PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Release Colclough

83-Steelers-43
10-30-2007, 02:10 PM
Steelers release cornerback Colclough
Tuesday, October 30, 2007
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers today released fourth-year cornerback Ricardo Colclough, the team's second-round draft pick in 2004.

The roster move made room for the team to resign second-year cornerback Anthony Madison to their active roster.

Madison (5-9, 180) was signed as a rookie free agent out of Alabama and played in 12 games for the Steelers in 2006, recording three defensive tackles and 10 special teams tackles. He was released after training camp this year and spent a week with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers before being waived Sept. 12.

Colclough (5-11, 195) played in three games this year and had one special teams tackle. For his career, he had one interception and 33 defensive tackles.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07303/829685-66.stm

Sharkissle29
10-30-2007, 02:14 PM
all i have to say is, "ITS ABOUT TIME!!!!!"

GeneralRobinson
10-30-2007, 02:14 PM
Can't say I'm surprised. His lack of containment on kick off coverage this past Sunday contributed to two long runbacks by Cincinnati.

fansince'76
10-30-2007, 02:15 PM

The only reason they gave him 4 years is because he was a second-rounder. Oh well, can't win 'em all.

Lord Stiller
10-30-2007, 02:18 PM
Can't say I'm surprised. His lack on containment on kick off coverage this past Sunday contributed to two long runbacks by Cincinnati.

Thanks for the info. I saw that Colclough was dressed but didnt spot him on the field. I'm nopt surprised at all he blew the kickoff coverage, he has always shy'ed away from contact.

BlastFurnace
10-30-2007, 02:19 PM
He will be on the Ravens, Patriots, or Browns roster within one week.

Not that he deserves it...it just seems to always work out that way with one of those teams. If Bellichick can coach Poteat into covering Burress...who knows what he can do with Colclough.

He is the Steven Conley of DB's. Great athlete, can't play.

GeneralRobinson
10-30-2007, 02:21 PM

Who?

The Duke
10-30-2007, 02:36 PM
about friggin time. but now who will return our punts :flap:

Not that he deserves it...it just seems to always work out that way. If Bellichick can coach Poteat into covering Burress...who knows what he can do with Colclough.

Great example. yes colclough is athletic, but he just can't cover nobody. maybe some team can make something out of him, I'm just glad it's not us anymore

Lord Stiller
10-30-2007, 02:44 PM
about friggin time. but now who will return our punts :flap:

Great example. yes colclough is athletic, but he just can't cover nobody. maybe some team can make something out of him, I'm just glad it's not us anymore

his tackling is even worse than his coverage

and we have all seen his punt return skills

I doubt Colclough ever gets on another team

HometownGal
10-30-2007, 02:49 PM
Coke was definitely a bust. I'm not at all surprised by this move.

His phone will be ringing this afternoon and Wiz will be on the other end.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
10-30-2007, 02:52 PM
Glad to hear that we finally got rid of Coke. I also like that we signed Madison I've been a fan of him since last season.

Steelerstrength
10-30-2007, 02:57 PM

:iagree: And Coke will do it for the one week paycheck, and those teams would love to know anything they can about our D. (or Bellicheats Putz will just continue watching the film they kept)

tony hipchest
10-30-2007, 03:00 PM
great. now ike taylor can get back to rooming with, and being a mentor to madison and piss off litp even more.

Atlanta Dan
10-30-2007, 03:07 PM

Not that he deserves it...it just seems to always work out that way. If Bellichick can coach Poteat into covering Burress...who knows what he can do with Colclough.

Unless he takes the playbook with him, good luck to those teams getting him to remember any plays or coverages.

Since Madison has been available for 6 weeks, Coclough clearly did something recently to convince Tomlin it was time to say goodbye.

Coclough has been toast since the fumbled punt - too bad he took up someone else's roster space since August.

Another combine wonder and waste of a high draft pick on a reach who could not play the game at this level.

ShutDown24
10-30-2007, 03:10 PM
PRAISE BE GOD!!!

He missed so many speacial teams tackles Sunday I wanted to cry...

Lord Stiller
10-30-2007, 03:11 PM
Coclough clearly did something recently to convince Tomlin it was time to say goodbye.

See post #3

xXTheSteelKingsXx
10-30-2007, 03:14 PM

I was thinking Arizona.

Atlanta Dan
10-30-2007, 03:17 PM
See post #3

Saw the post before I posted - just saying it might have been more, such as lousy work habits in practice after he recovered from his "injury"

If the Steelers cut every player who screwed up on special teams, Ben and Willie P. would be breaking up the wedge

Lord Stiller
10-30-2007, 03:18 PM
Saw the post before i posted - just saying it might have been more, such as lousy work habits in practice after he recovered from his "injury"

Well he got a chance to play and blew it

that was apparently enough for Tomlin

Atlanta Dan
10-30-2007, 03:26 PM
Well he got a chance to play and blew it

that was apparently enough for Tomlin

Thanks for straightening that out for me:smile:

BlastFurnace
10-30-2007, 03:26 PM
Who?

Steven Conley was a great athlete (Linebacker) that Cowher brought back 3 or 4 times in the mid-late 90's. The problem was that he just couldn't play football.

