PDA

View Full Version : "Fair weather fans."

augustashark
10-23-2007, 01:56 AM
I love it when someone says they are upset with the coaching or play calling, or if a player is overrated that they are pointed out as "fair weather" or "bandwagon" fans.

I was very pissed at how we played last night. We were beat by a team that:

A. Was missing their best two players.

B. Beat two very bad teams by last second FG's.

C. That has one of the worst run D's in the NFL!

I agree that Denver's back was up against the wall and it was a must win game for them. We however (if were as good as we think we are) should be able to go into Mile high and win.

Our two losses came against below .500 ball clubs! You can't do that and expect to win the SB!

We as fans can only keep saying "You can't win them all" or "we have time to fix the problems" for so long. Remember, that 2005 team was a once a decade kind of run, maybe once a generation. We can't think that we can just turn it on when we have to. It does'nt work that way in the NFL!

I'm very worried about this team, and I don't care if we win in Cincinnati next week, that will not change anything. Until we can go on the road and beat a good team I will stay worried.

Oh yea, call me what you want for being very pissed at what happen last night. I don't have to justify to anyone what kind of fan I am, nor do any of you.

Michael Keller
10-23-2007, 02:25 AM
No you do not have to justify your frustration but as a long time fans myself I can only tell you what my perspective is. I do not think the Steelers are a Super Bowl contender AT THIS TIME. They do not have a power running game which I think is essential for the Steelers. Whether it is the Ol or the running backs I am not sure yet. It may be both but I am leaning toward an inconsistent offensive line.

I believe Ben is a tremendous quarterack and Tomelin will be a great coach. As a fan I choose not to criticize them but support them. The Steelers are who they are and unless the opffensive line some how improves during the season , (which it could considering it added two new players) the Steelers are going to lose games they should not . Pleased know that I live among the most fairweather fans , namely the 49ers and it is a joke. For me if the Steelers make the play offs this year I am happy. They do have a team and coaching staff that they can build upon and remember they are the PITTSBURTH STEELERS and that is special. Out here in Sacramento they are an extremely popular team a close third to the Whiners , and the Raiders. Enjoy the season and hope they make some corrections because that is what well coached teams do.

Michael from Aliquippa to Sacramento California

Preacher
10-23-2007, 02:29 AM
I think the reaction was more to the fact that....

During the bye week... the questions were of the "Is this the best defense since the 70s? type questions. Is there anyone as good as us? Can we beat the pats?

Now, after one loss, it seems like we are asking, "Will we make the playoffs?" why do we suck so much? Why don't we do this, or that?

Doesn't that seem a little absurd to you too? Wouldn't you agree that there really is no reason for Chicken Little to show up around here yet?

Are there concerns? Of course there is concerns. Our O line that I thought came together well showed considerable weakness yesterday. Our D that we thought almost invincible reminded us a little too much of 2003.

But that is a far cry from declaring that this person sucks, that person is wrong, We knew we would be horrible, blah blah blah.

What is even more hilarious... are the people that act like we are doing the team a disservice by putting our head in the sand... which leads me to another thread...

Edman
10-23-2007, 02:49 AM
Nobody said you were a fairweather fan. If you check the posts here and there since last Sunday, not one person uttered the word "fairweather". "Fickle" is the better word. Don't get the two confused, Augusta.

Steelers win: We're going to the Super Bowl!
Steelers lose: This team is garbage, this season is over.

The D is a prime example. One bad game, now all of the sudden they suck. It's one thing to be concerned, but the doom-and-gloom has to stop. If the season plays out as much as fans and media percieve it as of now, the Patriots are the Super Bowl Champions right now. A lot can happen from here until February.

We Steeler fans were SO spoiled from 15-1. We have this somewhat false sense of security that this team is invincible. How about swallowing pride and giving credit to the opponent for once. Denver played the game of their lives, Pittsburgh played a sloppy game, and we still lost by 3 LOUSY POINTS ON A LAST-SECOND FIELD GOAL. Please Augusta and all you naysayers, feel free to stop watching the Steelers anytime you please is you believe this season is shot. No one is going to stop you.

Michael Keller
10-23-2007, 02:55 AM
I love the Pittsburth Steelers and have for over 40 years. I replayed the first half of the Denver game and I am analyzing it just to satisfy myself. I am in the process of evaluating this team and and in the end I will accept them for who they are. The Pittsburgh Steelers are an incredible franchise deserving of my respect and loyalty because they are not the Bengals, not the Cowboys, not the Raiders and I could go on. I do not criticize any fan for their criticism . That is their right and quite frankly like in all other subjects some people do not know their subject matter but just simply like to express their anger. Thats life and that certainly is sports, and always will be.

I have arrived at the point in my life where I enjoy the Steelers and the season is not a dissapointment if they do win the Super Bowl. However I do expect hardnosed blue collar football , aggressive blitzing defense, power running game with a more open passing attack (not Tommy ball ) going deep on occassion. I expect the Steelers to make the play offs at least 7 out of 10 years and would hope and expect the Steelers to win 1 to 3 more Super Bowls under Ben's career. Other Brady and Manning there is no other QB I would even consider and certainly not Romo.

Joe Greene became a man because he played for the Steelers and in turn he offered a magic quality of "WE WILL WIN". The Steelers do win and they are by and large what a local sports commentator out in Sacramento out here aptly describes ,

"When you play for the Pittsburgh Steelers you must be a good citizen.

Now that is what is special yesterday and today about our Steelers.

They do win and they win with class. So rare in sports but we have it and enjoy it.

Michael

Galax Steeler
10-23-2007, 03:43 AM
I have to say I've been a steeler fan since the 70's I've seen the good years and the bad ones. If we don't win another game this year I will still be a steeler fan next year.

moedap
10-23-2007, 06:59 AM
I have to say I've been a steeler fan since the 70's I've seen the good years and the bad ones. If we don't win another game this year I will still be a steeler fan next year.

Second that

83-Steelers-43
10-23-2007, 07:18 AM
:nw::nw:THANK YOU AS.:nw::nw:

Refreshing to hear.

X-Terminator
10-23-2007, 07:42 AM
Nobody said you were a fairweather fan. If you check the posts here and there since last Sunday, not one person uttered the word "fairweather". "Fickle" is the better word. Don't get the two confused, Augusta.

The D is a prime example. One bad game, now all of the sudden they suck. It's one thing to be concerned, but the doom-and-gloom has to stop. If the season plays out as much as fans and media percieve it as of now, the Patriots are the Super Bowl Champions right now. A lot can happen from here until February.

We Steeler fans were SO spoiled from 15-1. We have this somewhat false sense of security that this team is invincible. How about swallowing pride and giving credit to the opponent for once. Denver played the game of their lives, Pittsburgh played a sloppy game, and we still lost by 3 LOUSY POINTS ON A LAST-SECOND FIELD GOAL. Please Augusta and all you naysayers, feel free to stop watching the Steelers anytime you please is you believe this season is shot. No one is going to stop you.

Fickle and spoiled - definitely two accurate descriptions of far too many Steelers fans. We have many in our fanbase who think it's their birthright that the Steelers win the Super Bowl every year, and if they don't, then the sky is falling, the team sucks and everyone should be fired. And I'm not exaggerating either. You can call it what you want and you can flame me all you want, but it's the truth, and as is the case most times, nobody likes to hear or see the truth.

83-Steelers-43
10-23-2007, 07:46 AM
Our two losses came against below .500 ball clubs! You can't do that and expect to win the SB!

Your just a bandwagon fan. :flap:

Here.....

http://www.onlinesports.com/images/jax-10305360.gif

revefsreleets
10-23-2007, 08:20 AM
I think it's important to keep these things in perspective. When we lose to teams we shouldn't, that makes the team more open to questioning. My problem is often with Steelers fans highs being too high and lows being too low. But it's definitely OK to question this team after losing two straight road games against bad teams, and to feel a little extra down about it.

memphissteelergirl
10-23-2007, 08:50 AM
Oh, goody..here we go again!

The ever popular "you-can't-be-a-real-Steeler fan-and-trash-the-team" debate!

People....for the love of Pete...TAKE IT DOWN A NOTCH!! (Sorry to shout, but this really gets on my last nerve!)

OK, I know after a loss like the one to Denver it's easy to harp on the various and assorted flaws the team has. I also know that it is very easy to get frustrated after what should have been a winnable game. That said, however, as fans we have to realize that it as frustrating as it is for us it has to be doubly so for the players and coaches.

Bottom line: We as fans are going to discuss and debate our opinions(that is, after all what MB's like this are created for) but let's not be so negative to think the season is over before it's barely started. And please let's not fight among ourselves about who is a "true" Steeler fan and who isn't just because we have strong opinions. In the end, we all love the Black and Gold and just want to see the team succeed. That cannot happen if the fan base is trying to see who loves the team more. It's a fruitless-and, dare I say stupid-argument.

Just my .02

HometownGal
10-23-2007, 08:50 AM
Fickle and spoiled - definitely two accurate descriptions of far too many Steelers fans. We have many in our fanbase who think it's their birthright that the Steelers win the Super Bowl every year, and if they don't, then the sky is falling, the team sucks and everyone should be fired. And I'm not exaggerating either. You can call it what you want and you can flame me all you want, but it's the truth, and as is the case most times, nobody likes to hear or see the truth.

AMEN. :thumbsup:

While there is nothing wrong with critiquing the team after a loss, I find those who only come around here when the Steelers lose to bitch and moan quite disturbing. When the Steelers win, they are nowhere to be found. I don't call 'em FWF's necessarily - I refer to them as boo birds.

I certainly never felt this team would go 16-0 - that is almost an impossible feat in today's NFL. On the other hand, as has been said around these forums by myself and others - I would rather have the losses coming now against non-divisional opponents and save our best games for our divisional opponents and those games in the last quarter of the season. I hate it when the Steelers lose, too, and I'll freely admit that, but I am a realist and realize that going into Week #8 with a 4-2 record and atop the division isn't cause for panic or despair.

fansince'76
10-23-2007, 08:51 AM
As far as the performance Sunday night goes, especially the D in particular, it was complete dogsh*t - that's the plain truth with no shellack on it.

That being said, you'll have to forgive me for expressing annoyance at those who never say a word and are inexplicably absent here after a win, but the minute the clock hits triple zero after a loss, they're right here front and center to declare (loudly) that the team sucks, won't win another game, and everybody in the FO needs to be fired. If that makes me a deluded homer that drinks B&G Kool-Aid/wears B&G sunglasses, so be it. :coffee:

Mosca
10-23-2007, 09:02 AM
Sometimes people just type out their thoughts. We have a wide range of personalities and ages here. Some of us are impulsive, and some are thoughtful. Each must be maddening to the other.

I like it when someone posts what they saw, what they think it means, and what they think should be done to correct it. It doesn't matter whether they are right or wrong; after all, as Preach said, none of us work for the Rooneys. But it makes for a fun forum. And it beats just spouting out; if you can explain what you see, with examples, it means you're involved both emotionally and intellectually. And again, that makes for a fun forum.

What is GREAT is that we can do all this without the "your a maron" stuff that infests other forums. Even when emotions flare, they flare that the ideas, not at the people.

Steeldude
10-23-2007, 09:15 AM
coming into this year i did not expect the steelers to win over 9 games.

rah-rah fans annoy me more than anything. to them one win means the steelers are going to the SB. say one thing negative about BR and they slap the "you are a not a steelers' fan" on you. on the other hand i am a realist.

i have stated many times over the last 4 years that the steelers need to address their LBs and O-line. this past draft they addressed the LBs, but i am not so sure about the timmons pick. remains to be seen.

this season does not look good for the steelers. they have no O-line at all. it will get worse next year when faneca leaves. for some odd reason the steelers gave simmons(1st round bust) more money. the bad part is i doubt the steelers will address the O-line in the 2008 draft. i have a bad feeling they are going to waste another 1st round pick on a WR.

Edman
10-23-2007, 09:30 AM
Rah-rahs are annoying. The fickle doom-and-gloomers aren't any better. There's a fine line between "realist" and "fickle".

It's still too damn early to declare anything. How about waiting and seeing what this team does the next couple weeks. This team is 4-2. Not 2-4 like last year.

Why does losing make Steeler fans stupid?

Steeldude
10-23-2007, 10:45 AM
Rah-rahs are annoying. The fickle doom-and-gloomers aren't any better. There's a fine line between "realist" and "fickle".

It's still too damn early to declare anything. How about waiting and seeing what this team does the next couple weeks. This team is 4-2. Not 2-4 like last year.

Why does losing make Steeler fans stupid?

i never commented on whether or not the steelers will make the playoffs or SB. all remains to be seen:smile: i was just stating my prediction of their record before the season started. after the season started i figured the steelers might win close to 11 or 12 games. not based on the steelers themselves, but more on the lack of quality teams in the NFL this year.

one thing is for sure if the steelers don't fix that putrid O-line it's going to be tough season.

SteelerFanInCA
10-23-2007, 10:49 AM
It's a long season ahead of us and I like our chances. One game dictates nothing.

All I know is the excitement is starting to build for this Sunday's game against the bungles. Win or lose, I live for Steelers Football. :tt02::tt02::tt02:

oldschool
10-23-2007, 11:01 AM
Fair weather fans, I remember back to a cold December morning in 79, we were in a job trailer on a construction site outside of the Burgh drinking coffee and talking about our favorite subject, the Steelers before work. In walks our old crusty superintendent and he asks us what we’re talking about, the Steelers what else! Ah, your just a bunch of fair weather fans! What do ya mean, we’ve been Steelers fans since we’ve been kids! Ah, fair weather fans! Yea everyone a Steelers fan, they win a couple of Super Bowls and now everyone’s a fan!! I’ve had season tickets for 30 YEARS, sitting in the rain watching them lose to every sorry team that could scrape together bus fare into town. I’ve sat trough one loosing season after another, I’m a fan!! They get a fancy stadium, win a couple of Super Bowls now everyone’s a “FAN”.

It kind of put thing into perspective even back then, what kind of fan are you, their our team, they are going to lose some games, but true fans are in for the long haul, 75 years 5 rings. That means 69 out of 74 seasons we didn’t get it done, but that’s life in the NFL, it sure makes winning it all pretty special!

HometownGal
10-23-2007, 12:11 PM
Fair weather fans, I remember back to a cold December morning in 79, we were in a job trailer on a construction site outside of the Burgh drinking coffee and talking about our favorite subject, the Steelers before work. In walks our old crusty superintendent and he asks us what we?re talking about, the Steelers what else! Ah, your just a bunch of fair weather fans! What do ya mean, we?ve been Steelers fans since we?ve been kids! Ah, fair weather fans! Yea everyone a Steelers fan, they win a couple of Super Bowls and now everyone?s a fan!! I?ve had season tickets for 30 YEARS, sitting in the rain watching them lose to every sorry team that could scrape together bus fare into town. I?ve sat trough one loosing season after another, I?m a fan!! They get a fancy stadium, win a couple of Super Bowls now everyone?s a ?FAN?.

It kind of put thing into perspective even back then, what kind of fan are you, their our team, they are going to lose some games, but true fans are in for the long haul, 75 years 5 rings. That means 69 out of 74 seasons we didn?t get it done, but that?s life in the NFL, it sure makes winning it all pretty special!

What a GREAT post oldschool! Kudos! :cheers::thumbsup:

Rob64
10-23-2007, 01:05 PM
I love how some on here call people "fair weather fans" if they make a comment about their favorite player or a comment on why the team lost. I was called a fair weather fan for my post and I've been watching this team since '74 even when there were lean years. I've never missed one game so I think you should watch how you throw that term around.

augustashark
10-24-2007, 12:58 AM
I love how some on here call people "fair weather fans" if they make a comment about their favorite player or a comment on why the team lost. I was called a fair weather fan for my post and I've been watching this team since '74 even when there were lean years. I've never missed one game so I think you should watch how you throw that term around.

First off, I was trying to say that If you are a fan, you have a right to post your thoughts and not be labeled a "fair weather fan". I noticed how you started a thread about Troy being overrated and there were some here that was calling you this very thing. I was trying to take your side sir. I'm sorry that you did not realize this. So be it.

augustashark
10-24-2007, 01:21 AM

I do not know you so I will not make this personal, but I don't know what the heck you are talking about!

I was not talking about myself.

YES the word "fair weather" has been used since sunday night.

Also, please feel free and go back through my posts and read them and see if there is any kind of track record that proves that I'm a "naysayer" as you put it. If there is not then you should lean to speak only when you know the facts! Just hint myfriend you will not find any.

I don't get spoiled as you put it. I just expect us to play up to are abilities and when we don't then I will express my opionion on why we did'nt.

Swallow pride! Do you really think on the flight back to Pittsburgh coach Tomlin stood up and said listen men, I know you gave it your all but lets swallow some pride and give credit to a better team. I think not. I'm sure it was closer to: Men there were some serious mental mistakes out there tonight that cost us this game and when we get back home we are going to address them. During film today I'm sure there was more talk about what we did wrong other then what they did right.

Preacher
10-24-2007, 02:08 AM
During film today I'm sure there was more talk about what we did wrong other then what they did right.

Nope... Today, they were introduced once again to.. "The News" as Tomlin likes to call it.

I am SURE no one was happy to hear their name on "The News" either!!!

MasterOfPuppets
10-24-2007, 11:45 AM
geesh....they start the season at 3 - 0, and all the sudden its superbowl or bust !!! nobody can honestly say, that they were exspecting a perfect season or a superbowl win 3 months ago. so why is it ,just because they beat 3 sub standard teams at the begining of the season, and all the sudden the espectations go through the roof? we were 8 - 8 last year people ! albeit they were underachievers , but we new coming into this year , some of last years problems were going to carry over to this year. how could they not ? the oline was horrible last year....did you really exspect the addition of mahan to simply solve the problem? just imagine how its gonna be next year ,when faneca departs, and smith starts whining about his contract. the DB'S were a mess last year , they have a few good games against some of the leagues worst qb's ,barring maybe hasselbeck, and some of you were ready to crown them the best secondary in the league. lets not forget the bronco's were coming into this season with higher exspectations from the sports media than the steelers. they've definetly been underachievers thus far,possibly due to injurys but none the less they've still been an elite team and perrenial contender for a long time, and shanahan knows how to win.

Dino 6 Rings
10-24-2007, 12:01 PM
I am the True Fair Weather Fan

That means, even though I sat through Walter Abercrombie, Loui Lipps, and 9 different qbs since Bradshaw, and had my heart ripped from my chest 9 or so times between afc title losses, a super bowl loss and other PO losses, I always want it to be Fair Weather for my Team.

A fan is a fan, regardless of whether or not they have been rooting for the steelers since they were 2 and they wanted the black team to beat the blue team cause all the adults in the room were cheering for the blue team, or they were turned to the "dark side" when the steelers hoisted the trophy two years ago and realized that through it all, the Rooney Family and the Attitude of a blue collar work ethic was something they associated with, DOESNT MATTER. What matters is the fans are here now, and even though a loss to Denver (which historically, we lose to Denver in the regular season) sucks, it is only something to make the team stronger. Cause when it counts, we learn, hey, we need to pressure the QB more, Ward needs to hold on to the ball, the offense can pass, the defense can once in a while make a stop and in a 2 minute drill, we can score.

SO Fair Weather, Stormy Weather or Bermuda Weather (non hurricane) IT JUST DOESNT MATTER!!!! A Fan is a Fan is a Fan...And DANG IT!!! If you take the time to go online, to a Steelers forum and post your thoughts (bad or good) that shows ME you are a FAN. And DANG IT. I love our FANS!!!!!

PEACE!!!

BlastFurnace
10-24-2007, 01:05 PM
I am the True Fair Weather Fan

That means, even though I sat through Walter Abercrombie, Loui Lipps, and 9 different qbs since Bradshaw, and had my heart ripped from my chest 9 or so times between afc title losses, a super bowl loss and other PO losses, I always want it to be Fair Weather for my Team.

A fan is a fan, regardless of whether or not they have been rooting for the steelers since they were 2 and they wanted the black team to beat the blue team cause all the adults in the room were cheering for the blue team, or they were turned to the "dark side" when the steelers hoisted the trophy two years ago and realized that through it all, the Rooney Family and the Attitude of a blue collar work ethic was something they associated with, DOESNT MATTER. What matters is the fans are here now, and even though a loss to Denver (which historically, we lose to Denver in the regular season) sucks, it is only something to make the team stronger. Cause when it counts, we learn, hey, we need to pressure the QB more, Ward needs to hold on to the ball, the offense can pass, the defense can once in a while make a stop and in a 2 minute drill, we can score.

SO Fair Weather, Stormy Weather or Bermuda Weather (non hurricane) IT JUST DOESNT MATTER!!!! A Fan is a Fan is a Fan...And DANG IT!!! If you take the time to go online, to a Steelers forum and post your thoughts (bad or good) that shows ME you are a FAN. And DANG IT. I love our FANS!!!!!

PEACE!!!

We think that all of you who cheered for us are true fans.

Sinerely,

Calvin Sweeney
Greg Hawthorne
Sam Washington
Delton Hall
Mark Malone
Wayne Capers
Harvey Clayton
Rick Woods
Harry Newsome

tony hipchest
10-24-2007, 01:08 PM
We think that all of you who cheered for us are true fans.

Sinerely,

Calvin Sweeney
Greg Hawthorne
Sam Washington
Delton Hall
Mark Malone
Wayne Capers
Harvey Clayton
Rick Woods
Harry Newsome
nice :cheers:

augustashark
10-24-2007, 01:47 PM
geesh....they start the season at 3 - 0, and all the sudden its superbowl or bust !!! nobody can honestly say, that they were exspecting a perfect season or a superbowl win 3 months ago. so why is it ,just because they beat 3 sub standard teams at the begining of the season, and all the sudden the espectations go through the roof? we were 8 - 8 last year people ! albeit they were underachievers , but we new coming into this year , some of last years problems were going to carry over to this year. how could they not ? the oline was horrible last year....did you really exspect the addition of mahan to simply solve the problem? just imagine how its gonna be next year ,when faneca departs, and smith starts whining about his contract. the DB'S were a mess last year , they have a few good games against some of the leagues worst qb's ,barring maybe hasselbeck, and some of you were ready to crown them the best secondary in the league. lets not forget the bronco's were coming into this season with higher exspectations from the sports media than the steelers. they've definetly been underachievers thus far,possibly due to injurys but none the less they've still been an elite team and perrenial contender for a long time, and shanahan knows how to win.

I don't think I've ever said SB or bust. I was just trying to point out that we have a long way to go. I also tried to point out that if you have neg remarks about the team after that loss, that you are not a "fair weather fan" thats it. Nothing more nothing less.

Thanks MOP.

BurghZ0n3
10-24-2007, 01:56 PM
...maybe it's just me, but...everytime I hear "Fair weather fans", I tend to associate it to the words "Fine feather friends"....any who, we are B&G supporters :helmet::tt02: