PDA

View Full Version : Week 9 could be pivotal

lamberts-lost-tooth
10-29-2007, 12:25 PM
The Steelers enter week 9 with a one game lead over the rival Browns and Ravens, with the lowley Bengals trailing by 3 games.

With the Bengals playing the Bills and the Browns playing the Seahawks on Sunday, Pittsburgh could go into the Monday night matchup against the hated Ratbirds with the opportunity to pad their division lead to 2 games.

The Seahawks are one point dogs against Cleveland and that is probably more because of Clevelands home field advantage than because of anything else. Seattle could very easily take this game from the #32 ranked defense in the league.

The Bills are 3 point favorites over the Bengals and this will be a battle of inept defenses. The game will be at Buffalo where the 29th ranked passing defense of the Buffalo Bills will try and stop Palmer and company. On the other side the #31 ranked Bengal defense will try and stop...well......anything.

I personally think we will see the Seahawks and Bengals steal wins on the road. So when we all get ready for Monday night we will probably see the Bengals at 3-5 and the Browns at 4-4.

A victory over division rival Baltimore on Monday will put the Ravens at 4-4 and give us a two-game lead and the best case scenerio division would look like this.

Steelers 6-2
Browns 4-4
Ravens 4-4
Bengals 2-6 (Probably 3-5)

However this week is so pivotal that under the worst case scenerio of our beloved Steelers losing their prime-time matchup, and victories by the Bengals and Browns can put us in a three way tie (not counting division wins) and winning the division ONLY because of the divisional record. The standing would look like this:

Steelers 5-3 (2-1 Division)
Browns 5-3 (2-1 Division)
Ravens 5-3 (1-2 Division)
Bengals 3-5 (1-2 Division)

If their was ever a time to bring our "A" game it will be this week. Not that any off us need an incentive to beat the Ratbirds, but make no mistake the Ravens KNOW that this week is THE week to scratch,bite and fight if they want to stay in the race.

Mosca
10-29-2007, 12:33 PM
Who we beat:

Browns (before they found their feet)
Bengals
Niners
Buffalo
Seahawks

Who beat us:

Cards
Broncos

We're 4-0 against awful teams, and 1-2 against average teams. Damn right we need to bring our A game. We need to bring our A+++ game.

Edman
10-29-2007, 12:48 PM
Now all of the sudden the Seahawks are an average team? Yeah, the Browns found their feet...against two of the worst teams in the league. Not that hard to do.

The Steelers don't need anymore incentive to get up and beat the Rats. If they do not get up for this game, I definately don't see how they'll get up for the stronger teams.

lamberts-lost-tooth
10-29-2007, 12:54 PM
Who we beat:

Browns (before they found their feet)
Bengals
Niners
Buffalo
Seahawks

Who beat us:

Cards
Broncos

We're 4-0 against awful teams, and 1-2 against average teams. Damn right we need to bring our A game. We need to bring our A+++ game.

Reports are that everyone ,other than their 2nd TE, will be healthy and on the field.

(I wouldnt call Denver an "average" team ...#1 ranked pass defense...and #6 ranked total offense. Treating them as average cost us a game)

Lord Stiller
10-29-2007, 01:45 PM
This is a must win game IMO. Would really put us in control of the division and would be some payback from last season's massacres

I think we need to change up our defense this game. I understand playing that cover-2 against an explosive offense like Cinci's but there is no reason to play like that against a Ravens offense with no verical passing game. We need to pressure the QB and eliminate the 10 yard passes cuz thats all they got. We also need to shutdown McGahee big time

Atlanta Dan
10-29-2007, 02:31 PM
After looking at the rest of the Browns schedule it is essential the Steelers win these next 2 games. Cleveland could easily go 10-6.:jawdrop:

onthebus36
10-29-2007, 02:59 PM
The Browns are winning and that is the important thing (for them) and I think it is possible they go 10-6 so they are not to be dismissed. This is not the same team we dismantled week one.

That said, in my opinion, any divisional game, especially at home, is a must win. The Ravens beat us up pretty good last year so the division goes through them. It would also be nice to pick up some steam and reel off three divisional wins in a row.

Questions:

Does anyone know Aaron Smith's status? He's a guy we need for this game and stopping the Raven's rush.

Also, who is starting at QB for the Ravens? I assume McNair will start but I haven't seen an injury update on him in a while.

Hines0wnz
10-29-2007, 11:02 PM
This is the first weekend of November so all the games become important.

fansince'76
10-29-2007, 11:09 PM
All sixteen games are important. Why? Because, quite simply, there are only sixteen games in the regular season - the margin of error is small to begin with. Last year at this exact same time we were 2-5 and the playoffs were a pipe dream, especially considering how tough the AFC is.

Steel_Bus_24
10-29-2007, 11:33 PM
Yeah this game is huge!

They better come out sticking hard and ready to fight the entire 60 minutes because they sure will be. They know what is at stake and we better too.

I want to see McNair on his ass all night long and their receivers getting manhandled.

If we can't bring our A game for a game this huge, then we don't deserve anything this year. This is a home Monday Night Football Game for the Division, we simply cannot lose this.

ThatGuy246
10-30-2007, 01:11 AM
However this week is so pivotal that under the worst case scenerio of our beloved Steelers losing their prime-time matchup, and victories by the Bengals and Browns can put us in a three way tie (not counting division wins) and winning the division ONLY because of the divisional record. The standing would look like this:

Steelers 5-3 (2-1 Division)
Browns 5-3 (2-1 Division)
Ravens 5-3 (1-2 Division)
Bengals 3-5 (1-2 Division)

Okay, so first off, I totally agree with everyone's affirmation that this is not a week to take lightly (and by extension, none are when your schedule spans only 16 games).

Out of curiosity, though - and I could be totally off the mark here, so please feel free to beat me with a blunt object - but in the event we lose to the Three-Point Magicians in Baltimore, wouldn't they take the divisional lead due to head-to-head?

Trust me, I'm hoping I'm wrong...but I'm hoping a lot more so that none of us have to worry about no stinkin' tie-breakers...

-B&GinD.C.

lamberts-lost-tooth
10-30-2007, 09:48 AM
Okay, so first off, I totally agree with everyone's affirmation that this is not a week to take lightly (and by extension, none are when your schedule spans only 16 games).

Out of curiosity, though - and I could be totally off the mark here, so please feel free to beat me with a blunt object - but in the event we lose to the Three-Point Magicians in Baltimore, wouldn't they take the divisional lead due to head-to-head?

Trust me, I'm hoping I'm wrong...but I'm hoping a lot more so that none of us have to worry about no stinkin' tie-breakers...

-B&GinD.C.

Actually it starts with record...then would go to Division record

If we lost we would be 2-1 in the Division and the Ravens would be 1-2

It goes like this:

Best Record
Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division.
Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games.
Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
Strength of victory.
Strength of schedule.
Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
Best net points in common games.
Best net points in all games.
Best net touchdowns in all games.

I think what you are talking about is if two teams are tied and in different divisions...then the head to head is used to determine a wildcard slot

lamberts-lost-tooth
10-30-2007, 09:54 AM
The Browns are winning and that is the important thing (for them) and I think it is possible they go 10-6 so they are not to be dismissed. This is not the same team we dismantled week one.

That said, in my opinion, any divisional game, especially at home, is a must win. The Ravens beat us up pretty good last year so the division goes through them. It would also be nice to pick up some steam and reel off three divisional wins in a row.

Questions:

Does anyone know Aaron Smith's status? He's a guy we need for this game and stopping the Raven's rush.

Also, who is starting at QB for the Ravens? I assume McNair will start but I haven't seen an injury update on him in a while.

As of now the depth chart is showing McNair starting.