PDA

View Full Version : Clean-cut Jets meet Cincinnati Bengals in battle of losers

lamberts-lost-tooth
10-21-2007, 11:15 AM
Clean-cut Jets meet Cincinnati Bengals in battle of losers
BY RICH CIMINI
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER
Sunday, October 21st 2007, 4:00 AM

CINCINNATI - In one sense, it's a matchup of bad versus bad. With two combined wins, the Jets and Bengals are among the biggest busts in the NFL. But take a step back and the picture changes dramatically. The broader view shows it's really good versus bad - in a saints-and-sinners kind of way.

The Jets are known throughout the league for their squeaky-clean image; the Bengals are the bad boys of the league, with more arrests (14) than victories (nine) since December, 2005.

Today at Paul Brown Stadium, it's the team with no offense against the team with multiple offenses; Team Quiet versus Team Chaos. It should make for an interesting chemistry experiment: Which underachieving team will handle adversity better, the one that presents a united front or the group with internal squabbles?

"I call it the Character Bowl," said former quarterback Boomer Esiason, who played for both teams. "They're polar opposites. The Bengals' lack of character is supposedly the reason why they're losing. The Jets supposedly have a lot of character, but they're losing, too. Maybe it's because 'character' can't run a 4.3 40."

At a time like this, with a three-game losing streak and a brewing quarterback controversy, the Jets are leaning on team unity - at least that's how they're selling it. Except for Chris Baker questioning the play calling after last week's loss to the Eagles, and some mild locker-room grumbling, the Jets have avoided full-blown dissension.

"We're all angry and frustrated and disappointed, but we all understand the only way you can turn it around is to stay together, stay positive and keep talking to each other," said Chad Pennington, who could be benched if he doesn't emerge from his slump against the woeful Cincinnati defense. "Once you become divisive, or once you start arguing, nothing good can happen."

From the moment Eric Mangini and GM Mike Tannenbaum took control, they made it clear that building a team of solid citizens was a top priority. Critics say they place too much emphasis on character, eliminating talented players that don't fit Mangini's "Jet core values," but they believe it's important to have unselfish, team-oriented players. Those types are less likely to jump ship during tough times, they say. Times like now.

To help maintain team harmony, Mangini conducts a weekly meeting with the six team captains. Food is served (shrimp and crab are among the preferred dishes) and they discuss team issues, everything from the lunch menu to the practice schedule.

"It's important to be able to talk openly about what's happening, and have a give and take," Mangini said.

At the moment, there are plenty of hot-button issues (play calling, demanding practices, et al), but the meetings never turn into gripe sessions, according to the players. Mangini said he's willing to listen to complaints, claiming his door is always open.

"It's not like college, where the professor had office hours," he said.

Players say Mangini is extremely critical behind closed doors, calling out players in meetings, but he's not a yeller and he never questions their commitment. In Cincinnati, Marvin Lewis delivered a profanity-laced tirade two weeks ago after a 21-point loss to the Patriots, accusing the players of being "selfish."

"If you don't want to be on the team, don't show up (tomorrow)," he sceamed.

For years, team chemistry has been an issue for the Bengals, who turned their hometown into Cin City with all the arrests. (Only two Jets, Justin Miller and Adrian Jones, have been arrested under Mangini.) Wide receiver Chris Henry is serving an eight-game suspension for being arrested four times in a 14-month span.

Instead of a team picture in their media guide, the Bengals should use individual mug shots.

Lewis is trying to clean up the team's image, but it's hard when the most popular player, wide receiver Chad Johnson, is always running his mouth. After a second-quarter interception against the Patriots, Johnson and quarterback Carson Palmer jawed at each other on the sideline. It stunned many that Palmer, a laid back California dude, lost his cool. Losing can do that to a person.

"When it isn't right, he jumps on my (butt)," said Johnson, insisting that he and Palmer are cool. "When he isn't right, I jump on his (butt)."

So maybe the Jets have better team chemistry, but it hasn't done them much good. They're in the same sorry place as the bickering Bengals.

MasterOfPuppets
10-21-2007, 11:21 AM
GO JETS !!!! :tt02:

lamberts-lost-tooth
10-21-2007, 12:11 PM
GO JETS !!!! :tt02:

J.... E..... T..... S.... Jets! Jets! Jets!

or more appropriataly....The Bengals Suck!

touchdownward
10-21-2007, 03:43 PM
Bengals are holding their own against the mighty jets. :chuckle:
Jets up 7-3 end of 1st.

