PDA

View Full Version : Steelers coach makes Pittsburgh proud..

Stlrs4Life
10-18-2007, 09:49 PM
http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/...tsburgh-proud/ (http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2007/10/18/steelers-coach-tomlin-has-pittsburgh-proud/)

Steelers? coach Tomlin has Pittsburgh proud (http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2007/10/18/steelers-coach-tomlin-has-pittsburgh-proud/) by Bill Williamson on October 18, 2007
Denver Post

You gotta give the Steelers? ownership, one of the best in the NFL, credit for hiring Mike Tomlin.

It was a risky move for the franchise, but after five games it appears to be the right one. Tomlin brings his Steelers to Denver on Sunday night playing fantastic football.
The Steelers are 4-1 and are playing as well as any team in the NFL outside of New England and Indianapolis.

Many thought Tomlin would struggle, at least early, because he has never been a head coach. And he?s just 35 years old. Many in Pittsburgh were shocked the near no-namer got picked to replace Bill Cowher and become Pittsburgh?s third head coach in 38 years. Many were suprised the job didn?t go to Steelers? assistants Ken Whisenhunt or Russ Grimm.

But Tomlin clearly has command and he is clearly ready for the NFL.

Nice job, Pittsburgh, you got the right guy.

Preacher
10-18-2007, 10:44 PM
Hmm... That is a nice little post!

Galax Steeler
10-19-2007, 05:13 AM
Agreed I was wanting tomlin over whisehunt and grim just for the simple fact his deffensive mind set that the other two did not have.

SteelDogFan
10-19-2007, 11:01 AM
Yeah I don't think a lot know that the Rooney's are not just owners they are football people. I believe Preach posted it was Rooney who actually got the team Ben at the end and not Cower.

KYSteelersfan
10-19-2007, 12:34 PM
Yeah I don't think a lot know that the Rooney's are not just owners they are football people. I believe Preach posted it was Rooney who actually got the team Ben at the end and not Cower.

Is that the reason why Cower and Ben never seemed to really get along? I don't have any facts, just that I heard some rumors that they weren't the best of friends off the field. I don't remember anybody saying that they had any troubles on the field.

Jman
10-19-2007, 12:40 PM
Indeed that is a nice little post. Good to see Denver Post showing some respect.

Dino 6 Rings
10-19-2007, 12:45 PM
what do you think? 10,000 terrible towels in Denver sunday night?

pathetic Broncos and Shananagins will be begging for mercy by halftime.

At least the Denver Post recognizes greatness when they see it. And after Sunday night, it will be determined that Denver wasnt that good and the Steelers still haven't played anyone worthy. Then whoever is next, will get thumped and it'll be the same thing...but we'll keep winning by attrition and earn our spot later on in the year.

steelpride12
10-19-2007, 01:38 PM
Agreed! i was that guy who didnt think Tonlin was the right choice, but now see the chance i never game him and im so happy he is our new head coach thanks so much!

TackleMeBen
10-19-2007, 04:57 PM
i wasnt a tomlin gal at first. i really was hoping they would have gotten ron rivera from the bears.. but i am glad that we got tomlin. he just seems to fit with the steeler style of football and he is ours for at least the next ................what 15 yrs..lol

alittlejazzbird
10-19-2007, 05:06 PM
Our buddy Bill Williamson! He who whined endlessly after the Seahawks lost Super Bowl XL, finally shows some Steeler love!

I found Mr. Williamson expounding further on Tomlin in today's Denver Post:
Youngster at Steelers' wheel
By Bill Williamson
The Denver Post
Article Last Updated: 10/18/2007 11:03:59 PM MDT

John Lynch was in Honolulu for the Pro Bowl in February 2001 when he received an urgent phone message from Tampa Bay defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin. Lynch put his family vacation on hold and immediately returned his coach's call.

"Monte told me he had good news and bad news," Lynch said, laughing at the nearly 7-year-old memory. "He said, 'The good news is, I found you a coach, but the bad news is, he's a year younger than you."'

The precocious coach Kiffin spoke of was Mike Tomlin, who would replace Herman Edwards because Edwards was leaving Tampa to become head coach of the New York Jets. Tomlin turned 29 two months after Kiffin chose him from a pool of 30 candidates.

Lynch was undaunted that he was a 30-year-old safety being directed by a man in his 20s. Tomlin was Lynch's position coach during his three final years in Tampa before Lynch signed with Denver in 2004.

"You just knew that this guy had a real future in the NFL and that he would someday be a head coach," Lynch said of Tomlin, now coach of the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Sunday night, Lynch will be a 36-year-old NFL safety looking across Invesco Field at Mile High to see the 35-year-old head coach.

"Mike just took control of the room when he was with his players," Lynch said. "He's young and he looks young, but he has a real presence about him."

Tomlin has been one of the top stories of the young NFL season. The Steelers, who won eight games last season, are 4-1 under Tomlin, who was Minnesota's defensive coordinator last season. Tomlin's hiring - he was chosen over longtime Pittsburgh assistants Ken Whisenhunt and Russ Grimm - raised eyebrows in Pittsburgh and the league.

This is a team Chuck Noll and Bill Cowher had ruled since 1969. And it was bringing in a 35-year-old kid with no head-coaching experience? Lynch knew that patience would be fruitful for the Steelers faithful.

Lynch recalls Tampa Bay coach Jon Gruden asking Tomlin and some of the other assistants to talk to the team for a quarter of the season about a variety of topics during their Super Bowl run in 2002.

"Mike was one of the coaches he picked," Lynch said. "He got in front of the entire team, and he was very commanding and very passionate. I had offensive linemen come up to me and say, 'Wow, that guy is special.' Mike was really destined to be a head coach."