PDA

View Full Version : Activate Reid and go 5 Wide Monday

jjpro11
10-30-2007, 03:51 PM
our line was downright terrible against the ravens last year. i have a feeling that still will be a problem monday. i think we should try spreading the ravens out more to minimize the blitzing. if they bring a lot of guys, reid, wilson, or someone should be open close for a dump off pass in a 5 wide set. i have heard a number of fans wanting to bring back this set in the offseason, this would probably be the best time to do it this season.

Lord Stiller
10-30-2007, 04:05 PM
Thats a good idea. Tuman is listed as doubtful so they should just deactivate him and dress Willie Reid. Reid is really good at catching screen passes and getting positive yardage

Protecting Ben is crucial in this game. The Ravens are going to be out for blood

ShutDown24
10-30-2007, 04:13 PM
I say work on it; keep it in the books, but don't use it until nessecery. Last year and this year are night and day. I think we can run on these guys with some decent success.

jjpro11
10-30-2007, 04:24 PM
I say work on it; keep it in the books, but don't use it until nessecery. Last year and this year are night and day. I think we can run on these guys with some decent success.

i just havent seem any improvement from our oline since last year.. which is why i am worrying about protection on monday.

SteelDogFan
10-30-2007, 04:31 PM
i adree with you the Steelers need to be in a spread formation most of the game. At the same time they don' want the Ravens pinning their ears back and rushing and hurrying all night Ben all night. This is won of those games where even in the ground attack is not getting a lot of yards you still run the ball on first down or ben will be on his back all night.

steelermuzik
10-30-2007, 04:42 PM
I think it's about time to try out that no huddle package and keep the Ravens off balance.

GeneralRobinson
10-30-2007, 04:47 PM
I noticed that Buffalo ran a lot of no-huddle against Baltimore two weeks ago. Had to be somewhat successful seeing as how they won the game.

jjpro11
10-30-2007, 04:50 PM
I noticed that Buffalo ran a lot of no-huddle against Baltimore two weeks ago. Had to be somewhat successful seeing as how they won the game.

it was.. i watched the entire game. gotta keep them on their heels.. im not saying dont run, but in some passing situations, i wouldnt mind seeing 5 wide sets in situations where we think they are going to blitz.

steelpride12
10-30-2007, 04:53 PM
For all this happen still o-line must do its job. Blocking blocking blocking if we want these screens to work. We must have a backup plan if and prob. when the run game is shut down.

Screen plays seem like a great idea seeing how good it worked against us in the game vs Denver when we blitzed and they had a 4-5 WR screen which usally a first down!

steelermuzik
10-30-2007, 05:14 PM
I'd also like to see some routes that are designed to get the ball out of Big Ben's hands faster. The raven's will eat him alive again if they get through our porous o-line on every down, despite the fact he's back to his mobile ways.

OneForTheToe
10-30-2007, 05:23 PM
I don't know if I want to go 5 wide very much. Who are we leaving out Willie (Dookie on third)? Heath? I think this might be a good game for Arians love of TEs. If Tuman is out we still have two pretty good TEs. Maybe some five reciever sets, but with one or two of those as TEs, who can either go down the middle to keep Ravin Ray occuppyed in pass coverage, or brought in motion into the backfield to help with pass protection.

Stillers33
10-30-2007, 05:26 PM
thats a good idea to keep the ravens on their feet and also they should use the hurry up

revefsreleets
10-30-2007, 05:54 PM
Woah! We ran the spread against Denver, and they just blitzed through it and forced Ben to scramble or throw the ball prematurely. The Ravens are better then the Bronco's on defense. I'm not sure I like the match-up of our 5 against their 4 or 5, even if we have 5 WR's who may or may not get open in the 2.5 seconds they'll have.

I'm thinking max protect against the Ravens.

Haiku_Dirtt
10-30-2007, 07:00 PM
Thats a good idea. Tuman is listed as doubtful so they should just deactivate him and dress Willie Reid. Reid is really good at catching screen passes and getting positive yardage

Protecting Ben is crucial in this game. The Ravens are going to be out for blood

We need blockers not more receiving power (if that is really what Reid gives us) against the Ravens. The biggest difference between last year and this year is that we are uptrending and they are downtrending. Last year we were crashing.

I don't expect Reid to be around in the months or even weeks ahead.