Borski
10-21-2007, 03:54 PM
Come'on Jets! If the beat then Bungals we could be a whole extra game on the rest of our division

nojobny
10-21-2007, 04:28 PM
:tt02: Jet's winning 20-10 with 7 seconds left in the first half.

The Jets winning would make my Jets fan husband and myself very happy today! :tt02:

fansince'76
10-21-2007, 04:35 PM
Sounds like the boo birds are out in force in Cincy. :chuckle:

HometownGal
10-21-2007, 04:37 PM

You do mean the bandwagon hoppers, don't ya? :wink02::toofunny:

Atlanta Dan
10-21-2007, 04:41 PM
Just came back in to catch that masterful end of the half clock management by Palmer and the Bengals:sofunny:

IMO Marvin may not make it to the end of the season

xXTheSteelKingsXx
10-21-2007, 05:05 PM
Did anyone else see Keyshawn Johnson calling out Chad today on ESPN? It was great. I was cracking up when Keyshawn asked Chad if he thought the whole thing was just a game and Ocho Stinko tried to defend his touch down celebration antics.

touchdownward
10-21-2007, 05:10 PM
As well as the paper bags.....and they ain't coming from the local hobos. :smile:

touchdownward
10-21-2007, 05:22 PM
Jets just bungled a punt, 20 yarder. Bungs with decent field position trailing 23-17.

83-Steelers-43
10-21-2007, 05:24 PM
So both Shannon Sharpe and Keyshawn Johnson ripped into CJ today?

But, but....he's such a team player. We just "don't get Chad", that's all.

Borski
10-21-2007, 05:27 PM
Bla.....Bungals take the lead

Jets 23
Bungals 24

tony hipchest
10-21-2007, 05:30 PM
So both Shannon Sharpe and Keyshawn Johnson ripped into CJ today?

But, but....he's such a team player. We just "don't get Chad", that's all.the keyshawn/chad argument ...errrr... inteview was compelling. if you ever needed proof that chad just dont get it, this was it.

nojobny
10-21-2007, 05:39 PM
sigh... somethings never change.

J-E-T-S Suck,Suck,Suck!

Borski
10-21-2007, 05:46 PM
well it was looking promising at first...

83-Steelers-43
10-21-2007, 05:51 PM
the keyshawn/chad argument ...errrr... inteview was compelling. if you ever needed proof that chad just dont get it, this was it.

I did not see the interview. I just flicked on the channel and I heard Sharpe ripping into the guy. Did the interview get heated?

Borski
10-21-2007, 05:52 PM
well now the Jets are just making the Bengals look good...

Maybe if they win this week they wont be so desperate for a win next week against us...

tony hipchest
10-21-2007, 05:55 PM
I did not see the interview. I just flicked on the channel and I heard Sharpe ripping into the guy. Did the interview get heated?:chuckle:

yeah. chad kept trying to spin everything wrong back on keyshawn. in the end chad blamed keyshawn ushering chad into the league for why he showboats (no kidding).

keyshawn pretty much called an end to the interview citing that chad just wasnt trying to get what he was asking/telling him.

poor showing by chad, but 1 that will definitely make ol marv proud.

83-Steelers-43
10-21-2007, 05:57 PM
:chuckle:

yeah. chad kept trying to spin everything wrong back on keyshawn. in the end chad blamed keyshawn ushering chad into the league for why he showboats (no kidding).

keyshawn pretty much called an end to the interview citing that chad just wasnt trying to get what he was asking/telling him.

poor showing by chad, but 1 that will definitely make ol marv proud.

LOL....that's good stuff.

What's there to say about that team that hasn't already been said? What a mess. A complete mess. Went from having high hopes in 2005 to what they are now. The joke of the league.

nojobny
10-21-2007, 06:05 PM
well it was looking promising at first...

That's what they always do. Either start out strong or do too little too late. It's the usual collapse.

The Duke
10-21-2007, 06:17 PM
Oh well, it's just their second win of the season. at least baltimore lost

Atlanta Dan
10-21-2007, 06:23 PM
Oh well, it's just their second win of the season. at least baltimore lost

Since the Steelers do not play until tonight, I spent the afternoon watching the Bills and Jets games off and on - not a real uplifting experience - winning one of those two is about as much as could be expected.

touchdownward
10-21-2007, 06:41 PM
Jets rookie DB Revins should be beaten with a sack full of doorknobs.
His two pass interference calls not only kept late game drives alive, they resulted in 14 points.
Rookie took his lumps today.