PDA

View Full Version : Kimmel banned from MNF

TackleMeBen
10-18-2007, 12:35 PM
Talk about cutting straight to the punch line.

It took Jimmy Kimmel a matter of 10 minutes to do what Dennis Miller needed two years to accomplish ? getting the heave-ho from "Monday Night Football."

ESPN will no longer allow Kimmel any guest appearances on MNF after the ABC late-night host made several jokes about recently-fired analyst Joe Theismann, The New York Times reported Wednesday. Kimmel, who joined Mike Tirico, Tony Kornheiser and Ron Jaworski in the booth during the third quarter of the Giants' 31-10 win over the Falcons, joked about where Theismann was, insinuated that Kornheiser got Theismann fired (their on-air chemistry was often a topic of debate last season), and later remarked, "I'd also like to welcome Joe Theismann, watching from his living room with steam coming from his ears."

Kimmel's comments were "classless and disappointing," said Jay Rothman, ESPN's MNF producer, according to the Times. "It was cheap. The more he went on, the worse he got."
Rothman then affirmed that Kimmel would not be invited back.
Reached by the Times, Theismann said he was more amused than annoyed by Kimmel's comments.
"I don't have an opinion about what people say, but it's nice to know you're missed," Theismann said. "It's interesting that people remember me." Theismann later added that MNF "has become Tony Kornheiser's show."

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7344548

rbryan
10-18-2007, 12:45 PM
I used to think that Theisman was the most annoying announcer on Television until Kornwiser came along. I switch the audio to AM radio Monday nights now. I remember my dad doing the same back in the day because he couldn't stand Howard Cosell.

ESPN really needs to stop with the closeups of Korndog, he is a scary sight on a 55 inch HD screen. If he closed his eyes (and mouth) for more than 5 seconds I'd swear I was at the funeral home.

TackleMeBen
10-18-2007, 12:53 PM
I used to think that Theisman was the most annoying announcer on Television until Kornwiser came along. I switch the audio to AM radio Monday nights now. I remember my dad doing the same back in the day because he couldn't stand Howard Cosell.

ESPN really needs to stop with the closeups of Korndog, he is a scary sight on a 55 inch HD screen. If he closed his eyes (and mouth) for more than 5 seconds I'd swear I was at the funeral home.

:sofunny::sofunny: that is too funny.

revefsreleets
10-18-2007, 12:54 PM
Banned? He should be asked to take over in the booth. Why would he get banned for telling the truth?

KYSteelersfan
10-18-2007, 12:57 PM
I didn't pay too close attention to the game Monday night. But, I've never been a big of Jimmy Kimmel. Tony Kornwiser looks like a toothpick and needs to leave.

Atlanta Dan
10-18-2007, 12:58 PM
The full Theismann quotes in the Times story are pretty funny

Theismann was more amused than annoyed by Kimmel’s comments, some of which he heard while watching TV at home. But he missed others while watching “CSI: Miami” on CBS, a new favorite since becoming a “free agent with nowhere to go.”

“I don’t have an opinion about what people say, but it’s nice to know you’re missed,” he said yesterday in a telephone interview. “It’s interesting that people remember me.”

He said, without rancor, that he is not fully engaged in “Monday Night” because “it has become Tony Kornheiser’s show,” more about issues than football.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/17/sports/football/17kimmel.html?_r=1&ref=sports&oref=slogin

Glad to read Joe's shots were "without rancor" even though he now watches CSI Miami rather than the MNF broadcast:sofunny:

TackleMeBen
10-18-2007, 12:59 PM
Banned? He should be asked to take over in the booth. Why would he get banned for telling the truth?

because you know you have to be PC :wink02:

Jman
10-18-2007, 01:22 PM
Ridiculous. MNF announcers are terrible. Jaws hasn't even been good.

fansince'76
10-18-2007, 01:27 PM
Better games might help as well. Giants and Falcons? Please. I didn't even watch that game.

Atlanta Dan
10-18-2007, 01:35 PM
Better games might help as well. Giants and Falcons? Please. I didn't even watch that game.

Seemed like a good idea when it was scheduled, just as the anticipated Vick-Peyton Manning match-up Thanksgiving Night looked a lot better last spring.

MNF gets an inferior schedule to that provided to NBC on Sunday night and NBC can switch out of late season games as well - why ESPN paid much more for Monday night than Fox, CBS, and NBC pay for Sundays escapes me.

ESPN needs to decide it is broadcasting a football game, go to 2 in the booth (dump Kornheiser), and cut all the drop-ins to the booth by "celebrities" - that finally bit ESPN in the ass with Kimmel's appearance

rbryan
10-18-2007, 01:36 PM
I think Tirico is good. I can even tolerate Jaws, but Kornheiser is an endless gas bag. You can tell he really believes that the world is interested in his opinions on EVERYTHING. And do we really need another lame PTI segment at halftime??

Kimmel is harmless, I guess he's ABC's answer to Frank Caliendo on Fox. God forbid we just have a football game on Monday night.

tony hipchest
10-18-2007, 01:46 PM
I think Tirico is good. I can even tolerate Jaws, but Kornheiser is an endless gas bag. You can tell he really believes that the world is interested in his opinions on EVERYTHING. And do we really need another lame PTI segment at halftime??

Kimmel is harmless, I guess he's ABC's answer to Frank Caliendo on Fox. God forbid we just have a football game on Monday night.
actually caliendo was fox's answer to kimmel leaving the fox pregame show to go to abc. i would love to watch a whole game with caliendo in the booth doing his madden impersonnation. it would be hilarious.

rbryan
10-18-2007, 01:58 PM
They might as well. Its clear that ESPN/ABC are more interested in turning MNF into a weekly variety show instead of covering the game.

The only thing they're missing are a few SNL skits.

pittsburghp8baller
10-18-2007, 02:01 PM
see this is how out of it i am. since the steelers havent played monday night yet ive never really watched MNF i had no idea that kimmel was there let alone theisman got fired/left. can any1 fill me?

Michael Keller
10-18-2007, 02:17 PM
Frank Gifford , Dandy Don Meredith and Joe Willie Namath would be an improvement over what mnf now has to offer. Actually i thought Theismanwas far better than Tony Kornweiser , who I think is the second worse behind OJ Simpson.

Now I start thinking about it mnf has had some bad announcers . It must be the

verks36
10-18-2007, 02:19 PM
on the topic of Tony Cornhiser on monday night football

I like him and all on the show Pardon the Interruption also known as PTI. But as the monday night host i am not to crazy about him. He doesnt really know what he is talking about.

I like it better when they have ex players up in the booth compared to some skinny white guy reading from a script and gets all his sports infomation by watching sports center every morning

rbryan
10-18-2007, 02:25 PM
The scary thing is that this guy has been a sports writer in DC for years. HTH did he get that job?? Did his uncle own the paper ??? And then ESPN gives this clown a job in front of the camera???? I'm at a loss for words.

Lord Stiller
10-18-2007, 03:01 PM
The scary thing is that this guy has been a sports writer in DC for years. HTH did he get that job?? Did his uncle own the paper ??? And then ESPN gives this clown a job in front of the camera???? I'm at a loss for words.

Im not sure but I live in Baltimore and they have the worst sports writers and regular news writers i have ever read. The Baltimore Sun newspaper is really "dumbed down" for the unintelligent natives of Baltimore

TackleMeBen
10-18-2007, 03:02 PM
i like tony on PTI also.. i would much rather have mike wilbon in the booth than kornuts...in fact i dont watch monday night footbal b/c of him. i listen to the game on sirius radio.

Atlanta Dan
10-18-2007, 03:06 PM

Kornheiser is an extraordinarily gifted sportswriter + Wilbon & he are excellent on PTI. MNF is attempting to recapture the 1970s, when MNF was as much about Cosell and Meredith in the booth as it was about the game. That is what Korneheiser (who was the runner-up to Dennis Miller when Miller got the third man in the booth gig) is supposed to bring.

Unfortunately for Tony & ESPN, MNF now is one of 50 choices on Monday night (rather than 3) and viewers who turn to ESPN want to watch the game, not hear schtick.

Maybe MNF will evolve. IMO ESPN is considering whether it is time to get away from "entertainment" and get back to sports if this lengthy and excellent article by the ESPN ombudsman is any indication:

Fed fast food of opinion, ESPN audience starves for reported fact
By Le Anne Schreiber
ESPN Ombudsman

All I can say for sure is that factuality has been devalued in 24/7 sports media. If you look at the proportion of airtime and cyberspace devoted to reporting fact versus delivering opinion on ESPN, ESPN.com and ESPN Radio, it is clear that the main function of sports news is to serve as the molehill on which mountains of opinion are built. We don't have news cycles anymore. We have opinion cycles. ...

That puts the burden back on viewers and readers, who can vote with their remotes and clicks. My vote on opinion-driven journalism is in. If anyone thinks the point of this column is that we should all be nicer, that is not it. I hope ESPN hits the issues hard with reporting. Let opinion, however heated, arise from that.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=schreiber_leanne&id=3050882

TackleMeBen
10-18-2007, 03:11 PM
i guess that means MTV is actually going to go back to showing music videos..lol:sofunny::sofunny::thumbsup:

Lord Stiller
10-18-2007, 03:34 PM
Put Cowher and the Bus on MNF next year

:tt02:

revefsreleets
10-18-2007, 07:18 PM
I guess Frank Caliendo has a new gig on Fox. The giveaway? The 4,987,954 commercials pimping it during all the baseball playoff games.

He's good on Fox's pregame, but it's just a small dose. A whole show? He'll be giving Magic Johnson and Chvey Chase a run for the money as the shortest lived, least viewed late night shows.

As for MNF, I honestly just turn the sound off if the Steelers aren't playing.

rbryan
10-19-2007, 09:50 AM
Its getting harder and harder for me to watch the NFL anymore unless the Steelers are playing, Monday night or any other time. Most of the announcers and the media coverage in general have soured me on the game. 24/7 media coverage is killing sports IMO. I was so sick of the build up to last weeks Dallas/NE game that I couldn't bring myself to watch it. (It could be that I can't stand either team, lol)

On a more positive note, I may actually get some work done this football season. Not to mention keep the wife a little happier by not being glued to theTV all weekend.

lamberts-lost-tooth
10-20-2007, 12:42 PM
. 24/7 media coverage is killing sports IMO.

I dont know. I listen to radio broadcasts of games and still enjoy the play by play. I think the problem with Television broadcasts is that they are putting way to much emphasis on the broadcasting booth and commentators....ie, constant shots of the booth and/or personal stories that have nothing to do with the game, constant sideline updates, "Madden marks" all over the screen....and very often these things are at the expense of missing several plays in the course of the game!!
They need to get back to a realization that sports fans want to WATCH the game and LISTEN to play by play....the GAME should be bigger than those who report it.

'nuff said

TackleMeBen
10-20-2007, 01:59 PM
I dont know. I listen to radio broadcasts of games and still enjoy the play by play. I think the problem with Television broadcasts is that they are putting way to much emphasis on the broadcasting booth and commentators....ie, constant shots of the booth and/or personal stories that have nothing to do with the game, constant sideline updates, "Madden marks" all over the screen....and very often these things are at the expense of missing several plays in the course of the game!!
They need to get back to a realization that sports fans want to WATCH the game and LISTEN to play by play....the GAME should be bigger than those who report it.

'nuff said

Very well said LLT. i tune into the game to actually watch the game. not to listen to some blow hards trying to sound like they actually know football.

Atlanta Dan
10-20-2007, 04:23 PM

'nuff said

Dr. Z. and you are on the same page about this:

The Falcons-Giants game set a record for MNF, and I'm sure no one but me is aware of what it is. Shortest attention span by an announcing crew. In other words, quickest to lose interest in the game and go on to other topics, such as Jimmy Kimmel and his parade of one-liners. The old record was held by the Madden-Michaels team, which usually would go on to the topics of the day when the margin between the teams got to 10 points or so. But this bunch severed connections with Giants-Atlanta at halftime and substituted Jimmy for it.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/dr_z/10/18/mailbag/index.html

:thumbsup:

Elvis
10-26-2007, 05:19 PM
In my opinion...
Monday Night Football would have been better off keeping John Madden and Michaels as their announcers. Madden is one of the most intellegent men in the NFL and alot of people just didnt like him because of his slow talking style. These 2 in my opinion were one of the best teams out there all time. Of course I loved John Madden and Pat Summerall as well.

revefsreleets
10-26-2007, 06:36 PM
Me? I actually liked Dennis Miller on MNF. He did his research, and took the gig seriously. And he brought vocabulary back to the job (like Howard Cosell). But he was too smart for the gig, and most people just don't get it.

dragtruk
10-27-2007, 05:24 PM
In my opinion...
Monday Night Football would have been better off keeping John Madden and Michaels as their announcers. Madden is one of the most intellegent men in the NFL and alot of people just didnt like him because of his slow talking style. These 2 in my opinion were one of the best teams out there all time. Of course I loved John Madden and Pat Summerall as well.

I concur. I love Madden's play by play. I even like the screen mark-ups he does. He KNOWS the game, and is great to listen to. MNF better do something quick. I can't stand the lineup. Kornholer sucks. For a (supposedly) funny guy, he ain't too funny. Oh, and I liked Dandy Don too. Cool in his own kind of way.:cheers: