PDA

View Full Version : Davenport is getting arrested

jjpro11
10-11-2007, 07:30 PM
:banging::banging::banging::dang::dang::dang: ****ing cleveland.

http://www.myfoxcleveland.com/myfox/pages/Sports/Detail?contentId=4614772&version=1&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=6.1.1

Steeler RB Charged for Domestic Incident in Cleveland
Last Edited: Thursday, 11 Oct 2007, 8:09 PM EDT
Created: Thursday, 11 Oct 2007, 8:09 PM EDT
Pittsburgh Steelers running back Najeh Davenport has been charged with domestic violence, endangering children and unlawful restraint.
SideBar

Related Items
Stories
Contact Fox 8
Links
Pittsburgh Steelers Website

After investigating an early October domestic incident involving 29-year-old Najeh Davenport, the Cleveland Police department announced today that charges have been brought against the Pittsburgh Steeler's running back.

According to Cleveland Police Lt. Thomas Stacho, Davenport has been charged with domestic violence, endangering children and unlawful restraint.

Davenport is not currently in custody and will be given a chance to surrender to police on the charges.

On Thursday, October 4th, at 8:52 p.m., Cleveland Police investigated a report of a domestic dispute at 1374 E.115 Street.

According to Stacho, the incident involved Davenport and the mother of his 5-year old child, Anita Person, 27, of Cleveland.

The dispute resulted from a custody matter involving Davenport's and Person's child.

Cleveland Police received three 9-1-1 calls between 8:45 p.m. and 9:02 p.m. from individuals at the house where the incident took place.

No arrests were initially made as officers were unable to determine the primary physical aggressor in the dispute.

If convicted Davenport could face more than 1 year in jail, 6 months for domestic violence, 6 months for endangering children and 60 days for unlawful restraint.

fansince'76
10-11-2007, 07:35 PM
Wonderful. :banging:

stillers4me
10-11-2007, 07:36 PM
great.........just great.

jjpro11
10-11-2007, 07:38 PM
we just talked briefly about domestic violence in my criminal justice class... i dont know how the officers would let him go if there was any physical evidence of abuse. they just dont do that.. even if its just a minor scratch or bruise now a week later they decide to press charges? c'mon now. this sounds like a publicity gag and even better since he is a steeler. if the officers felt she was in physical danger of him, they would have taken him in immediately.. again, this just sounds weird.

verks36
10-11-2007, 07:39 PM
this is terrible when players have time on there hands they do this kind of stufff

GBMelBlount
10-11-2007, 07:52 PM
this is terrible when players have time on there hands they do this kind of stufff

Let's hope it works out.

The Duke
10-11-2007, 07:52 PM
:dang: this is just great.... but well, if he's really guilty he deserves it.

Dynasty
10-11-2007, 07:57 PM
It all seems very, very suspicious to me. If there was really something, then he would have been taken away a while ago. To bring it up now doesn't seem quite right. I hope Najeh has a damn good lawyer...

I'm very interested to see what the FO's take on this incident is.

jjpro11
10-11-2007, 07:58 PM
:dang: this is just great.... but well, if he's really guilty he deserves it.

yes he does.. but its odd that the lady on the 9-1-1 call was saying he was punching her repeatedly, yet the police found no justifiable reason to arrest him either davenport punches worse than a female with a 240 lbs frame, or the lady on the phone was full of shit.

heres the 9-1-1 calls again.
http://kdka.com/topstories/local_story_278143230.html

Borski
10-11-2007, 07:59 PM
Its not very clear as to what happened, if he was violent towards his family then he deserves it. But as of now and the way the article is written, I am a little skeptical...

Atlanta Dan
10-11-2007, 08:07 PM

The incident was last week before the bye so it is hard to see how this would not have occurred unless Davenport is locked up after practice. He needs to get the lawyer who represented Santonio last year and start writing checks.

If he did it he should do time and be suspended - if this was a Bengal we would be all over Davenport on this. Just because NFL players have $$ does not mean they have s**t for sense.

The Duke
10-11-2007, 08:11 PM
yes he does.. but its odd that the lady on the 9-1-1 call was saying he was punching her repeatedly, yet the police found no justifiable reason to arrest him either davenport punches worse than a female with a 240 lbs frame, or the lady on the phone was full of shit.

heres the 9-1-1 calls again.
http://kdka.com/topstories/local_story_278143230.html

yes, this case is really weird. hopefully it solves itself in a fair way

revefsreleets
10-11-2007, 08:15 PM
There is nothing here. As someone correctly pointed out, if there was the SLIGHTEST bit of evidence that a 240 lb. man touched a woman, he'd have been jailed. This is now a matter of money. The woman hired an attorney on contingency, and that lawyer put as much pressure as he could on the police department. It's all about the money now. Davenport will be fine, but his wallet will be a lot lighter when this is all over.

jjpro11
10-11-2007, 08:19 PM
There is nothing here. As someone correctly pointed out, if there was the SLIGHTEST bit of evidence that a 240 lb. man touched a woman, he'd have been jailed. This is now a matter of money. The woman hired an attorney on contingency, and that lawyer put as much pressure as he could on the police department. It's all about the money now. Davenport will be fine, but his wallet will be a lot lighter when this is all over.

i know the law in ohio says that police must determine the aggressor to make an arrest.. but they are generally going to side with the woman if they feel there was a mutual altercation and take the larger threat away.. usually the 240 lbs man accused of punching the woman. nothing is really adding up from what i have read and heard that would lead to an arrest.

Atlanta Dan
10-11-2007, 08:29 PM
It appears it was turned over to the city prosecutor to figure out what to do since, according to last week's P-G story, the cops could not figure out who to arrest.

http://post-gazette.com/pg/07278/823185-100.stm

My guess is prosecutors are a least a little gun shy about automatically believing the woman in an assault case after the Duke lacrosse fiasco, so there may be something here. A third party witness named Deborah Gadsen in this linked video could be trouble for Davenport.

.http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/news/14279897/detail.html

tony hipchest
10-11-2007, 08:45 PM
:tt02: "beat this rap!!!.... beat this rap!!!" :tt02

nice to see tomlin have all ducks in a row and practice russell a little extra during this bye (when most players are used to having idle time off.)

for what its worth, tomlin has already gotten behind najeh and said he thinks its just one of those "life" issues. tomlin only has najehs word to go on.

if she dont drop the charges i assume her lawyers will spin that she was fearful that he was drunk when he showed up for his scheduled visit, and his lawyers will paint her out to be a disgruntled, unfit parent, who wanted to goad davenport into this exact type of incident.

in the end, its the child who suffers.

i think shes pulling the "heinz field hop [on pop]".

MasterOfPuppets
10-11-2007, 08:51 PM
he shoulda just took a dump in her closet....:shake01:

Atlanta Dan
10-11-2007, 08:53 PM
:tt02: "beat this rap!!!.... beat this rap!!!" :tt02

nice to see tomlin have all ducks in a row and practice russell a little extra during this bye (when most players are used to having idle time off.)

for what its worth, tomlin has already gotten behind najeh and said he thinks its just one of those "life" issues. tomlin only has najehs word to go on.

if she dont drop the charges i assume her lawyers will spin that she was fearful that he was drunk when he showed up for his scheduled visit, and his lawyers will paint her out to be a disgruntled, unfit parent, who wanted to goad davenport into this exact type of incident.

in the end, its the child who suffers.

i think shes pulling the "heinz field hop [on pop]".

Some of the third party witnesses presumably are friends and neighbors of the mother so breaking down their stories (and priors) will be the key - it is what went down on the street with lots of witnesses that presumably is the basis for the charges

Not a funny situation, but Davenport allegedly telling the mother "that's why I won't tell you where i live" was a nice touch as Davenport hides out by playing pro ball.
Presumably some prior candid discussions on support payments have occurred and no doubt have been recurring over the last week.

tony hipchest
10-11-2007, 08:56 PM
he shoulda just took a dump in her closet....:shake01:i dont know.

nothing says "i came...i saw... i conquered" like taking a crap on somebodys front lawn :poop:

:hunch:

(the lawyers can use the lack of fecal evidence as proof that he was not intoxicated)

MasterOfPuppets
10-11-2007, 09:15 PM
i dont know.

nothing says "i came...i saw... i conquered" like taking a crap on somebodys front lawn :poop:

:hunch:

(the lawyers can use the lack of fecal evidence as proof that he was not intoxicated)and nothin says "screw you" like flinging a stink pickle at someones head....:thumbsup:

Stlrs4Life
10-11-2007, 09:18 PM
The incident was last week before the bye so it is hard to see how this would not have occurred unless Davenport is locked up after practice. He needs to get the lawyer who represented Santonio last year and start writing checks.

If he did it he should do time and be suspended - if this was a Bengal we would be all over Davenport on this. Just because NFL players have $$ does not mean they have s**t for sense.

Exactly. I too want to see how Tomlin and the front office deal with this. I think they need to set the example. Sorry Najeh.

83-Steelers-43
10-11-2007, 09:21 PM
If the man is guilty, cut him and move on. Going by his past history, I wouldn't be shocked to find out that he is guilty. Up to this point though, this situation continues to seem a little foggy if you aske me.

Crushzilla
10-11-2007, 09:24 PM
I had heard that Tomlin took a day out of this week's practice to work some of the young guys, like Gary Russell.

Looks like there was a reason for this...

MasterOfPuppets
10-11-2007, 09:26 PM
If the man is guilty, cut him and move on. Going by his past history, I wouldn't be shocked if he is guilty. Up to this point though, this situation continues to seem a little foggy if you aske me.
sheesh...the man drops one steamer outside of the proper facilitys, and now he's guilty of every accusation...:shake01:

83-Steelers-43
10-11-2007, 09:27 PM
sheesh...the man drops one steamer outside of the proper facilitys, and now he's guilty of every accusation...:shake01:

That's why I said "If the man is guilty". Ifffffffffffffffffffffffffffff. I'm giving him more than some are on here.

Atlanta Dan
10-11-2007, 09:28 PM

Not that this ever makes it to trial, but it would be entertaining to see how the prosecutor would manage to work Najeh's prior misconduct into the cross-examination

The Duke
10-11-2007, 09:29 PM
I had heard that Tomlin took a day out of this week's practice to work some of the young guys, like Gary Russell.

good catch

MasterOfPuppets
10-11-2007, 09:30 PM
That's why I said "If the man is guilty". Ifffffffffffffffffffffffffffff. I'm giving him more than some are on here.

Going by his past history, I wouldn't be shocked to find out that he is guilty lol have a little faith in dookie....

ps... i was just joking...:wink02:

Atlanta Dan
10-11-2007, 09:31 PM

Since Goodell does not wait for convictions any more to suspend, kicking this can down the road until the offseason may not be an option.

tony hipchest
10-11-2007, 09:38 PM
:toofunny:

i nominate "Steamer McStinkPickle" as najehs new official nickname!

jjpro11
10-11-2007, 09:39 PM
Since Goodell does not wait for convictions any more to suspend, kicking this can down the road until the offseason may not be an option.

yeah.. i really wouldnt be surprised to see him forced to sit out a couple games because of goodell. but fair is fair, he has suspended other guys for their actions and dookie may just be next. gary russell better start getting his uniform fit, because he will probably see the field sooner than later.

MasterOfPuppets
10-11-2007, 09:40 PM

i nominate "Steamer McStinkPickle" as najehs new official nickname!:sofunny:......:thumbsup:

tony hipchest
10-11-2007, 09:42 PM
:sofunny:......:thumbsup:lol.

oh wait. that name is already taken by the steelers new mascot...

Crushzilla
10-11-2007, 09:44 PM
Poop Dutchinson?

delhess
10-11-2007, 09:58 PM
maybe i'm old fashioned, but i got 2 boys myself, and it just seems really sad. if the parents act like they are in middle school, how are the kids gonna turn out any better?

Atlanta Dan
10-11-2007, 10:16 PM
maybe i'm old fashioned, but i got 2 boys myself, and it just seems really sad. if the parents act like they are in middle school, how are the kids gonna turn out any better?

With regard to those poor kids being impacted by being born out of wedlock and then ping-ponged back & forth in custody disputes, I am afraid that cake was baked long before last week.

I think Roger Goodell and i both think the less we learn about how many players spend their time outside the lines the better.

ShutDown24
10-11-2007, 10:32 PM
What a dissapointment.

Haiku_Dirtt
10-11-2007, 11:05 PM

For all we know he was trying to visit his boy.

I wouldn't say the woman involved could be looking for a payout. Well yes I am. The point made earlier that police would have jailed him on the spot if there were physical evidence raises enormous doubt.

Memo to All Steelers: STAY OUT OF OHIO unless you are with the team.

Preacher
10-11-2007, 11:10 PM

DING DING DING

You are absolutely right. The league should step in and give him AT LEAST a four game suspension. This is AT LEAST as serious as roid use. However, in this type of situation, which is not as cut and dried and VIck and the dogfighting... I also would like the league to wait until there is a conviction.

However, conviction here MUST equal a suspension.... by the Steelers if not the league.

And at THIS point... if the police are prosecuting, I would suspect that he is guilty.

klick81
10-12-2007, 12:44 AM
This sounds shady. But dammit Najeh...

klick81
10-12-2007, 12:45 AM
if the police are prosecuting, I would suspect that he is guilty.

What ever happened to innocent until proven guilty?

bratsinmybelly
10-12-2007, 12:48 AM

i nominate "Steamer McStinkPickle" as najehs new official nickname!

Or: "The Heinz Field Hunker"

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Preacher
10-12-2007, 01:02 AM
What ever happened to innocent until proven guilty?

Um.... that would be found in the first part of my post...

I also would like the league to wait until there is a conviction.

Edman
10-12-2007, 01:46 AM
Police always take the woman's side of the story first in this one. It's just the way it goes.

Dookie innocent until proven guilty. Proven guilty, I'll treat him like Bengal scum.

Galax Steeler
10-12-2007, 03:45 AM
I think we need to give davenport the bennefit of the dought we don't know what happend so I am behind him 100% until I find out otherwise.

Michael Keller
10-12-2007, 04:44 AM
The way this article is written the woman may have been the aggressor. Davensport needs to watch his back.

Michael

Steel Pit
10-12-2007, 05:20 AM
Police always take the woman's side of the story first in this one. It's just the way it goes.

Dookie innocent until proven guilty. Proven guilty, I'll treat him like Bengal scum.

Personally the Police don't give a $hit either way. It's the tough domestic violence laws that ORDER Police Officers to 1. Identify the "Primary Physical Aggressor" and
2. Arrest and incarcerate the primary physical aggressor.

Now in 99.9% of male versus female physical confrontations, I think that any numb skull is capable of identifying the primary physical aggressor so therefore it's not a case of the police taking the womans side of the story.

Don't hate on the police for taking action. Hate yourself for your actions that invited the police.

Steel Pit
10-12-2007, 05:25 AM
That's pretty much the way the system is set up.

Anyway, he can probably go there and get out on bail over the weekend, and they'll set the trial fror March or something like that. Call me ****ed up, but now you can really say "the bye week couldn't have come at a better time."

In Ohio there's no bail for a Domestic violence charge. You must be incarcerated until you see the Judge.

GeneralRobinson
10-12-2007, 05:40 AM
In Ohio there's no bail for a Domestic violence charge. You must be incarcerated until you see the Judge.

Are you saying he can't be released on bail prior to arraignment or he can't post bail until there is a conviction or acquittal?

Steel Pit
10-12-2007, 05:47 AM
For all we know he was trying to visit his boy.

I wouldn't say the woman involved could be looking for a payout. Well yes I am. The point made earlier that police would have jailed him on the spot if there were physical evidence raises enormous doubt.

Memo to All Steelers: STAY OUT OF OHIO unless you are with the team.

And Steelers players PLEASE! Stay away from your baby momma. You obviously have had some type of problem with these women so just stay clear of them.

Atlanta Dan
10-12-2007, 07:08 AM
And at THIS point... if the police are prosecuting, I would suspect that he is guilty.

I assume local prosecutors have learned their lesson from the Duke lacrosse fiasco, but Durham DA Mike Nifong is Exhibit A for how that ain't necessarily so.

We are dealing with local law enforcement here rather than the U.S. Justice Dept. A Team, but with the evidence havig been assessed for a week, my guess is the third party witnesses backed up the mother. In addition, we do know Najeh has experienced issues in how to work through relationship disputes in a socially acceptable manner in the past.

My guess is 4 games on the pine.

klick81
10-12-2007, 09:36 AM
IF convicted, it's safe to assume he's cut from the team huh?

RoethlisBURGHer
10-12-2007, 10:06 AM
I think this is a big steaming pile of bullcrap.

How the hell do you not notice her injuries until the next day? Because there were none, she let a friend rough her up afterwards so she can go after even more of his paycheck so she can get her nails done, hair extensions, and Gucci purses and shoes.

In Lorain County (where I live and work) I know most women don't use their child support money on their kids. They don't use it on household bills, rent, or any of that stuff. I don't know how many women come into the gas station I work at and use their child support card (in Lorain County child support goes on a prepayed debit card) to buy alcohol and cigarettes.

My one friend works at a beauty salon at the local mall and so many women pay for their nails, hair, and other stuff with thier child support card. I mean these women max out their cards on that stuff once a month because it ain't their money.

These are the same women that say their kids need clothes, shoes, school supplies and they don't get enough in child support to cover that stuff.

I expect the charges to be dropped. Of course the neighbor is sticking up for his ex. They are friends, she's gonna have her friend's back on this.

Steeldude
10-12-2007, 10:09 AM
if he is found guilty then cut him.

Atlanta Dan
10-12-2007, 10:36 AM
IF convicted, it's safe to assume he's cut from the team huh?

We shall see - will be interested to see how Tomlin reacts to this.

Interesting to re-read this linked story earlier this week

"As I'm driving off, she ran and jumped in the car, holding onto my 2-year-old son in the car seat driving down the street," he said. "She was trying to get my oldest son out of the car. To get me to stop the car, she put her knee to my 2-year-old son's chest. He started crying, that's when I stopped, got out of the car and went around the corner.

"I ran around the car and she pulled my other son out. When I got my son and started grabbing him, she took off running screaming."

Davenport then said he returned to Person's home and called the police twice. He said after waiting approximately 20 minutes, he drove back to the spot where Person was and an incident occurred.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07281/823773-66.stm

The bit about returning to the house, calling the cops, waiting 20 minutes then returning to "the spot where Person was" at which time "an incident occurred" is oddly written.

So Davenport goes back to the house while Person stays in the street and 20 minutes later he goies back to where she is and they mix it up some more?

Next time don't talk to the press without having a lawyer editing your statements.

BlastFurnace
10-12-2007, 10:46 AM
Well...if convicted, let's see what Gary Russell has.

Please Tomlin....no Carey Davis!

Steel Pit
10-12-2007, 01:42 PM
Are you saying he can't be released on bail prior to arraignment or he can't post bail until there is a conviction or acquittal?

He can't post bail prior to arraignment. This is why it would be a mistake if Davenport decided to turn himself in this weekend. If he does then he will most-likely spend the entire weekend in jail and if he's lucky, he'll see the judge on Monday morning. Turn yourself in Monday morning Najeh.

Edman
10-12-2007, 02:03 PM
Personally the Police don't give a $hit either way. It's the tough domestic violence laws that ORDER Police Officers to 1. Identify the "Primary Physical Aggressor" and
2. Arrest and incarcerate the primary physical aggressor.

Now in 99.9% of male versus female physical confrontations, I think that any numb skull is capable of identifying the primary physical aggressor so therefore it's not a case of the police taking the womans side of the story.

Don't hate on the police for taking action. Hate yourself for your actions that invited the police.

The police must be pretty big numbskulls, then. They didn't "notice" Person's marks until now. In most DV cases, if one mark is seen on a female, the aggressor(the man) is arrested on the spot.

How come the police didn't arrest Najeh then? Instead of now? If the laws are so damn tough? If it were so increasingly obvious he whooped on her, the police would've noticed it when they were called there. That's fishy to me.

Until Najeh is found guilty, this reeks of yet another "baby momma extortion of a pro athlete father" case.

Atlanta Dan
10-12-2007, 02:13 PM
The police must be pretty big numbskulls, then. They didn't "notice" Person's marks until now. In most DV cases, if one mark is seen on a female, the aggressor(the man) is arrested on the spot.

How come the police didn't arrest Najeh then? Instead of now? If the laws are so damn tough? If it were so increasingly obvious he whooped on her, the police would've noticed it when they were called there. That's fishy to me.

Until Najeh is found guilty, this reeks of yet another "baby momma extortion of a pro athlete father" case.

I have no clue what happened, but there apparently are several witnesses to the incident other than Najeh & the accuser. And the timeline for his version of the story has some odd gaps in it.

With this guy's history of deviant behavior I would not bet anything significant on his innocence here.

alittlejazzbird
10-12-2007, 02:18 PM
I went back and looked at KDKA's initial report on this story, back when the incident first happened:

(KDKA) PITTSBURGH Cleveland police investigating a domestic dispute involving a Pittsburgh Steeler have released 911 tapes from three people ? including one from a witness who described a man punching a woman.

According to police, an apparent custody dispute led to an altercation between Steelers Running Back Najeh Davenport and the mother of his 5-year-old son, Anita Person, last night in Ohio.

A woman who asked not to be identified told emergency dispatchers about "a situation" in which a woman and "her baby's father" were arguing. "He was just punching all on her and she was screaming, 'help.'"

The anonymous caller went on to say that the man "keeps circling around the block."

Davenport, however, denied the claims that he hit Person -- telling a Cleveland television station that he never touched the woman.

He says the trouble started when he went to pick up his son for a custody visit. He says he had court paperwork stating that he could pick up his son for visitation; but Person grabbed the little boy out of his moving vehicle and took off.

"I got a court order to pick up my son," Davenport told a 911 operator, "and when I came to pick him up, she said I had to take him as is ? with no clothes. And it's in the order that she has to provide clothes for him."

"When I left," Davenport added, "when I was pulling out with my sons in my car. She jumped in my car to take him back.. out of a moving car!"

Police did not arrest anyone involved in the incident. In a statement, Cleveland police said: Officers responding to the scene of the dispute gathered information from both parties to the dispute as well as witnesses. No arrests were made as investigating officers were unable to determine a primary physical aggressor in the dispute.

The parties involved, however, could still pursue charges against each other.

We can all be grateful at least that it was over a custody dispute, something lots of exes go through, and not your more garden-variety drunken-NFL-player-beating-up-his-wife/girlfriend/mother of two of his seven kids kind of thing, or the ever-popular fight at a strip club. Everybody wanting to remain anonymous in the story is definitely suspicious, and leads me to believe that they are relatives and/or friends of the woman.

But if he's telling the truth, then for crying out loud, Najeh....you make millions of dollars - could you have stopped at Target and bought the kid some clothes?????

If he's really guilty of the charges, then of course he deserves whatever punishment he receives. Some parts of it seem pretty fishy though, especially considering that Najeh himself called 911; I can't see why you'd do that if you had something to hide. There has to be more to this story.

SteelerFanInCA
10-12-2007, 03:28 PM
I'm trying to figure out what kind of person this lady is. Come on, she did not want to give her kid any clothes other than what he had on? She is not playing with a full deck. At the least you would think she would want her child properply clothed. What kind of mom does that crap? At that point she needed to set her indifferences a side and worry about the kid. Simply amazing.:dang:

I agree that something smells fishy with this story.

Edman
10-12-2007, 04:38 PM
One thing is reliving. Nobody on the Steelers has said anything... yet IIRC.

revefsreleets
10-12-2007, 05:03 PM
This is about money. And I don't doubt for a single second that a woman would hit herself or have someone hit her to make a case where there wasn't one. I'm not defending Davenport because he's a man, or because he's a Steeler, I just think that it doesn't take Sherlock Holmes to see that something is rotten in Denmark here.

Preacher
10-12-2007, 05:29 PM
There are usually three sides to every story...

His...
Hers....

and the truth.

Do I completely believe him? No
Her? No

But there is one thing that we can learn here. Najeh is a very dumb man in the moment.

You are an NFL player. Go pick up your child. At the MOMENT of trouble. THE MOMENT....

Retreat. Get back into your car, lock the doors... dial 911. Before the yelling, before the screaming, before anything else.

If it were me it would go something like this.

Ding dong... I am here to pick up my son.
"You can have him, but you ain;t getting his close."
ME, "OK, I will be back in a few." Go, get in the car, dial 911.

Your in the NFL. Don't screw around with this stuff. Your an easy target... Don't make it easier...

Big D
10-12-2007, 05:50 PM
If the man is guilty, cut him and move on. Going by his past history, I wouldn't be shocked to find out that he is guilty. Up to this point though, this situation continues to seem a little foggy if you aske me.

I really agree with you. I think tomlin has to cut dookie just to prove that behavior like this wont be tolerated. We dont want to be the bengals

Borski
10-12-2007, 06:01 PM
I really agree with you. I think tomlin has to cut dookie just to prove that behavior like this wont be tolerated. We dont want to be the bengals

You cant do that unless its proven he did it, it is completely unfair for anyone to judge before that facts are released and the judgment is handed down. If he is proven guilty then the second that happens, cut him.

revefsreleets
10-12-2007, 06:41 PM
There are usually three sides to every story...

His...
Hers....

and the truth.

Do I completely believe him? No
Her? No

But there is one thing that we can learn here. Najeh is a very dumb man in the moment.

You are an NFL player. Go pick up your child. At the MOMENT of trouble. THE MOMENT....

Retreat. Get back into your car, lock the doors... dial 911. Before the yelling, before the screaming, before anything else.

If it were me it would go something like this.

Ding dong... I am here to pick up my son.
"You can have him, but you ain;t getting his close."
ME, "OK, I will be back in a few." Go, get in the car, dial 911.

Your in the NFL. Don't screw around with this stuff. Your an easy target... Don't make it easier...

Good points all, but I'll do ya one better. Davenport should just send a car.

Preacher
10-12-2007, 11:13 PM
You cant do that unless its proven he did it, it is completely unfair for anyone to judge before that facts are released and the judgment is handed down. If he is proven guilty then the second that happens, cut him.

Actually... it happens all the time.

Half the nation judges one political party, the other half the other, before either EVER have the facts.

Personally... I am ticked at the incident... because I thought we JUST found our second back... now we gotta go find another.

Edman
10-12-2007, 11:20 PM
We do? Based on what? Unless somehow you have the inside scoop on what is happening.

jjpro11
10-13-2007, 01:35 AM
Actually... it happens all the time.

Half the nation judges one political party, the other half the other, before either EVER have the facts.

Personally... I am ticked at the incident... because I thought we JUST found our second back... now we gotta go find another.

none of us even knows what actually happened... lets not jump the gun here. theres a long history of women like her that tried to get as much money as they could from their professional athlete ex boyfriends or whatever. this could very well be another.

MasterOfPuppets
10-13-2007, 02:38 PM
anyone, at anytime, can go file charges against anybody , without any witnesses , on thier word alone !i know because it happend to me ! an ex girlfriends, ex boyfriend, claimed that i threatend him with a baseball bat. while it was true i did have a louisville slugger in my possession, i never said one word to him. and i never came within 15 ft of him. the moron overlooked the fact that there were 3 people who were present at the time, and when he found out i had witnesses, and was planning a harrasment lawsuit he dropped the charges.there's no law against owning a bat. anyhow, just because this buttmunch accused me, falsely or not, i was still finger printed and givin a court date with 5 charges pending!

RoethlisBURGHer
10-14-2007, 09:19 AM
anyone, at anytime, can go file charges against anybody , without any witnesses , on thier word alone !i know because it happend to me ! an ex girlfriends, ex boyfriend, claimed that i threatend him with a baseball bat. while it was true i did have a louisville slugger in my possession, i never said one word to him. and i never came within 15 ft of him. the moron overlooked the fact that there were 3 people who were present at the time, and when he found out i had witnesses, and was planning a harrasment lawsuit he dropped the charges.there's no law against owning a bat. anyhow, just because this buttmunch accused me, falsely or not, i was still finger printed and givin a court date with 5 charges pending!

Dude, it's some bullsh*t ain't it.

Twice I have been charged with domestic violence by an ex-girlfriend of mine. Funny thing, the eye witness to both accounts were their new boyfriends. What kind of boyfriend doesn't kick the ass of the guy supposedly beating his girlfriend? Either a giant ***** (aka Bengals fan) or it's a lie.

rbryan
10-14-2007, 09:34 AM
No one here will ever know for sure what happened. Maybe she is a scorned woman looking for a payday, maybe he's a douchebag that hits women. All I know is that there are 52 other players on the team that all have wives or girlfriends that haven't been arrested this year. Where theres smoke there's usually fire. Like someone said earlier if this was a Bengal player most here would be all over this. But since he's a Steeler surely he couldn't have been guilty of what he is accused of?? He did go to UM.

lamberts-lost-tooth
10-14-2007, 09:47 AM
What most people dont realize is that custody issues in most states are civil matters and not criminal matters...

So, if Najeh has had problems with custodial issues in the past..he KNOWS that the most that is going to happen is that an officer will show up and take a report that Najeh is to present to a judge to show non-compliance of whatever court agreement the mother and father worked out.

In a nutshell, if the mother in this case even went so far as to deny Najeh his court issued visitation or shared custody...an officer will not force her to do anything. He can make a recomendation to the mother and he can file a report...nothing else.

Most of the Domestic Custodial calls we get are from parties who are finally FED UP with the other party being non-compliant ...and the court/legal system failing them. In a moment of emotion at not seeing their child or in a moment of emotion due to harrassment by the second party...they do something stupid, and THEN it becomes a criminal issue.

Atlanta Dan
10-14-2007, 09:48 AM
Dude, it's some bullsh*t ain't it.

Twice I have been charged with domestic violence by an ex-girlfriend of mine. Funny thing, the eye witness to both accounts were their new boyfriends. What kind of boyfriend doesn't kick the ass of the guy supposedly beating his girlfriend? Either a giant ***** (aka Bengals fan) or it's a lie.

Well I guess that settles that. .

Preacher
10-14-2007, 10:20 AM
What most people dont realize is that custody issues in most states are civil matters and not criminal matters...

So, if Najeh has had problems with custodial issues in the past..he KNOWS that the most that is going to happen is that an officer will show up and take a report that Najeh is to present to a judge to show non-compliance of whatever court agreement the mother and father worked out.

In a nutshell, if the mother in this case even went so far as to deny Najeh his court issued visitation or shared custody...an officer will not force her to do anything. He can make a recomendation to the mother and he can file a report...nothing else.

Most of the Domestic Custodial calls we get are from parties who are finally FED UP with the other party being non-compliant ...and the court/legal system failing them. In a moment of emotion at not seeing their child or in a moment of emotion due to harrassment by the second party...they do something stupid, and THEN it becomes a criminal issue.

But when the police come, they now can be a witness to what is happening... instead of Najeh taking it upon himself. If it doesn't work, then take it back to court. He has the money for the lawyers.

Sorry guys (and gals), While I want him to be completely innocent... He is at the very least guilty of being quite stupid on this one.... possibly much more.

stillers4me
10-14-2007, 11:00 AM
I'm withholding judgement, just like I did with Santonio. I believe that was all about the money.

My ex-husband and two ex boyfriends all had domestic abuse charges brought against them by women they were in relationships with after me. None of them ever laid a hand on me in violence nor was I ever afraid they would. I would not get involved with, or have my son around men like that. I know in my heart that all three were innocent. Yeah.....it happens.

But if he is guilty, he should pay the price. And I'll support whatever the Rooneys decide to do with him.

lamberts-lost-tooth
10-14-2007, 11:03 AM
But when the police come, they now can be a witness to what is happening... instead of Najeh taking it upon himself. If it doesn't work, then take it back to court. He has the money for the lawyers.

Sorry guys (and gals), While I want him to be completely innocent... He is at the very least guilty of being quite stupid on this one.... possibly much more.

Agreed.
I was giving the possible "emotional state" that causes Domestic Custodial situations...I dont condone ANYONE being stupid enough to cross the line that will get them into trouble with the Po-Po.

redst3
10-14-2007, 11:36 AM
How do we know he did it? Dont forget Fred Lane, the poor guy who was murdered. He played for the Panthers and initial reports had him cast as a wife beater. Only after his wife killed him did we learn he was a victim. Innocent until proven guilty.

stillers4me
10-14-2007, 11:42 AM
How do we know he did it? Dont forget Fred Lane, the poor guy who was murdered. He played for the Panthers and initial reports had him cast as a wife beater. Only after his wife killed him did we learn he was a victim. Innocent until proven guilty.

Unless they wear Bengal stripes......:sofunny:

Preacher
10-14-2007, 12:07 PM
Unless they wear Bengal stripes......:sofunny:

Yep!!!

The stripes give it away!!

Steel Pit
10-15-2007, 05:29 AM

There's a very logical answer to your question. Do you bruise immediately? I've been hit/struck many times in my life and sometimes many hours surpass before the bruise is visible. Not to mention that the darker ones complexion is, the less visible the bruise is.

I'll also throw this one out to you. The police were dispatched to the scene so lets not act as if they were cruising around and decided that they wanted to harass Najeh.

While the police were at the scene the injuries may have been slight or non-visible.
Slight enough that the police could have went either way, visible injury or no visible injury. Maybe, just maybe the police decided that they really didn't want to arrest Najeh so they decided to travel the route of, "No visible injury". This along with the lack of a written statement from the victim, will allow police officers to clear the scene without making an arrest. This isn't far fetched, police officers are lazy at times just like everyone else. Maybe they just didn't feel like making an arrest in this incident.

Now if the female shows up the next morning and shows what is now visible bruising and then provides the police with a written statement, then the police have no other option. Najeh must be charged with domestic violence.

Edman
10-15-2007, 09:24 AM
I definately do fault Najeh on one point though, he was stupidly baited. That doesn't excuse him for what he did(If he did it of course).

PalmerSteel
10-15-2007, 09:39 AM
this ones a real stinker. i hope najeh doesnt drop the load on this one. we need him.

jjpro11
10-15-2007, 02:37 PM
this ones a real stinker. i hope najeh doesnt drop the load on this one. we need him.

as long as she doesnt live in a dorm.. i think she'll be fine. :wink02:

GeneralRobinson
10-16-2007, 03:37 PM
Steelers' Davenport Vows To Fight Charges
(KDKA) CLEVELAND Steelers RB Najeh Davenport is free on bond and vowing to fight the misdemeanor charges that have been filed against him.

Cleveland Police filed domestic violence, child endangerment and unlawful restraint charges against the running back last week in connection to a domestic dispute with Anita Person, the mother of his 5-year-old son.

Davenport says he?s the victim and has the scratch marks to prove it. Person claims Davenport assaulted her.

?He did not assault her. The police that responded on scene took photographs ? he wound up being scratched on his face which drew blood,? Patrick D?Angelo, Davenport?s attorney, said.

No one was arrested at the scene, but after further interviews, authorities filed the charges.

Both parties agreed to restraint orders to stay away from each other until their case goes to court. Davenport asked the court to approve visitations with his son, but the judge denied the request.

KDKA?s John Shumway went to Person?s home for comment but no one answered the door.

Davenport?s case has been continued to a higher court where he will have the opportunity to ask the judge to restore his visitation rights.

http://kdka.com/topstories/local_story_288202157.html

klick81
10-16-2007, 04:11 PM
Hope this all goes away with the right person behind bars.

RoethlisBURGHer
10-16-2007, 05:36 PM
I think if she was beat, she would have at least said something to the police at the scene.

steeler dude
10-17-2007, 09:01 AM
this sucks ! im not so sure about this ? seems fishy to me imo

TackleMeBen
10-17-2007, 09:13 AM
well what do you expect from ohio cops. :wink02: things dont add up and hopefully the truth will come out as to what really happen.

SteelerFanInCA
10-17-2007, 11:28 AM
Hopefully something gets worked out soon so he can see his kid at least.

Providence Steel
10-17-2007, 12:31 PM
Looks like this aint gonna be as big a deal as some made it out to be. He is free on $7500 bail till the court date November 10th.

RoethlisBURGHer
10-17-2007, 12:59 PM
well what do you expect from ohio cops. :wink02: things dont add up and hopefully the truth will come out as to what really happen.

Well when the cops can't count, of course things don't add up.

BurghZ0n3
10-17-2007, 02:10 PM
...too bad there's no NFL cops for PATS HC cheating issue....and the latest : Brady's being fined for not strapping his chin, but then again...it's not too serious like Davenport's'. :dang:

xXTheSteelKingsXx
10-17-2007, 06:04 PM
Well when the cops can't count, of course things don't add up.

:sofunny::sofunny: