PDA

View Full Version : LaMarr Woodley

Lord Stiller
10-23-2007, 12:44 PM
Steelers | Woodley could see increased time Week 8
Tue, 23 Oct 2007 10:03:02 -0700

Pittsburgh Steelers LB LaMarr Woodley could receive increased playing time Week 8 in substitution circumstances.

Good News!!!!!!!! Dude is a playmaker and will likely be a full-time starter next year. He already has 3 sacks and has only played like 15 plays or so.

lamberts-lost-tooth
10-23-2007, 12:48 PM
Steelers | Woodley could see increased time Week 8
Tue, 23 Oct 2007 10:03:02 -0700

Pittsburgh Steelers LB LaMarr Woodley could receive increased playing time Week 8 in substitution circumstances.

Good News!!!!!!!! Dude is a playmaker and will likely be a full-time starter next year. He already has 3 sacks and has only played like 15 plays or so.

I wonder if they are considering throwing him into the DE rotation just to screw with Cincy?...That would be great!!!...I would love to see their tackles wrestle with Eason...then try and keep up with Woodley's explosion off the line

Michael Keller
10-23-2007, 01:17 PM
I wonder if they are considering throwing him into the DE rotation just to screw with Cincy?...That would be great!!!...I would love to see their tackles wrestle with Eason...then try and keep up with Woodley's explosion off the line

Excellent thought and I would be dissapointed if the coaches did not work Woodley into the defensive scheme in consideration of Smith absence On passing downs both Kiesel and Woodley could drop back while our defensive backs blitzed. The verstility offered by Woodley is a major plus. Good idea.

The Duke
10-23-2007, 03:32 PM

great idea, and with smith probably out it is possible

xXTheSteelKingsXx
10-23-2007, 05:43 PM
great idea, and with smith probably out it is possible

What was Aaron Smith's injury?

The Duke
10-23-2007, 05:47 PM
What was Aaron Smith's injury?

knee I think, he's doubtful for sunday

Dynasty
10-23-2007, 06:00 PM
something with his MCL... maybe a sprain or something like that

lilyoder6
10-23-2007, 07:25 PM
woodly had a good play on that boot leg... but i thought he was 55???? not 56.. but i think that u guys are right.. use him at lb and de... the way we have dif packages. woodly could be out there and can either rush one play and drop the next... i think he will be a great player to come

SteelDogFan
10-23-2007, 07:44 PM
I knew he could play but had no idea he was so athletic.

NV STEELERS 723
10-23-2007, 07:45 PM
I like Woodley too,,,,but what happenned to the first round stud Timmons?

jjpro11
10-23-2007, 08:05 PM

dont know.. we could sure use his ability in coverage though. tight ends consistently do well against us.

Preacher
10-23-2007, 11:06 PM

4 months without playing ball because of injury will do that to a person when they are trying to step up into a new team, in a higher league, and break into a starting lineup. I'm not worried about him.

Now if we don't see him NEXT year... I will start to worry.

Haiku_Dirtt
10-23-2007, 11:13 PM
On Woodley:

Tomlin on rookie LB LaMarr Woodley: "You're talking about a guy who probably has played 65, 66 snaps and has three sacks. That tells us we need to play him more," possibly starting Sunday at Cincinnati.

Play calling in Denver:

Tomlin said. "Willie Parker ran the ball 10 times for 48 yards in the first half, and he ran it 10 times for 17 yards in the first half (Oct. 7) against Seattle. But Seattle was characterized as a great running game because of how we finished, how we won the game."

And finally:

"When the quarterback had a nice 31-yard play on a scramble, we weren't where we were supposed to be. When they hit the tight end down the field on their first scoring drive, for a significant gain, we weren't where we're supposed to be. We've got to get better and we've got to get better in a lot of areas."

In other words?...We score on Offense but We win with our Defense That I like.

Copyright ? 2007 The Canadian Press. All rights reserved. :wink02:
http://canadianpress.google.com/article/ALeqM5h47WtiKoHsrqtfnaqEsbovsbjRMw

jjpro11
10-23-2007, 11:21 PM
who would he start for? harrison and haggans have been playing quite well.. he's too small to play DE in the 3-4.

paw-n-maul-u
10-23-2007, 11:26 PM
4 months without playing ball because of injury will do that to a person when they are trying to step up into a new team, in a higher league, and break into a starting lineup. I'm not worried about him.

Now if we don't see him NEXT year... I will start to worry.

no doubt. not to mention hes so raw. woodley was basically a four year starter. He's been a monster on special teams, and shows just how much athletic ability he actually has.

but it is definitly disappointing seeing Willis, Poz, and Beason all starting. But what can you do?

Haiku_Dirtt
10-23-2007, 11:33 PM
who would he start for? harrison and haggans have been playing quite well.. he's too small to play DE in the 3-4.

That's what I'm wondering because Tomlin is unhappy with someone in particular based on what I read in the Canadian Press. I have to wait until NFL Replay on Wed. to watch the entire game.

jjpro11
10-23-2007, 11:42 PM
no doubt. not to mention hes so raw. woodley was basically a four year starter. He's been a monster on special teams, and shows just how much athletic ability he actually has.

but it is definitly disappointing seeing Willis, Poz, and Beason all starting. But what can you do?

to be fair, we didnt have a chance to take willis and poz is out for the season. plus none of them would be full time starters with our linebacker anyhow. willis would play the most in our defense.

paw-n-maul-u
10-24-2007, 12:19 AM
to be fair, we didnt have a chance to take willis and poz is out for the season. plus none of them would be full time starters with our linebacker anyhow. willis would play the most in our defense.

right well, I wasn't really arguing that we should have taken someone else.

there were 4 linebackers taken in the first 34 picks of the draft. 5 if you want you count Anthony Spencer as an OLB for dallas. Of those, Lawrence Timmons is the only one not starting. I guess disappointing isn't the word I should have used, because i wouldnt really want him starting.

But i def, think he should be in active rotation, you're never gonna learn unless you get the experience, we've been up in some games by a lot and he hasn't got much playing time at all (or atleast it seems like to me)

I don't know if thats a reflection of practice or what, but i know he's been awesome on ST coverage units. I don't know what you have to do to get more playing time. It said that woodley was in on what, 66 plays? ... I bet timmons' total isn't even half that (although, I would be curious to find out if anyone knows???)

But yes, I would have to say out of all the teams (dallas, carolina, sanfran, bills), we are/were definitly in the best shape at LB, before the draft, and now. Also, injuries, (dal-greg ellis, carolina-dan morgan, patrick willis was going to be a must start anyways, bills-spikes left).

paw-n-maul-u
10-24-2007, 12:25 AM

right well, I wasn't really arguing that we should have taken someone else.

there were 4 linebackers taken in the first 34 picks of the draft. 5 if you want you count Anthony Spencer as an OLB for dallas. Of those, Lawrence Timmons is the only one not starting. I guess disappointing isn't the word I should have used, because i wouldnt really want him starting.

But i def, think he should be in active rotation, you're never gonna learn unless you get the experience, we've been up in some games by a lot and he hasn't got much playing time at all (or atleast it seems like to me)

I don't know if thats a reflection of practice or what, but i know he's been awesome on ST coverage units. I don't know what you have to do to get more playing time. It said that woodley was in on what, 66 plays? ... I bet timmons' total isn't even half that (although, I would be curious to find out if anyone knows???)

But yes, I would have to say out of all the teams (dallas, carolina, sanfran, bills), we are/were definitly in the best shape at LB, before the draft, and now. Also, injuries, (dal-greg ellis, carolina-dan morgan, patrick willis was going to be a must start anyways, bills-spikes left).

Galax Steeler
10-24-2007, 03:47 AM
I think you will see woodleys playing time increase that game against denver he came at cutler like a bat out of hell for the sack he looked explosive.

Lord Stiller
10-24-2007, 07:07 AM

nobody. they are talking about increasing his playing time, not starting

lilyoder6
10-24-2007, 07:50 AM
yea.. we have enough ppl who don't start and go out and having good playing time...

revefsreleets
10-24-2007, 08:50 AM
I'm all for it. As I've said before, watching him play at Michigan, the guy was just a ball hawk, all over the field, and was always making big plays. This is a great example of a guy who is just an instinctual football player.

TackleMeBen
10-24-2007, 09:39 AM
he was very good at michigan. we could use him this year..lol

Davison_K
10-24-2007, 10:06 AM

I think them starting has less to do with their playing ability and more to do with the teams they are on. We drafted for the future. I am pretty sure Harrison has been working for that starting job the last 2 years. It was just a matter of time. Is it true that Haggens is a free agent at the end of either this year or next? If so that would be a great time for Woodley to step up into the starting role. As long as Harrison is cheap and signed lets use him as the starter until he gets beat out by Timmons which I suspect will be midway through NEXT season.

Preacher
10-24-2007, 02:28 PM
I think them starting has less to do with their playing ability and more to do with the teams they are on. We drafted for the future. I am pretty sure Harrison has been working for that starting job the last 2 years. It was just a matter of time. Is it true that Haggens is a free agent at the end of either this year or next? If so that would be a great time for Woodley to step up into the starting role. As long as Harrison is cheap and signed lets use him as the starter until he gets beat out by Timmons which I suspect will be midway through NEXT season.

That is actually an excellent post.

We were in serious trouble at LB... not because we had no starters... because we had no one BEHIND our starters. Now it seems we may have picked up a good ILB and OLB.

steelpride12
10-24-2007, 02:39 PM
Wow thats great news and he will be a huge distruption for Carson!

GeneralRobinson
10-26-2007, 08:55 AM

Funny you should ask. John Harris has an answer for you.

Steelers rookie Timmons awaits chances
By John Harris
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, October 26, 2007

Steelers rookie linebacker Lawrence Timmons didn't avoid the question. He admits to being lost on the football field a few months ago.

"I was lost when I came here," said Timmons, a first-round draft pick from Florida State.

As the No. 15 overall pick joining a tradition-bound, defensive-minded team like the Steelers, on faces extra-large expectations.

Timmons believed he had all the answers, that his instincts, closing speed and playmaking ability assured him not only a spot on the roster, but also the opportunity to showcase his skills right away.

Entering Sunday's AFC North contest against the Cincinnati Bengals, Timmons has a team-high seven special teams tackles. But he has yet to have an impact at the position he was drafted to play.

Timmons, however, is enjoying his best week of practice at a time when the Steelers could use a few extra bodies on defense due to injuries. Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity, so don't be surprised if Timmons finally has some good luck as more than a special teams performer against Cincinnati's high-octane passing attack.

"I think the coaches are getting more comfortable with me," said Timmons, the Steelers' highest draft pick on defense since safety Troy Polamalu in 2003. "They keep asking, 'Are you ready, are you ready?' "

Timmons turned some heads this week in back-to-back practices with a couple of big-time plays that showed flashes of his anticipation and speed to the football.

Coach Mike Tomlin likes what he sees. Timmons is a superior athletic specimen with tremendous upside. Tomlin just wants to see it on a consistent basis.

"I think he's ready to play. But again, it's all about opportunity. He's got to be ready when his number is called," Tomlin said.

"No question, he's got potential. But they're not paid for potential. They're paid for results."

Timmons is late to the party primarily because of medical reasons. He missed the majority of offseason workouts and most of training camp because of a nagging groin injury. Compound that with losing valuable practice time, that made learning defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau's sophisticated schemes 10 times more complicated.

Biding his time while waiting his turn, Timmons has internalized whatever frustration he may feel standing on the sideline.

"It's a situation that makes you better. You appreciate what you have when you work for it so hard," Timmons said. "Once you learn it, you respect the players that know it because it takes a lot of time to learn all these plays."

Even if Timmons knew the playbook backward and forward, there was still the matter of competing with veteran James Harrison (32 tackles, three sacks) for playing time at right outside linebacker. Timmons' initial paying time figures to come in dribs and drabs rather than chunks.

Still, Timmons' time will come. Considering the Steelers are entering the meaty part of their schedule with some key members missing on defense, it could be sooner than later.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_534648.html

rbryan
10-26-2007, 09:11 AM
Thanks for the link General. I guess all we had to do was ask. lol

I think this is great news. Forget about 4/3 or 3/4 schemes, these guys are studs and you need to get them in there.

Galax Steeler
10-27-2007, 06:57 AM
Woodley gets into the game

Despite playing as a pass-rush linebacker in most third-down situations in the preseason, rookie LaMarr Woodley said he has not performed that role in the nickel or dime defensive packages in the regular season.

Nonetheless, despite a limited of number of plays in the base defense, Woodley is tied for third on the team with three sacks. He had a sack and forced fumble despite playing just three snaps against the Denver Broncos.

"That's what you have to do whenever you get in there, you have to take advantage of the time you get because you might not get back in there," said Woodley, a No. 2 draft choice from Michigan. "Just try to make something happen with the little time you got."

Woodley might have one of the best sacks-per-play averages in the National Football League.

He said he did not appear in scrimmage play in Arizona, played just one snap against Seattle, three against the Broncos, "four or five" at the end of the game against the Cleveland Browns and "five or six" at the end of the game against the San Francisco 49ers.

Woodley's longest appearance was against the Buffalo Bills, when he played the entire second half (35 plays) after linebacker James Harrison was injured right before halftime. All of his appearances, he said, have been in the base defense, not substitutional packages.

"You are talking about a guy that has probably played 65 or 66 snaps of defense and he has three sacks this year," coach Mike Tomlin said.

"That tells us we need to play him more."

However, Tomlin said Woodley, a converted defensive end, is not a candidate to replace the injured Smith.

"You would kind of think that because they had me going in on third down in the preseason, doing a little bit of this, that hopefully during the season I might be doing it," Woodley said. "But it didn't work out that way. I'm not going to sit back and complain. It's just something that happened."

stillers4me
10-27-2007, 08:17 AM
I'm excited about Woodley playing on Sunday. They didn't call him The Quarterback Killer for nothing.

Here kitty,kitty,kitty................................. ..............

Welcome To Smashmouth
10-27-2007, 08:47 PM
that FF against DEN was impressive

...a shame we didn't recover it

moedap
10-27-2007, 11:30 PM
If we see Timmons play considerably more than usual I think it may be hint of how they are going to defend vertical pass oriented offenses. The defense in Denver looked awfully vanilla in scheme and we got beat vertically. Harrison was always stretched a step or two behind. Watson will smoke him. Timmons needs to play.

Preacher
10-28-2007, 01:50 AM
The Woodley, TImmons era may be coming pretty soon. Think about it. With Polamalu, Anth. Smith, Ike, Casey, etc.

We have a defense that will be around quite some time.