#1 - 9.4 points per game
#1 - 235.6 total yards per game
#2 - 163 pass yards per game
#4 - 72.6 rush yards per game
#1t - 17 sacks
#17t - 4 interceptions (cant be perfect) :smile:

The Duke
10-08-2007, 06:03 PM
yet everywhere I see says "patriots defense won't break"...:banging: like if the had the best D

impressive, I wouldn't have expected the pass D to be better than the run D

jjpro11
10-08-2007, 06:08 PM
yet everywhere I see says "patriots defense won't break"...:banging: like if the had the best D

impressive, I wouldn't have expected the pass D to be better than the run D

the broncos, who are #1 against the pass, are also dead last against the run. we've faced 163 pass attempts, while the broncos have seen only 103 passes. we may actually be the best team in the league against the pass when balanced. i didnt really expect that.

skinart82
10-08-2007, 06:20 PM
DAMN Right!!!!!!

Preacher
10-08-2007, 07:20 PM
Wow....

That is great to hear.

Good for our Steeler D!!!

Petesburgh66
10-08-2007, 07:56 PM
Call me greedy, but I want the number of INTs to increase.

Quasar
10-08-2007, 07:59 PM
We may actually be the best team in the league against the pass when balanced. I didnt really expect that.
Factor in how deep and diverse our defense is. Instead of a blitzburgh type package against the Seahawks, we dropped back in coverage. Hasselbeck could hardly find an open receiver all day. We still sacked him 3 times (2 by Farrior) without Casey Hampton applying pressure, and covered his receivers well without Troy Polamalu.
Ike Taylor dropped what could have been 2 more interceptions as well. THIS DEFENSE HAS NOT PEAKED! :tt02:

klick81
10-09-2007, 01:11 AM
Defenitely good to hear. Let's keep it comin baby.

JackHammer
10-09-2007, 01:52 AM
Like Quasar said, this D hasn't peaked yet. Shutting down the pigeons was a big confidence builder for the secondary in particular, but also the defense as a whole. Our best defensive performance came with our two best defensive players out of the game. That says a lot about the guys on this team and their ability to step up when they're called upon. I can't wait to see them when Big Snack and Troy come back!! Hats off to Dick LeBeau as well. When your defense gets better in the absence of your two best players, the D coordinator deserves a good portion of the credit. He put his players in the best position to be successful and it paid off once again. All is well, but the next logical step is to do this against New England..... I can't wait to see how we stack up.

Preacher
10-09-2007, 02:24 AM
We should have at least another two or three INTs....

We also should have had another two shutouts.

But those are just icing on the cake.

THe only REAL problem I had was the soft coverage. But in this last game, they rolled the coverage up tight, so I was happy.

Galax Steeler
10-09-2007, 04:33 AM
Them are some great stats I hope we ain't seen the best of the deffense yet.

FSUBoo
10-10-2007, 01:58 PM
Our defense is becoming scary good. One of the most exciting things about it is that our defense has alot of young, up and coming players who are just starting to come into their own. The light has really seemed to come on for Ike Taylor, and as soon as Bryant McFadden gets his shot, I think that we will have one of the best duos in the league. Timmons and Woodley are seeming like they are getting more comfortable in the NFL. Farrior is getting up there in age, but he seems like he is having one of his best seasons period.

I'm not missing Joey Porter at all, cause we are tied for first in the league in sacks. I miss his leadership a little bit, but other players are stepping into that role.

I already think that Tomlin will be one of our great coaches. I hope to be able to keep Lebeau for a little while longer. I know that he is getting up there in age, but his mind is as fresh and creative as ever. The freedom that Tomlin has given him to call the defense on what he sees and feels like will work has made for one awesome defensive effort so far.

If we keep up the pace defensively that we have played with so far, I see our defense being considered with some of the best ever. If we keep up the 9.4 points per game, we will have given 150.4 points total. That would put us a full 2 touchdowns lower than the 2001 Ravens. I know I'm thinking too far ahead, but I am seeing great things out of this defense.

Lord Stiller
10-10-2007, 02:11 PM
I hope to be able to keep Lebeau for a little while longer. I know that he is getting up there in age, but his mind is as fresh and creative as ever. The freedom that Tomlin has given him to call the defense on what he sees and feels like will work has made for one awesome defensive effort so far.

BINGO!!!!!

I remember reading something that said the defense hasn't even learned half of Coach Lebeau's playbook yet. Lebeau is a genius. I think he will stick around for awhile now that he has the freedom Tomlin gave him and he LOVES coaching. I was at the SB XL victory parade and Lebeau stuck out as being the most happy and excited person in the whole parade.

FSUBoo
10-10-2007, 02:27 PM
Yeah, living here in Florida, it's hard to ever see a game on tv. I would have loved to be at the parade for the SB XL victory. That had to be an awesome experience.

Lord Stiller
10-10-2007, 02:29 PM
Yeah, living here in Florida, it's hard to ever see a game on tv. I would have loved to be at the parade for the SB XL victory. That had to be an awesome experience.

Yeah it was pretty awesome. I got close enough to give a high-five to Lebeau, Faneca and Kimo

lamberts-lost-tooth
10-10-2007, 03:02 PM
our defensive stats are sick. :tt02:

#1 - 9.4 points per game
#1 - 235.6 total yards per game
#2 - 163 pass yards per game
#4 - 72.6 rush yards per game
#1t - 17 sacks
#17t - 4 interceptions (cant be perfect) :smile:

I think that last stat may be due to the third stat!!!!
:helmet::tt02: :helmet:

Lord Stiller
10-10-2007, 03:16 PM
Did anyone notice late in the 4th quarter we got a sack and they also called holding on the Seahawks and rather than take the sack to make it 2nd and long, we took the penalty to make it 1st and 20???? What's up with that??

fansince'76
10-10-2007, 03:19 PM
Did anyone notice late in the 4th quarter we got a sack and they also called holding on the Seahawks and rather than take the sack to make it 2nd and long, we took the penalty to make it 1st and 20???? What's up with that??

Yes, I did notice that, and it left me scratching my head as well. I was saying (to the TV) "Decline it!" and they accepted the penalty instead. :hunch:

rbryan
10-10-2007, 04:03 PM
I saw it too. WTF?? I think it was Haggans. Does he get credit for a sack?? I'm guessing not. Didn't understand that at all.

GeneralRobinson
10-10-2007, 05:22 PM
Not to make a big deal or be confrontational, but, for the record, I checked the game notes. It was an Illegal Use of Hands penalty on Seattle on a sack that was shared by Haggans and Farrior and it was declined.

fansince'76
10-10-2007, 05:34 PM
Not to make a big deal or be confrontational, but, for the record, I checked the game notes. It was an Illegal Use of Hands penalty on Seattle on a sack that was shared by Haggans and Farrior and it was declined.

I'll take your word for it as I was not exactly sober at that point of the game, and accepting that penalty makes no sense at all. :thumbsup:

Dino 6 Rings
10-10-2007, 05:51 PM
about time we were 1st against the run and not dead last or bottom of the barrel against the pass, that's the best thing to see...so many years of stopping the run and allowing 300 yard passing days...its nice to see that has changed.

Galloway6
10-10-2007, 06:55 PM
[QUOTE=Dino 5 Rings;306947]about time we were 1st against the run and not dead last or bottom of the barrel against the pass, that's the best thing to see...so many years of stopping the run and allowing 300 yard passing days...its nice to see that has changed.[/QUOTE
Yes indeed it is, this Defense is looking good and I believe will keep improving.:tt02: