PDA

View Full Version : Dr.Z: Steelers headed for a season collapse.

Edman
10-25-2007, 03:13 PM
http://forums.stillers.com/forums/default.aspx?g=posts&t=1916

Talked about here.

The second consecutive road game against a division rival and a team wanting to turn it's season around. I can't really say I blame him for his upset pick. Was the Denver loss a bye week hangover or just a sign of things to come?

HometownGal
10-25-2007, 03:32 PM
I'd have to say that Dr. Z needs to put the crack pipe down. The Steelers were one of the best in the NFL before the bye and had a bit of a meltdown last week in Denver - sh it happens. I believe that our guys believe in themselves and in each other - they're going to step it up this week in Cincy and slap that egg all over Dr. Z's puss. :egg:

Geez - what is it with these talking heads getting down on the black and gold after 2 losses out of 6 games???? :dang::dang: Oh that's right silly me - we aren't the Cheatsies or the Colts. What on earth was I thinking? :banging: :rolleyes:

rbryan
10-25-2007, 04:39 PM
TG for Dr zzzzzzz. I can stop worrying about the patsies beating us twice this year.

Everyone knows those guys at SI are right on with thier predictions.

delhess
10-25-2007, 04:50 PM
if the steelers rebound with a big win, i think it will be a huge statement. if the steelers lose this one (especially if they lose it, not get beat) it could be a vey bad sign.

this team has always played well when in a tight spot, i don't think it is near time to count them out , even if they lose on sunday.

Atlanta Dan
10-25-2007, 07:22 PM
this team has always played well when in a tight spot, i don't think it is near time to count them out , even if they lose on sunday.

After watching that game again last night on NFL Replay, it came down to lack of pressure on the pass rush, sloppy pass coverage schemes, and simply not hitting open plays. Ben had an excellent second half but, in addition to drops by Ward, Ben had Parker wide open around the 15 when he had about 10 seconds to throw & threw it up for grabs to Holmes in the end zone prior to the 65 yard FG attempt, as well as earlier overthrowing Ward who as wide open down the middle. Add that to the turnovers and it was what it was.

IMO the over/under on Sunday's game should be in the low 60s. I assume the Bengals cannot stop the Steelers and will need to see a turnaroud before assuming Carson Palmer will not have a huge day.

Edman
10-25-2007, 09:45 PM
I said it before and I'll say it again: Turnovers, shoddy execution and defensive gaffes killed the Steelers in Denver.

The Steelers can beat the Bengals, if they don't trip over themselves doing it.

CanadianSteel
10-25-2007, 10:40 PM
Hoping you all are right and we bounce back with a big win vs division rival.
This is an important game and i think If we win this week then we also win the next 2 at home va Balt & Cleveland.

If we hold onto the ball we should win as the fumble return last week was huge.

Mosca
10-25-2007, 10:54 PM
LOL, well, he's either going to be right, or wrong. That's for sure.

Oh, and no one will remember what he predicted, either. Just like no one remembers what he predicted for JUST LAST WEEK'S games.

It's all filler. Time waster stuff.

Tom

Galax Steeler
10-26-2007, 03:51 AM
I don't think we are headed for a season collapse but we need to make a statment this week by beating the bungholes.

delhess
10-26-2007, 05:48 AM
I don't think we are headed for a season collapse but we need to make a statment this week by beating the bungholes.

i don't think we even need a statement game. we all know the are good enough. if the steelers have a solid win, and overcome some adversity doing it, i will be happy. there is no doubt this team can have a great year, i'm just not sure that they will. we need good clean football on sunday, and some serious focus!

the one game at a time mentality is very important at this point in the season.

Blitzburgh Gator
10-26-2007, 06:22 AM
In the next 3 games....

If we go 3-0 - These other teams are not good enough to go on much of a winning streak, so at least a 2 game lead on everyone with a jump on the tiebreakers would be absolutely huge. Pretty much the division race would be over..

If we go 2-1 - Still in very good shape with a 6-3 record, still the division favorites.

If we go 1-2 - Ugh, not good. Better fix things quick or we're in trouble.

0-3 - Not going to happen, and not even going to think about it...

We have a real chance to put a stranglehold on the AFC North in the next 3 games. We are a better team than the other 3, so it comes down to the preparation and execution for us.
If we somehow lose this division, we only have ourselves to blame.

GBMelBlount
10-26-2007, 08:20 AM
After watching that game again last night on NFL Replay, it came down to lack of pressure on the pass rush

If you don't factor in our monster sack week against Fry/Cleve, sacks very ave as they were last year. Does the creative blitzing ever leave us more exposed if we aren't getting additional pressure from it?

rbryan
10-26-2007, 08:31 AM
Time to get our number one and two draft picks involved in the game plan to muster up some pressure. A number one should already be contributing or he shouldn't have been drafted to begin with. Are we just grooming this guy to be the redskins big FA aquisition down the road??? I'm not saying they should be starting but lets rotate them in a few plays to give the starters a breather.

Steeldude
10-26-2007, 11:13 AM
luckily the NFL is full of bad teams. the steelers will need those bad teams if they want to make it into the post-season. the O-line is a complete joke. i have been saying for over 5 years that the steelers need to take their O-line seriously in the draft.

it took them long enough to address the LB situation.

SteelerFanInCA
10-26-2007, 11:26 AM
What is Dr Z about 100 years old now? Every time I see him near the model Brooke he looks like he's going to have a heart attack. I love the guys who claim they can write yet have never played a second of football in there life.

rbryan
10-26-2007, 11:49 AM
I would like to know when accountability for the hundreds of predictions that are wrong comes into play. Most of these guys aren't any better at predictions than the average guy sitting next to you at the bar.

Dino 6 Rings
10-26-2007, 12:14 PM
I have a prediction to Rival that of Dr. Z or whoever...I predict that I will watch the game in my Troy P Jersey (on now on Friday Jeans day so its a sure fire win) and that I will scream at the TV and demand a 1st down run call instead of trying to be sneaky and throw on first every effing time.

Other than that, the Bengals are team ready to implode completely. When we dominate them, and beat the snot out of their skulls, they will fall apart completely. There are going to be some Roster changes of significant proportions on that team at the end of the year. Chad? maybe so. That team is a mess and needs cleaned up from the top to the bottom. The Steelers will blitz more, pressure Carson (I'm so great) Palmer and win this game easily. There will be no stupid penalties for head hunting, Troy! or for holding on a 3rd and long conversion and we will dominate the TOP and keep that "high powered" offense off the field.

Steelers win. Bengals implode, and I will Rejoice...those are my predictions.

rbryan
10-26-2007, 12:20 PM
I predict that Dr zzzzz along with most sports magazines(due to the internet) are on the same path as the dinosaurs. Does anyone actually subscribe to SI anymore??? By the time that rag is on the street every story is a week old.

Atlanta Dan
10-26-2007, 12:36 PM
What is Dr Z about 100 years old now? Every time I see him near the model Brooke he looks like he's going to have a heart attack. I love the guys who claim they can write yet have never played a second of football in there life.

Ummm - Z did not play pro but he definitely played ball

As a 15-year-old, Zimmerman sparred with Ernest Hemingway in a Manhattan gym. He sustained four broken noses as an offensive lineman in high school (Horace Mann High in the Bronx, N.Y.), at two colleges (Stanford and Columbia) and for his Army team (the Western Area Command Rhinos, in Germany). He also played semi-professionally in New Jersey for the Paterson Pioneers and the Morristown Colonials

Before joining SI, Zimmerman worked for the New York Journal-American and the New York World-Telegram & Sun, and spent 13 years at the New York Post, where he covered pro football and three Olympic Games. He was one of the few journalists to get close to the Israeli compound during the 1972 hostage-taking in Munich; he bucked two lines of security guards and took a rifle butt to the head.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/writers/dr_z/archive/index.html

Z has been covering football for about 45 years and is the real deal - his original edition of Thinking Man's Guide To Pro Football that I read in the 70s opened my eyes up to what I was seeing on the field.

