PDA

View Full Version : Defense Misses Porters Fire!!!!

SteelDogFan
10-23-2007, 08:23 PM
I know his on the field play had decline. I know he probably wanted more money than the Steelers wanted to pay. But after watching that game I believe that the D misses his intensity. There were times when it just seemed like I was watching a walk through in the first half. Even madden stated more than once that it looked as though Denver was playing at a faster pace than the Steelers.

The Steelers crazy-run-around-fly-to-the-ball defense did not show up. I know there are leaders on the D. But I don't see anyone that runs there mouth like Porter and the other players fed off of that. When he talked trash they got fired up. Even some players said he was their leader and would be missed.

I don't know if it was Dick's play calling or just uninspired play. But the feeling that you usually get (Steelers are going to kick but) when the team is on the road was missing from kick-off.

Edman
10-23-2007, 08:33 PM
Care to explain last year then? When the Steelers D had this same 3rd down problem when Porter was here?

fansince'76
10-23-2007, 08:34 PM
How's that Dolphins D doing? 'Nuff said.

The Duke
10-23-2007, 08:38 PM

Exaclty, neither his play nor his mouth has helped that team

MasterOfPuppets
10-23-2007, 08:42 PM
Care to explain last year then? When the Steelers D had this same 3rd down problem when Porter was here?
let him answer this one....:coffee:

NJarhead
10-23-2007, 08:52 PM
Wow, you guys are harsh!

Joey may not be doing the Dolphins any good this year, but he's still one of my favorite Steelers. They may not have won everytime he got fired up, but knowing he was there always made me feel better. Were you the same bunch that boo'd Greg Lloyd when he came to Three Rivers as a Panther? Will you actually Boo Peezy when he comes to Heinz? I sure hope not.

lotas
10-23-2007, 08:57 PM

Ha...little too inductive there. Steelers had a lot of problems last year. If 1 man's intensity could turn around an entire defense in a year as bad as last? right...

well I dunno about the D...but I miss joey. I've hated him at times, his mouth and the publicity stuff really annoyed me, but he is a hell of a pass rusher...where is our pressure?

MasterOfPuppets
10-23-2007, 08:57 PM
Wow, you guys are harsh!

Joey may not be doing the Dolphins any good this year, but he's still one of my favorite Steelers. They may not have won everytime he got fired up, but knowing he was there always made me feel better. Were you the same bunch that boo'd Greg Lloyd when he came to Three Rivers as a Panther? Will you actually Boo Peezy when he comes to Heinz? I sure hope not.
mean joe green was my favorite player, but i sure as hell don't think he can help the D any....:coffee:

MasterOfPuppets
10-23-2007, 08:59 PM
but he is a hell of a pass rusher...where is our pressure? WAS

jjpro11
10-23-2007, 09:08 PM
we seem to have a few of these kinds of games a year.. last year it was vs baltimore twice, saints, chargers and falcons. in 2005 the colts and bengals and in 2004 the giants and ravens. for some reason our defense sleepwalks through some games and completely dominates others. obviously there were a lot fewer of these games in 2004 and 05 than in 2006. hopefully we follow the trend of the 2004 and 2005 season this year.

NJarhead
10-23-2007, 09:19 PM
mean joe green was my favorite player, but i sure as hell don't think he can help the D any....:coffee:

I was too young when he played to really understand FB. I loved him as a Steeler and wore my little Steelers jacket a little more proudly after that Coke commercial.

I hold most former Steelers in high regard even AFTER they leave. I was sick when they boo'd Lloyd. Anyway....

Steeldude
10-23-2007, 09:19 PM
I know his on the field play had decline. I know he probably wanted more money than the Steelers wanted to pay. But after watching that game I believe that the D misses his intensity. There were times when it just seemed like I was watching a walk through in the first half. Even madden stated more than once that it looked as though Denver was playing at a faster pace than the Steelers.

The Steelers crazy-run-around-fly-to-the-ball defense did not show up. I know there are leaders on the D. But I don't see anyone that runs there mouth like Porter and the other players fed off of that. When he talked trash they got fired up. Even some players said he was their leader and would be missed.

