PDA

View Full Version : Sorry Last nights game begs the question

thebus36idf
10-22-2007, 12:32 PM
Still think we can beat New England or the Colts, or even the Jags. Suddenly I'm very worried. However I can remember very well a Steelers team whom didn't seem to have a prayer at the playoffs let alone a Championchip. Bye weeks kill us, so we don't want one in the playoffs anyway.:banging::dang:

BlastFurnace
10-22-2007, 12:38 PM
At this stage of the season, we are clearly below the Patriots and Colts...and by a large margin. If we play that kind of soft coverage against Brady, he will put 40-50 on us.

I think we are on the second echelon of good teams in the AFC....which means that we can be great, but we are very inconsistent and lose to teams that we have no business losing to. I think that many teams fall into this category...including Jacksonville.

IMO, the next 3 games will greatly define our season and playoff implications. We can pull away from the division or we can fall right back into the pack and it's a dogfight the rest of the way. I don't want to have to go to Baltimore for the last game of the season to decide if we make the playoffs or not.

This team has talent, but the "want to" needs to be there every game...and right now...we are seeing that it's not always that way. That's the difference between us and New England and Indianapolis.

Mosca
10-22-2007, 12:51 PM
I agree 100%, BF. I think that the dominance ("want to") was missing from the first half of last night's game. Half the Pat's act is the same as Mike Tyson's was; "Oh woe is us, how are we going to stay on the field/in the ring with them/him?" And it works. We need to have that same quiet power.

Atlanta Dan
10-22-2007, 01:05 PM
Last night's game was the first time I began to fear Arians rep of wanting to take the Steelers back to the pass first mentality of 2003 might have some merit. If he pulls a similar game plan out against the Bengals IMO there will be cause to be concerned about where he has the offense heading.

The D was rotten as well (hard to say how much of taht was due to teh loss of Aaron Smith), but that first half performance by the O was abysmal. As Madden said, Tomlin is still learning how to be a HC, so there are going to be bumpy moments throughout this year (although wasting time outs on foolish replay challenges needs to end now).

I will just enjoy the season and hopefully a playoff berth. It is a long way to January, but any idea the Steelers will stay within 10 points of New England in Foxborough is nonsense at the moment

HometownGal
10-22-2007, 01:10 PM
Do I think it's possible? Yes. In the NFL anything is possible.

If the performances on both sides of the ball clone last night's game, no - most definitely not. (I don't see that happening though).

moedap
10-22-2007, 02:10 PM
Yes, unless football games are decided by hype now.

We played one shitty game. We're perfectly capable of beating any of those teams. They're nowhere near invincible, much as the media wants them to be.

N.E. and the Colts arent invincible but they are clearly the best in the business right now as much as it pains me to say it. The Pats and the Colts have bad possessions but not bad games plus as mentioned earlier they are consistent in their "goodness" whereas we seem to be consistent in our inconsistency(is that a word?!).

Haiku_Dirtt
10-22-2007, 02:26 PM
Last night's game was the first time I began to fear Arians rep of wanting to take the Steelers back to the pass first mentality of 2003 might have some merit. If he pulls a similar game plan out against the Bengals IMO there will be cause to be concerned about where he has the offense heading.

The D was rotten as well (hard to say how much of taht was due to teh loss of Aaron Smith), but that first half performance by the O was abysmal. As Madden said, Tomlin is still learning how to be a HC, so there are going to be bumpy moments throughout this year (although wasting time outs on foolish replay challenges needs to end now).

I will just enjoy the season and hopefully a playoff berth. It is a long way to January, but any idea the Steelers will stay within 10 points of New England in Foxborough is nonsense at the moment

And what a shocker that we lost in the final seconds in Denver to a Bronco team coming off a bye after three consecutive losses. Um. Not shocked at all.

IN FACT that we played so freaking flat and then poorly and still almost pulled it off on the road leaves me with an UNCHANGED opinion of this team.

We'll make the playoffs. That's it.

Maybe the Fed can step in and prevent our O-line from going into foreclosure. I'd like to liquidate.

slippy
10-22-2007, 02:51 PM
i'll say it again, we have an average pass blocking line.

if we don't get the running game going we can't sit back there and pass all day without getting sacked or stripped. brady and manning have all day to pass.

right now, we are the third or fourth best team in the afc (san diego appears to be coming on).

win the division! this is something we can do. and then hopefully peak for the playoffs.

Lord Stiller
10-22-2007, 03:01 PM
i'll say it again, we have an average pass blocking line.

LOL

are you serious?

looks well below average to me

thebus36idf
10-22-2007, 03:12 PM
Response to games aren't won on hype, and N.E., Colts aren't invincible

Last I looked New England looked pretty invincible. Thet certainly haven't had near the miscues we've had. Come on the media is hyping them up pretty good. I might even be buying into it not because they say so, but did you see brady and those receivers yesterday. Lets not putour head in the sand and act like they aren't as good as people say.

tony hipchest
10-22-2007, 03:13 PM
the question i have is how bad would it have been if the broncos had a healthy champ bailey and javon walker?

how bad would the loss arizona have been with a healthy boldin?

the scenario of winning a tiebreaker with the patriots will not even come up. and right now looking at a 3 or 4 seed may be too ambitious. the ravens and jaguars are right there with us, and denver is only 1 game back and have the tiebreaker.

cincinatti's superbowl is played next week, and after that we will have a refreshed raven team with 2 weeks study time for the steelers.

i hope to see the steelers play with a sense of urgency like the broncos did last night, from here on out. the ravens may decide to quit doing us favors by losing (especially when they play us).

Counselor
10-22-2007, 04:01 PM
the question i have is how bad would it have been if the broncos had a healthy champ bailey and javon walker?

how bad would the loss arizona have been with a healthy boldin?

the scenario of winning a tiebreaker with the patriots will not even come up. and right now looking at a 3 or 4 seed may be too ambitious. the ravens and jaguars are right there with us, and denver is only 1 game back and have the tiebreaker.

cincinatti's superbowl is played next week, and after that we will have a refreshed raven team with 2 weeks study time for the steelers.

i hope to see the steelers play with a sense of urgency like the broncos did last night, from here on out. the ravens may decide to quit doing us favors by losing (especially when they play us).

Tony you sound like the sky is falling. Its not the presence of absence of those stars that made a difference.

You are correct that we're having touble beating teams that "want it more"---that have an emotional advantage. Motivation has always been an issue---ie why the Steelers do better as an underdog, than the favorite. That said, they will have plenty of motivation against the division teams.

I am hopeful that Tomlin's coaching will eventually even the team out emotionally----then we'll be able to win as the favorite. But we still have risidual "cowher" energy. Tthere is a reaon why his teams could never win home AFC championship games---because they didn't handle being "the favorite" well. (Lets face it---we were nearly as strong of favorites this week as NE was---which is why I knew we were doomed:)

This is an "any given sunday" league----as witnessed on many occasions the first few weeks . I think we'll win the divison, but even if we don't the goal is making the playoffs---if we do that, no harm to foul. In the recent past the teams with the best regular season records don't win the superbowl. (Steelers '04, Colts '04, Chargers '06). No need to worry just yet.

FOOTEupyourarse
10-22-2007, 04:49 PM
no one team is invincible! yes, i think we can beat the patriots, colts, jags, etc. you have to outplay your opponent. that is what denver did to us last night and we are a much better team than they are but the beat us. it still hurts today!

steelpride12
10-22-2007, 04:53 PM
We must play smart and clock managing play against the elite teams to have a chance. We have to have the heart like we did against the Hawks and the skill like we had against the browns.

We have to come out every week like we have something to prove, like were 0-6 and have no chance. We need motivation and we crave on people downing us saying were not good enough. Were a A+ caliber team and some weeks we prove it and some weeks we go out slow and its ends in a big L!

The inconsistance kills me. I never know what Steeler team im going to see. The perfect steelers witht there backs against the wall against Seattle with injurys, or the Steelers that have mostly everyone healthy, but still play terrible due to what? Lack of care, no heart, no will, i can tell you one thing Denver wanted it more than us, and we got what we deserved!

tony hipchest
10-22-2007, 04:53 PM
Tony you sound like the sky is falling. Its not the presence of absence of those stars that made a difference.

This is an "any given sunday" league----as witnessed on many occasions the first few weeks . I think we'll win the divison, but even if we don't the goal is making the playoffs---if we do that, no harm to foul. In the recent past the teams with the best regular season records don't win the superbowl. (Steelers '04, Colts '04, Chargers '06). No need to worry just yet.the steelers rode this way of thinking all the way into game 9 last season. then with a record of 2-6 and being left for dead, they found out it was the time to worry. last year, if we win the early games against the bungles or falcons, we beat KC in a tie breaker (courtesy of an early victory), and we make it to the playoffs at 9-7.

so the sky definitely isnt falling, but the facts are facts. ravens and jaguars have as many wins as the steelers. the broncos have 1 less.

the patriots, colts, and chargers are gonna make the playoffs. ravens, jags, broncos, and steelers will most likely be fighting it out for the final 3 spots.

facing the reality of the situation doesnt mean someone is panicing.

revefsreleets
10-22-2007, 07:43 PM
We lost to a bad team on the road, and it's not the first time we've done that this season. I gave the Steelers a pass once on this issue, but when a mistake or whatever you choose to call it is repeated without the lesson being learned, it's cause for concern.

It seems to me that some people are rationalizing by attributing more worth to the Denver Broncos then they deserve. Please remember that this is a team that had 2 wins prior to this, and they were both determined in the last seconds. Those wins came against the Bills and the Raiders. And we were down to this team 21-7. A team with a patchwork OL and their best cover corner out. The WR corp of the Bronco's was elite at one time, but last night? Um, no.

If we were playing NE or Indy on the road next week, we'd be 21 point dogs and we'd deserve to be. We have yet to prove that we can beat bad teams on the road, and until we do, this is not a quality football team.

Atlanta Dan
10-22-2007, 07:53 PM
We lost to a bad team on the road, and it's not the first time we've done that this season. I gave the Steelers a pass once on this issue, but when a mistake or whatever you choose to call it is repeated without the lesson being learned, it's cause for concern.

It seems to me that some people are rationalizing by attributing more worth to the Denver Broncos then they deserve. Please remember that this is a team that had 2 wins prior to this, and they were both determined in the last seconds. Those wins came against the Bills and the Raiders. And we were down to this team 21-7. A team with a patchwork OL and their best cover corner out. The WR corp of the Bronco's was elite at one time, but last night? Um, no.

If we were playing NE or Indy on the road next week, we'd be 21 point dogs and we'd deserve to be. We have yet to prove that we can beat bad teams on the road, and until we do, this is not a quality football team.

:iagree: although +17 appears to be the ceiling on Pats pointspreads so far

But FWIW 13-3 probably is a number 3 seed in the AFC this year, so just winning the AFC North or West with a lesser record gets the same result - a first round home game and a ticket to Indy or Foxborough. The Steelers have 10 weeks to improve.

For that reason I do not think last night had any real impact on whether and where the Steelers will be playing in January - but lose to Cincinnati and the season starts taking a definite turn for the worse.

revefsreleets
10-22-2007, 07:57 PM
There won't be any rationalization left if we lose to Cincy. But I can't envision us losing that game.

BlastFurnace
10-22-2007, 08:30 PM
There won't be any rationalization left if we lose to Cincy. But I can't envision us losing that game.

If our defense plays like it did last night, Palmer will put up 35 on us.

revefsreleets
10-22-2007, 08:45 PM
Yeah, but the Bengals don't play defense. If it's talent versus talent, we should light them up for 50.

Davison_K
10-22-2007, 11:14 PM
The Steelers played a good second half. You all seem to forget that Pittsburgh (mainly Ben) had 3 turnovers. ALL three were answered by Denver touchdowns. Did our defense play its best game? Far from it, but the NFL hasn't changed that much from last year, or any year before that, if you turn the ball over too much, you loose the game. It doesn't matter how well you play otherwise. This wasn't all Ben's fault though. Our oline was god awful, and the play calling was less than stellar. ESPECIALLY with the way FWP was playing. Willie could have had a field day if they gave him the carries. He showed it when he did touch the ball. We were running the football down their throat even with 8 guys in the box. We passed when we should have ran and we ran when we should have passed. It was just dumb.

Now to answer your question. Can we beat the Pats, Colts, and/or Jags? It is surely possible when we play to our abilities. Do I find it likely? No.

Yeah, but the Bengals don't play defense. If it's talent versus talent, we should light them up for 50.

The Bengals are a far more talented team on offense. It is a good thing Henry won't be back next week. That gives us hope even if our defense plays as poorly as it did against Denver.

Edman
10-22-2007, 11:18 PM
If we don't turn the freaking ball over, then yes we can at least compete the Pats and Colts. At this point I don't know if the Steelers can beat them. Those two are just clicking right now. Lack of execution killed the Steelers last night. The Broncs capitalized on our mistakes. 3 turnovers? Seriously now.

Oh well, what's the point of rooting for the Steelers if they aren't going anywhere this season? I mean, it's obviously going to come down to the Pats and Colts in the AFC this year. Time to hang it up and call it a season. Why? Because this team all of the sudden blows, we have a rookie coach, and the Pats and Colts are invincible. NO WAY in hell they beat them. I'd advise you you all do the same, and just give up. /sarcasm/

Look what beating up everyone in 2004 en route to 15-1 did for the Steelers in 2004. I'm going to wait a couple more weeks and see what this team does in December and January before labeling them anything.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
10-22-2007, 11:52 PM
The next three weeks will give us a better understanding of our chances in making the playoffs

Steel Pit
10-23-2007, 01:08 AM
no one team is invincible! yes, i think we can beat the patriots, colts, jags, etc. you have to outplay your opponent. that is what denver did to us last night and we are a much better team than they are but the beat us. it still hurts today!

I think that the Steelers can beat any one of the aforementioned teams BUT at this point I don't believe that they can beat ALL of them and that may be the ingredients necessary in order to cook up another Super Bowl win.

Galax Steeler
10-23-2007, 03:36 AM
We have to rebound starting with the bengals we could be a team that could make a run in the playoffs but our offensive line needs to improve and we need fewer turnovers than what we had against denver we can play ball.

revefsreleets
10-23-2007, 08:13 AM
The Bengals are a far more talented team on offense. It is a good thing Henry won't be back next week. That gives us hope even if our defense plays as poorly as it did against Denver.

The oline of the Bengals is overrated. They have a slight edge in talent at a couple skill positions. We have the better RB and TE. And by talent versus talent, I mean our good defense against their good offense, and our good offense against their nonexistant defense.

TapOut64
10-23-2007, 01:38 PM
Definitely can beat the Jags, it would take high winds and snow to beat the Patriots.

SteelDogFan
10-23-2007, 08:02 PM
The Steelers will still win the division and host a wild card game. I hope.