Mosca
10-26-2007, 02:03 PM
Again; it's all filler. No one remembers any of last week's predictions, let alone last years, or those from 5 years ago. The guy has to produce a column, so once a week he guesses. Same as every other writer.

Tom

Atlanta Dan
10-26-2007, 02:40 PM
Again; it's all filler. No one remembers any of last week's predictions, let alone last years, or those from 5 years ago. The guy has to produce a column, so once a week he guesses. Same as every other writer.

Tom

Agreed - at least the picks might be of some use to gamblers - the complete waste of time is the weekly power rankings

Elvis
10-26-2007, 03:56 PM
The Steelers are maybe not as good as I was starting to think. Do I think that they are gonna colapse now?... No, I dont. But they must get back to the better run blocking and testing down field more on the passing game. The 1st 2 or 3 games, they were throwing deep atleast 2 or 3 times a game. Well, the last few games they have stopped unless it is Ben scrambling out of the pocket. The Steelers could go 3-0 in the next 3 and be in very good shape. But as we all know as Steelers fans.. the Bengals are gonna play as hard against us as anyone they will play all year. The Ravens are always gonna give us a hard time with their defense, but their offense is struggling as bad as I can ever remember. We should Win that Game!! The Browns are looking very much improved and that 2nd meeting wont be as easy as the first one.
:tt02:

NV STEELERS 723
10-26-2007, 06:24 PM
I'd have to say that Dr. Z needs to put the crack pipe down. The Steelers were one of the best in the NFL before the bye and had a bit of a meltdown last week in Denver - sh it happens. I believe that our guys believe in themselves and in each other - they're going to step it up this week in Cincy and slap that egg all over Dr. Z's puss. :egg:

Geez - what is it with these talking heads getting down on the black and gold after 2 losses out of 6 games???? :dang::dang: Oh that's right silly me - we aren't the Cheatsies or the Colts. What on earth was I thinking? :banging: :rolleyes:

HTG....maybe Bob Smizik and Dr. Z are in bed together?:sofunny::sofunny::sofunny::sofunny:

SteelDogFan
10-26-2007, 07:38 PM
Even if the Steelers lose against the Bengals I totally disagree. The loss to Denver was a disappointment but not a complete surprise. If Cutler and the Broncos played ball like they new how they would have not had the record they had when the Steelers went to Denver.

At the beginning of the season I thought the Denver game could go either way and when I saw the Steelers come out kinda lack-luster in the first half (also stated by John Madden) I knew they were in trouble. the fact that they came back and almost won in the end tells me that at half time Tomlin lit a fire under their buts.

The main thing I see with our team is the defensive secondary and no fullback in the backfield.

The game coming up against Cinci is what I believe has turned into our most heated rival. I know there is more hitting against the Ravens but after we knocked the Bengals out of the play-offs last year they are going to be fired up for this one. Add to that the Steelers have beaten them the last four times they played in Cinci and you've got a team who will look at this game as a play-off game and nothing less.

I disagree with his post.

delhess
10-26-2007, 09:03 PM
I would like to know when accountability for the hundreds of predictions that are wrong comes into play. Most of these guys aren't any better at predictions than the average guy sitting next to you at the bar.

these guys aren't getting paid for getting the predictions right, they get paid for interesting commentary, ie selling a story. all you need is an opinion and a megaphone to get ratings, and that's all they are after.

did you ever watch the weather? they predict lots of rain when it's raining, and lots of sun when it's clear. after last years performance, everyone wants to be the guy that callled the collapse of pittsburgh (just like everyone wants to anoint the f---ing patriots) after every loss.

last year everyone predicted pittsburgh to win the division.

these guys know little, and it means NOTHING