PDA

View Full Version : One possible area of concern

revefsreleets
10-28-2007, 04:57 PM
I don't have the stats on hurries or knockdowns, but we had zero sacks against Carson today. It's not a major concern because he seemed to take a lot of 3 step drops and they did a lot of stuff to try and keep us honest, but the fact is that the Bengals offensive line is really overrated and Willie Anderson didn't play (although I think he's past his prime and overrated too). I know we did manage to force Palmer a bit today, but we need to step up the pressure when we play better teams.

Black@Gold Forever32
10-28-2007, 05:00 PM
The defense didn't have much pressure against Cutler either...I don't know if LeBeau doesn't wanted to tip his hand to much and is saving something masterful for the Pats but really the past couple weeks the Steelers just seem to playing simple stuff against offenses.....

GBMelBlount
10-28-2007, 05:10 PM
I don't have the stats on hurries or knockdowns, but we had zero sacks against Carson today. It's not a major concern because he seemed to take a lot of 3 step drops and they did a lot of stuff to try and keep us honest, but the fact is that the Bengals offensive line is really overrated and Willie Anderson didn't play (although I think he's past his prime and overrated too). I know we did manage to force Palmer a bit today, but we need to step up the pressure when we play better teams.

I couldn't agree more. Other than the Cleveland massacre, IMO the pressure & sacks have been pretty lackluster.

Sharkissle29
10-28-2007, 05:16 PM
yea if we play a game like that against brady, things could get ugly. but i have faith

Atlanta Dan
10-28-2007, 05:19 PM
IMO we are well past the point in the season we are saving blitz packages for future games - Tomlin has imposed his will as HC and this has become a cover 2 team (safeties 10 yards off the line) - Blitzburgh is a memory, which of course ties into why Troy seems lost

moedap
10-28-2007, 05:31 PM
I am along the lines of them dialing it back. There were no sacks but Carson was rushed today. The 3 step drops were a result of the looks our D was giving. Bend but dont break. I noticed the blitzes coming when Cinn was closer to the red zone. Once Cinn entered the red zone our D went back to the zone and blanketed every thing except the middle underneath.

RunWillieRun
10-28-2007, 05:48 PM
IMO we are well past the point in the season we are saving blitz packages for future games - Tomlin has imposed his will as HC and this has become a cover 2 team (safeties 10 yards off the line) - Blitzburgh is a memory, which of course ties into why Troy seems lost

Yeah this was my thought as well. I still can't get used to seeing the D play the cover 2....and I am not a big fan of it. I know we haven't seen much of it, but it seems to be a bit of a waste of Troy's talent. Hopefully he just needs some time to find his role in this style of defense.

Oh well....we got an important win today. Always good to 'beat dem bengals' :cheers:

Steel_Bus_24
10-28-2007, 06:09 PM
Our D has been swiss cheese the past two weeks, thank god they buckled down in the redzone or that game could have got ugly. The Colts or PATS would have dropped 35+ on us today.

We better get it clicking or we'll be thumped just like last year against the Ravens. I don't expect or O to pet up many points next week.

Atlanta Dan
10-28-2007, 06:35 PM
Our D has been swiss cheese the past two weeks, thank god they buckled down in the redzone or that game could have got ugly. The Colts or PATS would have dropped 35+ on us today.

We better get it clicking or we'll be thumped just like last year against the Ravens. I don't expect or O to pet up many points next week.

You expect the Ravens to move the ball? They have been horrible on offense all season.

The transition of the D to Tomlin;'s concepts is havings some rocky moments, but at this point the Browns are more likely to exploit the problems on D than the Ravens are.

Ravens D may keep them in it but I cannot see that Ravens offense scoring 17 points next Monday night.

Steeldude
10-28-2007, 06:41 PM
The defense didn't have much pressure against Cutler either...I don't know if LeBeau doesn't wanted to tip his hand to much and is saving something masterful for the Pats but really the past couple weeks the Steelers just seem to playing simple stuff against offenses.....

lol...lebeau isn't hiding anything for later. this is what you will see for the rest of the year and the rest of the time lebeau is here. the DBs will stay 8 to 12 yards off of the WRs and the opposing QB will take 3-step drops.

Black@Gold Forever32
10-28-2007, 06:42 PM
You expect the Ravens to move the ball? They have been horrible on offense all season.

The transition of the D to Tomlin;'s concepts is havings some rocky moments, but at this point the Browns are more likely to exploit the problems on D than the Ravens are.

Ravens D may keep them in it but I cannot see that Ravens offense scoring 17 points next Monday night.

Only weapons they have on offense is McGahee and Heap.......The Steelers D will shut down Willis.....With Heap he has battled nagging injuries all year......Ok Mason and Clayton are decent WRs and that one kid that went to Oregon has played well at times this year but the Ravens QBs are terrible...lol I think age has finally caught up to Steelers killer Steve McNair and Boller is just well Boller...lol So I'm with you on the Ravens offense not scoring 17 points..

I thought the Ravens were over-rated last year and this year they don't have their best defensive player in Adailus Thomas.......They miss him so bad and I don't care what Ray Ray says...lol He is aging himself and is far from the player he once was......

If the Steelers play smart and don't beat themselves then they should win this game by at least double digits....No special teams TDs also.........That Yamon Figurs has the speed to do so damage on kick returns and the Ravens do throw Ed Reed out there on punt returns at times....

Steelers -21

Ravens-10

Steeldude
10-28-2007, 06:49 PM

steel_bus, it's always been that way. throwing short passes always shreds the steelers' defense. all lebeau needs to do is grow some balls and play the DBs closer to the WRs. the defense hasn't been the same since capers left. it may have been lebeau's design, but capers ran it better. of course capers did have a very good set of LBs. the group now is pretty much average all around.

Black@Gold Forever32
10-28-2007, 06:53 PM
steel_bus, it's always been that way. throwing short passes always shreds the steelers' defense. all lebeau needs to do is grow some balls and play the DBs closer to the WRs. the defense hasn't been the same since capers left. it may have been lebeau's design, but capers ran it better. of course capers did have a very good set of LBs. the group now is pretty much average all around.

Not only did Caper's have a better set of LBs....What about the secondary?.....lol That secondary of Woodson (before the knee injury),Lake, Perry was a great secondary.....

lilyoder6
10-28-2007, 07:04 PM
maybe they just been playing the cover 2 to make themselves better at it when they do go against teams that like to pass.. i think once they nail down the cover 2, that they will blitz a lil bit more...

Edman
10-28-2007, 07:10 PM
I seen no swiss cheese D in Denver today. I saw a bend-don't-break D out there. Besides that lone Douchmanzadeh TD(coming off the Ben INT), the Bungles didn't do crap all game.

X-Terminator
10-28-2007, 07:26 PM
Like everyone else, I want the D to play to their fullest potential every game. But to be honest, I don't really care how it gets done, as long as it gets done and the team wins. Remember, it isn't how many yards you give up, it's how many POINTS you give up, and it should be noted that the Steelers lead the NFL with just over 13 points allowed/game. You do that, with the way our offense has been putting up points, and you win. Plain and simple.

slippy
10-28-2007, 07:38 PM
umm.....the D gave up 13 points today.

what the eff are you guys looking at???

Haiku_Dirtt
10-28-2007, 08:09 PM
Doing just enough to win at Paul Brown Stadium could be the plan. We don't want injuries.

I love watching Anthony Smith play football. He looks for the chum in the water.:helmet:

jjpro11
10-28-2007, 08:17 PM
ok... all the talk of lebeau holding back the defense yada yada yada has got to stop. we are playing every game to win.. not to save some "secret defense package" for the patriots.. our season does not revolve around that game.

i do wonder how much the defense is missing aaron smith though. i know we shut out the seahawks without polamalu and hampton.. but i think hoke is a better replacement for hampton than eason is for smith. the past two games our pressure has been severely lacking, and both games have been without smith.

ytsan2q
10-28-2007, 08:26 PM
I'm concerned about the way the Bengals backup running back was running the ball today. It appeared as though Palmer was seeing something and audibling to the correct running play. Hopefully we will change it up a little before other teams pick up on this. We have also been showing our defenses to early giving the offense a chance to pick up our blitzes.

