PDA

View Full Version : Kids Respect your Elders

moedap
10-09-2007, 07:42 AM
Steelers President Art Rooney has compared Tomlin to Noll and Cowher -- both of whom were also hired while in their 30s. Tomlin, who met Noll for the first time Sunday during a pregame ceremony, says he prefers to avoid such comparisons.

"Don't mention my name in the same sentence as coach Noll," he said. "I was in awe of the man. We are all walking on the ground that he paved."

RoethlisBURGHer
10-09-2007, 09:45 AM
Mike Tomlin knows his football and Steelers history. I am loving this coaching hire more and more every day.

onthebus36
10-09-2007, 10:14 AM
That's a great quote and it says a lot about the character of the man. Thanks for posting!

klick81
10-09-2007, 10:17 AM
Ummm...YEAH. Comparing someone who has coached 5 games to a four time Superbowl winning coach is ridiculous to say the least. Tomlin is great, but he has a looooooong way to go.

Dragonrider
10-09-2007, 09:57 PM
Class and respect. Those two words describe MT in a nutshell.

Edman
10-09-2007, 10:54 PM
Coach Noll is a legend who instilled the winning tradition of the Steelers. Gotta like Mike Tomlin's class and respect. Great guy.

Preacher
10-10-2007, 12:53 AM
Here is the funny thing....

By Tomlin doing that and showing that much class...

He actually moves closer to being included in a group with Cowher and Noll... because they all exuded class.

SteelersMongol
10-10-2007, 02:36 AM
Celver move by Coach Tomlin. Super class act.

HometownGal
10-10-2007, 06:57 AM
Mike Tomlin = Total class act. :thumbsup:

GeneralRobinson
10-10-2007, 11:40 AM
Has anyone seen the clip of Tomlin smiling and applauding Coach Noll as he was honored on Sunday? He seemed to be really enjoying the momment even though he was about to coach a crucial game. That says something to me about his sense of perspective as well as his ability to direct his focus while surrounded by outside stimuli.

verks36
10-10-2007, 11:55 AM
Steelers President Art Rooney has compared Tomlin to Noll and Cowher -- both of whom were also hired while in their 30s. Tomlin, who met Noll for the first time Sunday during a pregame ceremony, says he prefers to avoid such comparisons.

"Don't mention my name in the same sentence as coach Noll," he said. "I was in awe of the man. We are all walking on the ground that he paved."

I would say Tomlin needs a couple more seasons under his belt for him to be even mentioned in the same sentence as Cowher and Tomlin

alittlejazzbird
10-10-2007, 12:05 PM
Has anyone seen the clip of Tomlin smiling and applauding Coach Noll as he was honored on Sunday? He seemed to be really enjoying the momment even though he was about to coach a crucial game. That says something to me about his sense of perspective as well as his ability to direct his focus while surrounded by outside stimuli.

Coach Tomlin has often said that coaching is what he does, not who he is. "I'm a husband and father first," he's said more than once. Seems really simple, but there are lots of other, less high-profile spouses/parents in the world who could take a lesson from him. With that kind of perspective, no wonder he can easily be "in the moment." You can see Tony Dungy's strong influence in that regard.

The man's a total class act, as well as a delightful and intriguing combination of humility and ego - we're incredibly fortunate to have him coaching this team.

lamberts-lost-tooth
10-10-2007, 12:39 PM
Very nice...if you noticed, Coach Tomlin wasnt just giving lip service...as Noll walked off the field, Tomlin was clapping and shaking his head in genuine admiration.

memphissteelergirl
10-10-2007, 02:47 PM
Very nice...if you noticed, Coach Tomlin wasnt just giving lip service...as Noll walked off the field, Tomlin was clapping and shaking his head in genuine admiration.

Yeah, I noticed that too....nice to see the new generation give respect to the older...

aries4972
10-10-2007, 03:28 PM
simply put.... Mike Tomilin is a class act. It speaks volumes that someone so young (35yrs) could have such an appreciation for the game and for a legend like Chuck Noll. Hearing his comments one might wonder if he was simply paying lip service to the media, you know trying to say the right things, but there was a shot of him during the ceramony honoring coach Noll and the look and smile on his face was TOTALLY genuine he was like he said in "awe of the man an his accomplishments" as anyone who truly loves the game would be.

onthebus36
10-11-2007, 04:59 PM

I agree. Clearly, Coach Noll was a huge influence of Coach Tomlin.

Check out this quote from Coach Noll:

"The key to a winning season is focusing on one opponent at a time. Winning one week at a time. Never look back and never look ahead."

I think it's fair to say that is an acxiom that Tomlin coaches by. Whether he got it directly from Noll or not, it's clear they are on the same page. And by the way, that's a very good thing!