PDA

View Full Version : Arbitrator - Falcons Can Recover Vick Bonuses

Atlanta Dan
10-09-2007, 05:54 PM
An arbitrator made a key ruling Tuesday that clears the path for the Falcons to recoup $19.97 million in bonuses from suspended quarterback Michael Vick.

The decision by Philadelphia-based Stephen Burbank differentiated between a previous ruling ? one that involved former Falcons wideout Ashley Lelie ? that stated NFL teams could collect only signing-bonus money.

Burbank's ruling in the Vick-Falcons case said the Falcons are entitled to pursue the recovery of signing, option and roster bonuses because payments to Vick were not for money earned but for future services that can't be earned ? because the NFL has indefinitely suspended Vick.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/falcons/stories/2007/10/09/falconsburst_1009.html?cxntlid=homepage_tab_newsta b

Arthur Blank may not have a clue when it comes to hiring players and coaches but he clearly has a better eye when it comes to recruiting lawyers.

revefsreleets
10-09-2007, 06:41 PM
Good luck getting a penny of it. But the real question becomes which of the most desperate of the desperate teams give this douche a 32nd chance?

rbryan
10-10-2007, 12:36 AM
The real benefit to the Falcons is the cap relief moving forward. 19 million is lunch money for Blank, but getting that $ back in regards to the salary cap is huge and a big step for the franchise towards moving on from the Michael Vick experience.

Preacher
10-10-2007, 01:48 AM
The real benefit to the Falcons is the cap relief moving forward. 19 million is lunch money for Blank, but getting that $ back in regards to the salary cap is huge and a big step for the franchise towards moving on from the Michael Vick experience.

Yep.... that is absolutely true.

However, watch for the Raiders or the Ravens to pick him up.

Atlanta Dan
10-10-2007, 07:14 AM
Good luck getting a penny of it.

At least for now this is true - Vick already has to deal with a lawsuit by one bank to recover a $2.5 million line of credit. I do not think he has been putting most of his salary into Treasury bonds.

But if he ever does get another gig in the NFL the Falcons can attach his wages.

revefsreleets
10-10-2007, 08:36 AM
I don't know, I don't know. I see a possibility of this guy ending up like Mike Tyson, or, worse, Maurice Clarrett.