PDA

View Full Version : Embarassed by O staff and defense in tight games

silver2000svt
10-21-2007, 11:29 PM
We have had two tight games and both times the defense came up flat and let a much less talented team dominate them at key points of the game...

We are the best rushing team in the NFL, the Broncos are the worse rushing team in the NFL and we spend the entire first half throwing the ball all over the field and it led to 3 TO's... Hint guys... Willie Parker is the best player on our team.....

delhess
10-21-2007, 11:31 PM
i thinks wiz is missed today.

bw87a
10-21-2007, 11:32 PM
i would like to have seen what we could have done if we would have run the ball all 3 times on a play set....did we even do that once?

jjpro11
10-21-2007, 11:32 PM
god that ****ing sucked.

silver2000svt
10-21-2007, 11:34 PM
By the Way... I thought we would be New England... I don't think we have a chance...

fansince'76
10-21-2007, 11:35 PM
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! :chicken: :chicken: :chicken:

XxKnightxX
10-21-2007, 11:36 PM
Im in that quiet anger right now from this game. Hell i gotta give it to the broncos they palyed like there was no tomorrow and obviously the steelers didnt play like that. The staff panicked to quickly in the first half and started slinging the ball around that led to 3 turnovers and 2 touchdowns out of them if im correct. Im just wondering why they wouldnt stick to pounding the rock and wearing them out. Yeah they were having 8 and even 9 guys in the box at times but that game reminded me of how they played last year without any emotion or motivation. Really disappointed.

Preacher
10-21-2007, 11:38 PM
i would like to have seen what we could have done if we would have run the ball all 3 times on a play set....did we even do that once?

Hmmm...

Last time we were in this position.... we ran all three times in a play set... and we were all freaking out that Whiz was calling our games again....

Oh no.. Throw the ball. throw the ball.

Now, we throw the ball.... and people scream.. OH NO.. run the ball run the ball.

Come on people. We put up 28 points. TWENTY EIGHT POINTS.

At some point.. the DEFENSE HAS TO SHOW UP.

Oh yeah.. and you can't run IF THE LINE DOESN"T BLOCK.

Preacher
10-21-2007, 11:38 PM
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! :chicken: :chicken: :chicken:

:sofunny::sofunny::sofunny::sofunny::sofunny:

PAMillerGrrl83
10-21-2007, 11:43 PM
Its not quite the end of the world....just yet.

XxKnightxX
10-21-2007, 11:44 PM
Hmmm...

Last time we were in this position.... we ran all three times in a play set... and we were all freaking out that Whiz was calling our games again....

Now, we throw the ball.... and people scream.. OH NO.. run the ball run the ball.

Youre absolutely right on that one as well. Where did the defense go during this game they were out of character with allowing all those 3rd and longs. Aaron Smith might of been out but the secondary were flying around like a bunch of rag dolls and wouldnt tackle a soul or put up a fight for the ball.

Steel_Bus_24
10-21-2007, 11:44 PM
Needless to say that was a frustrating loss, and our O-Line has finally been exposed so that everyone can see it,

It was probably more frustrating watching a crippled Bronco's O kick the crap out of our D, They should not be hanging up 21 on us especially without Javon Walker. And what and the hell is up with our 2:00 minute D, it makes me sick(Its been a problem for a while)

There were some good things though, like how we battled back and converted some of those 3rd downs in the crunch. But its obvious our team still has some growing up to do if we want to talk about playoffs. Hopefully we do it quick because its not going to get easy from here on out.

Im saving my all out "explosion of anger" because if we kick the crap out of the Bengals and Ravens I'll be feeing good again....If we lose I might have to be locked up for a while in fear that I might hurt someone

bw87a
10-22-2007, 12:03 AM
Hmmm...

oh i definitely agree with you. we did have many nice long-range completions tonight and i was impressed with the way we passed the ball on several occasions. i just wanted to see one running play set. i'm not one of the anal ones that demands the ball to be run EVERYTIME we have the ball. you're also right about the defense. where were they?

LVSteelersfan
10-22-2007, 12:05 AM
The first half was pretty bad but I don't think it was 100% bad. I am not impressed with the third and long conversions by Denver however. Coming back and tying the score with very little time left showed a lot of character. I love the way the tight ends play and that we actually use them. The running game was a little on the pathetic side for most of the game. And Ben had to run for his life A LOT. But the bright spots in the game left some hope that things can be shored up and we can make a run at the playoffs. We will see the next two weeks in division games. If we continue playing this way it will be a dogfight to the playoffs. We could easily be 3 games up on the Ravens.

Edman
10-22-2007, 12:07 AM
Still a long way to go. Pittsburgh is still on top of the AFC North.

If the Steelers come out flat in Cincy next week, then there's a cause for HUGE concern. Oh and...

It's Willie Parker's fault we lost.

SteelerFan2000
10-22-2007, 12:55 AM
I got consoled earlier tonight by a message from my cousin, who is a Chargers fan.

He said that the Steelers and their fans have no reason to feel ashamed in their two losses. They fell behind early and battled back and lost in the final minute. One play goes differently each loss, and those are Steelers wins.

He then told me if I wanted to look at two embarrassing losses, look at the ones the Chargers had versus Green Bay and Kansas City. The Chargers were leading in both games in the 4th quarter and blew it. In both games, Rivers had a turnover that was returned for a TD, and both games, the Chargers defense failed to fully tackle properly. He said that the Chargers, like the Steelers, were only a few plays away from both those losses being victories.

He sure would have liked the Steelers to have won to help his Chargers out in the AFC West against the Broncos though.

So, I'm disappointed in the two losses for sure, but take heart in knowing that had one play gone differently in each one, the Steelers would be 6-0 right now.

Preacher
10-22-2007, 01:12 AM
I got consoled earlier tonight by a message from my cousin, who is a Chargers fan.

He said that the Steelers and their fans have no reason to feel ashamed in their two losses. They fell behind early and battled back and lost in the final minute. One play goes differently each loss, and those are Steelers wins.

He then told me if I wanted to look at two embarrassing losses, look at the ones the Chargers had versus Green Bay and Kansas City. The Chargers were leading in both games in the 4th quarter and blew it. In both games, Rivers threw an INT that was returned for a TD, and both games, the Chargers defense failed to fully tackle properly. He said that the Chargers, like the Steelers, were only a few plays away from both those losses being victories.

He sure would have liked the Steelers to have won to help his Chargers out in the AFC West against the Broncos though.

So, I'm disappointed in the two losses for sure, but take heart in knowing that had one play gone differently in each one, the Steelers would be 6-0 right now.

He has a point.

There is still problems with the team... but he is correct in the loss.

MasterOfPuppets
10-22-2007, 01:21 AM
i just wanna know when thier gonna break out this new ,exciting , stuff we heard about during the offseason,and preseaon.....where's the hurry up offense, where's the 4 & 5 reciever sets, what happend to the spread offence thats suppossed to keep the D's off balance to open up the running game??? when are we gonna see the new, inovated looks on D ,thats gonna confuse the hell outta the offense? 2 freakin sacks on a bronco's injure riddled OLine???

figg
10-22-2007, 01:25 AM
Our O-line sucks when it comes to pass protection! That and 3rd down d is what killed us.

Preacher
10-22-2007, 01:27 AM
i just wanna know when thier gonna break out this new ,exciting , stuff we heard about during the offseason,and preseaon.....where's the hurry up offense, where's the 4 & 5 reciever sets, what happend to the spread offence thats suppossed to keep the D's off balance to open up the running game??? when are we gonna see the new, inovated looks on D ,thats gonna confuse the hell outta the offense? 2 freakin sacks on a bronco's injure riddled OLine???

Who knows...

Playing possum? Doubt it, but I guess we have to ask anything and everything....

WWIIOwheelz
10-22-2007, 01:47 AM
Broncos converted 3rd & 14 twice on the same drive.

I was reminded of 1998 - 2003, sadly, when every year I said we needed help in the secondary.

The defense and the offensive line had really bad games, tonight. The refs weren't seeing the other team very well either, but I don't like to blame them.

It was a frustrating game to watch.

Edman
10-22-2007, 01:57 AM
If Ben can put up 4 TD's and almost 300 yards behind this O-Line, imagine his stats if he had Brady's protection.

O-Line is top priority next year.

TroysBadDawg
10-22-2007, 02:08 AM
AS much as I hate to say it, today you defense looked like ours, not there. BTW where was it? Did they take the day off? Some one needs to be kicking some booty.
And they win by a field goal, that is even sicker.

Oh well The Indians went down, you went down, My wife refuses ....oh never mind about that.

Like Manny said there is always next year or next week as this is football not baseball.

But if your Defense plays olike that against us we may have a chance. To keep it close, or even win.

Preacher
10-22-2007, 02:08 AM
If Ben can put up 4 TD's and almost 300 yards behind this O-Line, imagine his stats if he had Brady's protection.

It will be anyways.

Unfortunately, I didn't tape it. I want to see how they brought the pressure. I think they were overloading one side. If that IS the case...

then it would be Ben's fault, because it is up to him to call out of it.

Boomerang
10-22-2007, 02:25 AM
That was one frustrating game to watch.When you put up close to 30 points you should be winning,not sure what happened to our D today.

figg
10-22-2007, 02:32 AM

I think about that as well. I really dont know why they re-signed Simmons he's terrible.

Preacher
10-22-2007, 02:36 AM
I think about that as well. I really dont know why they re-signed Simmons he's terrible.

I don't know... I think he was doing rather well this year.

It may actually be scheming again... I really want to watch the game again to see where they are coming from.

Steeldude
10-22-2007, 02:58 AM
as the steelers seem to do a lot, they played down to a inferior opponent. that's why i made a post last week commenting it. anyone remember losing to the pathetic chargers in 94?

i knew the steelers wouldn't run the ball that much. the ridiculous thing is if the broncos had the #1 run D the steelers would have kept trying to run it.

how many more drafts will the steelers neglect the O-line?

SteelerFan2000
10-22-2007, 03:21 AM
First let me complain about htting a QB who is running downthe field. Is he not just like anyone else when he decides to run with it and not slide? Second, because of the sissy NFL our LBers looked at him waitng for him to slide and let him run right by and then Troy gets penalized on what looked like a clean hit on a RUNNER to me.

Second how many whisles have to blow before the whole Broncos line throws Ben to the ground, for it to be a penalty.

All in all we sucked tonight. I really think the air had the D winded, they looked slow and at times confused. On one play the Broncos loaded one side with 3 WRs and there was 1 corner out there, that is some creative D in my book.. Seems as usual we over think and out game plan ourselves. They had the worst Run D and we threw the ball.

We have not looked good in our long road trips this year, maybe Cincy and Balt are close enough to still play well.

All will be well if we beat our division, btu as Colinsworth said at half time " Can we quit this talk of the Steelers being up there with NE and the Colts"

The way the league is protecting QBs now, they might as well have DO NOT TOUCH emblazoned all over their jerseys.

OX1947
10-22-2007, 03:40 AM
Look guys, its obvious Arians made a big mistake trying to play Pass happy in the first half. Arians adjusted and we came back. They tried to do something, it didnt work but at least they changed back to normal after the half and played a very good half. Take away that stupid fumble and we win this game. Sometimes, its good to try things out and if they dont work, then its better in the 6th week in the season then the 16th.

Galax Steeler
10-22-2007, 05:31 AM
Our deffense really looked off key tonight they were giving up big plays and didn't seem to get pressure to the quarterback.

lamberts-lost-tooth
10-22-2007, 08:20 AM
Look guys, its obvious Arians made a big mistake trying to play Pass happy in the first half. Arians adjusted and we came back. They tried to do something, it didnt work but at least they changed back to normal after the half and played a very good half. Take away that stupid fumble and we win this game. Sometimes, its good to try things out and if they dont work, then its better in the 6th week in the season then the 16th.

I agree....The broncos were a much better team than most people were giving them credit for and Cutler has the makings of a VERY good QB. You cant take anything away from them...they played solid. But as you said, take away the turnovers and the game was ours.

TackleMeBen
10-22-2007, 08:43 AM
our defense didnt seem like they could tackle anyone. and for us to give up those big plays... i think we need some help with our CBs. they were playing back on plays and letting the broncos WRs have a field day....

TackleMeBen
10-22-2007, 08:44 AM
Its not quite the end of the world....just yet.

if we lose to cincy then it will be the end of the world :flap:

GeneralRobinson
10-22-2007, 09:41 AM
I don't have a problem with the gameplan. The players did not execute last night.

O-Line performed poorly in the second quarter which played a big part in Ben fumbling and having it returned for a TD.

Hines had one pass dropped that would have sustained our second drive and one pass deflect off of his hands which led to another Denver TD.

Run blocking in the 1st half was below our standards which forced Ben into a lot of third and longs.

Defensively, lack of a consistent pass rushed allowed Cutler time to complete plenty of passes and convert third downs. Receivers that our defense were able to cover against Seattle got open for Denver.

Overall, it was a total team loss that was brought about by inconsistent gameplan execution. The passing philosophy sure looked good in the first drive when we scored a TD. Give both teams credit for a good game, but Denver deserved to win.

BurghZ0n3
10-22-2007, 09:46 AM
say, howcome there's no REVERSE play??? No more "No huddle" offense either??? It's embarassing....!!! Cutler looked like Brady last night...:jawdrop:

HometownGal
10-22-2007, 09:53 AM
our defense didnt seem like they could tackle anyone. and for us to give up those big plays... i think we need some help with our CBs. they were playing back on plays and letting the broncos WRs have a field day....

The biggest problem with the D yesterday, imho, was that Cutler had all day to throw back there. In the first half especially - the pass rush just wasn't there. That wasn't the Steelers D we had seen the first 5 games of the season. I have no doubt after reviewing the film, Lebeau and Tomlin will be working these guys like mules this week in practice to re-establish the dominance this D had before the bye.

TackleMeBen
10-22-2007, 10:02 AM
The biggest problem with the D yesterday, imho, was that Cutler had all day to throw back there. In the first half especially - the pass rush just wasn't there. That wasn't the Steelers D we had seen the first 5 games of the season. I have no doubt after reviewing the film, Lebeau and Tomlin will be working these guys like mules this week in practice to re-establish the dominance this D had before the bye.
:iagree: maybe tomlin should have had the team practice the whole bye week instead of giving them several off days??? lol..

SteelersMongol
10-22-2007, 10:55 AM
Our defense team sucked big time. When Cutler was running around like he was in the park, our defensive guys were looking so stupid. No wonder why Troy "hit" him that hard, because he was mad at our guys who let Cutler just walk around that far.