PDA

View Full Version : Colts vs. Pats: Good vs. Evil?

Counselor
10-23-2007, 01:36 PM
Pretty good read:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=easterbrook/071023&sportCat=nfll

Patriots at Colts on Nov. 4 is shaping up to be one of the most attractive and exciting NFL regular-season games ever staged. The pairing is fabulous; the teams are the league's best; and there is a chance both will take the field undefeated. Plus, Patriots at Colts has a powerful, compelling narrative. Namely -- Good vs. Evil.

The fact that I don't even need to tell you which team represents Good and which stands for Evil says a lot about how low New England has sunk. You knew instantly which was which, didn't you?

Argument for the Indianapolis Colts as paladins who carry the banner of that which is beneficent: Sportsmanship, honesty, modesty, devotion to community, embrace of traditional small-town life, belief in higher power, even love of laughter. The Colts are the defending champions, so they obviously play well on the field. Yet after winning the Super Bowl, they have remained humble and appealing. Through prior years of postseason frustration, they never complained or pointed the finger outside their team. Their players are active in community affairs and don't carp about being assigned to a nonglamorous Farm Belt city with an antiquated stadium. Their coach, Tony Dungy, smiles in public and answers honestly whatever he is asked: He never yells at players or grimaces at bad plays and, when defeated, doesn't act as though it's the end of the world. Although religious, Dungy said on the night he won the Super Bowl that God doesn't care about football games, which shows perspective. The team's star, Peyton Manning, stands for love of family, constantly appearing in public with his brothers, father and mother. Manning is happily married and a major donor to a children's hospital. Manning spends a lot of time at children's camps and events, and he constantly makes fun of himself. Ladies and gentlemen, representing Good, the Indianapolis Colts.

Argument for the New England Patriots as scoundrels in the service of that which is baleful: Dishonesty, cheating, arrogance, hubris, endless complaining even in success. The Patriots have three Super Bowl rings, but that jewelry is tarnished by their cheating scandal. They run up the score to humiliate opponents -- more on that below -- thus mocking sportsmanship. Their coach snaps and snarls in public, seeming to feel contempt for the American public that has brought him wealth and celebrity. Victory seems to give Bill Belichick no joy, and defeat throws him into fury. Belichick and the rest of the top of the Patriots' organization continue to refuse to answer questions about what was in the cheating tapes -- and generally, you refuse to answer questions if you have something to hide. The team has three Super Bowl triumphs, yet its players regularly whine about not being revered enough. The team's star, Tom Brady, is a smirking sybarite who dates actresses and supermodels but whose public charity appearances are infrequent. That constant smirk on Brady's face reminds one of Dick Cheney; people who smirk are fairly broadcasting the message, "I'm hiding something." The Patriots seem especially creepy at this point because we still don't know whether they have told the full truth about the cheating scandal -- or even whether they really have stopped cheating. They say they have, but their word is not exactly gold at this juncture. Ladies and gentlemen, representing Evil, the New England Patriots.

In the Good vs. Evil narrative of the Colts and Pats, running up the score is a telling factor: It reveals a team's sportsmanship or lack of same, and whether a team shows sportsmanship in public might offer insights into its character in private. New England is scoring so many points the Patriots offense looks like cherries and oranges spinning on a slot machine. The Flying Elvii stand plus-159 in net points, by far the best scoring margin in the NFL. This is supposed to be impressive. But I think it's creepy, and New England's creepy on-field behavior is only underscoring the seediness of the Beli-Cheat scandal.

The article is long, and goes on from there----but tell me thats not a pretty accurate view? The comparison of the coaches and the QB's illustrate it perfectly.

Atlanta Dan
10-23-2007, 04:11 PM
And I thought my hatred of the Pats, Belicheat, and Brady was well developed - first (and last?) time Brady has been compared to Dick Cheney to my knowledge.:sofunny:

fansince'76
10-23-2007, 04:45 PM
I hope the Colts beat the hell out of them.

RoethlisBURGHer
10-23-2007, 06:13 PM
Truthfully, I am sick of both of them

But Go Colts, I am a huge Dungy fan and I hate everything Patriot.

PAMillerGrrl83
10-23-2007, 10:01 PM
Thats an awesome article and tells the truth very well. I do like the Colts, I like Manning and Clark and Wayne, I think they are good football players as well as people. Heck the Colts as a group are good people. The Patricheats make me sick, their ****y, arrogant and self centered so I hope Manning and the Colts shove that football straight up Bradys @$$.

stillers4me
10-23-2007, 10:03 PM
Thats an awesome article and tells the truth very well. I do like the Colts, I like Manning and Clark and Wayne, I think they are good football players as well as people. Heck the Colts as a group are good people. The Patricheats make me sick, their ****y, arrogant and self centered so I hope Manning and the Colts shove that football straight up Bradys @$$.

