PDA

View Full Version : Captain America with a gun?

The Duke
10-11-2007, 08:20 PM
So as you may or may not know captain america, an american symbol of freedom and justice since the 40's, was killed off in comic books. now they're creating a "new" captain, with a a gun and everything. yes, you heard right, a gun.
Now I don't know about you, but an american symbol carrying a gun doesn't seem right to me, so I just wanted to know what everyone thinks. :cheers:

here's the story
http://www.newsarama.com/marvelnew/CapAmerica/newdesign.html

http://www.newsarama.com/marvelnew/CapAmerica/CapRoss_t.jpg

Borski
10-11-2007, 08:25 PM
if he's a Super Hero, why would he need a gun?!

tony hipchest
10-11-2007, 08:32 PM
rediculous thing to do to a super-hero icon.

thats why i always liked the Punisher. he wasnt a super hero with super powers. he was just a normal vigilante with a kevlar vest and a kick as arsenal.

so is the hulk, wolverine, and spiderman all gonna start packing heat? :dang:

(nice graphic though)

Crushzilla
10-11-2007, 09:28 PM
if he's a Super Hero, why would he need a gun?!

Dude already died once.... :hunch: seems like a good security option to me.

Is this some new ploy to help unify the nation for the effort? I always thought some of the "magic" of Captain America is that he did die.

MasterOfPuppets
10-11-2007, 09:44 PM
Cap done went and gone ghetto ,packin glocks...:whatnow:

83-Steelers-43
10-11-2007, 09:44 PM
At least give the man two street sweepers to take care of business. Why a little pistol? Bring out the big guns!!!

http://members.shaw.ca/tmcveigh/Projects/GunRights/images/striker.jpg

Crushzilla
10-11-2007, 09:50 PM
I'll be taking bets on which group first cries:

"A superhero named America with a gun. What sort of image of America will this send to the rest of the world."

Place your bets, gents.

tony hipchest
10-11-2007, 09:56 PM
At least give the man two street sweepers to take care of business. Why a little pistol? Bring out the big guns!!!

http://members.shaw.ca/tmcveigh/Projects/GunRights/images/striker.jpg

see, thats what i mean. this is the Punisher's market. while he prefers the double Uzi's, hes pretty handy with a street sweeper.

they should give the Human Torch a flame thrower. oh wait... :dang:

next thing you know Cap'n Crunch will have a gat.

revefsreleets
10-12-2007, 09:28 AM
Since Capt. America never really had any kind of super power, it would have made a lot more sense just to give him one. Giving him a gat seems like a cop out.

Steelerstrength
10-12-2007, 12:10 PM
If you're a superhero, you should always have a gun. Imagine how much funnier it would be if every now and then, Superman just flew off the handle and capped somebody.

On a completely serious note, Superman really is the one superhero that SHOULD have a gun. Some jerkoff is always showing up with a piece of kryptonite and ruining his day. After two or three times, you'd think he'd get sick of that and learn his lesson.

Reminds me of Indiana Jones, where he is confronted by that dude with the sword, so he caps his ass! :bringit:

TroysBadDawg
10-12-2007, 04:10 PM
I still want to know why SUperman would always have bullets bounce off his chest but would duck when they would throw a gun at him. wouldn't it bounce off him too?

Dynasty
10-12-2007, 05:38 PM
I think that dodging when you are getting a large heavy object thrwon at you is a reflex from when he grew up as a normal human boy.

Indy_Steelers
10-13-2007, 06:16 AM
Maybe it is because Americans are one of the very few countries that allow private citizens to carry guns?:hunch:

MasterOfPuppets
10-13-2007, 03:04 PM
Maybe it is because Americans are one of the very few countries that allow private citizens to carry guns?:hunch:
very few??? have you not watched the news? everybody in the middle east totes around an AK47 .

stlrtruck
10-14-2007, 09:13 PM
Only to add my two cents, wasn't Captain America a hero that was made in the form that batman was created in that he truly has no Super human powers but instead uses manmade items for his attack on crime...therefore, the need for the gun is simple - he's not indestructable and wants a little "I'm safer from 50 yards away" tools!!!

Tankus_Maximus
10-14-2007, 10:13 PM
I think that's a newer image depicting Cap in his WWII days, when he was fighting the Razi's with Bucky.

Cap DOES have super powers to a degree, as he was the recipeint of the super-soldier-serum giving him increased strength (not on a Hulk/Thing/Spiderman level, but strong none-the-less) and agility.

Hammer67
10-15-2007, 05:19 PM
very few??? have you not watched the news? everybody in the middle east totes around an AK47 .

LOL! And, apparently you can fire them up in the air at random during marches and protests!!!!! :toofunny:

revefsreleets
10-15-2007, 05:24 PM
He was given a serum, but he was a 98 pound weakling before that. The benefit was that he became a really in-shape human. His only "super" attribute is his indestructable shield.

tony hipchest
10-15-2007, 05:35 PM
He was given a serum, but he was a 98 pound weakling before that. The benefit was that he became a really in-shape human. His only "super" attribute is his indestructable shield.:huh:

Life Immitates Art- The Tom Brady Story

(although he hides behind the indestructible shield that is the NFL emblem. and in the new captain america and the patriots case, im sure they refer to it as the "clear" as opposed to "serum".)

Tankus_Maximus
10-16-2007, 10:00 PM
He was given a serum, but he was a 98 pound weakling before that. The benefit was that he became a really in-shape human. His only "super" attribute is his indestructable shield.

Oh, but it's much more than being "really in-shape". His agility & reflexes are on par with Spider-man & Daredevil (benefiting from the serum), and he is the fore-most expert on hand-to-hand-combat within the Marvel Universe (again heightened reflexes leads to hand-to-hand expert benefiting from the serum).

And the shield is made of vibranium. Which is a composite of adamantium & another alloy that escapes my mind.

steveironcity
10-18-2007, 09:51 PM
So as you may or may not know captain america, an american symbol of freedom and justice since the 40's, was killed off in comic books. now they're creating a "new" captain, with a a gun and everything. yes, you heard right, a gun.
Now I don't know about you, but an american symbol carrying a gun doesn't seem right to me, so I just wanted to know what everyone thinks. :cheers:

here's the story
http://www.newsarama.com/marvelnew/CapAmerica/newdesign.html

http://www.newsarama.com/marvelnew/CapAmerica/CapRoss_t.jpg

The American Marine and Soldier carry guns, and they are worthy symbols of America

MasterOfPuppets
10-18-2007, 10:05 PM
Oh, but it's much more than being "really in-shape". His agility & reflexes are on par with Spider-man & Daredevil (benefiting from the serum), and he is the fore-most expert on hand-to-hand-combat within the Marvel Universe (again heightened reflexes leads to hand-to-hand expert benefiting from the serum).

And the shield is made of vibranium. Which is a composite of adamantium & another alloy that escapes my mind.:jerkit:...... spiderman would kick his ass in a heartbeat....:coffee:

revefsreleets
10-19-2007, 04:25 PM
Actually, now that I think about it, I like the gun and knife. They'll piss the PC'ers off.

Polamalu Princess
10-19-2007, 04:48 PM
I say we send the new Captain America over to Iraq with the REAL heroes!!!!

God bless America!!!

tony hipchest
10-19-2007, 04:53 PM
:jerkit:...... spiderman would kick his ass in a heartbeat....:coffee:

you wanna roll for it? :sofunny:

uh oh. break out the ol' cyberD&D dice! :jerkit: (for the old school gamers who remember "Marvel Super Heroes" ) we got a 1:1 battle!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Actually, now that I think about it, I like the gun and knife. They'll piss the PC'ers off.im starting to think the same. plus a 4 issue guest appearance with the Punisher might be worth the read.

The Duke
01-30-2008, 09:11 PM
so there's a new captain america.........

spoilers if you don't want to know what happens in Captain America #34

Captain America lives again

Captain America is back and he's packing heat.

Less than a year after the legendary star-spangled superhero was killed off in his comic book, his former teenage sidekick is being promoted to fill those big red boots in the latest issue, out Wednesday.

Fans were devastated when Steve Rogers - a 1941 creation of artists Joe Simon and Jack Kirby - was gunned down on the steps of a courthouse last March. It was the industry's biggest shocker since Superman temporarily went up, up and away to the great Fortress of Solitude in the sky in 1992.

Many pundits believed the death of a character draped in the American flag was a thinly veiled political allegory.

"It's an experiment," said Marvel Entertainment editor in chief Joe Quesada. "Every day, every story, I'm ready for backlash."

There's bound to be a backlash when fans see Bucky Barnes, the new Cap, toss the famous shield and whip out a firearm.

"It's a little jarring for some people to see that," said the book's writer, Ed Brubaker. "[But] people forget that Captain America carried a gun a lot in World War II. Every three covers there was a shot of Captain America with a machine gun or a flamethrower - or an atom bomb."

Chris Martens, 23, a student-teacher from Queens, likes the makeover. "I know a lot of people are upset about that, but at the same time, he's a soldier - to think that he hasn't used a gun or he hasn't killed anyone is silly," Martens said.

Some fans still haven't gotten over the shock of seeing one of their all-time favorites get assassinated in a plot hatched by his archnemesis, the Red Skull. "They're icons - leave 'em alone," says Hector Rambla, a 61-year-old Vietnam vet who has been reading Captain America since the '60s.

Quesada admits Rogers, the scrawny kid from the lower East Side who was injected with Super Soldier serum and turned into one of the most recognizable characters in pop culture, may yet return.

After all, Captain America has appeared in an estimated 210 million copies in 75 countries and will be featured in an upcoming movie.

"Ultimately, comics are very democratic," Quesada says. "Fans vote with their dollars."

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/arts/2008/01/28/2008-01-28_captain_america_lives_again.html

I don't know much about this guy other than he was Cap's sidekick, but i'll try to give this a read, seems like a interesting character

still not sure about the gun thing :m16:, but I'll see where it goes