Atlanta Dan
10-28-2007, 08:37 PM
I don't care what Ray Ray says...lol He is aging himself and is far from the player he once was......

In response to Lewis and Thomas sniping at each other, former Raven Ed Hartwell had this to say about Ray Ray, the man and the myth:

As for Hartwell, he not only shares a friendship with Thomas but also a bond, because the two both played under Lewis's large shadow in Baltimore, which wasn't always the easiest assignment. Hartwell wasn't the only linebacker who sometimes felt Lewis received credit for plays he wasn't always making.

"You noticed that, too?" Hartwell said, when asked if Lewis sometimes jumped on top of a pile to be credited with a tackle. "Ray has had a great career and obviously he's gone out and made plays. That's who he is.

"But sometimes he might barely touch a guy, and if that's what worked for Ray and the TV would keep mentioning he was in on another tackle, why wouldn't you do it?" :sofunny:

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2007/10/28/staying_with_the_no_huddle/?page=3

Black@Gold Forever32
10-28-2007, 08:42 PM
In response to Lewis and Thomas sniping at each other, former Raven Ed Hartwell had this to say about Ray Ray, the man and the myth:

As for Hartwell, he not only shares a friendship with Thomas but also a bond, because the two both played under Lewis's large shadow in Baltimore, which wasn't always the easiest assignment. Hartwell wasn't the only linebacker who sometimes felt Lewis received credit for plays he wasn't always making.

"You noticed that, too?" Hartwell said, when asked if Lewis sometimes jumped on top of a pile to be credited with a tackle. "Ray has had a great career and obviously he's gone out and made plays. That's who he is.

"But sometimes he might barely touch a guy, and if that's what worked for Ray and the TV would keep mentioning he was in on another tackle, why wouldn't you do it?" :sofunny:

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2007/10/28/staying_with_the_no_huddle/?page=3

Thats funny and thats a good point...I always thought Ray was over-rated myself I crack up when some people think Ray is the best MLB ever......I guess these people never heard of Jack Lambert,Dick Butkus,Ray Nitschke,Willie Lanier and Mike Singletary....lol

He was a great player but nowhere near the best MLB ever...lol Wouldn't make my top five personally...Now I didn't see four in those top five and only remember Singletary at the end of his career but I have studied the history of the NFL and those would be my top five...My opinion don't matter though...lol

Preacher
10-28-2007, 08:43 PM
Not only did Caper's have a better set of LBs....What about the secondary?.....lol That secondary of Woodson (before the knee injury),Lake, Perry was a great secondary.....

That isn't the issue.

The issue is that around 2001 a team found out the right way to counter the Zone-blitz scheme. Since that game, any team that can throw the ball has tried to play the same way.. 3 steps and throw quick inside routes... or outside routes.

It works because our CB's have to play 10 yards off since they have run support responsibility, covering holes left by LB's that are blitzing.

It has nothing to do with the cover-2... It has everything to do with the typical LeBeau defense that has been figured out. The problem for other teams however, is that you have to have a very good QB and at least two good receivers to run against us.

Black@Gold Forever32
10-28-2007, 08:53 PM
That isn't the issue.

The issue is that around 2001 a team found out the right way to counter the Zone-blitz scheme. Since that game, any team that can throw the ball has tried to play the same way.. 3 steps and throw quick inside routes... or outside routes.

It works because our CB's have to play 10 yards off since they have run support responsibility, covering holes left by LB's that are blitzing.

It has nothing to do with the cover-2... It has everything to do with the typical LeBeau defense that has been figured out. The problem for other teams however, is that you have to have a very good QB and at least two good receivers to run against us.