Well said. :chuckle:

PAMillerGrrl83
10-23-2007, 10:09 PM
^^Thank you LoL.

Dirtywater
10-23-2007, 11:40 PM
I agree. We are sub-human trash and it's cut and dry. Maybe some day we'll make Steeler fans and ESPN like us. :smile:

PAMillerGrrl83
10-23-2007, 11:58 PM
^^So are you a clone of LITP??

revefsreleets
10-24-2007, 08:23 AM
And so it begins. There is a whole slate of NFL games between now and then, a whole other week of football to be played, and the Colts/Pats hypefest has already begun.

Atlanta Dan
10-24-2007, 08:28 AM
I agree. We are sub-human trash and it's cut and dry. Maybe some day we'll make Steeler fans and ESPN like us. :smile:

Some day we'll make ESPN like us??!!:sofunny:

When it comes to fawning coverage of the Pats by ESPN and the MNF crew, my only question is whether Belicheat and Brady leave the money on the nightstand or pay for the services ESPN provides on a recurring basis by credit card.

jjpro11
10-24-2007, 01:52 PM
And so it begins. There is a whole slate of NFL games between now and then, a whole other week of football to be played, and the Colts/Pats hypefest has already begun.

i'd love to see one of them lose this week just to shut up those idiots calling it the game of the century and shit.

SuckItUp
10-28-2007, 01:28 AM
I'd love to see the Colts pull off the upset, but in all honesty I really don't see them losing even once this year. You heard it here first ladies, the Patriots are the next '72 Dolphins, but significantly better.

Crushzilla
10-28-2007, 04:19 AM
You heard it here first ladies, the Patriots are the next '72 Dolphins, but significantly better.

Really? I hadn't heard that yet? Oh wait. Is this sarcasm? Who's a lady? What?

I guess Chris Collinsworth is just a terrible and painful figment of my imagination.

Does that make me a masochist?

fansince'76
10-28-2007, 06:05 AM
I'd love to see the Colts pull off the upset, but in all honesty I really don't see them losing even once this year. You heard it here first ladies, the Patriots are the next '72 Dolphins, but significantly better.

Sounds like somebody's been watching too much of the ESPN hype machine. Heard the same things about the '98 Broncos (13-0 start, 14-2 finish, won SB XXXIII) and the '05 Colts (13-0 start, 14-2 finish, didn't even make it to the SB). You do realize that the '72 Dolphins also won their last nine regular season games and first 2 playoff games in '72 with Earl Morrall behind center as Bob Griese was out with an injury, don't you? You really think the Pacheatriots would go 19-0 with Cassel behind center for 11 games? Fat chance. And the Pacheatriots' D is NOT better than Miami's "No-Namers," sorry.

Atlanta Dan
10-28-2007, 07:57 AM

So the line already is out and New England is favored?:smile:

As far as being better than the 72 Dolphins, big whoop

72 Steelers nearly beat those Dolphins before adding Swann, Stallworth, Webster & Lambert. Those Dolphins get props for being undefeated but would have lost to 70s Steelers, 80s 49ers and 90s Cowboys.

X-Terminator
10-28-2007, 06:06 PM
I will never in my life root harder for an opposing team to win than the Colts next week. I honestly would rather see them go undefeated than the Patriots. It actually makes me sick to see that team win anything.

The Duke
10-28-2007, 06:09 PM
This week it's all going to be about this patriots@colts game, all the media will be talking about is how great they are, especially Brady.

I don't think I will be able to stand it....

Edman
10-28-2007, 06:23 PM
Maybe everyone else is playing for second place. The Patriots are invincible. Before you ask: No I do not think the Steelers can beat them. No, the Colts will not beat them next week. Nobody will be able to stop these guys.

They're a bunch of cheating scumbags, but they're just too damned good.

Atlanta Dan
10-28-2007, 06:38 PM
Maybe everyone else is playing for second place. The Patriots are invincible. Before you ask: No I do not think the Steelers can beat them. No, the Colts will not beat them next week. Nobody will be able to stop these guys.

They're a bunch of cheating scumbags, but they're just too damned good.

It's October - you may be right but bad weather in January and injuries can change a lot - I bet the Pats wished they played indoors.

Black@Gold Forever32
10-28-2007, 06:50 PM
I don't know who to root for all I know whoever loses the Steelers will only be one behind the loser for the second play-off seed.......

jjpro11
10-28-2007, 07:52 PM

they arent going to have brady much longer if they keep him in and throwing up 38-0... i was actually hoping someone would late hit him just to send a message to the pats to cut the cute little bullshit.. they won the game at that point, why risk your qbs health just so he can pad his stats and the guys can get a quick laugh from another td.

Atlanta Dan
10-28-2007, 08:00 PM
they arent going to have brady much longer if they keep him in and throwing up 38-0... i was actually hoping someone would late hit him just to send a message to the pats to cut the cute little bullshit.. they won the game at that point, why risk your qbs health just so he can pad his stats and the guys can get a quick laugh from another td.

Better watch it or one of the Pats trolls who accused me of classlessly rooting for injuries will return to bust on you.:smile: I agree there should be karmic payback for that crap at some point.

Hines0wnz
10-28-2007, 08:04 PM
What gets me is that when Vrabel lines up on the goal line it seems everyone in the world knows at least one play is going to him, except the defense on the field. Does Belichek think he can sandbag everyone with a non-existent running game? Hopefully his wonderboy wont get hurt when he is running their TDs down there.

edit: even Cassel had a rushing TD, geez.

Black@Gold Forever32
10-28-2007, 08:06 PM
I think the Pats and their fan base just want to finally prove that Brady is better then Manning and now that he finally has weapons they're letting him just fling the pigskin all over the place....even when the score is out of hand...But I always thought Brady was better then Peyton.....three rings speak for themselves....Plus I think they're alittle ticked about the whole spy-gate saga and are sending a message to the rest of the league.....

Its classless don't get me wrong.....But when have the Pats ever been classy?lol

Black@Gold Forever32
10-28-2007, 08:08 PM
What gets me is that when Vrabel lines up on the goal line it seems everyone in the world knows at least one play is going to him, except the defense on the field. Does Belichek think he can sandbag everyone with a non-existent running game? Hopefully his wonderboy wont get hurt when he is running their TDs down there.

Great point....and no doubt......What does Vrabel have like 10 TDs now? You would think that every time he goes in motion that somebody would pick him up...I would like to hear why the Redskins defense paid him no mind today...lol Not that it mattered much in the outcome of the game...lol

Hines0wnz
10-28-2007, 08:09 PM
Better watch it or one of the Pats trolls who accused me of classlessly rooting for injuries will return to bust on you.:smile: I agree there should be karmic payback for that crap at some point.

ha. Good thing Brady stayed in there until they were safely up 45-0 or the Skins may have made the most incredible comeback in history.

Hines0wnz
10-28-2007, 08:11 PM
Great point....and no doubt......What does Vrabel have like 10 TDs now? You would think that every time he goes in motion that somebody would pick him up...I would like to hear why the Redskins defense paid him no mind today...lol Not that it mattered much in the outcome of the game...lol

I'm sure there were scared of Maroney. :rolleyes:

Black@Gold Forever32
10-28-2007, 08:21 PM
I'm sure there were scared of Maroney. :rolleyes:

or Keven Faulk...:sofunny::sofunny::sofunny:I just know if the Steelers fall for Vrabel in motion then I will lose it...lol

Haiku_Dirtt
10-28-2007, 08:54 PM

Give em' enough rope - or video cable - and they'll hang themselves. :smile:

Haiku_Dirtt
10-28-2007, 09:00 PM
I'm going to stay away from everything ESPN until this media hurricane blows past. I'm vomiting on an hourly basis because of this match up.

Can we just get the game?:yap:

The Duke
10-28-2007, 09:09 PM
I'm going to stay away from everything ESPN until this media hurricane blows past. I'm vomiting on an hourly basis because of this match up.

Can we just get the game?:yap:

I think I'll do the same. No sportscenter for me this week either

cubanstogie
10-28-2007, 11:04 PM
I didn't see the Pats/Redskins game, but I just caught the highlights. No doubt Pats are great team to this point. But up 45-0 in 4th quarter and they are throwing. Whats the deal with that. Joe Gibbs ran off the field without shaking the Cheats hand. I loved it, the only thing I didn't like was Gibbs' saying in a post game interview he didn't have a problem with it. Cowboy up and admit you were pissed and embarrassed. If we lose to those classless pukes, there will be some broken stuff in my house for sure. I have never wished any player to get hurt, but I would love to see Bob Sanders knock the snot out of Brady

Black@Gold Forever32
10-28-2007, 11:16 PM
Actually I hope the Pats and the Colts beat the living crap out of each other...lol

jjpro11
10-28-2007, 11:33 PM
I didn't see the Pats/Redskins game, but I just caught the highlights. No doubt Pats are great team to this point. But up 45-0 in 4th quarter and they are throwing. Whats the deal with that. Joe Gibbs ran off the field without shaking the Cheats hand. I loved it, the only thing I didn't like was Gibbs' saying in a post game interview he didn't have a problem with it. Cowboy up and admit you were pissed and embarrassed. If we lose to those classless pukes, there will be some broken stuff in my house for sure. I have never wished any player to get hurt, but I would love to see Bob Sanders knock the snot out of Brady

nah.. gibbs did shake his hand.. he's not a crybaby idiot like the walrus.

OneForTheToe
10-28-2007, 11:38 PM
I don't like the Colts but will be rooting for them to beat the Patriots. I guess I am a little different in that the hype doesn't bug me that much because, if it gets to be too much, I'll just tune it out. As for the game, I am a Steelers fan first, but still also sports fan. So, I am looking forward to the game. I'm also glad the Steelers are playing Monday so there is no stress for the day. Putting the hype aside, it is two undefeated teams at the midway point of the season going at it - and that is worth watching.

I look at it this way - the outcome of this game probably will have little or no affect on the Steelers. As much as I think we have the best chance of any NFL team to beat (upset) one of these two teams we are probably not going to get homefield against either. Still possible, but I would be happy hosting a first round game given the rest of the Colts/Pats schedule. We know we can be Road Warriors if necessary.

So, why not just sit back and enjoy the game between two undefeated teams?

revefsreleets
10-29-2007, 08:36 AM
Big game? What big game? I'm going to be logging a lot of hours on the 360 this week!

GeneralRobinson
10-29-2007, 04:32 PM
I was reading the message board on CBS, and I was shocked as to the large number of posters who had no problem with what Belichick did. Going for it on 4th down with a 45 point lead? How can someone condone this?

Atlanta Dan
10-29-2007, 05:21 PM
I was reading the message board on CBS, and I was shocked as to the large number of posters who had no problem with what Belichick did. Going for it on 4th down with a 45 point lead? How can someone condone this?

They live in New England

NM

fansince'76
10-29-2007, 05:31 PM
They live in New England

NM

Yep - they'll also be the ones crying and screaming about it the loudest if some 320-lb DL gets pissed, takes matters into his own hands and shreds one of Goldenboy's knees late in the 4th quarter of another blowout. And I will have absolutely no sympathy. :coffee:

tony hipchest
10-29-2007, 06:04 PM
Yep - they'll also be the ones crying and screaming about it the loudest if some 320-lb DL gets pissed, takes matters into his own hands and shreds one of Goldenboy's knees late in the 4th quarter of another blowout. And I will have absolutely no sympathy. :coffee:yep.

but to quote belichick "it was 38-0. what do you want us to do? kick a field goal?
we were just playing football."

youre gonna give up atleast 7 points to the patriots as it is. might as well give it up on the 1st play.

it is sound football philosophy to send a 10 man blitz on the 1st offensive play of the game and perhaps obtain a 15 yard penalty.

Preacher
10-29-2007, 06:22 PM
yep.

but to quote belichick "it was 38-0. what do you want us to do? kick a field goal?
we were just playing football."

youre gonna give up atleast 7 points to the patriots as it is. might as well give it up on the 1st play.

it is sound football philosophy to send a 10 man blitz on the 1st offensive play of the game and perhaps obtain a 15 yard penalty.

ROTFL... 10 man blitz. and DONT STOP TILL YOU GET TO BRADY.

tony hipchest
10-29-2007, 06:53 PM
ROTFL... 10 man blitz. and DONT STOP TILL YOU GET TO BRADY.
thats what it amounts to.

the patriots have showed that they will score, and score at will. you can either drag out the inevitable, or you can try to step up and try to prevent it.

your offense only has to go toe-to-toe with them for as long as it takes to convince tom he will not pitch a tent and set up camp in the backfield.

now im not suggesting the steelers do this. as the #1 defense we shouldnt have to, but who knows. if 1 was gonna tell me we were gonna lose the game before it even started, i wouldnt mind being teh "sacrificial lamb".

..."just playing football" of course.

LVSteelersfan
10-31-2007, 01:15 AM
Screw waiting until the Pats are up by 10 TDs. Knock the snot out of Brady in the first quarter. If he hits Moss on an all out blitz on the first play, hit him again on their next drive. Keep doing it until he is so whoozy he can't stand up any more. And I hope the Steelers Smith hits Moss so hard he sees stars for a week. What is with all these teams letting him run down the field unmolested and letting him outjump them? Hit the jerk hard at the line and then again before the 5 yards and knock him off his stride. Then cream his butt even if he catches the ball. Moss is a weenie if he gets hit hard a few times.