PDA

View Full Version : 10 thoughts on the game

lamberts-lost-tooth
10-22-2007, 10:39 AM
Just some thoughts on the game last night.

1) I thought that Tomlin made some good adjustments in the second half, but our offensive gameplan was weak.

2) If I had to hear Madden call our Coach.."Tomlinson" one more time I may have had to poke my eye out with a rusty fork.

3) Jay Cutler is going to be special

4) If I had to see 5'10 190 lbs Deshea Townsend try and arm tackle 6'4 237 lbs Brandon Marshall again.....well...(see #2...other eye.)

5) We are still winning the division...I could care less if we go 10-6...11-5...12-4...as long as we PEAK when the playoff starts.

6) I may never learn that asking my wife to "watch football" with me translates through the female filter as: "sit with me while the game is one and lets talk about the kids...the bills...your work...my work...your family...your friends...church...siding the house...cleaning the gutters....having a cookout next weekend....your upcoming scrapbooking party...shopping...your hair....your weight...my weight.... and the occasional comment that 'you cant be listening if your not looking at me'...etc"

7) Harrison is very prone to biting on the pump fake, but his playing speed is also faster than he gets credit for.

8) I have wore my Lambert throwback jersey to work twice this year...one on the day of the Arizona game, and the other yesterday. Going back to #36 until I can get the tainted jersey to my local shaman and have him sprinkle holy water on it while doing the Hokey-Pokey.

9) Those who say we never use our Tight Ends can now shut up. Miller is as good as anyone in the game and Spaeth has great hands, catches everything away from his body and pulls it in very smooth.

10) We , of the Steelers Nation are a finicky emotional bunch.....I hope this morning you have all joined me in getting over our ritual after-loss grumpiness, have took a deep breath and are getting everything back into perspective.

moedap
10-22-2007, 10:46 AM
#6 is funny because that is what happened to me last night. Although at 21-7 my wife left the room to get away from my tantrums.

WisconsinSteelerMan
10-22-2007, 10:48 AM
Great Post, LLT...

I especially liked point #6. Why is it that the wife and kids find THAT particular moment to want to get up into your face... Drives me NUTS...

I love our tight end sets, too.

My major thought is that if you take away our turnovers, we would have WON that game. Sloppy play and play calling and all!

Mike in La Crosse, WI

memphissteelergirl
10-22-2007, 10:51 AM
Good observations, LLT..especially #5 and #9. :thumbsup:

Kittyfish
10-22-2007, 10:51 AM
Hey - not all wives are like #6. (Though that was pretty funny) Some of us want to watch the game more than our husbands do. Just saying.

I liked #8 as well. We all have our little superstitions that help our team, don't we? I take full credit for the win over Seattle - I noticed if I played Solitaire on the computer, we did well. If I got up and sat down to watch the game proper, we messed up. So I spent 3 hours playing Solitaire and listening to the game instead. I guess I should have tried playing Solitaire last night - couldn't have hurt!

moedap
10-22-2007, 10:55 AM
Hey - not all wives are like #6. (Though that was pretty funny) Some of us want to watch the game more than our husbands do. Just saying.

Kittyfish start a blog for wives and husbands of Steelers fans to inform them of how to behave while a Steelers game is on.

Kittyfish
10-22-2007, 10:57 AM
Heh - that's easy. Go away and leave me alone and do your best to ignore the shouting, cheering and cursing from the next room. When the game is over, come back in and celebrate our victory or mourn our loss with me, depending on how the game went. :-D

KYSteelersfan
10-22-2007, 10:58 AM
Personally, I absolutely love #8. I also agree with what everybody says about #6. That's why I went to the bedroom, locked to door and DARED anybody to knock while crying over our defense.

The defense just seemed to be flat last night. We didn't blitz as much as usual, we only had 1 interception, no forced fumbles, and gave up sooooo many 3rd and long plays it was pathetic. *sigh* Oh well, let's get ready to stomp the Bungles in the ground this Sunday

paw-n-maul-u
10-22-2007, 11:04 AM
You nailed some awesome points.

Your #'s 2, 4, 5, and 9 probably make up the things I distinctly remember from the game and/or pissed me off the most. They are probably #'s 2,3,4, and 5 (in no particular order), in my book. However, the # 1 biggest thing I remember from last night was how bad the O-line was.

We need a good draft so badly. I really like this year's draft, LB was an obv. need... Sepulveda-awesome
Speath-turns out to be a beast redzone target, think we got a real steal.
Gay-made the roster, wish we'd see a little more of him maybe, impressive in preseason.

All these seem like great SKILL position players with loads of potential.

But we all know this game is won in the trenches. The o-line is atrocious. Seriously, I've been so impressed with Bens escaping ability/making things happen when the pocket breaks down this year.

On the flip side. The o-line makes me want to puke. Not just sometimes, but usually all the time. The pocket breaks down on ben wayyyyyyyyy too much, how many times do you see him shrug off a defender ... duck underneath another defender ... then do some little tip-toe/spin move to get by ANOTHER defender, then run out of the pocket and complete a pass?

"Ohhhh, Ahhhhh, That was so awesome by ben." But in the back of your mind, don't you ever think, man, he has to do that WAY too much.

And I don't even want to think of what it's going to be like next year when faneca is gone. Hes the best run blocker in the league, we run over the left on faneca and smiths side, mmm ALL the time.

Not only do we need to use atleast two first day picks next year on the o-line, (I would be satisfied if we just took one in the first), but we need to NAIL the picks, and get an immediate starter, not some two year project bullshit. Do some reshuffling or something also, i dunno, ANYTHING.

There are no joke like, four or five joe thomas's in this years draft. If we pass up on the o-line in the first day of the draft next year, I'm gonna probably think about becoming a patriots fan.***

***JK, I wouldn't do that even if i could pick up all of Tom Brady's baby's-momma leftovers.

tony hipchest
10-22-2007, 11:05 AM
2) If I had to hear Madden call our Coach.."Tomlinson" one more time I may have had to poke my eye out with a rusty fork.

9) Those who say we never use our Tight Ends can now shut up. Miller is as good as anyone in the game and Spaeth has great hands, catches everything away from his body and pulls it in very smooth.

you mean Tim Spaeth, right? :dang: i usually like al michaels, but after the superbowl, him or madden cant go out of their way to say something positive (or even correct) about the steelers.

MasterOfPuppets
10-22-2007, 11:10 AM
# 6

thats what bars are for...:thumbsup:

ps...throwing ash trays at annoying redskin fans , is frowned upon...:shake01:

CantStop85
10-22-2007, 11:11 AM
4) If I had to see 5'10 190 lbs Deshea Townsend try and arm tackle 6'4 237 lbs Rasheed Marshall again.....well...(see #2...other eye.)

Brandon Marshall...Rasheed Marshall plays for St. Louis...just like Tim Spaeth plays for the Steelers. :wink02:

lamberts-lost-tooth
10-22-2007, 11:12 AM
you mean Tim Spaeth, right? :dang: i usually like al michaels, but after the superbowl, him or madden cant go out of their way to say something positive (or even correct) about the steelers.

I caught that also....would have been nice if they would have payed as much attention to getting names correct, as they did to their weird obsession with the replay of Willie hitting the camera and it going to "green screen"....:hunch:

lamberts-lost-tooth
10-22-2007, 11:16 AM
Brandon Marshall...Rasheed Marshall plays for St. Louis...just like Tim Spaeth plays for the Steelers. :wink02:

Your right....(but if I was a commentator and got paid to get the names right..or a Head Coach and got paid to check player backgrounds...I would do it...)

HometownGal
10-22-2007, 11:24 AM
Good post LLT! :thumbsup:

I can deal with Madden and Michaels - they make the occcasional fubar but know their stuff for the most part. It's Collinsworth-less that gets the shoe, slipper, whatever I have in my hand - the moment he opens that garbage dump he calls a mouth.

I agree with the majority of what you stated, but especially with #10. OK - we lost the battle - now let's get behind our Steelers and the coaching staff and get ready to head to PBS to hunt down some Bungle. :tt02:

lamberts-lost-tooth
10-22-2007, 11:53 AM
Good post LLT! :thumbsup:

I can deal with Madden and Michaels - they make the occcasional fubar but know their stuff for the most part. It's Collinsworth-less that gets the shoe, slipper, whatever I have in my hand - the moment he opens that garbage dump he calls a mouth.

I agree with the majority of what you stated, but especially with #10. OK - we lost the battle - now let's get behind our Steelers and the coaching staff and get ready to head to PBS to hunt down some Bungle. :tt02:

OHHHH you are preaching to the choir!!!...Chris Collinsworth is a tool of the first order...he says in one week that the pats are Cheaters and he wanted BB suspended ..then turns around and says they are the best team he as EVER seen the next week...DUH!!! Put 2 & 2 together!!!

He has to be related to Marvin Lewis.

BurghZ0n3
10-22-2007, 12:43 PM
Madden's mind is still taunted & choked up with the Immaculate reception...after all these decades!!!! We will strive to Playoff....:tt02::tt02::tt02:

thebus36idf
10-22-2007, 12:56 PM
Great job. You gave me a little something to smile about, after last nights game. I would like to add one #11 If I see Ben in a shotgun on short yardage situations when we have Najeh Davenport sitting on the sidelines, against a defense thats giving up yardage on the ground week in and week out I'm going to stick that rusty fork in my Neck!

Edman
10-22-2007, 12:56 PM
The Defense had a bad game. They've been the most consistent unit on the team so far this year. They put up a bad performance, but I'm willing to write this off as a fluke.

The O-Line however, is no excuse. They have been the achillies heel of the Steelers for quite some time now. Even during the 2005 Super Bowl year. Redundant or not, it's a FACT that the Steelers need to explore O-Line next offseason. Draft a few strong guards and maybe a tackle.

The window of opportunity is still there for these Steelers to win in this decade. They have the talent at QB to take them over the top, don't waste our most competant QB in years by neglecting the O-Line.

memphissteelergirl
10-22-2007, 01:20 PM
The Defense had a bad game. They've been the most consistent unit on the team so far this year. They put up a bad performance, but I'm willing to write this off as a fluke.

The O-Line however, is no excuse. They have been the achillies heel of the Steelers for quite some time now. Even during the 2005 Super Bowl year. Redundant or not, it's a FACT that the Steelers need to explore O-Line next offseason. Draft a few strong guards and maybe a tackle.

The window of opportunity is still there for these Steelers to win in this decade. They have the talent at QB to take them over the top, don't waste our most competant QB in years by neglecting the O-Line.

Amen, brother!! :cheers::thumbsup:

Indy_Steelers
10-22-2007, 04:41 PM
Just some thoughts on the game last night.

1) I thought that Tomlin made some good adjustments in the second half, but our offensive game plan was weak.

3) Jay Cutler is going to be special

4) If I had to see 5'10 190 lbs Deshea Townsend try and arm tackle 6'4 237 lbs Brandon Marshall again.....well...(see #2...other eye.)

5) We are still winning the division...I could care less if we go 10-6...11-5...12-4...as long as we PEAK when the playoff starts.

6) I may never learn that asking my wife to "watch football" with me translates through the female filter as: "sit with me while the game is one and lets talk about the kids...the bills...your work...my work...your family...your friends...church...siding the house...cleaning the gutters....having a cookout next weekend....your upcoming scrap booking party...shopping...your hair....your weight...my weight.... and the occasional comment that 'you cant be listening if your not looking at me'...etc"

7) Harrison is very prone to biting on the pump fake, but his playing speed is also faster than he gets credit for.

8) I have wore my Lambert throwback jersey to work twice this year...one on the day of the Arizona game, and the other yesterday. Going back to #36 until I can get the tainted jersey to my local shaman and have him sprinkle holy water on it while doing the Hokey-Pokey.

10) We , of the Steelers Nation are a finicky emotional bunch.....I hope this morning you have all joined me in getting over our ritual after-loss grumpiness, have took a deep breath and are getting everything back into perspective.

I have to agree with them all:cheers:
especially #6:toofunny:
As far as #8-I have brought my wife and kids with me to watch two games and we lost them both. I love them with all my being but...:wink02:

Counselor
10-22-2007, 05:19 PM
Nice list----I will just say, I agree with most everything except:

# 3---I'm not sold on Cutler yet. Though I believe he will be the best of the three (Lienert/Young/Culter)

#6 ---- I respectfully mention that I'm a "wife" who is more into the Steelers, and football in general, than my husband. There are a lot of us out there----you could have found one of us---but no, you married your wife because you loved her. So you just have to deal with it. ;)

# 8----phew, I'm glad it was you---I thought that I caused the bad karma by not wearing my heath miller jersey. The only other game I didn't wear it was the Arizona game (where I wore my old Porter Jersey---after Arizona I retired that one)

steelpride12
10-22-2007, 06:01 PM
Great observations, and yes i agree def. with #10 we are emotional fans because we love and care about our team more than anyone.

I also feel that our defense couldn't get much going letting them drive down the field and score 21 points which is not like our 9.4 points a game.

There well planned screen plays when we blitzed worked to perfection and we could work on covering that better!

Boomerang
10-22-2007, 07:51 PM
#6# is a classic, been there before. Could be worse, she could be a closet Bungles fan:jawdrop:

NV STEELERS 723
10-22-2007, 08:00 PM

Thats because Madden still sees Franco running to the endzone after making the immaculate reception!

Preacher
10-22-2007, 08:01 PM
Funny.

#6 is exactly what happened to me last night! I told my wife, "Is this REALLY the right time to discuss this."

steelersfanmx
10-22-2007, 08:06 PM
My wife is a Broncos fan.. so well.. sunday night almost ends in a divorce...! :argue:

NV STEELERS 723
10-22-2007, 08:12 PM
Great list.....#6 LMFAO !!!!!! My wife adopted the STEELERS when we married ..I think she knew it would make much more peaceful home...she knows better than to start that "yack" w/ me while I'm watching my beloved STEELERS...

I did sleep crappy...kept thinking we didn't run the ball enough, and we left too much time for them to score in the last minute...

But we have the "arrest warrants" this week ,and I'm sure we'll remind them that they suck...my buddy from work is a Bunghole fan and we have our annual 12-pack wager...Beer always taste better when someone else buys!!!!!!!!!!

GO STEELERS!!!!!!!

lamberts-lost-tooth
10-23-2007, 08:52 AM
As far as #8-I have brought my wife and kids with me to watch two games and we lost them both.

When I first read this I had to ask myself.....The wife and kids...or the games!!!!!:sofunny::sofunny: