those guys are unreal.

But I'm fine with that. Ben can be a step below those guys for the next 12 years, as long as he takes us deep into the playoffs and gives us a chance to win it all, every year.

Tom

Edman
10-08-2007, 01:29 PM
The stats may not show it, but Ben provided further evidence that he can win and gouge D's with his arm(and legs) when they sell out to the run. He and Najeh energized the Offense when the Craphawks D held tight.

I said it before and I'll say it again. Big Ben hasn't even begun to hit his peak stride yet. He's back to 2005 form definately, but still plenty of room to improve. That's a scary thought.

He'll never be Brady or Mannng. I don't expect him to be. I just want Ben to be Ben. And that's be a clutch, gutsy Pittsburgh-style QB and win for this team for many years to come.

rog
10-08-2007, 01:34 PM
I'll give Manning and Brady all the credit in the world for the way the play but I do think Ben made some plays yesterday that those 2 may not of been able to make. Bens mobility is much better than both of them. But again those guys are amazing players and I hope Ben can someday play well enough to be compared to them or even just get the credit he deserves.

SteelerFanInCA
10-08-2007, 01:35 PM
That was mighty big of Ben yesterday on how he stepped up to the challenge. I'm hoping he will continue to build on that momentum for the rest of the season.

He seemed pretty focused yesterday.

Steeldude
10-08-2007, 01:36 PM
the WR gets open and the QB throws it to him. how is that different from any other QB in the NFL?

BR still focuses on his primary. also, he stills holds the ball too long. he isn't always going to be able to get away from defenders like that.

he didn't make any mistakes and the steelers took care of the rest. notice last week he was one mistake after another? BR still has a ways to go before being considered elite.

TackleMeBen
10-08-2007, 01:37 PM
The stats may not show it, but Ben provided further evidence that he can win and gouge D's with his arm(and legs) when they sell out to the run. He and Najeh energized the Offense when the Craphawks D held tight.

I said it before and I'll say it again. Big Ben hasn't even begun to hit his peak stride yet. He's back to 2005 form definately, but still plenty of room to improve. That's a scary thought.

He'll never be Brady or Mannng. I don't expect him to be. I just want Ben to be Ben. And that's be a clutch, gutsy Pittsburgh-style QB and win for this team for many years to come.

i dont want him to be a brady or manning. i like him the way he is. he is a great fit for this team. why change??:wink02:

alittlejazzbird
10-08-2007, 01:39 PM
I'll take the heat for saying that I don't think Ben will ever be at the same level as Brady or Manning. Those guys are unreal.

But I'm fine with that. Ben can be a step below those guys for the next 12 years, as long as he takes us deep into the playoffs and gives us a chance to win it all, every year.
Tom

I guess all I'm saying is that Brady is in his eighth season (seventh full season) and Manning is in his tenth. Ben's completion percentage and passer rating are both quite competitive with where Brady and Manning were in their fourth full seasons.

Let's just give it some time and see how it shakes out. On that basis, I will respectfully agree to disagree with you.

Mosca
10-08-2007, 02:20 PM
I guess all I'm saying is that Brady is in his eighth season (seventh full season) and Manning is in his tenth. Ben's completion percentage and passer rating are both quite competitive with where Brady and Manning were in their fourth full seasons.

Let's just give it some time and see how it shakes out. On that basis, I will respectfully agree to disagree with you.

And it would be great for him to prove me wrong! I think you have a valid point, and certainly I don't have a crystal ball.

I don't think we'll ever have the type of team that would allow Roethlisberger to be the type of quarterback like P. Manning, or Favre, or Marino, or Elway or even Palmer; he will never be the ONLY force on the team. He will never have to carry the team for the season the way Marino did, the way Palmer does for the Bengals. He will be great like Bart Starr. It's not that he could NEVER be that type of quarterback, it's that we'll be a better team if he is not.

Tom

LVSteelersfan
10-08-2007, 02:37 PM
I don't think we'll ever have the type of team that would allow Roethlisberger to be the type of quarterback like P. Manning, or Favre, or Marino, or Elway or even Palmer; he will never be the ONLY force on the team. He will never have to carry the team for the season the way Marino did, the way Palmer does for the Bengals. He will be great like Bart Starr. It's not that he could NEVER be that type of quarterback, it's that we'll be a better team if he is not.

Tom

And most Steeler fans are fine with that. I guarantee you Manning and Brady would have been sacked the last two weeks when Ben got away numerous times. They have the luxury of having forever to throw the ball behind good offensive lines. They do not impress me at all when their blocking breaks down. Brady and Manning can't run to save their lives. Manning does not throw on the run worth a crap. Ben is big, strong, makes good decisions in most games. But the O-line is causing him to have to run for his life WAY TOO MUCH. I will take Ben over those two any day because he fits our system.

skinart82
10-08-2007, 06:17 PM
You still have to look at who Manning and brady are throwing the ball to, with Holmes playing the way he is and Ward getting healthy there is no reason he can't be as good. Imagine if Ben still had Plexico! And not to mention Ben will never throw for 300+ yards and 4 TDs every game because the Steelers like to run the ball a lot more! And have you ever seen Manning or brady scramble the way Ben does? NO! They are scared of the rush were Ben will fight through it. But hey Bradshaw never was and still is not mentioned as one the "great" QB's from the past, it's always Marino or Elway etc.... and not one of them has 4 rings on thier hand! As long as Ben stays healthy he is and WILL be that great and better in the eyes of the Steeler Nation and thats all that matters!!!!!

P.s. Manning is great, but brady is still a punk in my eyes.

Preacher
10-08-2007, 06:42 PM
Funny...

I just argued in another thread that he is one tier below Brady and Manning... I would put Elway and Montana in that same group.

If Ben continues to grow and mature... He MAY... MAY end up there. But he will not look like Manning or Brady. He will look like Elway more then anyone else.

revefsreleets
10-09-2007, 05:59 PM
I hope to God that Ben never has the stats that Brady or Manning do. That means he will be compensating for either a poor running game, a poor defense, or both. The gameplan in the Burgh remains the same. Run to set up the pass, and play good defense. The QB shouldn't ever throw 50 passes in our system.

Edman
10-09-2007, 06:21 PM
Actually it's more pass to set up the run this time. The Steeler's first offensive play last Sunday was a playaction pass to Nate.

I really hope the league thinks these are the same old running Steelers of old. In reality, they're actually not.

iloveben7
10-09-2007, 07:01 PM
I don't want Ben to become a Brady or a Manning because they are the only force on their team and in Pittsburgh everyone on the team has their own force. We have a great running game, so we don't need Ben to throw all the time. I think Ben is a much better scrambler because Brady and Manning can't run to save their life. If they do, they get all nervous and end up getting sacked. Another thing is that Ben is so much more humble than they are and he doesn't get all frustrated when one little thing goes wrong. I don't want Ben to become one of them, but that doesn't mean he can't. Ben is so underrated and I hope one day he gets the credit he deserves. Ben is our QB and I don't want anyone else.