PDA

View Full Version : Why am I afraid?

WisconsinSteelerMan
10-19-2007, 10:13 PM
Hey there...

Why is it that I am really nervous about this week? All signs say that this is a game that goes right to the Steeler's strength...Our awesome running game against a porous run defense...our crushing defense against an underachieving Denver offense... :blah::blah:

Why, then, am I feeling like this is a trap? :jawdrop: Maybe it is because this is the first game that I will actually be able to watch this season (I live in a small town in Wisconsin where there is no Steelers bar) and I am afraid that I won't get to see our best...

I know, I know... Just take a pill, Mike... relax...we'll be OK...it's just a game...:sorry::sorry::bonk:

NO IT'S NOT JUST A GAME... I is the STEELERS for crying out loud!! Can someone help explain my fears?

Mike in La Crosse, WI

Borski
10-19-2007, 10:44 PM
I think you basically answered your own questions. I have the same problem sometimes, when ever we play a "crappy" team I feel very nervous about losing. But I dont think we have to worry about it,

steel#1
10-19-2007, 10:55 PM
I know I always get nervous whenever we play a team we're supposed to beat.
I would much rather have everybody saying we're supposed to lose. However,
I really don't think we have to worry this week because I don't think Tomlin is going
to let them let up. Besides that after the last year they are much more determined
to not miss the play-offs again. All that being said I still would rather be the underdog. Go Steelers.

Steeler in Carolina
10-19-2007, 11:10 PM
We should win this game, however Sunday night on the road is always tough.

WWIIOwheelz
10-20-2007, 12:18 AM
Heh.... you probably remember the difficulties the Steelers had with the Broncs around a decade ago. I'm the same way, and most of it's because of Shanahan--- he's a smart coach. I'm never one to look past Denver, and their being well-rested is another factor.

Interestingly, the first person to tell me about Ben Roethlisberger coming out of college is a guy I've played fantasy football with for years & years, a huge Packers fan who lives in Wisconsin. Evidently Ben broke the hearts of University of Wisconsin fans while he was at Miami of Ohio, or something. He got me excited about Ben right after the draft that year. :)

Anyway, I feel your pain. I'll be happy when Denver is in the rear-view also.

ChronoCross
10-20-2007, 03:36 AM
Not afraid .. Not nervous.. As long as we play up to what we are, we can win every game this season we have left.. Of course we will take a stumble here and there like the Cards game.. But I will not let the broncos worry me..

Elvis
10-20-2007, 04:21 AM
If we come out and take care of business like I think that Tomlin and Co. will, I believe that the Steelers will be fine. Our passing game is gonna be a bigger part of this game than what Big Ben is making it sound in my opinion. You cant change your gameplan that much just because you think that we can run the ball alnight. The Broncos will put 8 men in the box and make Ben beat them if he has too, Shanahan is No Dumby..
:tt02:

steelpride12
10-20-2007, 08:18 AM
A ya just chill dude most good fans get nervous before a game, because you never know what could happen.

But we all know in the end it was silly getting nervous when we pound our opponents!

Steel Warrior
10-20-2007, 08:24 AM
Here's the stats from last year's game, if we don't turn the freakin ball over 6 times we should win.

Team Stat Comparison

Denver Pittsburgh
1st Downs 13 27
3rd down efficiency 3-12 4-13
4th down efficiency 0-0 0-2
Total Yards 336 499
Passing 221 403
Comp-Att 16-27 38-54
Yards per pass 8.2 7.5
Rushing 115 96
Rushing Attempts 23 19
Yards per rush 5.0 5.1
Penalties 8-60 5-50
Turnovers 0 6
Fumbles lost 0 3
Interceptions thrown 0 3
Possession 25:27 34:33

:smoker:

skinart82
10-20-2007, 09:39 AM
I always get nervous, no matter who we play. That old saying "any given Sunday," is sooooo true! But I'm hopeing that after the arizona game they know not to underestimate anybody!

Mosca
10-20-2007, 09:43 AM
It's because you can't control it, you can only watch and see what happens. But that's also part of the fun, it's what made things like the '05/'06 season so much fun; all the apprehension, then going to Cincy, Denver, and Indy and winning.

If we knew, then it wouldn't be fun.

lamberts-lost-tooth
10-20-2007, 11:07 AM
You are experiencing a condition know as Cowheriti Stubbornitis. It is a little known malady that you have picked up somewhere in your past when you must have watched your team of choice get beat by a inferior team while the coach failed to make any adjustments in the second half.
The cure is a large sub sandwich and a big screen television. Please take two good halves of football strategy and call me on Monday if the condition persists.

Dr. Lambert

lamberts-lost-tooth
10-20-2007, 12:28 PM
I'm not terribly worried. Last time I checked, Denver still didn't have a quarterback.

I actually like Cutler...I really believe in the end he will be better that Young and Lienhart...The problems we see in his play right now are no more than "rookie" mistakes. Check out his release....it is as quick as any QB in the game. I feel bad that his front line is hurt, it makes it look like he is fidgety. (I WONT feel bad about it on Sunday night however):tt02::tt02:

MasterOfPuppets
10-20-2007, 01:10 PM
You are experiencing a condition know as Cowheriti Stubbornitis. It is a little known malady that you have picked up somewhere in your past when you must have watched your team of choice get beat by a inferior team while the coach failed to make any adjustments in the second half.
The cure is a large sub sandwich and a big screen television. Please take two good halves of football strategy and call me on Monday if the condition persists.

Dr. Lambert
so what was it called against arizona ?

MasterOfPuppets
10-20-2007, 03:01 PM
I don't know. I actually like Young the best out of the bunch. Maybe Cutler will turn out to be OK, but pretty much without exception, anyone who's going ot be a "great" QB is going to get the hang of things within their first year or two. So I don't really see anything special about him. He'll eventually be adequate, but not great. 2 words.....JOHN ELWAY

Steelman16
10-20-2007, 03:18 PM
I get nervous every week. Last week was weird because I wasn't nervous! Then I realized the Steelers weren't even playing. :dang:

I mostly worry about a repeat of last year's heroics... :flap:

That said, I think we're going to win this game. :tt02:

lamberts-lost-tooth
10-20-2007, 03:37 PM
I don't know. I actually like Young the best out of the bunch. Maybe Cutler will turn out to be OK, but pretty much without exception, anyone who's going ot be a "great" QB is going to get the hang of things within their first year or two. So I don't really see anything special about him. He'll eventually be adequate, but not great.

Cutler's first start was Dec 3 of last year...so he hasnt even reached the one year mark. By your own standards you have to give him another year and half to be fair..right?

Not that he will be a Peyton Manning but Mannings rookie year he threw 28 interceptions & 26 TD and had a passer rate of 71.2 with a completion rate of 56.7

Cutler has managed an 84.0 passer rate his first 10 starts with 13 TD's & 11 interceptions..with a completion rate of 61.9

HometownGal
10-20-2007, 04:32 PM
I'm always a little nervous at the start of the game, as the Steelers O this season has generally not played as well in the 1Q as they have for the remaining 3Q's. Maybe Tomlin should kick 'em all in the hiney before they take the field.

Steel Warrior nailed it right on the head - if we don't turn the ball over, the game bodes in our favor.

Shanahan is a good coach, but he doesn't "scare" me. Toss Rat Face a piece of cheese and he's as good as distracted. :chicken:

steelpride12
10-20-2007, 04:46 PM
I actually like Cutler...I really believe in the end he will be better that Young and Lienhart...The problems we see in his play right noe are no more than "rookie" mistakes. Check out his release....it is as quick as any QB in the game. I feel bad that his front line is hurt, it makes it look like he is fidgety. (I WONT feel bad about it on Sunday night however):tt02::tt02:

To bad he throws at lest 1INT every game.

To me thats not very good!

lamberts-lost-tooth
10-20-2007, 05:19 PM
To bad he throws at lest 1INT every game.

To me thats not very good!

Again...an interception per game sucks...but you have to put it into perspective....he is technically a rookie...and you can check the first couple years of some of the greatest QB's and see that ONE interception per game isnt that uncommon...

Elway...first three years averaged at least one per game with 23 in his third season
Marino...first 3 out of first 4 years he averaged at least one per game with 23 in his 4th season
Aikman...averaged over 1 per game his first two seasons
Our beloved Bradshaw....24 his first year and 22 his second.

lamberts-lost-tooth
10-20-2007, 05:23 PM
so what was it called against arizona ?

A lesser known ailment called Gotus R Playbookaria..

TackleMeBen
10-20-2007, 06:46 PM
I'm always a little nervous at the start of the game, as the Steelers O this season has generally not played as well in the 1Q as they have for the remaining 3Q's. Maybe Tomlin should kick 'em all in the hiney before they take the field.

Steel Warrior nailed it right on the head - if we don't turn the ball over, the game bodes in our favor.

Shanahan is a good coach, but he doesn't "scare" me. Toss Rat Face a piece of cheese and he's as good as distracted. :chicken:
HTG,

dont let tony read that comment about cheese.. we will be up to our eyeballs with cheese pictures....lol:wink02:.... and he hasnt posted one in awhile either..lol

ShutDown24
10-20-2007, 07:46 PM
This is the first game this season I won't get to see... I am very confident the Steelers will win though with Walker and possibly Bailey out now...

rbryan
10-20-2007, 08:56 PM
Its all good dont be skeerd. Win or lose this weekend I got a good feeling about this year. Its a brand new season in Jan. Let the patsies have all the attention now. I like our chances to finish atop the AFC North and go from there.

WisconsinSteelerMan
10-20-2007, 10:15 PM
Thanks guys (and gals)... I feel a little better with some help from my "Steeler Friends" around the WWW. Still nervous, but in a good way. It is more ANTICIPATION of a good game. I only get to see the national games here in the land of cheese, so this is the first for the season. My kids, wife, DOG, and I will be all decked out in our Steelers gear ALL DAY tomorrow to get revved up for this game. Got me some Pierogies, Kraut and Kielbassa for the game...

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!!!!!:tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02: :cheers::helmet::banana:

WisconsinSteelerMan

rbryan
10-20-2007, 11:14 PM
Being nervous can give you an edge.....Don't sleep too sound. Broncs lost 3 straight, no problem right???? last 3 games: Colts, Jags, SD.

Pretty good teams. any given sunday

Preacher
10-21-2007, 01:48 AM
Wow....

A thread started by a man in Wisconsin, talking about a game against a head coach that HTG says has a ratface... and just needs cheese....

and TH isn't here? No cheese pics?

IS TONY OK? SOMEONE SEND HIM HELP NOW!!

Steelers
10-21-2007, 12:52 PM
You're not afraid. It's just the jitters from all the buildup. We've been looking forward to this game for 2 weeks and it's primetime.

Be confident, man!

Jeremy
10-21-2007, 01:11 PM
Hey there...

Why is it that I am really nervous about this week? All signs say that this is a game that goes right to the Steeler's strength...Our awesome running game against a porous run defense...our crushing defense against an underachieving Denver offense... :blah::blah:

Why, then, am I feeling like this is a trap? :jawdrop: Maybe it is because this is the first game that I will actually be able to watch this season (I live in a small town in Wisconsin where there is no Steelers bar) and I am afraid that I won't get to see our best...

I know, I know... Just take a pill, Mike... relax...we'll be OK...it's just a game...:sorry::sorry::bonk:

NO IT'S NOT JUST A GAME... I is the STEELERS for crying out loud!! Can someone help explain my fears?

Mike in La Crosse, WI

Because you've spent too much time in cheese land?

SteelDogFan
10-21-2007, 01:41 PM
You can through stats, wins and loses and any other pre-concieved notion out for this game. The Steelers are going to have to smack Denver in the mouth in the first quarter to stifle the emotion the have built up over their bye week.

if they can do that and by the second quarter the teams should be down to just playing football and the Broncos do not match up.

But if the Steelers let the Broncos have the lead by the end of the first quarter it may be a long day for the Black & Gold. Hopefully its 10 or 14 to nothing by the end of the second quarter and the Steelers keep their streak of not allowing a TD in the first half going.

zoneblitz43
10-21-2007, 04:43 PM
The only thing I am nervous about is turning the ball over. If we turn the ball over to Denver as much as we did last year we will lose. Travis Henry doesn't worry me, our D is too good at stopping the run, and Cutler hasn't faced our D yet, he won't be ready. The o-line needs to produce as well.

WisconsinSteelerMan
10-21-2007, 10:30 PM
Well, It looks as though I was the Jinx this week. I am sorry guys and gals!

Mike in La Crosse, WI

delhess
10-21-2007, 10:37 PM
denver played a great game, and i think the pittsburgh coaches may have outcoached (overthought things to much) themselves a little bit.. we didn't really deserve a win, if you look at the game as a whole in my opinion. very exciting game however!

Preacher
10-22-2007, 12:17 AM
Well, It looks as though I was the Jinx this week. I am sorry guys and gals!

Mike in La Crosse, WI

Naaa...

Come join us every week.... This is a great site!!

WisconsinSteelerMan
10-22-2007, 09:14 AM
Hey, Preacher...

I mostly lurk the forums to see what the "guys and gals who know something" have to say. I have been lurking since before the superbowl run in 2006. Course I have been a fan since I was BORN!

Thanks for making me feel welcome, though!! I love it here!

Mike in La Crosse, WI