I don't know if it was Dick's play calling or just uninspired play. But the feeling that you usually get (Steelers are going to kick but) when the team is on the road was missing from kick-off.

give it up. porter sucks and he brought nothing to the defense except a big annoying mouth that he could never back up. have you ever watched porter? he never flies around the ball during the game. he trots a few yards and then stops. watch a miami game if you have forgotten. i never saw the defense fired up last year because of porter's ramblings.

players tend to say nice things about friends. remember how they would say good things about kordell? it doesn't mean anything. results are what counts.

lebeau's ridiculous schemes were a joke on sunday. what's with the lame 2-3-6 lineup?

stillers4me
10-23-2007, 09:20 PM
It will get better, my children.

jjpro11
10-23-2007, 09:43 PM
give it up. porter sucks and he brought nothing to the defense except a big annoying mouth that he could never back up. have you ever watched porter? he never flies around the ball during the game. he trots a few yards and then stops. watch a miami game if you have forgotten. i never saw the defense fired up last year because of porter's ramblings.

players tend to say nice things about friends. remember how they would say good things about kordell? it doesn't mean anything. results are what counts.

lebeau's ridiculous schemes were a joke on sunday. what's with the lame 2-3-6 lineup?

be honest.. was 2006 the first year you started watching the steelers?

steelpride12
10-23-2007, 09:54 PM
Ya im pretty sure Harrison is doing an excellent job with the replacment and also is the team leader in tackles!

shutdown
10-23-2007, 10:44 PM
Damn we have alot of disgruntled and pissy fans on these forums right now.

We dont need Joey Porter.

Yes he is somewhat missed but not very much.

He wasnt and still isnt worth half of what he's getting paid. (to the Steelers)

He was a good as Steeler but that doesnt say much seeing as we have a knack for producing LB's.

The Denver Loss is still tough to swallow but it will go down. Get over it and pray Dick adjusts his defense.

Let me end with the best post on this thread.

It will get better, my children.

The End.

Haiku_Dirtt
10-23-2007, 11:29 PM
I'll break the money down like this.

James Harrison is getting $8 million for 4 years.

Joey Porter is getting $32 million for 5 years. :screwy:

Preacher
10-24-2007, 02:17 AM
We weren't intense and fired up on defense last year either. I think they just must've gotten tired of it after the Super Bowl or something.

Sadly, I think that you have hit the nail on the head. Yelling, screaming, "how dare you tread on us" motivation can only last so long. Now, we are finding a different way to do things. Everyone once to go back to what was.... but what was brought us one SB in 15 years. I am happy that we got it.

But I got kinda tired of just tweaking the team here and there, and hoping for a different result. When we won the SB, I thought, GREAT, we have arrived. The next year proved different.

So what do we do now? Personally, I am happy we have a coach that motivates a little differently. If it was Cowher, I would be TICKED that he was just standing quietly on the sidelines. But this coach isn't Cowher, this coach motivates differently. So let's give him the chance to do so.

hey, 4-2 after six is an EXCELLENT start historically for the Steelers.

Galax Steeler
10-24-2007, 04:00 AM
I have to agree with the preacher on this 4 and 2 is not so bad lets give it a chance and as for joey porter he was good in his time but his game started dipping a little in the last 2 to 3 years I think joey is loosing a step or two.

moedap
10-24-2007, 07:19 AM
I am more inclined to believe what Tomlin says regarding motivation created from words, it is short lived. I think good play execution is what fires up a team offense or defense. Its the snowball effect. If a player sees his teammate make a good play he is going to want to make a good play and so on and so on until everyone is looking to make a good play. Saying that however I do believe individual players can serve as the catalyst more than others. For our Steelers when Polamalu is playing lights out the D responds and when Big Ben is playing lights out the O responds.

Michael Keller
10-24-2007, 08:59 AM

In substance you are right . The Steelers do need an on the field fiery leader. This is clear to me. I see it missing also. However Joey Porter does not have the skills he once had. That was very clear to me. Is there a leader a on fire leader on the Steeler's defense. I do not know. Smith (safety) appears to be a tyrant and a hard hitter but he is not yet a starter. Some one must step up or if you are willing to look at it long term make "fiery leader type" a priority in the draft. Joe Greene , Jack lambert , Greg LLoyd, Kevin Green and certainly Joey Porter brought their personality to the Steelers. The draft experts know who these guys are. Again I agree with you the leadership Porter brought to the Steelers is missing but you tell me who you think can step in. it is not Timmons from what I know . Perhaps Woodley?

The Steeler brain trust better know this because emotions or lack of is a major factor in this game. Always has been always will be. Mike Ditka when he was coachin the Cowboys against the Steelers stated "the Steelers were tougher than us we did not have that emotional edge against them.

Time runs out on all football players and time has certainly ran out on Joey. It would be a class response if the Steelers give Joey Porter a standing ovation. He did his job dam well and we as fans should recognize him for it.

Michael

Steeldude
10-24-2007, 09:01 AM
be honest.. was 2006 the first year you started watching the steelers?

no, and yourself? care to prove anything i said as being incorrect? let me know if you want to discuss the overrated porter :smile:

Steeldude
10-24-2007, 09:13 AM
here are some stats for harrison and porter

harrison - 6 games - 31 solos - 6 assist - 3 sacks - 1 PD

porter - 7 games - 21 solos - 3 assists - 1 sack - 1 PD

and most likely porter's one sack came when the LT fell down or no one blocked him at all. is porter inspiring miami's defense...lol?

Michael Keller
10-24-2007, 09:19 AM
no, and yourself? care to prove anything i said as being incorrect? let me know if you want to discuss the overrated porter :smile:

Hang in there , good response to your rude critic. If he does not think leadership Porter provided is essential. He may have started watching the steelers in 2006.

He certainly did not play THE GAME/

BlastFurnace
10-24-2007, 09:22 AM
Joey had many great moments with the Steelers, but clearly, his game is on the decline and needed to be replaced. I have watched bits and pieces of Miami's games and Joey is always just standing around the pile, not really doing much.

Extending Joey's contract would have duplicated the same mistake when we signed Gildon to his last contract.

This is not Rod Woodson II that we let go guys where Rod played another 6-7 years at a high level. Joey might be out of the league in 2 years because of his lack of productivity.

83-Steelers-43
10-24-2007, 09:26 AM
Maybe the Steelers front office can take a trip down to Miami and record Joey talking trash and pumping up the team before the game? It would be cheaper. Now the front office is expected to pay big money to somebody who basically amounts to a cheerleader at this point in his career.

We do not need Joey Porter..............at all. Not having a big mouth/cheerleader is the least of this teams concerns.

Stillers43
10-24-2007, 09:29 AM
I loved Joey Porter. He was a great player! The key word is "was". He still brings that intensity, but the skills are on a downhill slope. Harrison is doing a great job as his replacement. Harrison could be just a vocal, but he lets the vets do the talking. The defense is great, but just needs to be more consistent. Pretty much like the entire team every year.

SteelDogFan
10-24-2007, 10:09 AM
OK, here is what was meant by the Steelers miss Porters fire.

Four many years he was the vocal leader on the D. He was the one who fired up the team during pre-game. He was the one that crossed into the away teams area and gave the D a chip on their shoulder. How many pre-game confrontations did we witness at away games when Porter got fired up. That was good for the team.

Replacing Porter even with a player with better capabilities does not replace him. Not to say he is as good as Ray, but if you took Ray lewis off of the Ravens D they would lose some fire. If you go back and read what the players said when Porter was released you will notice words like, leader, emotional leader and so-on.

I did not say that Harrison was a bad replacement. I know Porters production had tapered off. What I said was the Spit-Fire-in their face attitude that Porter brought to the team is now gone and you cannot replace that. Someone will take over for him but it can't be replaced.

If you watched the D in the Denver game that is what was missing. The Steelers D has been play great ball all season, but in the Denver game they were lets say not emotionally fired up and it seamed as though no player on the field was firing them up. I know they played hard they always do. I not criticizing effort. what i am saying is the emotional edge that the steelers D usually has was not there.

The D is playing great but in that game they just seemed to be great and did not have the usual Steelers killer drive.

Jman
10-24-2007, 10:22 AM

:iagree:

For the original post...

:thud:

BlastFurnace
10-24-2007, 10:36 AM
If you watched the D in the Denver game that is what was missing. The Steelers D has been play great ball all season, but in the Denver game they were lets say not emotionally fired up and it seamed as though no player on the field was firing them up. I know they played hard they always do. I not criticizing effort. what i am saying is the emotional edge that the steelers D usually has was not there.

You would have to take Harrison's tackles and divide them by 2...maybe 3...that is how many tackles Porter would have had.

Someone else needs to step up and take the leadership role.

jjpro11
10-24-2007, 01:45 PM

your saying porter has been overrated since he got here.. i dont agree with that because he was easily our best linebacker for a number of years before 2006, when his skills started to decline.

jjpro11
10-24-2007, 01:47 PM
Hang in there , good response to your rude critic. If he does not think leadership Porter provided is essential. He may have started watching the steelers in 2006.

He certainly did not play THE GAME/

what are you talking about? i was defending porter and his leadership and playing ability for years prior to 2006.

Steelman16
10-24-2007, 01:52 PM
Ok, Porter's gone. Done deal. So who cares? Period.

How about a better question?

Like, who in your opinion, could step up (if they haven't already) and provide a bit of spark and fire to the D? (Not really talking playing ability here)

:tt02:

The Duke
10-24-2007, 02:55 PM
Joey might be out of the league in 2 years because of his lack of productivity.

Whoa, don't exaggerate. there's always room for players like Joey as backups in this league, they may not be playing their best but are good enough to fill in. like seau with the pats

BlastFurnace
10-24-2007, 03:13 PM
Whoa, don't exaggerate. there's always room for players like Joey as backups in this league, they may not be playing their best but are good enough to fill in. like seau with the pats

Seau is more productive than Joey is right now. I don't think I am exaggerating at all. I think Joey's knee problems have taken away his speed, which was the key to his game.

Preacher
10-24-2007, 05:19 PM
If Joey went to the staff and said, "hey, Give me a 4 year deal with a decent signing bonus, then we can restructure in the third year to make room of up and comers... Just like Jerome did." I bet the Rooney's would have kept him. The problem was Joey's mouth.

BlastFurnace
10-24-2007, 05:38 PM
If Joey went to the staff and said, "hey, Give me a 4 year deal with a decent signing bonus, then we can restructure in the third year to make room of up and comers... Just like Jerome did." I bet the Rooney's would have kept him. The problem was Joey's mouth.

I think it had more to do with his production on the field and the kind of money he felt he was worth. I doubt they didn't offer him a decent contract just because of his mouth. Other than his play against Indy and Denver in the playoffs in 2005, his play had declined the past 2 seasons.

If he was still productive and his salary demands were more realistic, he would still be a Steeler. But...he's not in either case.

SteelDogFan
10-24-2007, 08:44 PM
Thats probably true Preach.

As for who I think would be the candidate to take over putting a fire in the D. I thought that it was a lock with Farrior. its usually the MLB anyway. Now I have no Idea. I just got finished watching some of the replay on NFL network and MAN that was a good game to bad we came out on the losing end.

I will add one more thing.I have to give Cutler credit he played a heck of a game and his line blocked well. I don't believe they ever went into a four wide receiver set. Its was as though their blocking scheme/gameplan was perfectly coached. The D rushed five many times but they all were blocked most of the time.

tony hipchest
10-24-2007, 09:05 PM
Seau is more productive than Joey is right now. I don't think I am exaggerating at all. its pretty much the difference of a 7-0 team vs. an 0-7 team. the patriots as a whole, are more productive than the dolphins as a whole.

if you put porter on the patriots and seau back on the dolphins, its not like the records would be reversed.

regardless, seau would rather retire and then come back on the cheap and play for the patriots, rather than play for miami.

BlastFurnace
10-25-2007, 08:40 AM
its pretty much the difference of a 7-0 team vs. an 0-7 team. the patriots as a whole, are more productive than the dolphins as a whole.

if you put porter on the patriots and seau back on the dolphins, its not like the records would be reversed.

regardless, seau would rather retire and then come back on the cheap and play for the patriots, rather than play for miami.

The Patriots could have cut Seau and signed Porter this offseason if they wanted to and didn't do it...especially with their penchant for signing ex-Steelers. Seau was coming back from a broken arm, while Porter...up until signing his big contract was relatively healthy and he is a younger player.

I agree with you that trading teams for both players wouldn't affect the records of either team, but I do think that Joey is finished as a dominant player because of his knees. He simply can't create the leverage he needs.

rbryan
10-25-2007, 12:35 PM
Here we go again. Yeah, I miss Porter , Plaxico, Randel El, my first girlfriend. Anyone else ??

FOOTEupyourarse
10-25-2007, 02:41 PM
who was th eemotional leader on DEF week #1? week #2? week #3? so on and so on. we lose to denver and all of a sudden we need an emotional leader on DEF to step up. why? who stepped up every other week? the arizona game? who stepped up? the win verse seattle? who stepped up? i miss porter because of his heart but it didnt effect the way the DEF played.

RoethlisBURGHer
10-25-2007, 05:12 PM
Joey was one of my favorite Steelers also, SDF.

However, I don't think the defense misses his decline in play. I don't think they miss his motormouth. I felt at times that Peezy put more pressure on the defense a lot of the times he ran his mouth.

I think once Woodley gets some more PT, this defense will vastly improve. And hopefully Timmons can contribute something this year than a spot on ST and the bench.

It's not like our defense is aweful, it's still one of the best in the NFL.

PalmerSteel
10-25-2007, 05:47 PM
the defensive players may miss porter as a friend but the defense's performance does not miss porter a bit. it has improved without him imo

rbryan
10-25-2007, 06:38 PM
I would like to see more of Woodley and Timmons also. At least get them in there for a few plays to give the starters a breather. They could have used them in the 2nd half against Denver

NJarhead
10-25-2007, 06:38 PM
Here we go again. Yeah, I miss Porter , Plaxico, Randel El, my first girlfriend. Anyone else ??

Carnell and Rod.

rbryan
10-25-2007, 06:45 PM
Chucky(Cheese)Okobi is available. I really miss him.

I think Rod might still be able to play. One game, against the patsies maybe?

GBMelBlount
10-25-2007, 07:29 PM
Not to sound like a eulogy, but....I'll never forget in Superbowl Season DVD in the locker room prior to the playoff game against the Broncos, Joey screams "they shot my ass in Denver!" (hulk pose) Now that even got me fired up! (LOL) They Kicked butt so apparently it worked!

JackHammer
10-26-2007, 01:06 AM
I miss the Peezy of the past. He's not coming back. Just like the rest of the LB's that we let go of. Just like the rest of them, we got rid of him because we don't need him anymore. We're better off without him.

SEMP
10-26-2007, 09:01 PM
I was 100% for letting Joey go. He was not worth the money at this point in his carreer with that being said, Steelers don't aquire thier 5th ring without Joey. Joey's play against the Colts was amazing. I never cared for the rah-rah stuff but Joey was a pretty good Steeler defender while he was here.

steel striker
10-27-2007, 06:16 PM
No doubt Joey would usally back up his smack talk. I really miss Joey he really made me laugh. Semp, I agree without Joey will do not beat the colts in our 05 super bowl run. Now the next two games against the bungals & ratbirds without Joey to talk smack to Chad Johnson & Ray Lewis.

Welcome To Smashmouth
10-27-2007, 08:43 PM
While Pittsburgh's D has been outstanding this season, I do believe 100% that Joey Porter is nothing other than a + in the Black 'N Gold!

Preacher
10-27-2007, 08:45 PM
While Pittsburgh's D has been outstanding this season, I do believe 100% that Joey Porter is nothing other than a + in the Black 'N Gold!

The old Joey... YES... Joey today? Nope. Once again our beloved Rooney's showed excellent choice and knowledge on when to part ways with a player.

Welcome To Smashmouth
10-27-2007, 09:03 PM
The old Joey... YES... Joey today? Nope. Once again our beloved Rooney's showed excellent choice and knowledge on when to part ways with a player.

Lets put just a little thought into this for a second....

While I do believe as a football player you should show up w/ 100% each and every play, this guy LOVED PITTSBURGH and made it VERY APPARENT after signing w/ Miami his heart was still in the burgh.

Now, while he hasn't done much stat-wise for the 'Fins this year, I believe w/ all I've got that if he was still alongside his heart in Pittsburgh he'd be showing up just like his '02 form.

And for any REAL fan who knows what he brough to the table, he could finish the season w/ 0 sacks and still he'd have contributed immensely in the locker room....

FOOD_FOR_THOUGHT

Welcome To Smashmouth
12-27-2008, 12:25 PM
^^^ I'm just coming back for another TOLD YA SO as Mr. Porter sits one sack shy of the Dolphin's All-Time Franchise sack record. .....guess you million and one haters must've been right....those are some washed up numbers right there :rofl:

It took him a while to adjust to Miami's D, but regardless he got it done, and he did it with a lot of us wishing he was doing it here in a black & gold uniform

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-27-2008, 01:04 PM
I think you confuse haters with people that like smart football decisions.

Porter got a $32 mil contract with $20 mil guaranteed. He was released so that Harrison could see the field and now with Woodley, we have a better OLB tandem than Porter and Haggans were.

Plus, Harrison had a 4 year deal worth $5.5mil and Woodley a 4 year, $3.6 mil deal. The combined $9.1mil left lots of money around that helped to extend Ben and will allow the possible extension of other key guys like Holmes, Miller, McFadden.

I hope you feel good by saying "TOLD YA SO", but the Steelers still made the right decision 2 seasons later.

GBMelBlount
12-27-2008, 01:07 PM
I completely agree El-Gonzo. Heck, I didn't want to see Porter go, but from an economic standpoint it made sense. At this point, ALL THINGS CONSIDERED, I definitely feel they made the right decision.

cubanstogie
12-27-2008, 01:23 PM
^^^ I'm just coming back for another TOLD YA SO as Mr. Porter sits one sack shy of the Dolphin's All-Time Franchise sack record. .....guess you million and one haters must've been right....those are some washed up numbers right there :rofl:

It took him a while to adjust to Miami's D, but regardless he got it done, and he did it with a lot of us wishing he was doing it here in a black & gold uniform

This is what happens on forums like this. People make lame statements with no accountability or knowledge of what goes on in practice or in locker room. Get rid of FWP, fire Arians etc. After tomorrow we will be 12-4 with #2 seed. I would bet my life every Steelers fan, player and personnel in organization would have taken that prior to start of year and after looking at our 2008 schedule. We have always let LB's go who we thought were irreplaceable but the replacement always came through. We have the best D in the league. Porter would be a backup on our team and is way too expensive. If he was let go by another team you might have the last laugh, but the Steelers always find a suitable LB to replace the departed. I felt the same way you did when we let Chad Brown go to the Seahags,but we didn't miss him for long.

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-27-2008, 01:36 PM

The Steelers signed Harrison to a 4 year $5.5 million dollar contract...the year before the Dolphins signed Porter to a five-year, $32 million contract.

Since Harrison is 1 1/2 sacks shy of Porter.... I can think of 25.6 million reasons that you should NOT have tried to come back a "I told you so" post.

BlastFurnace
12-27-2008, 02:48 PM
Let's compare the production of Porter to his replacement. Porter may have fire in his mouth, but what else would he bring to the table that Harrison does not...and more.

Porter never rushed the passer with the Steelers like Harrison does....and...you never see some 2nd string TE or a Running Back block James 1 on 1. That seemed to happen to Joey quite a bit.

The opposing team can barely keep James away from the QB and they are holding him on a consistent basis.

If you look at the stats. This season, Joey has 46 tackles , 17.5 sacks. 4 Forced Fumbles, and 0 Interceptions.

James Harrison has 101 tackles, 16 sacks, 7 Forced Fumbles, and 1 huge interception against the Chargers.

I also ask you...how many game changing plays does Porter make in comparison to James. How many of those 55 more tackles that Harrison has made made the difference between a win or a loss?

IMO, I wouldn't trade the current James Harrison for Joey Porter...in his prime...straight up.

fansince'76
12-27-2008, 02:56 PM

And Harrison has already shattered the Steelers' all-time single season sack record - for $25+ million less. Was there a point you were trying to make? If there was, you failed miserably at it. :coffee:

Preacher
12-27-2008, 03:03 PM
Not to mention what Porter has shown off the field. No thanks.

BlastFurnace
12-27-2008, 03:04 PM
Not to mention what Porter has shown off the field. No thanks.

To be fair though, James did slap his child's mother around last offseason. He's not a choir boy either.

lilyoder6
12-27-2008, 03:11 PM
plz if a steeler player jay walked the ppl on this board would be asking 4 there head

Preacher
12-27-2008, 03:26 PM
To be fair though, James did slap his child's mother around last offseason. He's not a choir boy either.

True...

However bad that one incident is (and yes, it is quite bad), I give him just a LITTLE credit for returning to the scene and taking responsibility (though he should have manned up and stopped himself first).

But the other side of the coin, and what I was thinking even more of, was that he doesn't run his mouth time and time again before every game, running down other teams, other players, etc.

He doesn't start fist fights before games (though to be technical, I guess that is an "on the field" incident.

All in all, it is a better trade-off. though I think you agree, just reminding me of Harrisons stupidity... which I had somehow forgotten about. Tell you this much, Harrison does it again, and I don't care who he is. I want him banned from the NFL.

BlastFurnace
12-27-2008, 03:31 PM
True...