Galax Steeler
10-31-2007, 05:14 AM
We need to spread the field and throw the short slant passes that will let him get rid of it quicker.

Dino 6 Rings
10-31-2007, 08:16 AM
Ladies and Gentlemen. Have we learned nothing.

The Ravens strength is their Defense. They are very good at pressuring the QB and forcing turnovers. The way to beat them, is to attack their strength. First, by running the ball right at them. You have to attack their middle, hard and fast and often. You must force them to change their game plan, put an 8th man in the box, and then, you pass deep. Don't get cute, don't get "sneaky" do what you do best. Run at the Ravens and you will be successful. Slants and Screens work ok, post routes in 1 on 1 converage also work effectively against this defense once the safety is committed to the run. What you can not do to the Ravens, is allow them to change your offense. That's what they are banking on. You must attack their strength, then expose their weakness. There is no other game plan.

But that's ok, they will also attempt to run at us, too bad we are going to destroy their offense and leave them laying on the field in ruin with snot bubbles covering their faces and broken limbs scattered across the field of battle...

too much?

Go Steelers!

Lord Stiller
10-31-2007, 09:04 AM
We need blockers not more receiving power (if that is really what Reid gives us) against the Ravens. The biggest difference between last year and this year is that we are uptrending and they are downtrending. Last year we were crashing.

I don't expect Reid to be around in the months or even weeks ahead.

Yeah I said Tuman was doubtful meaning he probably won't play.

So what blockers are you talking about?

Steeldude
10-31-2007, 09:16 AM
our line was downright terrible against the ravens last year. i have a feeling that still will be a problem monday. i think we should try spreading the ravens out more to minimize the blitzing. if they bring a lot of guys, reid, wilson, or someone should be open close for a dump off pass in a 5 wide set. i have heard a number of fans wanting to bring back this set in the offseason, this would probably be the best time to do it this season.

one problem with that idea. BR does not make quick reads. if the primary WR is not open he struggles.

Jman
10-31-2007, 09:35 AM
The Ravens strength is their Defense. They are very good at pressuring the QB and forcing turnovers. The way to beat them, is to attack their strength. First, by running the ball right at them. You have to attack their middle, hard and fast and often. You must force them to change their game plan, put an 8th man in the box, and then, you pass deep. Don't get cute, don't get "sneaky" do what you do best. Run at the Ravens and you will be successful. Slants and Screens work ok, post routes in 1 on 1 converage also work effectively against this defense once the safety is committed to the run. What you can not do to the Ravens, is allow them to change your offense. That's what they are banking on. You must attack their strength, then expose their weakness. There is no other game plan.

This is probably the post I'd agree with the most. Ravens' scheme is what makes them elite as a defense. When you're passing, sure, that whole 1 DL and everyone standing up can cause some confusion. But what if you're running? Does it matter? Nope.

Ravens are emotional right now too (with 3 losses). You get them to buy-in to the run...get them nibbling on that 8 man in the box bait...and send Hines on the post.

On the flip side, maybe they should run a Singleback 3 WR set and get some quick screens or drag routes. That MIGHT work...But I'm with the run game on this match up.

I do like the No Huddle idea too.

onthebus36
10-31-2007, 01:30 PM
I'm thinking max protect against the Ravens.

I agree. Some two tight end sets with the flexibility to block or run a route might be a good option.

I think establishing the run is critical in this game as is getting on top early.

And I definitely agree about some no huddle and hurry up packages. I think that might yield good results against this team.

Preacher
10-31-2007, 03:37 PM
Max protect is a horrible idea in my mind.

You keep what, 8, 9 players in protecting Ben? So you rush 7 and double team both receivers. Just sit back and wait for the throw into double coverage... or the sack after Ben holds on to the ball for 6, 7 seconds. Sure Ben is mobile, so he starts running... now you have the Ravens who hit QB's HARD taking shots at Ben again. Not my cup of tea.

We need to come out 5 wide.. throw a couple short slants. Pull the players out of the box. Then run Willie up the middle. Confuse the defense, keeping them up close to the line of scrimmage. Only then do you throw one over their heads... However at that point, it is a 2.5 second play, because 10 of their players are playing within 10 yards of the LOS to stop the slants and runs.

If they don't come up... keep running the slants. They have to roll up to stop them at some point.

steelpride12
10-31-2007, 03:41 PM
Max protect is a horrible idea in my mind.

You keep what, 8, 9 players in protecting Ben? So you rush 7 and double team both receivers. Just sit back and wait for the throw into double coverage... or the sack after Ben holds on to the ball for 6, 7 seconds. Sure Ben is mobile, so he starts running... now you have the Ravens who hit QB's HARD taking shots at Ben again. Not my cup of tea.

We need to come out 5 wide.. throw a couple short slants. Pull the players out of the box. Then run Willie up the middle. Confuse the defense, keeping them up close to the line of scrimmage. Only then do you throw one over their heads... However at that point, it is a 2.5 second play, because 10 of their players are playing within 10 yards of the LOS to stop the slants and runs.

If they don't come up... keep running the slants. They have to roll up to stop them at some point.

Running 5 wide against the Ravens will give us the coverage we don't want. I would rather play a 2 TE set so we can get the blitz package then run our short slant pattern plays or deep balls because it will most likely be one on one.

Also with the 2 TE you can mix it up ether blocking with TE's or sending them over the middle for a quick pass and also i think a pitch play to parker on a loaded left or right side with both TE would work.

verks36
10-31-2007, 03:54 PM
i dont know if 5 is the way to go

I really think we should just get 2 TE in their and just pound the ball against them

jjpro11
10-31-2007, 05:51 PM
i dont know if 5 is the way to go

I really think we should just get 2 TE in their and just pound the ball against them

we havent been able to do that against them the past 3 times we have played them. the last time we had any success running the ball vs baltimore was when we had the bus, parker and a dominant oline. 2 of those 3 are gone.

revefsreleets
10-31-2007, 06:29 PM
I didn't say play conservative, I just said max protect. If we are 5 wide, that means we have no back in the backfield, and we are telegraphing pass all the way. They can pretty much play that however they want on defense, since there is no option or alternative. Unless Ben is going to suddenly start running 15 times a game.

You can run max protect several ways. Arians could use an H-back, and we have players who fit that bill. You can run max protect simply by keeping a couple backs in the backfield. Either way, selling out by emptying the backfield will result in a disaster. I expect to see a lot of conservative sets and some twists on those. This is one of the games that if the Steelers were holding anything back we'll see it.

Haiku_Dirtt
10-31-2007, 06:54 PM
Yeah I said Tuman was doubtful meaning he probably won't play.

So what blockers are you talking about?

I'm still looking for the answer. Give me another 10 months and maybe I'll have an answer.

steelpride12
10-31-2007, 07:27 PM
I didn't say play conservative, I just said max protect. If we are 5 wide, that means we have no back in the backfield, and we are telegraphing pass all the way. They can pretty much play that however they want on defense, since there is no option or alternative. Unless Ben is going to suddenly start running 15 times a game.

You can run max protect several ways. Arians could use an H-back, and we have players who fit that bill. You can run max protect simply by keeping a couple backs in the backfield. Either way, selling out by emptying the backfield will result in a disaster. I expect to see a lot of conservative sets and some twists on those. This is one of the games that if the Steelers were holding anything back we'll see it.

I agree if Ben thinks he can call a normal 5 WR play and sit in the pocket for more than 3 seconds he is mistakened. The only way to play a 5 WR set is a quick slant pattern or a screen.

Rhee Rhee
11-03-2007, 04:32 PM
I give our O-line a B when they pass protect (at the very best). There is no way that they can stop the front seven of the ravens.... terrel suggs and ray lewis are just scary... bart scott could be a pro bowl player down the road... i say we run draws with willie keep 'em off balance and when you get under 5 minutes in each quarter start the no huddle with quick slants and LOTS of screens to ward and holmes

tony hipchest
11-03-2007, 05:59 PM

totally agree. even heath miller has gotten his fair share of snaps at h-back this year.

its as simple as this-

the steelers top 5 wr's < the steelers top 3 wr's + heath + willie (line em up however you want)

nothing against w. reid though. i have nothing against him being active on gameday if he can be used; although, he is more of a luxory than a necessity.

stillers4me
11-03-2007, 06:47 PM
Ben's been getting alot of press the last couple of weeks regarding his mobility and being called an "escape artist". They're going to go after him big time.

NV STEELERS 723
11-03-2007, 08:02 PM
We need to spread the field and throw the short slant passes that will let him get rid of it quicker.

I like it....throw some quick passes over the middle too....things open up from there..