PDA

View Full Version : Is this steeler team better then the superbowl xl team?

Big D
10-08-2007, 05:27 PM
I'm going to hell yes. I think that this years team is better on both sides of the ball. what do you all think?

slippy
10-08-2007, 05:54 PM
reality check, please.

when the 2007 steelers win 8 straight, including four playoff games on the road, and hoist the trophy, then they will be better than the 05 team. hell, if they win the super bowl, they will be as good or better than the 05 team.

it may be simplistic, but the team that wins the bowl is always the best team that year. we keep score with touchdowns, not "talent points"

The Duke
10-08-2007, 06:07 PM
reality check, please.

when the 2007 steelers win 8 straight, including four playoff games on the road, and hoist the trophy, then they will be better than the 05 team. hell, if they win the super bowl, they will be as good or better than the 05 team.

it may be simplistic, but the team that wins the bowl is always the best team that year. we keep score with touchdowns, not "talent points"

exactly. this team may have better talent but they haven't proven it on a playoff run or playoff game

stillers4me
10-08-2007, 06:11 PM
I don't know if they're better or not, but it would be hard to find a team anywhere that had more heart than that team did.

What they did was amazing.

Stlrs4Life
10-08-2007, 06:12 PM
reality check, please.

We have a Bingo! It is way too early to guage this team yet. But must say that they have put themselves in a nice position.

MasterOfPuppets
10-08-2007, 06:21 PM
the SB team was coming off a 15 - 1 season ,which means they played a much more difficult schedule. as had been said already, lets wait till the seasons over to make accurate comparisons...:wink02:

Atlanta Dan
10-08-2007, 06:26 PM
I guess I missed this question when it was posted last week after the Arizona game:smile:

As posted previously, the 2005 team beat Cincy, Denver, and Indy on the road. This team has won in Cleveland and lost in Arizona.

But if you want to break it down, the passing offense is better (throwing to the TE - who knew that was legal?) , Davenport is not yet the peer of Bettis to kill clock, I am not sold on 2007 Harrison being the equal of 2005 Porter, and the CBs (particularly Deshea) are still a concern.

Until they win the SB any comparison is premature.

83-Steelers-43
10-08-2007, 06:32 PM
Man.....a win against Seattle causes this?

I'm impressed with the way they bounced back after losing to Arizona. I'll keep it at that. Up next.....Denver.

delhess
10-08-2007, 06:48 PM
when the music stops we will see who is still standing.

Davison_K
10-08-2007, 07:29 PM
I the CBs (particularly Deshea) are still a concern.
Were we watching the same game? Pittsburgh was covering the whole field without Troy. We played a very good defensive game in the secondary. Especially our corners. They stepped up when Troy was out. I don't like Deshea - I think its time to move to Bryant more regularly.

This team is very talented and has beat up some bad teams, and had an impressive win over an okay team. We still lost to the guys who basically made the Steelers who they are today, and not to belittle Tomlin, but this team is still Cowher's doing. Wait a few years til you start comparing him to Cowher. This is the team assembled by the coaches we lost to in Arizona.

Let's see what happens after Denver, Cincinnati, Baltimore (this team may not be playing well, but they are pretty close to the team that managed to man handle us twice last season). We also have the Pats in a few weeks, and they don't look to be very vulnerable this season.

In short, we have a lot to do to prove that Tomlin isn't just riding a Cowher high (similar to Gruden riding Dungy's) and even more to do to prove that this team is better than the '05 Super Bowl team.

Edman
10-08-2007, 07:37 PM
Until these 2007 Steelers win the Super Bowl like the '05 team did, I'd hold off on the predictions.

The 2005 Steelers made history that is unlikely to ever be repeated again.

Big D
10-08-2007, 07:48 PM
reality check, please.

the fact of the matter is that we have a more mature qb and rb. and

Newzfoxjr
10-08-2007, 08:25 PM
Maybe if we don't lose more than 4 games, blow out our opponents in the post season and have a dramatically impressive record setting super bowl win, maybe.

But I don't think they can match the emotional level of that year. That was magical.

The Duke
10-08-2007, 08:33 PM
Maybe if we don't lose more than 4 games, blow out our opponents in the post season and have a dramatically impressive record setting super bowl win, maybe.

But I don't think they can match the emotional level of that year. That was magical.

that was the biggest thing definitely, I don't think that can be reached again even if this team went 15-1 with the best offense and best defense in the league

verks36
10-08-2007, 08:49 PM
I dont think so.

The steelers Super bowl XL D was narsty. I dont think are D compares to that.

Also we had arguebly the best coaching staff in steelers history with

Cowher
Wiz
Labueua
now 2 of the 3 are gone

HometownGal
10-08-2007, 08:55 PM
I think I'll wait until at least Week #10 before I answer the question. Way too early to make that kind of comparison, imho.

Preacher
10-08-2007, 09:23 PM
I think I'll wait until at least Week #10 before I answer the question. Way too early to make that kind of comparison, imho.

That is probably the best answer yet.

Jman
10-08-2007, 09:29 PM
I'm not sure what will happen but i do like what I see from this Steelers team. Too early to say, imho.

jjpro11
10-08-2007, 09:46 PM
I dont think so.

The steelers Super bowl XL D was narsty. I dont think are D compares to that.

Also we had arguebly the best coaching staff in steelers history with

Cowher
Wiz
Labueua
now 2 of the 3 are gone

i can agree with the coaching staff.. as tomlin and company are still unproven. but this defense might be just as nasty, if not more... it is basically the same group with even more experience in the secondary now. just replace hope, kimo, and porter with clark/smith, keisel, and harrison. its still early, but so far they look pretty damn good. #1 in the league so far.

verks36
10-08-2007, 10:26 PM
i can agree with the coaching staff.. as tomlin and company are still unproven. but this defense might be just as nasty, if not more... it is basically the same group with even more experience in the secondary now. just replace hope, kimo, and porter with clark/smith, keisel, and harrison. its still early, but so far they look pretty damn good. #1 in the league so far.

YA but the defesnse had some swagger back in the XL run. I just dont see the same thing. I am not saying are defense is now but comaparing it to the defense that we saw stuff payton manning and win 3 straight road games in the playoffs as of right now i don think are D is capable of that but hey will see the season is still young

Galax Steeler
10-09-2007, 03:36 AM
I'll keep to myself on that one for a while.

jjpro11
10-09-2007, 11:29 AM
YA but the defesnse had some swagger back in the XL run. I just dont see the same thing. I am not saying are defense is now but comaparing it to the defense that we saw stuff payton manning and win 3 straight road games in the playoffs as of right now i don think are D is capable of that but hey will see the season is still young

i think your underestimating this year's squad. it is nearly the exact same defense as 2005 other than kimo, hope and porter. all have had solid, if not better replacements. couple that with the fact that our young secondary has gained experience since then, so i'd easily put them around the same level as the 2005 squad. i think even the playbook is better now that lebeau has opened it up a bit more and we have added another great defensive scheming coach in tomlin. i dont know about you, but i saw some of that swagger in both of the games i have attended, at cleveland and vs seattle. i really dont think there is a better defense in the league right now to be quite honest with you.