However bad that one incident is (and yes, it is quite bad), I give him just a LITTLE credit for returning to the scene and taking responsibility (though he should have manned up and stopped himself first).

But the other side of the coin, and what I was thinking even more of, was that he doesn't run his mouth time and time again before every game, running down other teams, other players, etc.

He doesn't start fist fights before games (though to be technical, I guess that is an "on the field" incident.

All in all, it is a better trade-off. though I think you agree, just reminding me of Harrisons stupidity... which I had somehow forgotten about. Tell you this much, Harrison does it again, and I don't care who he is. I want him banned from the NFL.

Agreed..on all accounts.

PalmerSteel
12-27-2008, 03:54 PM
lets see, back then, pay all that money to porter, lose harrison, the defensive player of the year and much younger player, to free agency since he wouldnt be starting over porter, would have never drafted woodley, a much younger and fresher version of porter. so either would have porter or harrison/woodley right now with both of them cheaper than porter? love peezy, but NO THANKS! :helmet:

Steeldude
12-27-2008, 04:12 PM
thankfully porter is long gone. he should have been gone sooner

OneForTheToe
12-27-2008, 04:16 PM
I wish Porter the best. He and Troy led us to a Super Bowl on D. That does not mean thatI would trade him for Harrison. Also, if we'd have paid him whose contract would we not have done ... Aaron Smith, Troy or Ben? No thanks, I'll stick with what we got.

Thanks for your time in a Steelers' Uniform, Peezy ... and good luck the rest of your careeer save for against us.

The Duke
12-27-2008, 04:19 PM
Porter would be a good 3rd down pass rusher for us. That's it

He still sucks unbelievably at run stopping

Last week the chiefs oline totally dominated him

lilyoder6
12-27-2008, 06:08 PM
the first yr that porter was gone and was on the dolphins.. he didn't do jack shit.. they went 1-15 ffs....

u have porter who is batting 500 with having good seasons to where harrison is batting 1000...

i'll take harrison to this point

HometownGal
12-27-2008, 06:14 PM
Believe me - I loved Peezy when he wore the black 'n gold and thank him for his accomplishments with the Steelers, but I don't miss him one iota. We have more than compensated for his loss and life as we know it goes on.

stillers4me
12-27-2008, 08:27 PM
Joey is having a great year and I'm thrilled for him, but I do think it's his last hurrah.

Stlrs4Life
12-27-2008, 10:22 PM
Believe me - I loved Peezy when he wore the black 'n gold and thank him for his accomplishments with the Steelers, but I don't miss him one iota. We have more than compensated for his loss and life as we know it goes on.

Exactly. I don't miss him one bit.

ricksteelers55
12-27-2008, 11:44 PM
Let's compare the production of Porter to his replacement. Porter may have fire in his mouth, but what else would he bring to the table that Harrison does not...and more.

Porter never rushed the passer with the Steelers like Harrison does....and...you never see some 2nd string TE or a Running Back block James 1 on 1. That seemed to happen to Joey quite a bit.

The opposing team can barely keep James away from the QB and they are holding him on a consistent basis.

If you look at the stats. This season, Joey has 46 tackles , 17.5 sacks. 4 Forced Fumbles, and 0 Interceptions.

James Harrison has 101 tackles, 16 sacks, 7 Forced Fumbles, and 1 huge interception against the Chargers.

I also ask you...how many game changing plays does Porter make in comparison to James. How many of those 55 more tackles that Harrison has made made the difference between a win or a loss?

IMO, I wouldn't trade the current James Harrison for Joey Porter...in his prime...straight up.

Dont you forget a safety also? I think Silverback had the safety against the chargers...maybe im wrong but i think im not

anyway i kinda think the same way...i wouldnt trade JH for peezy in his prime

devilsdancefloor
12-28-2008, 12:35 AM
I might be a bit old school here, but you do your talking on the field and act like you have been there before. :tt02::tt02:

JackHammer
12-28-2008, 04:45 AM
I'd like to send a BIG THANKS to everyone who responded to this lame thread necro. I enjoyed reading the responses and it reinforced my original opinion that this had to be the absolute DUMBEST "I told you so" ever :rofl: :toofunny:

markymarc
12-28-2008, 05:44 PM
Joey was great while wearing the Steelers jersey. I am ecstatic that we have Harrison and Woodley rushing the QB now.