PDA

View Full Version : Roethlisberger's More Than a Manager

SteelDogFan
10-11-2007, 03:04 PM
You'll often hear it said that Ben Roethlisberger is a game manager. It's meant as a quasi-compliment/slap in the face for a quarterback who's not good enough to carry a team. It's a tag Roethlisberger began to develop during his rookie season when he was kept on a tight leash during a 15-1 season and one he earned for good when he played terribly but still was part of the Steelers' Super Bowl win over the Seahawks.

Never mind the fact that Roethlisberger was the key to the Steelers improbable run rhrough the AFC playoffs. The conventional wisdom had been set in stone: ask him to throw 20 passes a game and he can help you win. Ask him to throw 35 and he's likely to throw a crushing interception.
On Sunday, Roethlisberger threw only 22 passes. But he wasn't managing the game, he was carrying the Steelers offense on his shoulders. With both of his starting wide receivers sitting on the sideline and the Seahawks largely shutting down the Steelers running game, Roethlisberger connected on every key pass in the second and third quarter to turn a 0-0 game into a 21-0 Steelers romp. Roethlisberger missed on only one pass in the final three quarters and was a perfect seven-of-seven on third-down conversions over the final three quarters despite playing with the team's No. 3, 4 and 5 wide receivers.

Here's the breakdown of those third down passes:

Third-and-seven: Roethlisberger connects on an 8-yard pass to Heath Miller.
Third-and-three: Big Ben hits Miller for a 7-yard touchdown.
Third-and-11: Najeh Davenport gets free for a 40+ yard catch, but a holding penalty brings it back.
Third-and-13: The play after the holding penalty Cedric Wilson gets open for a 15-yard pass.
Third-and-seven: Heath Miller again, as the tight end catches a 13-yard pass.
Third-and-17: Wilson's turn again as he catches a 17-yarder.
Third-and-three: A short dump off pass to Najeh Davenport turns into 17 yards.

That's seven different plays where drives were on the line. It includes three conversions on third and more than 10. On Sunday at least Roethlisberger was more than a game manager.

Matt Hasselback is more than a game manager too, but on Sunday the Seahawks wide receivers could find no openings and Shaun Alexander is breaking no big plays. The combination left Hasselback battered and bruised and sitting on the bench for his own safety in the fourth quarter.

I knew Ben was on but I didn't know he was that on!

Galax Steeler
10-12-2007, 03:35 AM
That had a huge impact on the game getting first downs and touchdowns on them third downs.

4n2t0
10-13-2007, 01:11 PM
Roethlisberger is an average QB, that's why he gets the game manager title. He's not Manning or Brady but he definitely gets the job done. You could split hairs and call him slightly above average but that also would be silly.

Roethlisberger probably won't set too many all time passing records but he's serviceable, aka average, aka game manager.

Don't get hung up on titles.

SteelDogFan
10-13-2007, 01:43 PM
If you went back and looked at Ben's college years you would see that the only reason he is not putting up big numbers is because the Steelers offense is not structured that way. Don't get me wrong I love the teams offense and would not change it. I don't think he would be Brady but I believe he has the talent to throw the ball a lot more. He may struggle at first but I believe he would flourish in a pass first offense.

Edman
10-13-2007, 01:49 PM
I'm glad Ben's "just an average game manager". Makes it even more fun to rub it in opposing fans' faces when he beats them.

And since Ben's "just a game manager". Teams will likely not gameplan for him and key on the run. Any Steeler fan with a brain can see that Ben can win when the coaching staff opens up the offense any time that isn't in the fourth quarter when the Steelers are down a few scores.

fansince'76
10-13-2007, 02:00 PM
Roethlisberger probably won't set too many all time passing records but he's serviceable, aka average, aka game manager.

By this definition, Joe Montana was a "game manager" as well. More proof of the "fantasy football syndrome."

stlrtruck
10-13-2007, 03:12 PM
Let's face it, Ben definitely is not a Peyton type QB but he's definitely better than a manager of the game.

Instead of relying on Ben, as the Colts do, Ben is allowed to play his role and he's taking control of the offense on the field. And isn't that what the QB is suppose to do?

Big D
10-13-2007, 04:14 PM
I think bens success this year has a lot to do with tomlins confidence in ben. I think tomlin already has more confidence in ben the cowher ever did

HometownGal
10-13-2007, 04:38 PM
I think bens success this year has a lot to do with tomlins confidence in ben. I think tomlin already has more confidence in ben the cowher ever did

:thumbsup: Most definitely, D. I also think that he has developed a great alliance with Arians and is permitted more input as to brainstorming and play-calling. I believe this is a major factor in seeing a different swagger to Ben thus far this season. :tt02:

Crushzilla
10-13-2007, 04:50 PM
:thumbsup: Most definitely, D. I also think that he has developed a great alliance with Arians and is permitted more input as to brainstorming and play-calling. I believe this is a major factor in seeing a different swagger to Ben thus far this season. :tt02:

Right. It goes along with the idea that an animal in captivity will only grow as large as its habitat allows it to.

Ben couldn't grow into a true quarterback until he was unleashed, something Cowher wouldn't do. He's only going to get better now that he's in an offense that is going to allow him to manage the game, as well. I don't mean that as a "game manager" (because that has grown to be a term for quarterbacks who can't throw their team over their shoulder when they have to) but as someone who is going to be given an opportunity to have input toward how the offense is going to be run.

It builds confidence in Ben, builds confidence in the offense, and makes the coaching staff confident that everyone is going to be confidently confident.

steel striker
10-13-2007, 05:35 PM
:tt02:I see things a little different here. Elway did not win a super bowl until he had Terell Davis and a good running game. When Denver won back to back super bowls Elway did not throw the ball 35-40 times per game. Montana took what you gave him and, he was very accurate. Look at Troy Aikman and as much as I hate admit this being a steeler fan he was anothe QB that took what you gave him. They had a such a good cast of players. Again Aikman did not have to win the game on his own. Some of these so called experts need to wake up and smell the coffee. I've said this once and I'll say it again Ben is a winner and he has had good sucess at every level of football that he has played. I realize that we have a very good team here in Pittsburgh but, Ben is a playmaker and I will just about always defend him.

Ben can make all the throws and, I really believe if he makes the right decisions this year we will be to really do something. I know I'm rambling here but, this is no reason why we can't win it all this year like in 2005. Our defense is good and, the offense is getting there. The special teams does concern me a little but, I'm sure we can correct giving up that big play on sprcial teams. Now back to Ben I think alot of people are jealous of him because he is the youngest Qb to ever win the super bowl.

:tt02:
Striker

figg
10-13-2007, 10:18 PM
Roethlisberger is an average QB, that's why he gets the game manager title. He's not Manning or Brady but he definitely gets the job done. You could split hairs and call him slightly above average but that also would be silly.

Don't get hung up on titles.

Average? Define how Ben is an average QB.

Preacher
10-14-2007, 01:21 AM
I'm glad Ben's "just an average game manager". Makes it even more fun to rub it in opposing fans' faces when he beats them.

Absolutely!

Every other team's board is hilarious in how they deal with Ben.

They all think he is going to blow up, then have to come up with reasons why he doesn't... EVERY GAME... the next team does the same thing.

steel striker
10-14-2007, 10:06 AM
I also think Ben is a rare bread because, witrh his size 6'5 240lbs he can move and make some great plays. That is when he is so dangerous and, maybe the so called experts do not want to give him props. The other teams however due know when the steelers come to town they better be ready. He is much more than a game manager and, why throw it 35-40 times when you don't have to?

4n2t0
10-14-2007, 12:54 PM
By this definition, Joe Montana was a "game manager" as well. More proof of the "fantasy football syndrome."

Don't be facetious, you know what I meant. What mentality was used to proclaim Montana a game manager? I'd like to know what syndrome that falls under. Montana's 8th in passing TD's and 9th in passing yards all time, that doesn't qualify as a game manager.

See, I can be facetious too.

Edman
10-14-2007, 01:15 PM
If Ben's just a game manager, how come when he has a bad game, the Steelers usually play bad and lose? I thought the team and the talent around Ben carries him?

I pray to God Ben never shakes off the 'Game Manager' label. Opposing teams won't respect him and key on the running game. And you know damn well Ben can win games with his arm. You're kidding yourself if you say he can't.

Steeldude
10-14-2007, 01:32 PM
BR is pretty much just a game manager. he takes what the defense gives him. there is nothng wrong with beng a game manager. not every QB can be a brady or manning.

until he proves that he can consistently carry the offense when the running game isn't working he will always be a game manager. as of now, when the running game isn't working he folds ala cardinals' game.

cubanstogie
10-14-2007, 01:35 PM
Calling Ben an average QB is the most ignorant thing I've read on this board, especially from a Steelers' fan who I would think has watched Ben more than the average fan. Average would be Chad Pennington, Damon Huard, Trent Green. Ben is significantly better than those guys and I rate him anywhere from third to fifth best in league. A couple of years ago when Brady wasn't putting up Manning numbers he was called a manager and a system QB. I will not use motorcycle injury as excuse because thats part of who he is and he should be held accountable, but last year was only bad year of his 3.25 years in the league. Not many QB's have started out this good that time frame. I see the Steelers winning another SB under Ben, and only if that happens will he earn the respect of ignorant fans who can't spot talent.

wvsportsman
10-14-2007, 04:34 PM
Hey guy's and gals, anyone but me remember what Bradshaw went thru in his early years? I think he eventully became more than a game manager! I can also remember Peyton Manning, Brady and Elway's early years weren't all rosie either. Give the man time! I think he's done well so far..

fansince'76
10-14-2007, 07:24 PM
What mentality was used to proclaim Montana a game manager? I'd like to know what syndrome that falls under.
See, I can be facetious too.

The "fantasy football" mentality that says if a guy doesn't air it out 40-50 times for 300+ every game, he's a "game manager." THAT mentality.

Preacher
10-14-2007, 07:46 PM
The "fantasy football" mentality that says if a guy doesn't air it out 40-50 times for 300+ every game, he's a "game manager." THAT mentality.

GAME...SET...MATCH

NV STEELERS 723
10-14-2007, 08:40 PM
I'm fine w/ Ben and what the STEELERS ask him to do...I love our Defense, and Ben knows what side his bread is buttered on...

If you don't have a talented OF line how can you pass the ball? ...Not even Brady can do what he does w/ a crappy OF line!

iloveben7
10-14-2007, 08:43 PM
I think a lot of people are just jealous of Ben with what he's done in only his 4th year in the NFL. Some QB's don't even get to start until their 4th year.

figg
10-15-2007, 10:44 PM
People who think Ben is an avg or a system qb dont watch the games or just dont know football. They listen to the talking heads on espn and nfl net. They had the nerve to say that the Steelers won because they were able to run against Seattle :dang: Ben and the passing game opened up the run.