PDA

View Full Version : Ravens return to work

83-Steelers-43
10-30-2007, 01:02 AM
Ravens return to work
By The Associated Press
Tuesday, October 30, 2007

OWINGS MILLS, Md. - Trying to regain their footing after stumbling into the bye, the Baltimore Ravens returned to work Monday a much healthier football team.

As the Ravens (4-3) launched preparations for next week's pivotal road game against the Pittsburgh Steelers (5-2) at Heinz Field, several starters returned to practice for the reigning AFC North champions.

That group of key veterans included quarterback Steve McNair (back, groin), offensive tackle Jonathan Ogden (turf toe), who emerged unscathed in limited action in a loss to the Buffalo Bills before the bye, defensive end Trevor Pryce (broken wrist), center Mike Flynn (knee) and offensive tackle Adam Terry (ankle).

"I think we're in pretty good shape," Ravens coach Brian Billick said after a light practice. Tight end Todd Heap (hamstring) and cornerback Chris McAlister (knee) didn't practice and are regarded as the two biggest question marks for this upcoming Monday night game.

Billick said the team will know more Tuesday about McAlister's prognosis. Pryce, who led the team last season with 13 sacks, is expected to split time with Dwan Edwards as he works his way back into shape after missing the past five games.

"It doesn't hurt, I'm fine," said Pryce, who had metal pins removed from his left wrist before the bye and is playing with a small cast. "I'll play as much as they want me to play. I'm not going to limit myself. I think I can make as much impact as J.O. can make, and I think that's saying a lot since that guy's going to the Hall of Fame."

Meanwhile, Ogden is forecast to play roughly 30 snaps to 40 snaps against the Steelers after playing a dozen plays in a 19-14 loss to Buffalo. Ogden didn't experience any setbacks after missing five games since aggravating a nagging turf toe injury during the season opener in Cincinnati.

"It's still sore, but it's not that sharp pain," Ogden said. "It's more dull. I think I can push through that. Will I make it through the whole game? I'm going to see what happens."

Heap, a Pro Bowl selection who has missed the majority of the past two games, isn't expected to test out his leg until Thursday when the Ravens will begin more strenuous workouts. "The week off was definitely helpful," Heap said.

Despite the improved medical situation, the Ravens are aware that they have a lot of work to do. They face an arduous schedule that includes two games against the Steelers along with contests against the undefeated New England Patriots, undefeated defending Super Bowl champion Indianapolis Colts and the San Diego Chargers.

"From here on out, we need to win every game," wide receiver Derrick Mason said. "Are we going to win every game? We have the talent to do so."

Chalking up the problems strictly to injuries during the first seven games, where the Ravens won four games against teams with a combined record of 6-24, doesn't explain their precarious standing.

"No, that's a cop-out," Pryce said.

Meanwhille, Billick addressed a controversy that arose during the bye week when middle linebacker Ray Lewis criticized his play-calling during his weekly radio show. Billick said he doesn't have a problem with the two-time NFL Defensive Player of the Year's comments. "We're good, that's old news," Billick said. "We're ready to move on to the next challenge. We're good to go."

Added Mason: "The offense didn't take offense to what he said. We need to score. That's something that he and Coach Billick need to work out because he specifically mentioned one individual. The onus is not just on Coach Billick. Players have to take responsibility, too."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_535243.html

Galax Steeler
10-30-2007, 04:52 AM
Sounds like the ravens have more problems then injuries lewis making remarks to billick?

steelpride12
10-30-2007, 12:46 PM
Well lets hope McCallister and Heap stays out were gonna need all the injury help we need against this team.

It's gonna be a tough match up with the Ravens getting all these players of the injured list most def. Ogden which shut our blitz down last year and also Trevor Pryce to add on to there blitz attack.

Lets play smart, and the o-line have a good day, blitz away from ogden and we should come out with a win! Go Steelers!

Lord Stiller
10-30-2007, 01:45 PM
Getting Trevor Pryce back is huge for them. He is the equivalent to Aaron Smith on our team

Our offensive line will have its hands full with Pryce and Suggs. We must protect Ben, he has been hurt in several games against the Ravens

The Ravens would be stupid to play McCallister IMO, even if they do he will be a step slower. We need to come out throwing. I doubt Parker will have much running room.

steelpride12
10-30-2007, 02:14 PM
I doubt Parker will have much running room.

Which is a very bad thing. 17-1 when rushing over a hundred yards we need that bad this game.

I don't know the stats when he rushes under 100 yards but there not pretty!

SteelFist
10-30-2007, 02:39 PM
Let them be healthy. I would have it no other way. We need to face the best of the best with no room for excuses by either team.

Say it with me!! :sign02: :tt:

rbryan
10-30-2007, 03:07 PM
I'm still trying to figure out how whoever makes the schedule thinks its OK to give a division rival a bye before the week we have to play them.

I'm sure its a complicated process to come up with a schedule that avoids this type of scenario, but a divison opponent?? You would think the league could even this sort of thing out and at least give us the same benefit when coming off our bye. Does Baltimore have to face a team anywhere down the line with the same disadvantage???

alittlejazzbird
10-30-2007, 03:19 PM
None of the outside stuff (i.e., scheduling, injuries, etc.) seems to matter when the Steelers and the Ravens meet. You know it's going to be brutal stuff, and probably low scoring (well, except for last year, which was an aberration all around).

I have a work commitment that will prevent me from seeing the first half on Monday night, which is probably just as well since I'd only be a nervous wreck anyway. Doesn't seem to matter how poorly the Ravens are playing, IMO they're always a scary opponent for the Steelers.

jjpro11
10-30-2007, 03:53 PM
this is a huge game.. it wont get much hype with the colts-pats love fest all week. but a win by the ravens and they are back in first place. a win by us and we can start to pull away with the division.

FastWillieParker39
10-30-2007, 04:02 PM
this is a huge game.. it wont get much hype with the colts-pats love fest all week. but a win by the ravens and they are back in first place. a win by us and we can start to pull away with the division.

Yep, BIG game. It'll show me if this team is for REAL or just a first round, overrated knockout.

I CAN'T WAIT TO FIND OUT!

revefsreleets
10-30-2007, 05:48 PM
I absolutely want the Rats 100% healthy. No excuses that way.

Haiku_Dirtt
10-30-2007, 07:12 PM
I'm going to buck conventional wisdom and say that the game against the Browns will be alot closer than the Ravens. The mojo in Baltimore is in repeal.

The Browns playmakers are starting to make plays and they're riding a little momentum with unusually impressive performances.

Excluding that stoopid pic Ben threw in Cincy our offense starting firing on all cylinders since the 4th quarter in Denver. And I'd expect that to continue Monday Night and in a big way.

The Steelers are going take it to the Ravens. My optimism wanes just a little the following Sunday.