PDA

View Full Version : Madden thinks Steelers should have...

ShutDown24
10-17-2007, 03:32 PM
Mark Madden stated today on his daily show (ESPN Radio 1250) that he thinks the Steelers should have traded they?re second round pick to Miami for Chris Chambers instead of letting the Chargers get him?

While Madden always seems to underrate the team?s receivers, I tend to agree with him here. We could have put someone on the practice squad (Reid) and had Chambers and Holmes on the outside with Ward in the slot? That would have been something else.

I rarely agree with Mark, but actually do here with this. Thoughts?

Lord Stiller
10-17-2007, 03:51 PM
I completely disagree

I actually like Chambers even though he has played really bad and dropped a lot of balls this season and last season. But 3 seasons ago, he looked like one of the best in the league.

With that being said, I think a 2nd round pick is too high. A 3rd maybe. We need these early picks to revamp our weak O-line after the season. Plus, I dont know what his contract is but am guessing that Chambers makes a lot of money.

The deal that happened seemed like a good deal for both the Chargers and the Dolphins.

Once again. Mark Madden is a little crazy and underestimates the Steelers. I thought Reche Caldwell was a decent receiver who the Steelers could have signed for the vet minimum (I think the Redskins signed him)

fansince'76
10-17-2007, 03:53 PM
Nope - I gotta go by what GoFins11 said in another thread (and I figure he knows more about Chambers than we do being a Dolphins fan) - basically, Chambers has had one great year and is very inconsistent. Why give up a 2nd rounder for something we already have in Nate Washington?

Mosca
10-17-2007, 03:55 PM
I think the Seattle game showed that we have actually UNDERESTIMATED the quality of our receivers.

I also think that San Diego's 2nd pick next year will be substantially higher in value than ours will be. We might not have gotten him for our 2nd pick (which will be somewhere around #60 or higher).

Remember that Madden's wrestling background means that he operates from the principle that insight is less important than controversy and rhetoric. He doesn't actually believe ANYTHING, he just says whatever he thinks will make people respond. Positive or negative doesn't matter, all that matters is that they respond. It means they are listening, which means he can sell advertising spots.

Tom

Atlanta Dan
10-17-2007, 04:08 PM
If the Steelers do something, Madden will say they should not have done it

If the Steelers do not do something, Madden will say they should have done it

As Tom says, Mark Madden's job and personal preference is to provoke, not to enlighten

Norv Turner is fighting for his job - Tomlin clearly is not - a #2 pick for Chambers makes sense for the Chargers given their woeful recivers - it does not make sense for a Steelers team that needs that choice for 2008 and beyond

The Duke
10-17-2007, 04:41 PM
Why give up a 2nd rounder for something we already have in Nate Washington?

lol. exactly

Besides not only would a big contract be needed, but the best right now is to work with our young and future receivers

Preacher
10-17-2007, 04:46 PM
What we DON'T need is a second receiver that will never push to be a number 1. We already have one of those in Cedric...

Ward will be gone in a couple of years. We need to pick up a second receiver with a number one pick the year after next.

next year, we need build our next generation of the O line, especially the left side.

cubanstogie
10-17-2007, 05:20 PM
My buddy is a Chargers fan and he called me when they acquired Chambers. He was pretty happy. I would have thought 3rd or 4th round pick fair deal. 2nd seems a bit much, I agree they could use that pick for OL , LB or even a WR. Norv coached Chambers before though so he obviously knows what he is getting. Its not like Miami has had anyone to throw to him so his numbers may not tell the whole story. Only time will tell.

cubanstogie
10-17-2007, 05:22 PM
forgot to mention he makes 5.1 million.

MasterOfPuppets
10-17-2007, 06:59 PM
next year, we need build our next generation of the O line, especially the left side.
tell it like it is preacher !!!

paw-n-maul-u
10-17-2007, 07:34 PM
What we DON'T need is a second receiver that will never push to be a number 1. We already have one of those in Cedric...

Ward will be gone in a couple of years. We need to pick up a second receiver with a number one pick the year after next.

Correct. There are far too many OT prospects next year to pass up on one. We'll have an extra third in the April 2008 draft from faneca, No? If that's the case, I fully expect us to take two OL on the first day (or rather, atleast 1).

I would spend a second rounder on a guy like malcom kelly, or limas sweed in a heartbeat. We need some size at the WR position, a bigger redzone target.

Santonio Holmes > Chris chambers. They are basically the same kind of WR, except holmes can actually catch the ball/younger and more potential.

Lord Stiller
10-17-2007, 07:56 PM
Correct. There are far too many OT prospects next year to pass up on one. We'll have an extra third in the April 2008 draft from faneca.

HUH?

No, we will get a comp pick in the April 2009 draft for Faneca. We might get a comp pick in the 2008 draft from losing Porter but we did sign Mahan so If we do it will likely be a 6th or 7th rounder

verks36
10-17-2007, 08:05 PM
Come on how long have u know the steelers for. THey never make these kind of trades for high priced players. A WR is the last thing we need on our roster. A second rounder would have been way to high.

We build our team on the draft no point of giving up on of our first day draft picks.
Also the draft this year is going to be key we got some older role players spots to fill and you know the steelers aint sighning any big name free agents so the only way to fill the wholes is the draft

slippy
10-17-2007, 08:18 PM
to all:

when you start a madden thread, please label it "mark madden" says...
that way i can just skip it.

sorry to be so snarky, but MM is an idiot.

thanks!

Indy_Steelers
10-17-2007, 08:44 PM
Let me see...so we would be without Woodley?
Really, really bad idea.

Black@Gold Forever32
10-17-2007, 09:02 PM
Mark Madden is fat annoying pig....I can't stand him and really I hope he chokes on one of the many hot wings I'm sure he consumes in a day...lol

Is Chambers a good WR....Yes he is but I wouldn't want to give up a 2nd rounder for him.......With a healthy Ward and Holmes there is plenty of weapons when you factor in Heath Miller....Plus Washington and Wilson are solid as the third and fourth WR.......

billybob
10-17-2007, 09:32 PM
that was cool dude,and i did respond too!

Stlrs4Life
10-17-2007, 09:42 PM
I agree with Mosca here. We do under estimate our receivers. And plus, how much $$ does he command? Also a 2nd rounder? Too high. Second round next season I want some OL.

NJarhead
10-17-2007, 09:52 PM
Steelers are one of the best when it comes to developing their own and plugging in a key free agent here and there. I like it that way. I'd rather have the pick.

Steeler in Carolina
10-17-2007, 10:30 PM
It was a good trade for the Chargers, because they are desperate for a WR. Also, they have the bye week for him to learn the offense. I doubt we could have fit him under the cap this year anyway.

NJarhead
10-17-2007, 10:45 PM
It was a good trade for the Chargers, because they are desperate for a WR. Also, they have the bye week for him to learn the offense. I doubt we could have fit him under the cap this year anyway.

Chargers are good with drafting players too. Not so good with head coaches.

tony hipchest
10-17-2007, 10:46 PM
HUH?

No, we will get a comp pick in the April 2009 draft for Faneca. We might get a comp pick in the 2008 draft from losing Porter but we did sign Mahan so If we do it will likely be a 6th or 7th rounderwe wont get a pick for porter. the compensatory picks are only for those lost to free agency, not for those who are cut/released, or retired.

MasterOfPuppets
10-17-2007, 10:58 PM
Chargers are good with drafting players too. Not so good with head coaches.yup....there so good at drafting, they just traded for a reciever to replace the one they drafted in the first round last year...:wink02:
craig davis....9 rec....84yds...1 td

Galax Steeler
10-18-2007, 04:56 AM
I agree with Mosca here. We do under estimate our receivers. And plus, how much $$ does he command? Also a 2nd rounder? Too high. Second round next season I want some OL.

I agree stlrs4life I think we are fine at widereceivers lets get that offensive line a going.

Lord Stiller
10-18-2007, 08:30 AM
we wont get a pick for porter. the compensatory picks are only for those lost to free agency, not for those who are cut/released, or retired.

Yeah, your right.

Losing Faneca to free agency will net us a comp pick in the 2009 draft, not next year though