PDA

View Full Version : 75 Year Old Comcast Customer Storms Pay Center With Hammer

MACH1
10-11-2007, 04:24 PM
A 75 year old Virginia woman, fed up with her cable company, decided to take matters into her own hands. She grabbed her hammer and headed right for the Comcast office in Manassas. What she did next frightened the employees so much that they called police.

http://www.myfoxdc.com/myfox/pages/Home/Detail?contentId=4590482&version=1&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=VSTY&pageId=1.1.1

:toofunny::toofunny::toofunny::toofunny:

revefsreleets
10-11-2007, 05:17 PM
Good thing she wasn't fed up with her dish company. Then she would have had threaten the employees with a hammer over a 1-800 number.

I've been thinking about this lately, and I feel like I've been too hard on my cable company lately (Time Warner). They sponsor a lot of events in the community. They provide free cable to schools. They provide a lot of pretty good local jobs. And, pound for pound, I can't get the same services from a Dish company without incorporating the phone company and buying services I don't use or need.

There was also a nice article in the NYT's about Big Ten vs. Cable. The guy concluded at the end:

"I have no idea how the regulators will view this fight, if it ever gets to them, but I know who I'm rooting for: the cable guys. Yes, it's true: Cable companies own regional sports networks and other sports channels that are on basic cable. It's also true that ESPN is now up to something like a half-dozen different channels, and that every time a cable network grabs a major league sport, it raises its rates. You can't put Pandora back in the box. But you can say: Enough.

I'm a big sports fan myself, but it is easy enough to see the Big Ten Network and NFL Network for what they are: attempts to extract maximum dollar for not very much in return. If, as a result, they turn out to be the test case for whether a sports tier even becomes part of the television landscape, then so much the better. A sport tier may not be what works for them, but it sure makes sense for the rest of us."

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/06/business/06nocera.html?pagewanted=1&n=Top/News/Business/Columns/Joe%20Nocera&_r=1

Atlanta Dan
10-11-2007, 07:03 PM
I have had issues with Comcast (I finally went to AT&T for DSL) but as far as TV access goes service was a non-issue - cable and satellite have different strengths.

But DirecTV pays a ransom to keep Sunday Ticket away from cable to hold on to customers like me - watching the Steelers is a big reason I got my HDTV and only DirecTV can deliver that every Sunday.

I agree with the cable companies that non-sports fans should not have their bills jacked up to support networks like Big Ten & NFL Network - ala carte pricing seems like the equitable way to go to me.

revefsreleets
10-11-2007, 08:53 PM
The dish companies have a couple advantages over the cable companies, and they are brilliant at exploiting them. The lack of infrastructure and the corresponding upkeep is a huge advantage. The NFL Sunday Ticket package has probably, by now, reached loss leader status for the dish companies, but they know that.

I have no problem heading to the sports bar for the occasional non-televised game, both college and pro. But not everyone feels the same way. It's an interesting conundrum regardless of the eventual outcome.

Godfather
10-11-2007, 10:19 PM
I have a dish in order to get DirecTV...WWL (the local CBS affiliate) never shows the Steelers. Plus I can add Fox Sports Pittsburgh to the package. And if there's another hurricane the satellite will be up and running again the next day instead of waiting several weeks.

Godfather
10-11-2007, 10:26 PM
Here's an experience on of my friends had with Comcast after moving to maryland. Warning, NSFW language.

So you Wanna know why my page has been down for a week and a half? Lemme give you a background on my experience with Comcast on a date by date basis.

September 9th, 2003
I call Comcast and schedule my appointment to install my High-Defintion Box for September 20th, 2003.

September 20th, 2003
My Appointment is from 1-5pm. I am there until 5:45pm and he never shows up. I must leave. I call Comcast and they tell me they can't give me a credit on my bill because I wasn't there when he showed up 2 hours late. They can't give me priority service so I have to schedule for 4 weeks later.

October 18th, 2003
I have my appointment scheduled for 1-5. I call to order the Ole Miss Game on ESPN Gameplan at noon. They tell me they cannot order it because I already have 1 "thing" in the system (my appointment). I HAD to get the Ole Miss game. They tell me they have to cancel my appointment. The guy is ALREADY in the truck and ALREADY has my box. They CALL him and tell him NOT to stop by because they couldn't give me the game until they canceled the appointment (SUCH BULLshiat, fark THEIR SYSTEM). I reschedule for 3 weeks later.

October 28th, 2003
I come home and my cable is out. Just gone! I Call comcast and tell them it is out. They can't get someone out here until the 30th. I biatch but finally I give up and say ok.

October 30th, 2003
I call Thursday morning to confirm the appointment. It's confirmed. I call at 5pm to confirm. They tell me that it has already been completed. A technician came by and gave me a restart on Wednesday night. I tell them it's still out and they reopen it and say it could be as late as 11pm before he gets there. So I call at MIDNIGHT!!! and they tell me it has been completed because they gave me a restart. Comcast people are RETARDS!!!!!! I tell them this and they said if noone is there by noon the next day to call back.

October 31th, 2003
I call them at noon and tell them no one came by. THEY CLOSED IT OUT AGAIN COMPLETED FOR THE SAME REASON. I Tell these farking idiots they are just that and they tell me that they cannot get out there again for *5* days. I say fark that and give me a supervisor. I biatch and say nasty words. I said stuff you would NOT believe and probably would never say. But I got someone from Comcast out here in 20 minutes. I set a record. Now I know the guy that came out has NOTHING to do with any of this, so I was nice to him. He told me that someone would have to come rerun my lines through the apartment. I say ok and they say someone will be here at 8am SHARP!

November 3rd, 2003
Noone is here by 9:30am so I go to work and leave a message. He called me at 12:30 (when he got there) and tells me that he cannot run in through my apartment and that they will have to come run and underground cable and TEAR UP CONCRETE to do it. He said it takes 5-10 days. I said ok (At this point I don't care anymore).

November 7th, 2003
I come home and see cable spooled up outside my house. I call comcast and try to setup an appointment to get it ran INSIDE my house. They say it isn't closed out yet and to give it 24 hours because they cannot schedule another appointment until this one is completed. Keep in mind I want to fark comcast as much as possible at this point. I have an appointment for the next day to install my High-Def. I'm NOT cancelling it. Make his ass come out here, biatch!

November 8th, 2003
My appointment is here from 9-1. He shows up at 9am sharp. I tell him my situation and dude breaks out a 2 foot drill bit and commences to drill 2 hoes through my BRICK WALL into my 2 rooms where I want cable. He does everything and gets me going AND I get my High-Def box (which is great by the way). I can't believe how it turned out.

In conclusion, thanks to the Comcast contractor who came out here and fixed my shiat and a big **** YOU, YOU STUPID SADISTIC ABUSIVE ****ING ***** OF A CUMRAG to Comcast Cablevision. IF you weren't the ONLY choice with your features, I'd be farking gone. Thank god I don't have to deal with these people anymore (hopefully). So that is why I've been down for so long. That's enough for now. Peace out!

revefsreleets
10-12-2007, 09:26 AM
Well, that sucks. I've never had any of these problems. The longest my cable has ever been out is a few hours, and the longest roadrunner was ever out was maybe 12 hours. The service appointments are usually within a couple days, and all my installs always go pretty smoothly.

TackleMeBen
10-12-2007, 10:01 AM
Comcast blows. I paid my bill with my credit card then the a few months later i get a bill for like 600.00. come to find out someone had put the charges back on my bill after i had paid them. i told the supervisior that i dont know who would have called to reverse the charges since my name is the only on the credit card and bill...she tried to tell me that they wouldnt just reverse the charges and said well someone did b/c its already on my credit statement and there is not a credit on my credit statement. they are most idiotic people i have ever had to deal with.

X-Terminator
10-12-2007, 12:00 PM
Go Granny Go!!! :jammin:

I really can't stand Comcast - not only do they rape you every month with their ridiculous prices, they have some of the worst customer service in the world when it comes to scheduling appointments. You'd think with all of the money they pick out of my wallet every month, they'd hire people who'd at least be reasonably competent. I really hope Verizon rolls out FiOS TV sometime in the next year, so I can finally have a choice since I can't have satellite in my apartment...though I'm not particularly thrilled at the thought of dealing with them either. At least when I call Comcast, I talk to an English-speaking American.

Preacher
10-12-2007, 11:10 PM
I always make sure I have southeast access when I rent an apartment. There is NO WAY I want to be dependent on cable.

Hammer67
10-13-2007, 08:47 AM
Yeah...I have been real happy ever since I made the jump to DirecTV. Have had nothing but good things about their service. And, I have long been a Comcast (and then Charter) customer.) You just can't beat DirecTV if you want HD channels. And..I get the Big Ten channel in HD without a bill increase!!!!!

Hammer67
10-13-2007, 08:49 AM
But DirecTV pays a ransom to keep Sunday Ticket away from cable to hold on to customers like me - watching the Steelers is a big reason I got my HDTV and only DirecTV can deliver that every Sunday.

I agree with the cable companies that non-sports fans should not have their bills jacked up to support networks like Big Ten & NFL Network - ala carte pricing seems like the equitable way to go to me.

I will say that the NFL is to blame for Sunday Ticket only being offered through one service. They like lucrative exclusive deals. Look at how they handle clothing merchandising..... And, the NFL license is only available on the Madden line of video games, which sucks.

Atlanta Dan
10-13-2007, 09:57 AM
I will say that the NFL is to blame for Sunday Ticket only being offered through one service. They like lucrative exclusive deals. Look at how they handle clothing merchandising..... And, the NFL license is only available on the Madden line of video games, which sucks.

The NFL knows that selling NFL Sunday Ticket to DirecTV is like selling heroin to a junkie - IMO DirecTV would run the risk of losing a significant % of its customer base if the cable companies got their hands on Sunday Ticket, which is why DirecTV pays more to the NFL ($700 million) for Sunday Ticket exclusivity through 2010 than CBS does for AFC broadcast rights through 2011 ($622.5 million) and almost as much as Fox does ($712.5 million) for NFC rights through 2011. DirecTV was paying about $100 million less than Fox and CBS under the old contract.

The same principle is at work with ESPN/ABC paying through the nose for a Monday night package for 8 years ($1.1 billlion) that clearly takes a back seat to the quality of the Sunday night games for which NBC is paying $600 million for 6 years through 2011. ABC is no longer even in the rotation to broadcast the Super Bowl, but did not want a Fox Sports network or the rumored sports network Comcast was allegedly planning to be anchored by Monday night NFL broadcasts.

It is good to be the TV sports rights king.

83-Steelers-43
10-13-2007, 10:31 AM
Sucks to be him. Kind of extreme though. A few fries short of a happy meal it seems. I have no problem with Comcast. I am a satisfied customer. :smile:

Stlrs4Life
10-13-2007, 11:24 AM
She was dumb to switch to CommunistCast in the first place. I switched to Verizon Wireless and Direct TV and it is way better. We have Verizons version of Triple Play. And it is way cheaper than CommunistCast.

HometownGal
10-13-2007, 04:44 PM
OMG - that woman should be put up on a pedestal! :thumbsup:

I went through living HELL with Verizon about a month ago and used over 500 of my phone minutes trying to get a problem resolved. I was constantly disconnected, then when I called back screaming, I was re-routed to Ishkabibbles who didn't speaka de English in India and not a one of them knew what the hell they were doing!!! I was livid to say the least. If I could have reached through my telephone to strangle them I would have done it in a heartbeat. Do you know who came over to my house and fixed the problems that Verizon couldn't solve? X-Terminator that's who. I'll be calling them again on Monday - I just got another bill from them this weekend charging me for 2 months of dial-up service which they told me was FREE but the bottom line is - I don't need it!!! This freakin' outsourcing is ridiculous when there are so many Americans without jobs who want to work.

You tell 'em granny!

Now - where did I leave my hammer? :mallet:

Hines0wnz
10-13-2007, 11:16 PM
I cut my dependency on cable in '01. I have had DirecTV ever since and had zero issues with it. I do have Comcast cable internet but after a semi-bumpy start with that its been good. You cannot pay me to go back to cable for TV or movies though.

GBMelBlount
10-14-2007, 09:36 AM
Go Granny Go!!! :jammin:

I really can't stand Comcast - not only do they rape you every month with their ridiculous prices, they have some of the worst customer service in the world when it comes to scheduling appointments. You'd think with all of the money they pick out of my wallet every month, they'd hire people who'd at least be reasonably competent. I really hope Verizon rolls out FiOS TV sometime in the next year, so I can finally have a choice since I can't have satellite in my apartment...though I'm not particularly thrilled at the thought of dealing with them either. At least when I call Comcast, I talk to an English-speaking American.

I've had experiences as bad as Godfather and I remembered your earlier post on Verizon Fios TV. With Comcast triple play and our 2 line unlimited calling to U.S. & Canada, it would increase our bill by $90/mo. to get away from Comcast. So I have been calling Verizon every month or so. They are telling me I should have fios in our area in the next few months. Can't Wait!!!!!

revefsreleets
10-15-2007, 06:45 PM
Everyone seems to have nightmares with all different carriers. My original point was that Time Warner is not a bad company. The employees seem fairly happy (they just won a "Best place to work in NEO" award here), and they do a lot of stuff in the community. I rarely have problems with them, and I can't get the same service through dish/phone anywhere near as cheap as I get it through TWC.

Hammer67
10-15-2007, 08:22 PM
The only issue I have heard about Time Warner is that they go the HD-lite route...but, I never dealt with them. I have had Comcast (pain in the ass support but decent quality HD channels) and Charter (royally sucky service and terribly compressed HD channels). DirecTV was a nightmare to get installed where I live (they farm out installs to local independent companies) but the service since and channel selection are unparalleled, especially now that they have moved to MPEG-4.

revefsreleets
10-15-2007, 08:30 PM
I'll give you an example of TWC responding to HD needs. I live in Cleveland, and they knew that TBS was carrying the Indians games and TBS has an HD feed. TWC picked up TBS HD right before the series started. If I would had to have watched these games in SD I'd have been pissed.

Godfather
10-16-2007, 10:38 AM
I've had experiences as bad as Godfather and I remembered your earlier post on Verizon Fios TV. With Comcast triple play and our 2 line unlimited calling to U.S. & Canada, it would increase our bill by $90/mo. to get away from Comcast. So I have been calling Verizon every month or so. They are telling me I should have fios in our area in the next few months. Can't Wait!!!!!

I took that off a friend's blog.

Just want to make sure nobody think's I'm an Ole Miss fan :wink02: