PDA

View Full Version : I hate to say it, but same mistakes will haunt us forever.

wiz1120
10-23-2007, 09:34 AM
Ever since the AFC Championship in 2001, the blue print to beat the Steelers is short routes over the middle. Tom Brady and the Patriots drew up the game plan to completely destroy the Steelers, and what have the Steelers done about it?

The more blitzes we run, the shorter the dropback is for the quarterback. All he has to do is get the ball out quick and the Steelers get lit up. I can't believe how long this problem has gone on, and it only happens against the good teams. Now, however, I saw Jay Cutler and the Broncos drive right down the field time and time again. I knew that the Broncos would drive down the field no problem, and that's exactly what they did (with time to spare).

I don't even know if I want to watch the Patriots game. I predict Brady going 40 for 55, and I doubt they will even run the ball until they get a huge lead. Sorry Steeler fans, but we have two great defensive coaches who continue to make the same mistakes and will get beat the same way come December 9th.

tony hipchest
10-23-2007, 09:52 AM
thanks for the warning. i guess i will just have to try and enjoy all the other games until then.

Lord Stiller
10-23-2007, 10:07 AM
Well according to this idiot poster named TheWarDen86, we should play possum and not even try to beat the Pats

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=20581&page=13

I dont know about you guys but I think we should try to win every game

lamberts-lost-tooth
10-23-2007, 10:09 AM
The Bengals tried that same formula during our playoff run and Lebeau stopped them by playing an extra DB to jam the WR on the strong side and then sit in the flat. It was incredibly effective....causing Kitna to hesitate and giving our OLB time to get into the backfield...We also were able to stop Rudi with that DB, who would chop him in half when they went to him on the outlet pass.
If WE can figure out that there is a weakness there...I am placing my money on Lebeau being able to figure it out and reacting accordingly. The only other option is that the coordinator of the one of the best defenses in the league is a doofus...and I dont believe thats true.

fansince'76
10-23-2007, 10:10 AM
I dont know about you guys but I think we should try to win every game

Um, yeah - what the hell is the point of playing, if not to win?

Lord Stiller
10-23-2007, 10:11 AM
I think part of the problem could be Polamalu playing all over the place rather than defending the middle.

I'd like to see more of the Cover 2 like in the Seattle game. Have Clark and Smith as the deep safeties with Polamalu and Farrior guarding the middle of the field

Edman
10-23-2007, 10:18 AM
Yeah. I know. This team just sucks. And we have a lot of imbeciles who can't adjust their gameplan along with a cheap-*** owner. The Steelers are a garbage team under a garbage organization. I regret putting my name on the waiting list. I'll surely sell my tickets once I get them. :blah:

Thank you dear sir for saving me from this painful team.:chicken:

Jman
10-23-2007, 10:34 AM
The Steelers should explore more of that Cover 2, Zone Blitz mix up and find a way to make it more effective.

jjpro11
10-23-2007, 10:37 AM
we did win a super bowl.. so it couldn't have haunted us that much.

BurghZ0n3
10-23-2007, 10:43 AM
....after the first 3 games, I was NOT haunted by the saying "We'll try to find a way to win" (like Cowher used to). But now, ..... it's everybody's guess....:dang:

GeneralRobinson
10-23-2007, 11:53 AM
It's a matter of raising the level of play to stop a team's execution. Give Denver credit. They were able to hit some short and intermediate route passes when they had to. Pittsburgh's defense was not able to stop Denver when they had to. Sometimes the other team just plays better. Simple as that.

My point is, I do not expect teams to duplicate Denver's success because I believe Coach Tomlin and Coach Lebeau will resolve the issues. Look at our red zone offense. Before Seattle, it was a weakness. Last 2 games, 7 trips inside the opponents' red zone have resulted in 7 TDs. We have a recent track record of correcting mistakes. We will do so this time.

fansince'76
10-23-2007, 12:01 PM
My point is, I do not expect teams to duplicate Denver's success because I believe Coach Tomlin and Coach Lebeau will resolve the issues. Look at our red zone offense. Before Seattle, it was a weakness. Last 2 games, 7 trips inside the opponents' red zone have resulted in 6 TDs. We have a recent track record of correcting mistakes. We will do so this time.

Great point - the red zone offense has improved dramatically over the last few weeks.

GeneralRobinson
10-23-2007, 12:05 PM
Great point - the red zone offense has improved dramatically over the last few weeks.

Thanks. I actually was wrong on the # of TDs. Seven red zone trips...seven TDs.

Preacher
10-23-2007, 01:44 PM
we did win a super bowl.. so it couldn't have haunted us that much.

Actually, it did. Go and watch the Superbowl. That was EXACTLY the way Seattle kept driving on us and staying in the game. It is just that we were able to overcome it. However, that kind of play is a crap shoot, and I don't like it. It has CONTINUED to be a problem.

Our CB's NEED to roll up on the wr. but that messes with LeBeau's scheme. So what do we do? I do hope they will figure it out.

Virginia Steeler
10-23-2007, 02:00 PM
I am the only one who thinks the Colts are better than the Pats?

Atlanta Dan
10-23-2007, 02:02 PM
Ever since the AFC Championship in 2001, the blue print to beat the Steelers is short routes over the middle. Tom Brady and the Patriots drew up the game plan to completely destroy the Steelers, and what have the Steelers done about it?

The more blitzes we run, the shorter the dropback is for the quarterback. All he has to do is get the ball out quick and the Steelers get lit up. I can't believe how long this problem has gone on, and it only happens against the good teams. Now, however, I saw Jay Cutler and the Broncos drive right down the field time and time again. I knew that the Broncos would drive down the field no problem, and that's exactly what they did (with time to spare).

I don't even know if I want to watch the Patriots game. I predict Brady going 40 for 55, and I doubt they will even run the ball until they get a huge lead. Sorry Steeler fans, but we have two great defensive coaches who continue to make the same mistakes and will get beat the same way come December 9th.

I guess everyone forgot to check out tapes of the 2001 Pats-Steelers game during the 2005 playoffs or (since Peyton Manning allegedly watches all film ever recorded) someone stole Peyton's copy of that game film.

Don't underestimate the significance of Aaron Smith's absence on Sunday night in terms of impacting the D (just like the D declined after Troy left the Arizona game)

And as far as a teams's defensive shortcomings only being exposed against good teams, I suppose that is why they are good.

I have no love for New England, but if the season is ruined for you if New England wins you might want to consider getting NBA League Pass and quit watching the rest of this NFL season. IMO they are loathsome but one of the best offensive teams I have seen since the Montana/Young 49ers.

Atlanta Dan
10-23-2007, 02:07 PM
I am the only one who thinks the Colts are better than the Pats?

Ask me in 2 weeks:smile: In termsof setting up home field advantage for the playoffs between 2 extraordinary teams, that game on November 4 will be one of the biggest regular season games in years.

To paraphrase Bum Phillips talking about Earl Campbell, if the Pats and the Colts are not in a class of their own it doesn't take long to call the roll

OneForTheToe
10-23-2007, 03:36 PM
Actually, it did. Go and watch the Superbowl. That was EXACTLY the way Seattle kept driving on us and staying in the game. It is just that we were able to overcome it. However, that kind of play is a crap shoot, and I don't like it. It has CONTINUED to be a problem.

Our CB's NEED to roll up on the wr. but that messes with LeBeau's scheme. So what do we do? I do hope they will figure it out.

Yes Preacher, but we shut down the best offense in football (at least for three quarters) three weeks earlier. I understand that the LeBeau defense leaves some holes in the secondary, which can be exposed if we don't get a pass rush. However, the alternative to the blitz schemes is suicide. We don't (and probably no one else) have the db's to stay with the receivers of the Colts or Pat's indefinitely. This is true at least as long as those teams have their respective quarterbacks.

Given enough time, Sir's Manning and Bradey will pick anybody apart with the receiving corps they presently have. The only chance is to disrupt their rhythm by a confusing combination of blitzes with as good of coverage as you can muster, given the remaining numbers in the secondary. Yes, sometimes a good strategy is to fake the blitz, rush three, and play tight coverage. However, that strategy only works if you can make them worry about the blitz in the first place. And you can't make them worry about the blitz unless you hurt them with it first.

Truthfully, we only win against the Colts or Pats if we force turnovers and keep the ball for the better part of the game.

Edman
10-23-2007, 04:25 PM
I think it's time to stop roving Troy all over the place and let him move around in the secondary instead. Don't we have Brett Kiesel doing the rover job now?

If the D was truly exposed, let's see what Cincy does next week. If they have the same success as Denver, then it's a real cause for concern.