PDA

View Full Version : Big Ben's numbers up under Anderson

stillers4me
10-25-2007, 05:45 AM
And as an added bonus......it really is ticking the Bungals fans off that their boy is in Pittsburgh!! :chuckle:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07298/828351-66.stm?cmpid=HBEHTML

Big Ben's numbers up under Anderson
Thursday, October 25, 2007
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Matt Freed / Post-Gazette
Steelers quarterbacks coach Ken Anderson talks with Ben Roethlisberger and Charlie Batch at an August practice session at the Steelers' South Side practice facility.Ben Roethlisberger's touchdown passes are up and his interceptions down. Somewhere, Ken Anderson has a hand in it.

The man Bengals owner Mike Brown this week called the most important player in that franchise's history, will return to Cincinnati for the first time as an enemy -- the quarterbacks coach of the Steelers.

"I think everybody's making a bigger deal of it than it is to me," Anderson said yesterday after practice. "It's not like I'm at the end of my playing career and going back to the team that you played for all those years."

Anderson, 58, played 16 seasons for the Bengals and coached for them another 10. He passed for 32,838 yards and 197 touchdowns in his career and ran for another 2,220 yards and 20 touchdowns. Twice he was among the 15 finalists for election to the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

He holds the NFL record for highest completion percentage in a season -- 70.55 in 1982.

It might come as no surprise then that Roethlisberger has completed 63.3 percent of his passes this season, which would be the highest of his career. He's also well on his way to throwing more touchdowns than ever; his 13 are just five fewer than his previous high. And his five interceptions are far off the pace of his 23 that led the NFL last season.

Roethlisberger at first looked at Anderson warily because he had grown close to the only quarterback coach he'd known here, Mark Whipple, who was not retained by Mike Tomlin.

"My old quarterback coach, Mark Whipple, and I were very close and still are very close, so it was really tough when he left," Roethlisberger said. "We still stay in contact, get to play golf sometime. So it was really tough when he left, but I think Ken's done a great job of stepping in and being a good quarterback coach for me."

Roethlisberger said Anderson has not tinkered with his mechanics but has helped him improve the mental part of his game.

"He's helped tremendously. He's more of an after-the-game kind of guy. [Tuesday] and Monday, we'll sit down and we'll go over what I did right and what I did wrong. That's where he's made the biggest difference to me.

"Anybody that played as long as he did and played as well as he did, it helps because it gives him credibility," Roethlisberger said. "When he tells you something, you listen to it."

Dick LeBeau was an assistant with the Bengals at times when Anderson played for them.

"I could always tell when Kenny was in there because when the guy would take one step the ball would be on target and right there," LeBeau said.

Steelers secondary coach Ray Horton played cornerback for the Bengals during Anderson's last four seasons there and sees how he has helped Roethlisberger.

"I thought he'd be real good for Ben, coming in as a league MVP, a Super Bowl player, holding the record for the highest percentage," Horton said. "Ben can kind of lean on him as a been-there-done-that kind of guy. If he says something, 'I can trust he knows what he's talking about.' "

Anderson played in Cincinnati from 1971-86. He served as the Bengals' quarterbacks coach and then offensive coordinator from 1993-2002. He was an assistant in Jacksonville the past four seasons before Tomlin hired him to serve under new offensive coordinator Bruce Arians.

"I think the offensive guys will tell you he's been a big help to Bruce as far as someone to lean on," Horton said.

Anderson downplays his role in Roethlisberger's improvement this season.

"The credit has to go to him and how hard he's worked at it. He's taking care of the football, he's making good decisions with it. I think that's something for Ben that was brought up a lot last year and that's something you always focus on, is taking care of the football, and he's done a pretty good job of that."

Anderson also credits Roethlisberger for his ability to scramble and throw on the run, something Anderson also excelled at.

"He has great escape ability. He's a big guy, he's tough to bring down and he has good instincts as far as leaving the pocket. And he has good vision of the field, he knows where people are. For the most part this year, when he's been moving he's made plays for us and made good decisions with the football."

TackleMeBen
10-25-2007, 08:23 AM
Oh my a positive article about ben.... is the world coming to an end???? lol

Atlanta Dan
10-25-2007, 12:29 PM
Oh my a positive article about ben.... is the world coming to an end???? lol

Don't lose hope - there is a sidebar article today in the P-G where Ben gets to take another shot at Cowher:

Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger on how Tomlin differs from former coach Bill Cowher:

"There is a lot of differences, just because they're very different people. The time schedule's different, and I think the way that he talks to you. If you screw up or you make a mistake, he wants to talk to you about it or encourage you, 'You're going to be OK,' whereas Cowher would yell at you or scream at you or something.":sofunny:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07298/828350-66.stm

TackleMeBen
10-25-2007, 12:54 PM
Don't lose hope - there is a sidebar article today in the P-G where Ben gets to take another shot at Cowher:

Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger on how Tomlin differs from former coach Bill Cowher:

"There is a lot of differences, just because they're very different people. The time schedule's different, and I think the way that he talks to you. If you screw up or you make a mistake, he wants to talk to you about it or encourage you, 'You're going to be OK,' whereas Cowher would yell at you or scream at you or something.":sofunny:

and this coming from the guy who said that he dont respond well to yelling... well that would explain all his hostile feelings toward cowher.

Preacher
10-25-2007, 12:59 PM

I am not sure that is a shot at Cowher as much as just the bold, plain truth. This is how this guy does it, this is how that guy does it... that is the difference.

Atlanta Dan
10-25-2007, 01:55 PM
I am not sure that is a shot at Cowher as much as just the bold, plain truth. This is how this guy does it, this is how that guy does it... that is the difference.

IMO not taking a shot at Cowher would be saying Tomlin is a good coach to play for and Cowher had a different style of coaching - the gist of the printed quote (maybe he was laughing when he said it, which might put it in a different context) was Tomlin is a good guy and Cowher is a jerk. Just because you are telling what you regard to be the truth does not mean you are not sending (another) zinger. Ben simply will not give it up when he is baited into making these statements.

Maybe someone can ask Cowher the difference between Peyton Manning and Ben, to which Cowher can recite Peyton's attributes and then describe Ben by saying only that Ben still has trouble reading defenses, still forces throws into coverage, and still has problems throwing the deep ball - that would be bold, plain truth too but the net effect would be a shot at Ben.

HometownGal
10-25-2007, 03:38 PM
I've always respected Ken Anderson - even when he was a Bungle. He was a leader unlike Cartoon, not to mention one helluva good QB. He used to give the Steelers fits!

I'm glad to hear that he and Ben have a great rapport and Kenny's experiences and guidance have aided Ben in improving his game. :thumbsup:

As for Ben's comments regarding Tomlin vis-a-vis Cowher - I take it as Ben just speaking his mind and as Coach Cowher would have said - "it is what it is".

Preacher
10-25-2007, 03:55 PM
IMO not taking a shot at Cowher would be saying Tomlin is a good coach to play for and Cowher had a different style of coaching - the gist of the printed quote (maybe he was laughing when he said it, which might put it in a different context) was Tomlin is a good guy and Cowher is a jerk. Just because you are telling what you regard to be the truth does not mean you are not sending (another) zinger. Ben simply will not give it up when he is baited into making these statements.

Maybe someone can ask Cowher the difference between Peyton Manning and Ben, to which Cowher can recite Peyton's attributes and then describe Ben by saying only that Ben still has trouble reading defenses, still forces throws into coverage, and still has problems throwing the deep ball - that would be bold, plain truth too but the net effect would be a shot at Ben.

See, I wouldn't call that a shot either, just an honest assessment. to me, a shot would be, He hasn't learned to throw it even after all this time.

Maybe it is just me, but the words don't seem to carry that weight.

RoethlisBURGHer
10-25-2007, 05:04 PM
Well if anyone thought Cowher was the type of coach that asked you what you were thinking in a nice way, then they never watched Cowher coach a football game.

steelermuzik
11-14-2007, 10:26 AM
I wasn't sure if I should start a new thread for this or add it to this one, but is it just me or has Big Ben's spiral gotten tighter and more accurate of late? The past couple of weeks I've just found myself :jawdrop: over some of his throws. He's always had some zip on the ball and he's always been able to throw it deep. But I thought his deep balls used to wobble more. Right now I'm really impressed with how consistent he is playing. Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

CanadianSteel
11-14-2007, 02:49 PM
Now that you mention I think Ben's spirals have gotten tighter looking at some recent replays.
Good observation .......

jjpro11
11-14-2007, 02:54 PM
I wasn't sure if I should start a new thread for this or add it to this one, but is it just me or has Big Ben's spiral gotten tighter and more accurate of late? The past couple of weeks I've just found myself :jawdrop: over some of his throws. He's always had some zip on the ball and he's always been able to throw it deep. But I thought his deep balls used to wobble more. Right now I'm really impressed with how consistent he is playing. Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

he seemed to always have some friggin thumb injury prior to this year. that and the fact that he was overall physically weaker last year are probably the main factors.

steel striker
11-14-2007, 07:26 PM
I agree Ben is healthy this year and, we are seeing what a great qb he has become. He is throwing the ball the best that I have ever seen him. Plus he making good decisions on the field and, he has a goof feel for the pass rush that's why he making some really big plays. Phil Simms said the steelers are second on thowing the ball down the field only the pats are a little more than us. With the game on the line I have great faith in Ben to win it for us. People around here where I live call me crazy because, I keep telling them Ben and the steelers are going to shock the world again when we bust the pats.

SEMP
11-14-2007, 11:13 PM
From my vantage point his throws have improved greatly. I don't get to watch very many games because I live out of state ( my wife thought she would surprise me with Sunday ticket turns out she messed up and got dish network for a year) I watched the replay of the Browns game on NFL network. I called my Dad and told him about how I was blown away with Ben's play, he said that its been like that all year. In my opinion Ben's only current flaw is needing a little more focus on situational football. I would like to see him take less chances with the ball and his body when they are up by 2 scores or more or if in the red zone and building on a lead. Most of the great QBs knew when to roll the dice and when to throw the ball away. That being said Ben is still young and hopefully has many more years to perfect the mental part of his game.