I know trust me.......I think you're talking about the game when we lost to the Bengals and they ate up our defense with just passing....Which was the blueprint for the Pats and Raiders to beat us in the begining of the 2002 season....I watched the games myself...lol and remember them well......lol Which happens in todays NFL with all the film watching that goes on....

Plus I don't understand why you're pointing this out to me?....I was just simply replying to the guy that stated Capers had better overall unit of LBs but he also had a better overall secondary.......

HometownGal
10-28-2007, 09:03 PM
I've been bit ching about the lack of a pass rush for the past several weeks. It seems to have been MIA since Week #1 and it needs to resurface and soon.

Preacher
10-28-2007, 09:05 PM
I know trust me.......I think you're talking about the game when we lost to the Bengals and they ate up our defense with just passing....Which was the blueprint for the Pats and Raiders to beat us in the begining of the 2002 season....I watched the games myself...lol and remember them well......lol Which happens in todays NFL with all the film watching that goes on....

Plus I don't understand why you're pointing this out to me?....I was just simply replying to the guy that stated Capers had better overall unit of LBs but he also had a better overall secondary.......

Cause yours just seemed to be the last in a series talking about Lebeau's defense, Dom Capers, etc. etc. Thats all.

Black@Gold Forever32
10-28-2007, 09:06 PM
I've been bit ching about the lack of a pass rush for the past several weeks. It seems to have been MIA since Week #1 and it needs to resurface and soon.

It would be nice to see if the kids Woodley / Timmons could improve the pass rush....Sure they're rooks but so was Ben at one time....To me the only way you improve is by playing....

BozMan
10-28-2007, 09:34 PM
It would be nice to see if the kids Woodley / Timmons could improve the pass rush....Sure they're rooks but so was Ben at one time....To me the only way you improve is by playing....

Didn't Tomlin say after the Denver game that Woodley had earned more playing time because of his sacks? I don't remember seeing Woodley on the field much at all today. Anyone know how many snaps he played?

And yes, Aaron Smith needs to get healthy ASAP.

slippy
10-28-2007, 10:16 PM
hey guys, the D plan today was "defend the pass" not "blitz the three step drop". and guess what...IT WORKED! the D gave up 13 points to a high octane O.

i believe our D is becoming a flexible machine that can adapt to any style of offence, from smashmouth to run anf shoot. this is necessary in today's game. it's not 1994 anymore, you can't just "do what you do" and hope to win every week.

PS: aaron smith is missed mor than any of us will ever know.

Preacher
10-28-2007, 10:23 PM
hey guys, the D plan today was "defend the pass" not "blitz the three step drop". and guess what...IT WORKED! the D gave up 13 points to a high octane O.

i believe our D is becoming a flexible machine that can adapt to any style of offence, from smashmouth to run anf shoot. this is necessary in today's game. it's not 1994 anymore, you can't just "do what you do" and hope to win every week.

That is a very good point!

Black@Gold Forever32
10-28-2007, 10:23 PM
Aaron Smith to me is the most important player on that defense since there is nobody really behind him...lol Plus the guy is a very good player.....

We all saw Chris Hoke step up in 2004 when Big Casey went down in the Dallas game that year....No I don't think Hoke is as good as Casey but he is still a very good player...

As for Troy I use to think he was the most important player on D but really he has had a down year....Now it might the cover 2 but even the few times he has been used in his Taz role this year he hasn't been effective....0 INTs in his last 12 games...yikes....Plus he has no sacks.....I don't know what the problem is for sure but its clear Troy isn't the same player this year....

steelpride12
10-28-2007, 11:15 PM
I think we play diff. defense depending on the team or offense we are playing that particular week. Some teams it's better to blitz or drop in a zone or mabey a zone blitz. Dick is a guy who can figure that out and figure out what should be practiced more.

Our defense is like number one overall in yards allowed and like 2nd against the run, sacks or not its good!

jjpro11
10-28-2007, 11:30 PM

well it worked perfectly against seattle. not so much so against denver. i just hope they are capable of getting after the qb when they really need to.