View Full Version : 4 Injured in Cleveland School Shooting

SteelCityMan786
10-10-2007, 09:24 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21224357/?GT1=10450
Police: Suspended boy shoots 4 at Ohio school
14-year-old suspect apparently killed himself after attack, police say

MSNBC staff and news service reports
Updated: 2 hours, 6 minutes ago

CLEVELAND - A 14-year-old suspended student, dressed in black, shot four people in his downtown high school Wednesday before he killed himself, police said.

A fellow student at SuccessTech Academy alternative school said Asa H. Coon, who was suspended for fighting two days earlier, had made threats in front of students and teachers last week.

“He’s crazy. He threatened to blow up our school. He threatened to stab everybody,” Doneisha LeVert said. “We didn’t think nothing of it.”

Coon was armed with two .38-caliber revolvers, and police found a duffel bag stocked with ammunition and three knives in a bathroom, officials said. Parents were angry that firearms got into a school equipped with metal detectors that students said were intermittently used.

Officials said two teachers and two students were shot, and a 14-year-old girl fell and hurt her knee while running out of the school.

Students hide under tables, in closets
Witnesses said the shooter moved through the converted five-story downtown office building, working his way up through the first two floors of administrative offices to the third floor of classrooms. Officials said he was wearing a black Marilyn Manson concert shirt, black jeans and black-painted finger nails.

The first person shot, student Michael Peek, had punched Coon in the face right before the shootings began, said student Rasheem Smith, 15.

FirstPerson: Send in your report
Do you have information, video, pictures from the scene?

Coon “came out of the bathroom and bumped Mike and he (Mike) punched him in his face. Mike started walking. He shot Mike in the side.” Peek, 14, didn’t know Coon had a gun, Smith said.

Antonio Deberry, 17, said he and his classmates hid under laboratory tables and watched the shooter move down the hallway. “I saw him walking past. He didn’t see us, we saw him.” The shooter swore and shot several times, Deberry said.

LeVert said she hid in a closet with two other students after she heard a “Code Blue” alert over the loudspeaker. She said she heard about 10 shots.

Shooting victim speaks about incident
Darnell Rodgers, 18, was walking up to another floor when the stairway suddenly became flooded with students.

“It took me a couple of minutes to realize that I was actually shot, when I felt my arm burning in the area, that’s when I realized that I had got shot,” Rodgers said.

“They were screaming, and they were saying, ‘Oh my God, oh my God.’ I knew something was wrong, but thought that it was probably just a fight, so I just kept going,” Rodgers said.

Rodgers was released from a hospital after treatment for a graze wound to his right elbow.

SteelCityMan786
10-10-2007, 09:25 PM
This is getting even more rediculous. A new school year and people are trying to spark new violence.

Borski
10-11-2007, 12:29 AM
At least he didn't kill any of the victims, it could have been much much worse. this is still sad to see.

Preacher
10-11-2007, 02:25 AM
There are just so many things that are wrong with this picture.

What a shame.

revefsreleets
10-11-2007, 08:48 AM
Naturally, this is all over the news here. First off, this kid was a freak and a ticking timebomb. He wore white paint on his face, was an avowed satan worshiper and the people in the school knew this. He was also in a fight just a couple days prior that was actually captured on a surveilance camera of one of the network affiliate stations, and one of the guys from the station helped break up the fight. The kid was vowing to blow up the school and kill everyone at that point, and then there is this:

“He’s crazy. He threatened to blow up our school. He threatened to stab everybody,” Doneisha LeVert said. “We didn’t think nothing of it.”

Notwithstanding the obvious comments I could make about the grammar of this obviously Cleveland School system educated girl, she really says it all. Why didn't anyone take this kid seriously? What more did he have to do to telegraph this, strap bandoliers across his chest and where web gear covered with grenades to school?

The problem is that it's politically incorrect to single people out. If this same kid would have been sent to counseling or something prior to this event, the bleeding hearts would have been upset because the school system picked on a kid just because he's different. And I have no doubt that the parents will turn out to be trash, as well.

Oh, one more thing (sorry, I'm angry at all this). This punk kid went after a particular teacher. He shot him once, and as the teacher begged for his life, he shot him again. Then, just for good measure, he shot him a third time.

83-Steelers-43
10-11-2007, 09:39 AM
Cleveland Mayor Wants Law to Ban Anyone Under 21 From Possessing a Firearm
Monday, September 10, 2007

CLEVELAND — Cleveland's mayor called on the state Monday to create a new law that would prohibit anyone under age 21 from possessing a firearm.

Mayor Frank Jackson's proposal followed the shooting death last week of a 12-year-old girl who was hit by a stray bullet as she walked to a corner store. He noted that police statistics from 2004 to 2006 show 70 percent of those arrested for crimes involving firearms were under 28.

Under Ohio law, no one under 18 is permitted to purchase a firearm. A person must be at least 21 to obtain a permit to carry a concealed weapon.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,296326,00.html

Maybe the guy is not as crazy as some may think. This will never happen, but it does make you (well me anyways) wonder. After reading this article, Cleveland has some problems. I also believe they are leading the nation in major city poverty....

Cleveland records homicide #100 for the year
Posted by Staff reports September 26, 2007 09:05AM
Categories: Crime

The 100th homicide this year in Cleveland came at 6:30 this morning. A man with a gunshot wound was dropped off at Fairview General Hospital, where he died.

Last year, Cleveland didn't reach 100 homicides until late November.

The latest violence started near West 130th Street and Bellaire when two men tried to buy drugs with fake money. One of the would-be customers, a man in his 20s, was shot.

The other man rushed him to Fairview. The driver then drove to a house on West 136th Street just north of Lorain Avenue.

Police arrested a 30-year-old man there. He was intoxicated and had not provided homicide detectives with any leads as of 11:50 a.m., said Commander Ed Tomba.

The name of the dead man and his partner were not released.

http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2007/09/gunshot_victim_dies_at_fairvie.html

revefsreleets
10-11-2007, 09:52 AM
I hate taking away rights from adults who are old enough to die in Iraq. Seems the problem is deeper, and the solution needs to be equally deep. It has to start with ending this goddam political correctness that keeps people frozen in fear from actually disciplining children.

TroysBadDawg
10-11-2007, 09:55 AM
I am getting heck on the Browns front for saying what do they expect in the Cleveland schools. I am sorry, but the inner city schools in the big five in Ohio; Toledo, Cleveland, Columbus, Dayton, and Cincinnati, receive the lion’s share of the educational money from the state and it is like throwing money down an empty pit. These are kids that do not want to learn, they would rather be on the streets because they have no guidance at home. The parents most are on welfare but all have cable television, cell phones, new designer clothes, all the latest video games, and wide screen televisions. I did my student teaching in the Dayton school system where they have metal detectors to go through for access into the building, in Elementary School. Yet these children still have knives and guns and they have armed guards patrolling the halls. It was a 4, 5, 6 grade building and yet I got stabbed the third week I was there. I threw the child up against the wall and I was charged with racial discrimination because I attacked him by throwing him against the wall. Oh yes it was not my test it was the co-operating teachers and the child was about three inches shorter than me and about 30 pounds lighter, in the 6th grade. Nothing was said about him stabbing me first. He said I got him mad because I gave him an “F” on his paper, he earned it. He got ever answer wrong, maybe I should have given him an “E” for effort? It was eventually thrown out but it took a year for me to receive my teaching license because of it.

This child is now serving a life sentence for murder, he killed a classmate over a sandwich, he was 19 and in the 11 grade.

83-Steelers-43
10-11-2007, 09:56 AM
It has to start with ending this goddam political correctness that keeps people frozen in fear from actually disciplining children.

I hear that. My sister is a teacher at a Pittsburgh city school and if she looks at a kid wrong the kid's mom and dad (in many cases is lacking one or the other) come down and scream profiling and all this other B.S. She, along with other teachers have been threatened but that's okay. The principle is scared to do anything about it because who needs a lawsuit? Walking on eggshells for the most part.

Starts at home if you ask me. But some type of gun control would be nice.

revefsreleets
10-11-2007, 10:06 AM
Wow, Troy's, thats intense. But proves the point. Kids run wild now, and if anyone tries to do anything, they get sued. It's such a mess, and I don't know if there is anyway to stop it. Gun sweeps through high crime areas? No way. Jackson and Sharpton would swoop down quicker than you can say "common sense answer".

As for the money being thrown away, it amazes me the amount of money spent per student in inner city schools. In Ohio, it might be as high as 20,000 per student, and right next door there are private schools giving top notch education for literally half that. Yet, every vote, there are the school levies again for the inner city schools.

No offense, but the teachers are not without blame. This whole new philosophy of trying to talk through problems and timeouts and stuff DOES NOT WORK.

83-Steelers-43
10-11-2007, 10:08 AM
It was a 4, 5, 6 grade building and yet I got stabbed the third week I was there.

Wow, where on your body did the little shit stab you? That's crazy. Glad to hear you came out of it alive TBD.

83-Steelers-43
10-11-2007, 10:10 AM
No offense, but the teachers are not without blame. This whole new philosophy of trying to talk through problems and timeouts and stuff DOES NOT WORK.

That's because a good number of teachers are scared to do anything. What can they do really without worrying about being sued or fired? When the parents don't give a damn and the higher ups (principles and others on staff) are scared to do anything, it's hard for a teacher to do anything. Particulary when they are being threatened not only with lawsuits and the very probable chance of being unemployed, but with bodily harm.

revefsreleets
10-11-2007, 10:20 AM
I'm actually talking about all these crazy policies that started in the 70's and 80's. The lawsuits are the chicken, but the policy change was the egg. My parents did NOT believe in timeout. When I was bad, I got my ass whooped, just like children have for the past 10,000 years.

I often wonder if "The Greatest Generation" would have been so great if today's crazy system of zero accountability and rampant (and unearned) entitlement were prevalent when they grew up.

Doubt it strongly.

TroysBadDawg
10-11-2007, 10:25 AM
I was stabbed in the side, pissed me off really. Didn't think I was hurt until a girl started screaming I was bleeding then I threw him against the wall and held him there unil security came. They started yelling at me for holding him against the wall. I told him to cuff him Or I would put them against the wall next to him or through the wall. I didn't care at that point. About that time a male teacher came in and pushed security out of the way and pulled his own set of cuffs out and cuffed him. Told me to get my own set, and that shool security was as useless as tits on tree, that really got the secruity guy mad. told him to get out of our face or he would personally put him though the wall and for him to call an ambulance for me. Found out he played pro football. When I got back to the school he was gone, he quit, left the next day said he was fed up with the dayton schools. Found out you were not allowed to give F's the lowest grade you were supposed to give was a 68. even if they turned in a blank paper. That was Dr. WIlliams rule, who was Superintendent at the time, he wanted to give the confidence. I said it was giving them something for nothing.

TroysBadDawg
10-11-2007, 10:28 AM
BTW I nolonger teach anywhere, I don't subsitute teach either. I refuse to babysit for 55.00 a day. That is less than I pay a baby sitter per child per hour.

Not with two BA and three MA. No school would hire me full time said I was over educated.

And my fingers still can't spell for crap, took them to school all that time and they never learnt how. that is why I had to hire a sexretary

Oh Oh got to go the RT is here for my breathing treatment, be back later, if I am still alive.

revefsreleets
10-11-2007, 10:29 AM
Oh boy, don't get me started on the whole truckload of horseshit that is "There are no failures".

83-Steelers-43
10-11-2007, 10:32 AM
BTW I nolonger teach anywhere, I don't subsitute teach either. I refuse to babysit for 55.00 a day. That is less than I pay a baby sitter per child per hour.

I don't blame you. It's seems some people expect teachers to teach (understandable) and babysit/raise the kids for them. The parents step up and become a voice when the kid get's in trouble. Then they decide to care all of a sudden. I'm not sure if that's how it was in Dayton, but that seems to be the case where my sister teaches. Obviously that is not the case with all the parents, but a good number.

Teaching up here was sort of an eye opening experience to her. She started out in Fayetteville, NC. Small school. Pay was absolutely pathetic. Then she moved back up here and found an opening in the city. Pay is better, but definately a different atmosphere. She is now a full-time babysitter and teacher...lol.

CB1977
10-11-2007, 12:17 PM
This is a pretty intense subject and unfortunately, it happens way too often. Troy, I didn't realize you went through so much shit in your teaching days. My daughter is in her second year of college studying Elementary Education (K-3). She has wanted to be a teacher most of her life due to the positive experience she had in her school and the great teachers that she had all throughout school. I'm not saying that our school district is the greatest....it's far from that but, it's the kids that are going to school that want to learn and how education is stressed at home.
I can only hope and pray that when she finds a job as a teacher, she doesn't run into anything like what happened in Cleveland yesterday...

So so sad.

TroysBadDawg
10-11-2007, 06:09 PM
My son now wants to be a teacher, and I told him if that is what he wants, go for it but realize your never going to live in a big house. His mom (my wife) has been teaching now for 28 years, with her Masters plus 30+ and kids graduating from college will make more than she is starting their jobs. Teachers are some of the lowest paid professions out there, yet they have the most demands on them. Why is this, because they are paid with tax dollars, and who get paid the highest, the administrators who have no pupil contact? They are the paper pushers the PR people so to speak. It is sad to say I see no change in this until the citizens’ wake up and tell the Boards of Education to change the way the pay is distributed. To tell the state elected officials to change the way the schools are supported. Until then it will not happen. I have heard time over; Schools are for football or basketball, the rest they learn at home. I guess at home they learn how to get on assistance, food stamps, public housing, and what ever else there is.
That has got to stop. What again has happened to accountability, both in the home and in the government?

I need to get off this soap box. I feel my blood pressure going up, fifth floor womens lingerie’s, better dress's, going up!

83-Steelers-43
10-12-2007, 11:21 AM
Way to go mom and dad, keep up the good work.......

Mom Charged With Buying Teen Weapons in School Attack Plot
Friday, October 12, 2007

PLYMOUTH MEETING, Pa. ? The mother of a 14-year-old who authorities say had a cache of guns, knives and explosive devices in his bedroom for a possible school attack in Pennsylvania was charged Friday with buying her son three weapons.

Michele Cossey bought her son, a .22-caliber handgun, a .22-caliber rifle and a 9 mm semiautomatic rifle, authorities said. The teen, who is home schooled, felt bullied and tried to recruit another boy for the possible attack at Plymouth Whitemarsh High School, authorities said.

Police on Wednesday found the rifle, about 30 air-powered guns, swords, knives, a bomb-making book, videos of the 1999 Columbine attack in Colorado and violence-filled notebooks, Montgomery County District Attorney Bruce L. Castor Jr. said. The weapons were plainly visible in the boy's bedroom, he said.

Cossey bought the rifle, which had a laser scope, at a gun show on Sept. 23 and provided police with a receipt, investigators said in court papers. The teenager said the two .22-caliber weapons were stored at a friend's house.

J. David Farrell, the lawyer representing the teenager, stressed that people need to keep in mind that of all but one of the weapons put on display Thursday by prosecutors were BB guns and air rifles.

"The one gun was legally purchased and there were no bullets in the house," he said.

The boy's father, Frank Cossey, also tried to buy his son a rifle in 2005, but was not allowed to because he was a felon, police said Friday.

The teen, who FoxNews.com is not identifying, was charged as a juvenile with solicitation to commit terror and other counts and was being held at a youth facility. He had a brief court appearance Friday at which he was ordered to remain in juvenile detention.

His arrest came the same day another 14-year-old in Ohio opened fire at his Cleveland high school, wounding four before killing himself.

Farrell noted it is not illegal in Pennsylvania for a minor to fire a weapon under adult supervision and said he did not believe the students at Plymouth Whitemarsh were in any danger.

"They're showing 30 guns on a desk that appear to be handguns and saying this was a Columbine in the making," Farrell said. "That's simply not borne out by the facts."

Michelle Cossey was charged with unlawful transfer of a firearm, possession of a firearm by a minor, corruption of a minor, endangering the welfare of a child and two counts of reckless endangerment. She appeared at a bail hearing and was freed on bail. Neither she nor her husband spoke to reporters.

Castor has said he does not believe and attack was imminent or would occur at all. He said Friday that the teen was intelligent, but had a "disturbed mind."

"This was a smart kid that clearly believes he was picked on and was a victim," Castor said. "He had psychological issues and began to act out on those feelings."

Michelle Cossey did not appear to have any role in planning an attack "but by virtue of her indulgence, she enabled him to get in this position," Castor said. "This is not the best parenting I've ever seen and she needs to be held accountable."

Her son seemed fascinated by the 1999 massacre at Columbine High School. His account on MySpace, the social networking site, is filled with references to Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold, who killed 12 schoolmates and a teacher before killing themselves

"I am pretymuch the posterboy for the person that rests upon the line between Geineus and Madman/Pycopath," Dillon Cossey wrote in post riddling with spelling errors.

He lists his motto as: "Mess with the best, Die like the rest."

He also posted videos recreating the lives of Klebold and Harris and tribute videos to the two shooters.

Police, who searched the home with the permission of the teen's parents, also discovered seven explosive devices Castor has described as homemade grenades: plastic containers filled with BBs to which gunpowder could be added. Authorities said one grenade was operable and the others had been in the process of being assembled.

The search did not turn up any ammunition for the most dangerous firearm in the bunch, the assault rifle.

The teen previously attended middle school in the district but had been taught at home for more than a year after voluntarily leaving school, Castor said.

Plymouth Township police searched the home after getting a tip Wednesday from a high school student and his father.

"I was just sick of hearing about all these school shootings," Lewis Bennett, the boy who tipped off police, told the Philadelphia Daily News. "I didn't want another kid to do the same thing and keep this chain of events going on."

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,301379,00.html

http://www.foxnews.com/images/313350/3_61_101107_arsenal01.jpg

revefsreleets
10-12-2007, 11:50 AM
Yeah, here come the copycats. One one hand you kind of have to feel sorry for them. I mean dad's a felon, and mom is probably some tweaker, and it sounds like the only attention they paid to this kid was by buying him guns. In this case I think it's nature and nuture working against him. I bet there are a lot of situations out there just like this. A LOT. Pretty scary.

TroysBadDawg
10-12-2007, 04:19 PM
What is it that Forest Gump said? "Stupid is as Stupid does." Teaching him at home to learn what .... Beats me?