Lord Stiller
10-30-2007, 03:34 PM
Thanks for straightening that out for me:smile:

no need to look for hidden reasons when there is a big fat obvious reason right in front of your face

GeneralRobinson
10-30-2007, 03:46 PM
This will probably get the attention of the rest of the team as well.

steelpride12
10-30-2007, 03:54 PM
Bout time!! enough said!

fansince'76
10-30-2007, 03:56 PM
Hopefully we add some much-needed depth on the O-line during the offseason and give Starks his walking papers as well. :hope:

HometownGal
10-30-2007, 03:57 PM
no need to look for hidden reasons when there is a big fat obvious reason right in front of your face

Whoa there bud - that's uncalled for. Knock if off or you're going to get my Size 8-1/2 (well - the good foot - LOL!) in your hiney - this isn't the BF. :buttkick:

Edman
10-30-2007, 04:04 PM
If Cowher were still here, does this move happen?

BlastFurnace
10-30-2007, 04:20 PM
If Cowher were still here, does this move happen?

It would depend on how Cowher viewed Gay. If Gay is deactivated every week under Cowher, then Colclough is still playing for us in the Nickel package.

Colclough will catch on somewhere. He probably won't play very good, but he will be picked up. He's too young and too good of an athlete not to atleast get a look by a couple teams...regardless if he can play or not.

Dylan
10-30-2007, 04:37 PM
its about time

revefsreleets
10-30-2007, 04:58 PM
Coke had a good camp last year, then he got hurt. Some guys are just never the same.

No biggie. We took two small school DB's in Ike and Coke, and one of them is a starter.

Atlanta Dan
10-30-2007, 05:38 PM

Thanks for that additional insight as well.:smile:

Elvis
10-30-2007, 05:43 PM
:tt02::tt02::tt02:
Can I
Get an
AMEN?..
:party:

Steeldude
10-31-2007, 12:56 AM
Steven Conley was a great athlete (Linebacker) that Cowher brought back 3 or 4 times in the mid-late 90's. The problem was that he just couldn't play football.

like scott shields at safety. big and fast, but couldn't play.

Preacher
10-31-2007, 01:09 AM
I wonder...

Was this a shot across the bow to tell the rest of the team to be ready SUnday?

Steel Pit
10-31-2007, 03:56 AM

Not that he deserves it...it just seems to always work out that way with one of those teams. If Bellichick can coach Poteat into covering Burress...who knows what he can do with Colclough.

He'll be picked up by the N.Y. Giants. On Steelers trash day you can always find Tom Coughlin sifting through their dumpster.

Galax Steeler
10-31-2007, 04:01 AM
There is no love lost here bye bye. :flap::flap:

7/39/43
10-31-2007, 06:41 AM
should of been gone a year ago

lamberts-lost-tooth
10-31-2007, 01:32 PM
He'll be picked up by the N.Y. Giants. On Steelers trash day you can always find Tom Coughlin sifting through their dumpster.

Dont be surprised if Belicheat doesnt offer Colclough a one year contract...and Colclough's playbook a two year contract.

RoethlisBURGHer
10-31-2007, 07:46 PM
I can see the Ravens signing him for the pump and dump like they did with St. Pierre.

I can also see the Patriots, Browns, and Bengals doing the same. Only the Bengals can use him as a player, their defense is that aweful.

83-Steelers-43
10-31-2007, 07:48 PM
I can see the Ravens signing him for the pump and dump like they did with St. Pierre.

The Browns already signed him. Check NFL section.

Galax Steeler
11-01-2007, 03:55 AM
The Browns already signed him. Check NFL section.

Good maybe we can get more turnovers from the brownies now.

GeneralRobinson
11-03-2007, 10:25 AM
Glad things worked out for Ricardo. On a more humorous note, they're not kidding when they say denial is the first stage of grief (lol). Check out this article from a Lorain County Ohio paper:

The Browns’ front office was surprised when cornerback Ricardo Colclough was released by the Steelers three days ago. So was the fourth-year pro, who had spent his entire NFL career in Pittsburgh and didn’t see the move coming. “It sort of happened early. I thought I’d be able to finish out the season,” Colclough said Thursday upon officially joining the Browns. “I guess it was just my time. Coach (Mike Tomlin) said it was nothing I did, just situations where I wasn’t getting enough reps. “Somebody had to go, and I was the guy.”

http://www.chroniclet.com/2007/11/01/browns-notes-team-signs-ex-steeler-colclough

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-03-2007, 10:32 AM
Glad things worked out for Ricardo. On a more humorous note, they're not kidding when they say denial is the first stage of grief (lol). Check out this article from a Lorain County Ohio paper:

http://www.chroniclet.com/2007/11/01/browns-notes-team-signs-ex-steeler-colclough

LOL..what a crock of crap! If you get dropped and the team immediataly picks up a player of the same position......IT WAS SOMETHING YOU DID.

How in the heck is Madison going to "get more reps" than Coke did?....I am with one of the previous posters...lets run 5 wide and throw at Coke all game.

GeneralRobinson
11-03-2007, 10:36 AM
He's going to be extra tired after our game...seeing as how he'll be doing extra kickoff return duty...hee hee.

BOXCAR JOEY
11-03-2007, 12:34 PM
saaaaweeeeeeeet!

GeneralRobinson
11-12-2007, 04:15 PM
Should be a news report about Colclough's release any day now.:sofunny: