PDA

View Full Version : Some props to Ben.

Edman
10-22-2007, 12:54 AM
So we lost. But tonight proves that this team is never out of a game as long as Ben Roethlisberger is the quarterback. A vast improvement over last year. On a night when the O-Line was atrocious, he overcame his shaky play in the first half and almost single-handedly won this game in the second half. If the Defense had even shown any signs of life and gotten the ball back when they needed to, we would've won.

The first INT was his fault (he got greedy), the second one was completely on Hines. It was right into his hands, and deflected into the defenders'. It just goes to show you that Lady Luck was not on the Steelers' side tonight.

Now let's hammer the Bengals and go on a run.

Preacher
10-22-2007, 01:05 AM
So we lost. But tonight proves that this team is never out of a game as long as Ben Roethlisberger is the quarterback. A vast improvement over last year. On a night when the O-Line was atrocious, he overcame shaky play in the first half and almost single-handedly won this game in the second half. If the Defense had even shown any signs of life and gotten the ball back when they needed to, we would've won.

The first INT was his fault (he got greedy), the second one was completely on Hines. It was right into his hands, and deflected into the defenders'. It just goes to show you that Lady Luck was not on the Steelers' side tonight.

Now let's hammer the Bengals and go on a run.

I gotta agree with you. However, the fumble has to be put on him as well. He needs to protect the ball better. However, They also need to protect BEN a lot better!

fansince'76
10-22-2007, 01:22 AM
I'd still like to see what Ben can do when he is given enough time to have a cup of coffee, read the morning paper, take a dump, and still get the pass off - the kind of time Brady and Manning typically get. Hate to sound redundant, but O-line is priority #1 in next year's draft.

Preacher
10-22-2007, 01:34 AM
I'd still like to see what Ben can do when he is given enough time to have a cup of coffee, read the morning paper, take a dump, and still get the pass off - the kind of time Brady and Manning typically get. Hate to sound redundant, but O-line is priority #1 in next year's draft.

Nope.

We need a running back.

If we had a real running back.. we would have won tonight!

:wink02::wink02:

After all... the running backs to all the blocking!

Edman
10-22-2007, 02:12 AM
We need another fat back. Remember, the bus could run through 20 people and move mountains with his superior leg drive. :flap:

lotas
10-22-2007, 02:19 AM
I dunno about the running back situation, I think Davenport has enough power in those legs to be the power back. I think the O-line is a much more dire situation...I feel like the O-line gives up on the play, and when half of our passing plays are Ben being rushed outta the pocket, its vital that the O-line play through and stay with their guys.

I saw a few times tonight where a few guys just sort of stopped blocking as if the play should be over and Ben ended up getting swarmed by 'em.

Or am i just trippin' :)?

Indy_Steelers
10-22-2007, 04:04 AM
He can not hold on to the ball that long. He made the line look worse than they are(not that they are great). He had trouble hitting his WR in the first half as well. The three plays that killed us were the two that took us out of field goal range at the end of the 2nd quarter and the fumble for a TD. We also could not run the ball on the worse run D in the NFL. He did wind up with 290 yards and 4 TDs and he ran in the 2nd half as well. We played much better, as a team, in the 2nd half. I hope we can play better on th road.

Galax Steeler
10-22-2007, 04:24 AM
I think ben handled himself in the second half like a reall quarterback If he had time to throw we would win alot more games.

ohiosteelerfan20
10-22-2007, 04:58 AM
I wish the NFL would come up with the stat 'AVOIDS SACK'. Ben would be leading the league for sure. Ben looks so much better this year than he did last year. I just hope the o line lets him finish the season.

The Duke
10-22-2007, 06:52 AM
4tds against the leagues best pass D, great performance Ben. O line just needs to protect the guy

Michael Keller
10-22-2007, 07:08 AM
Hey I refuse to drive myself crazy and get depressed when the Steelers lose. THE OFFENSIVE LINE WAS THE AREA OF CONCERN BEFORE THE SEASON BEGAN.
IT REMAINS THE AREA OF WEAKNESS TODAY.

The Steelers may make it to the play offs they are on balance good enough but THEY ARE NOT AN ELITE TEAM. Accept this reality and you will enjoy this season.much more. The offensive line must be strengthened during the off season in a very agressive manner. Ben needs more protection and Parker needs better openings. The defense will be off the field more and then and only then are the Steelers an elite team.

Hope for 11 and 5, get into the play offs injury free and anything can happen.

If you are blaming Ben, Willie or Troy for the Steelers loss today you simply do not recognize superior talent and do not know football. The blame belongs with the THE OFFENSIVE LINE AND THAT IS IT. IT IS THAT SIMPLE.

Michael

SCSTILLER
10-22-2007, 07:19 AM
Another thing about the O-line and it being priority #1 in the offseason (man, cannot beleive I even mentioned the off season this early) but we are going to be losing Feneca also. That is a huge hole in the line.

Why didn't we try to run more quick slants to offset their rush? We tried a couple of screens, no good. Should have tried it, but I am not the coach and didn't see the whole field, so maybe there was something to it.

One more thing, did anyone think that the slamming of Ben to the turf by 5 defenders warrant a 15 yard penalty? He was clearly in the grasp, getting piled up on, then tossed to the turf.

fansince'76
10-22-2007, 07:26 AM
One more thing, did anyone think that the slamming of Ben to the turf by 5 defenders warrant a 15 yard penalty? He was clearly in the grasp, getting piled up on, then tossed to the turf.

Yes, especially considering the 15-yarder Troy received for hitting Cutler well beyond the line of scrimmage.

TackleMeBen
10-22-2007, 07:37 AM

yes it did. since they called troy for that bogus penatly.. but the difference is ben last name isnt manning or brady... and i guess they figure he is a pretty big guy and he can take the punishment of getting thrown around like a rag doll.

SCSTILLER
10-22-2007, 07:41 AM
yes it did. since they called troy for that bogus penatly.. but the difference is ben last name isnt manning or brady... and i guess they figure he is a pretty big guy and he can take the punishment of getting thrown around like a rag doll.

Was thinking the same thing. Sneeze on Brady or Manning and you will get 15 yards. Oh well, what can you do. Tough loss!

HometownGal
10-22-2007, 07:45 AM
I'd have to seriously give Ben a B- for this game, though I'd give the OL a D- in the first half alone, which didn't help Ben's performance that half. I don't blame this loss on Ben - this was definitely a total team loss.

Yes - the Broncs most definitely should have been slapped with a 15 yarder for throwing Ben to the ground like that. No doubt about it.

I've said it before and I"ll say it again - for whatever reason, this team seems to be sleepwalking in the first half and comes alive in the second. Consistency (along with the turnover problems) seems to be what this team is lacking right now imho. They just don't play solid kick a$$ football for 60 minutes. This is where the coaching staff comes into play. They need to light a bonfire under their a$$es before they take the field and keep it going from opening kickoff to the final second ticks off that clock.

TackleMeBen
10-22-2007, 07:52 AM
Was thinking the same thing. Sneeze on Brady or Manning and you will get 15 yards. Oh well, what can you do. Tough loss!

start throwing our opponents qbs around like rag dolls and take the 15 yarder just so they will start being scared.....lol ..(i am just a little mad about that..lol.)

you look at manning or brady cross-eyed and they slap you with a 15 yard penalty. which is BS..but like you said.. what can you do..

i will say that ben did play a good game considering yet again the Oline had him running for his life..(i sense my wok is going to have to come out and beat the oline upside the head..lol)

BurghZ0n3
10-22-2007, 08:54 AM
....we don't need a "bus" anymore....we need a "MONSTER TRUCK"!!!! :coffee:

WisconsinSteelerMan
10-22-2007, 09:53 AM
I loved that 4th and inches play where we snuck Ben. Did you see the push that Davenport (and Faneca) put on Ben to move the pile to first down yardage? That was AWESOME... The pile just kept moving until you had NO doubt that he had made the yardage for the first down.

LOVED IT!

Mike

memphissteelergirl
10-22-2007, 09:58 AM

:thumbsup: :iagree:

Lord Stiller
10-22-2007, 09:59 AM
Could you imagine if we still had a QB like Maddox in there yesterday? :jawdrop:

Probably would have been sacked 10-15 times, half a dozen picks and fumbles

HometownGal
10-22-2007, 10:25 AM
Could you imagine if we still had a QB like Maddox in there yesterday? :jawdrop:

Probably would have been sacked 10-15 times, half a dozen picks and fumbles

:yawn::yawn::coffee:

Indy_Steelers
10-22-2007, 03:01 PM
OK. The O line can only do so much. Ben can not hold the ball for 10 seconds, he needs to get rid of it or run with it. I have played O line and I hated to pass block for that reason. We were always taught that the QB should have the ball for less than 5 seconds. It is not that I do not like Ben I just think that he is better than this and that is why I am frustrated. We have all seen just how good he can be. He did rebound well in the game and am am glad he decided to run a few times, that kept the LBs in check. The O line is good but not great but they are good enough. I am not too upset with the loss for many reasons but I do hope we rebound and get the next three games.

p.s.-THANK YOU BILLS!!!

TackleMeBen
10-22-2007, 03:14 PM
we all know that the oline can do much better. the question is how much longer is it going to take for them to show up and actually play to the level we know.

is it me or have you all noticed that since last year ben dont run as much when there is no play. i was watching superbowl xl and he was running a few times and making some good plays by running the ball himself instead of throwing it into triple coverage or something stupid.

iloveben7
10-22-2007, 03:43 PM
Ben deserves major props for yesterday's game. He didn't give up at all and basically almost won the game for us in the 4th quarter.

The O-line was HORRIBLE. They gave up on so many plays. I remember the one play at the end of the 2nd quarter, Ben was running around trying to find open recievers and holes to run and the O-line touched their guy like once and watched him run after Ben and sack him. It's like after they block their guy for one second they let him go after Ben. Ben is such a great scrambler and he had to block defenders all by himself, while trying to throw the ball. Ben didn't have an amazing game, but I thought it was one of his best this season because he had SO much pressure on him and the one interception wasn't even his fault.

I also thought the Broncos should've gotten a 15 yard penalty late in the 2nd quarter when like 4 guys sacked Ben and then after the whistle they threw him down and his neck almost snapped. They are lucky they didn't hurt Ben.

I'm sorry, I don't usually blame a game on one person or one group of players, but this game was the O-line's fault.

Preacher
10-22-2007, 03:55 PM
In the end...

Ben put the team on his back and walked them into a tie...

21 points in the second half. Not bad.

Indy_Steelers
10-22-2007, 03:55 PM
Ben deserves major props for yesterday's game. He didn't give up at all and basically almost won the game for us in the 4th quarter.

The O-line was HORRIBLE. They gave up on so many plays. I remember the one play at the end of the 2nd quarter, Ben was running around trying to find open recievers and holes to run and the O-line touched their guy like once and watched him run after Ben and sack him. It's like after they block their guy for one second they let him go after Ben. Ben is such a great scrambler and he had to block defenders all by himself, while trying to throw the ball. Ben didn't have an amazing game, but I thought it was one of his best this season because he had SO much pressure on him and the one interception wasn't even his fault.

I also thought the Broncos should've gotten a 15 yard penalty late in the 2nd quarter when like 4 guys sacked Ben and then after the whistle they threw him down and his neck almost snapped. They are lucky they didn't hurt Ben.

I'm sorry, I don't usually blame a game on one person or one group of players, but this game was the O-line's fault.

Ben has to get rid of the ball or run.:dang:

Indy_Steelers
10-22-2007, 03:57 PM
In the end...

Ben put the team on his back and walked them into a tie...

21 points in the second half. Not bad.

And the O-Line gave him what he needed to get it done. Good team effort.:thumbsup:

iloveben7
10-22-2007, 03:59 PM
^You can't blame Ben for holding onto the ball for so long because look how successful he was in his first 2 years for holding onto the ball. You can't just throw the ball away everytime because you have to make plays.

Indy_Steelers
10-22-2007, 04:01 PM
is it me or have you all noticed that since last year ben dont run as much when there is no play. i was watching superbowl xl and he was running a few times and making some good plays by running the ball himself instead of throwing it into triple coverage or something stupid.

I am asking the same question. I think he has some pretty good wheels. When he ran in the second half last night it opend up the short passing game and the running game followed.

RUN BEN RUN, if it is there.

Preacher
10-22-2007, 04:06 PM
And the O-Line gave him what he needed to get it done. Good team effort.:thumbsup:

Not really...

Ben had to step aside, step up, run, step back, etc. etc. etc. WAY too many times.

stillers4me
10-22-2007, 04:12 PM
Not really...

Ben had to step aside, step up, run, step back, etc. etc. etc. WAY too many times.

He does it well....but my blood pressure goes up every time I see him having to do it......again. :dang:

FOOTEupyourarse
10-22-2007, 04:57 PM
he got hit a couple of times because he held on to the ball too long and you cant expect the o-line to hold their blocks too long but i think we all expect them to atleast hold them for more than 2 seconds! they need to step it up from here on out

Preacher
10-22-2007, 04:59 PM
he got hit a couple of times because he held on to the ball too long and you cant expect the o-line to hold their blocks too long but i think we all expect them to atleast hold them for more than 2 seconds! they need to step it up from here on out

Should hold it for at least 3 seconds.

steelpride12
10-22-2007, 05:05 PM
If is wasn't for Ben being very good at breaking tackles and giving himself time we would be in a worse situation. I love that he can do that def. last night when Denver was all over our O-line who had a terrible game. Ben did what he could and the one pick was not his fault and he brought us back, relied on the denfense, but the mistakes earlier in the game hurt us!

steelkills
10-22-2007, 07:30 PM
I DONT GIVE A CRAP HOW THE GAME STARTED, WITH 2 MINUTES LEFT,BEN LED AN 80 YRD DRIVE TO TIE THE GAME, INT'S OR NOT,IT WAS TIED PEOPLE. AT THAT POINT HE DID HIS JOB, THE DEFENSE PLAIN STUNK, THEY BLEW IT IN THE END, HE WAS AWESOME AND DIDN WHAT NO OTHER AND I REPEAtTNO OTHER QB UNDER THAT PRESSURE COULD HAVE DONE INCLUDING MANNING OR BRADY. WE ALL SEEN WHAT MANNING AND BRADY DID AGAINST US IN THE GAMES THEY LOST TO US WHEN THEY WERE UNDER THE TYPE OF PRESSURE BEN WAS UNDER LAST NIGHT, THEY FOLDED LIKE A CHEAP SUIT AND YES, THEY LOST, IT WASNT EVEN NEARLY AS CLOSE AS IT WAS LAST NIGHT, SO ALL YOU BEN BASHERS SHUT YOUR BLOW HOLE!!!:banging:

Preacher
10-23-2007, 12:51 PM
I DONT GIVE A CRAP HOW THE GAME STARTED, WITH 2 MINUTES LEFT,BEN LED AN 80 YRD DRIVE TO TIE THE GAME, INT'S OR NOT,IT WAS TIED PEOPLE. AT THAT POINT HE DID HIS JOB, THE DEFENSE PLAIN STUNK, THEY BLEW IT IN THE END, HE WAS AWESOME AND DIDN WHAT NO OTHER AND I REPEAtTNO OTHER QB UNDER THAT PRESSURE COULD HAVE DONE INCLUDING MANNING OR BRADY. WE ALL SEEN WHAT MANNING AND BRADY DID AGAINST US IN THE GAMES THEY LOST TO US WHEN THEY WERE UNDER THE TYPE OF PRESSURE BEN WAS UNDER LAST NIGHT, THEY FOLDED LIKE A CHEAP SUIT AND YES, THEY LOST, IT WASNT EVEN NEARLY AS CLOSE AS IT WAS LAST NIGHT, SO ALL YOU BEN BASHERS SHUT YOUR BLOW HOLE!!!:banging:

http://www.learnntc.com/tools/ComputerBasics/computerTenRules.cfm

:Line three please!

(It applies to more then just emails!)

BurghZ0n3
10-23-2007, 01:04 PM
Hmm...our last drive reminded me of Maddox, when we're down at the last few minutes. We scored 8 points at the end of the drive and won in the playoff against BROWNS....I think Maddox managed the clock well until the last few seocnds, so the opp (motored by Arians back then) wouldn't have enough time to come back for a score....:computer:

steel striker
10-23-2007, 08:23 PM
On a night where our defense did not play up to par and, we did have three turnovers we still almost won the game. Ben had us right there at the end and, I think the play calling in the first half cost us the most. I know Champ is not playing so we throw more like the 03 steelers. It is too easy to seat here and complain about it so, Sunday it is all about the bungals. We need to forget the last game and play steelers football which is a balanced attack. If our o line does their job Ben has showed he is a very effective QB. It is not time too push the panic button we just need to regroup and, come out and crush the bungals! Plus Willie almost broke two or three of the runs big time we must show more faith in our ground game.
Give Ben some credit here I know two picks and a fumble but, one of the picks was tipped. It seems to me we our the only team that can't have turnovers and win. Look at the Dallas - Bills game 5 int's for Romo and they still win. If was not for Ben making plays in the second half that game could have been real ugly. I know it was bad enough and, this week we stop the bleeding and get back to steeler football.

Striker

Rob64
10-23-2007, 09:22 PM
I don't care whoi the QB is. If Brady faced the pressue Ben does he would be very average. Ben handles it great and his escapeability is a big plus with the way the line is playing.