PDA

View Full Version : Debate- Salary Caps?

verks36
10-23-2007, 09:32 PM
Hey guys

I have a debate due this friday and it is on salary caps. I am debating why sports should have salary caps. I need some ideas. So if you guys have any good thoughts on why sports need salary caps just blurt them out.

Of course the guy i am debating against who doesnt want salary caps is a yankee fan.LOL

Thanks for the help

verks36

GBMelBlount
10-23-2007, 09:58 PM
Hey Verks. Great debate. Caps tend to create more "parity" and more equal competitinon for the most part in pro sports IMO. I think that can make sports more competitive and more enjoyable for more viewers. Real world, I'll take free market capitalism. BTW, where are those pix you were gonna post from your visit to the 'Burgh!!!

SteelCityMan786
10-23-2007, 10:48 PM
GB pretty much said what I was going to say. Not only does it create parity, it can also create more financial stability.

Borski
10-23-2007, 10:52 PM
Hey Verks. Great debate. Caps tend to create more "parity" and more equal competitinon for the most part in pro sports IMO. I think that can make sports more competitive and more enjoyable for more viewers. Real world, I'll take free market capitalism. BTW, where are those pix you were gonna post from your visit to the 'Burgh!!!

I agree, there is a place for free market capitalism, but in sports it benefits everyone to have a salary cap to keep teams competitive.

Take for Example Yankees vs Devil Rays, one team is sold out every single game and the other never have more then a few thousand in the seats.

in the NFL lets take to Pats vs the Raiders, although one team is very good and the other isn't they both sell out and thous would generate more overall revenue for the league.

MasterOfPuppets
10-23-2007, 11:14 PM
fans shouldn't have to suffer because of cheap owners, or owners who just can't match stienbrenner dollar for dollar. the size of the owners bank account should never be the determining factor when it comes to championships. one only has to look at the empty stadiums of the lower market teams to see what not having a cap is doing to baseball.....i'd dig up attendance stats on some lower market teams who struggle every year....and compare them to the big market teams.then i'd follow it up with the declining TV ratings for MLB... as compared to the growth of NFL and nascar.

revefsreleets
10-24-2007, 09:07 AM
Salary caps also serve the very important purpose of at least tamping down runaway salaries, which hurt everybody but a few players and their agents. Those costs have to be passed onto someone, and that is almost always going to be the end user (the fan).

You could also use the NBA's rookie cap as an example. The cap enables teams to quickly sign players (no holdouts) and makes the players earn their keep and prove they are worth the monster contracts they demand.

Borski
10-27-2007, 09:03 PM
How did the debate go?