PDA

View Full Version : Chad Johnson speaks out ... 'Selfish is good'

stillers4me
10-31-2007, 07:06 AM
Chad Johnson speaks out ... 'Selfish is good'
Related: What do you think about Chad Johnson's comments?
By Chick Ludwig

Staff Writer

Tuesday, October 30, 2007

CINCINNATI ? In the football gospel according to Chad Johnson, selfish is good ? even if it rubs teammates the wrong way.

The Cincinnati Bengals' wide receiver broke seven days of silence on Tuesday in an interview with ESPN Radio's Stephen A. Smith.

Johnson called himself an easy target for the club's 2-5 start and said he doesn't regret anything he's said or done this season, including the apparel he used on opening night of the season when he donned a yellow jacket promoting himself as a future Pro Football Hall of Famer.

The flamboyant wideout also said he's happy in Cincinnati and doesn't expect to be traded.

"Everybody loves to use that selfish word and make it a negative," Johnson said. "Man, it's very much so a positive.

"You've got to want it. You've got a different type of breed that plays this game. I'm a different type of breed and I approach it differently from everybody else. I'll let you know I want it, and I'm going to let you know I'm going to go get it. That might rub off the wrong way and put too much pressure on those around me. If they don't have any selfishness to 'em, then that's part of the reason why we are 2-5."

Head coach Marvin Lewis ripped the team for being selfish after its 34-13 Monday night home loss to New England on Oct. 1, and Johnson knows the message was aimed at him.

"Of course," Johnson said. "Who else are you going to point at? I'm the outgoing one. I'm the one who's celebrating. I'm the trash-talker. I'm the one that people love to call self-promoting.

"You know what I do? Every time I touch that field, I think about one thing ? playing this game and having fun like you're in the schoolyard when you were a kid. That's what you see. Therefore, when coach Lewis says something about selfish, it's pointing back to me. My take on the word selfish? If you don't have any selfishness about you, you're not going to win at what you do. You've got to want it."

In the interview, Smith suggested Johnson is getting an unfair rap for the team's slow start and myriad problems, especially on defense. How's Johnson holding up with his feet held to the fire?

"I'm lovin' it," Johnson said. "I'm an easy target because of the way I play the game. I'm a very easy target when things aren't going right. I'm very lovable when things are going right, and I'm easy to hit when things are going wrong. I understand that. We're going to have our ups and downs as a team and right now we're down, and we're trying to find a way to pull ourselves out of this hole."

Johnson, who has 44 catches for 731 yards (16.8) and three TDs, refused to finger the Bengals' porous defense as the reason why the club is losing.

"We've just got to find a level of consistency in order to compete the way we want to ? like we did in '05 (when the 11-5 Bengals reached the playoffs)," Johnson said. "We'll be fine on the other side of the ball. All I can do is focus on football. If we're 2-5, that means there are five games that we didn't score enough points to win."

What about the "Hall of Fame" jacket that he wrapped around his shoulders like a heavyweight prize fighter?

"When I put that yellow jacket on, that wasn't no joke," he said. "Ain't nothing funny about that. I will get there by any means necessary. A lot of people look at that and say, 'Oh, there he goes again.' No. I was just trying to say it in a nice way in a nice gesture. I might have said a couple of things where, you know what, I'm sorry. And when I walk off that stage (in Canton someday), I'll be sure to apologize again."

As a spokesman for Degree Antiperspirant & Deodorant, Johnson raises money for the "Feed the Children" organization when fans visit his Web site ? www.trashtalk85.com.

What he won't fuel is trade talk ... and any speculation about embattled coach Marvin Lewis' future.

"This is a business," he said. "Randy (Moss) left Minnesota. T.O. (Terrell Owens) left San Francisco. They had issues. I have no issue where I am. I have none. I'm happy where I'm at. I'm happy I'm a big part of the reason why the Bengals are a contender.

"I don't feed into (speculation on Lewis' future). All I worry about is me and my offense. That's it."

Contact this reporter at (937) 225-2253 or cludwig@DaytonDailyNews.com

http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/content/oh/story/sports/pro/bengals/2007/10/30/ddn103107bengalsweb.html

Atlanta Dan
10-31-2007, 07:39 AM
And for football fans in hell that interview between Chad Johnson and Stephen Smith presumably is now mandatory viewing on a repeating tape loop (along with getting Houston-Oakland rather than Pats-Colts this Sunday at 4)

So Marvin tells Chad he is selfish and Chad responds yeah, what is your point ? Marvin and/or Chad will not be Bengals in 2008

TroysBadDawg
10-31-2007, 12:46 PM
Unfortunately I can agree somewhat with what CJ says:
1. It has to be fun or enjoyable to put 100% into it all the time every time.
2. You have to be a bit selfish wanting the best for your self and your team.
3. For trying to force his teammates to do something extra to be better themselves and the team than accepting losing, he is being hauled over the coals?
4. No one likes losing, but the Bengals are complacent about it, someone needs to kick them in the butt, SO CJ tries to and gets called out?

Some just like to have fun at what they do and when they are good at it, all the better.

Reminder of last season, KW2 got benched (1st & 3rd downs) for negative comments made about Moe Carthon, not much was thrown his way, and people said he wasn't producing. You can't produce if you’re not given the opportunity.

Same with Edwards (see above)

The team and the coaches have to be on the same page of the same book. I don’t think at this point in time the Bengals can even read, let alone be on the same page. Someone please buy Marvin Lewis a coloring book.

HometownGal
10-31-2007, 01:19 PM
I'm happy I'm a big part of the reason why the Bengals are a contender.

:toofunny::toofunny: A contender for what? Finalists for the grand prize of 3 packs of smokes at the jailhouse bingo? :toofunny::toofunny:

onthebus36
10-31-2007, 01:25 PM
:toofunny::toofunny: A contender for what? Finalists for the grand prize of 3 packs of smokes at the jailhouse bingo? :toofunny::toofunny:

A contender to go 8-8 for the third time in four seasons. :chicken:

Seriously, you can't spin "selfish" as a compliment. Being selfish is not the same thing as "leaving it all on the field." And regarding his "just having fun" comments, it's nice when you can have fun at any job but there are also tasks that professionals do that aren't fun. In football, there are preparations that aren't fun and games that aren't fun. Going into a critical divisional game "looking to have a good time" is not a professional attitude.

This guy has skills, no debating that. What he lacks is discipline and professionalism.

83-Steelers-43
10-31-2007, 01:29 PM
Everybody loves to use that selfish word and make it a negative," Johnson said. "Man, it's very much so a positive.

That's all I needed to read....lol. Unbelievable.

revefsreleets
10-31-2007, 05:43 PM
Really, all CJ needed was someone to say "No" to him at one point in his life and actually mean it. He was a star in HS but was too stupid to make grades for any real colleges, so he ended up at Santa Monica Jr. College, where I'm positive he was more or less hired to play football, and the price was C's and B's for hanging around campus and helping the football team put up W's. Dennis Erickson recruited him to Oregon State where he was once again passed through the system (No way the dude ever passed a college exam) with the understanding that as long as the football team produced on Saturday's, things would be taken care of for him M-F. TJ kept him in line off the field. TJ almost certainly keeps this guy from strangling hookers in back alleys now.

Talent? Oh yeah. But he's all mouth and no brain. What a waste.

tony hipchest
10-31-2007, 05:57 PM
TJ almost certainly keeps this guy from strangling hookers in back alleys now.

Talent? Oh yeah.

:chuckle:

i still have a hard time accepting that tj is the "brains" of any 2 man operation. its amazing.

both him and palmer are just as bad as rev marv for enabling chads behavior by being sidekicks and participating in his little stunts and shows.

Black@Gold Forever32
10-31-2007, 05:58 PM
CJ is so certain he will be in Canton...lol Art Monk still isn't in the Hall and thats a joke in itself.....Monk actually helped his team win big games......were CJ is just full of himself and thinking he is great when he isn't.......

revefsreleets
10-31-2007, 06:20 PM
There's no doubt that a little of CJ has rubbed off on TJ. But, yeah, it's pretty scary. TJ has been the "rock" in CJ's life since college.

TroysBadDawg
10-31-2007, 06:27 PM
I am not saying what he does is good, what he said is good. If he would only practice it. Not the do as I say not as I do.

Aussie_steeler
11-01-2007, 06:19 AM
CJ just wants to be on a team that has a QB with a quality arm and a strong desire to throw deep and often. To CJ being selfish is everything because all he is worried about are his personal stats.

I think he believes that he can bully his way into the HOF on the sheer weight of inflated stats regardless of wins and losses. The media stunts also keep him in the spotlight. If he mentions the HOF often enough people will continually evaluate the question that he poses. It is almost like subliminal messages, trick people into believing / thinking about something they dont want.

. I really get tired of hearing it, T.O. didn't ruin the Eagles, Mcnabb couldn't have his huge ass ego get along with someoen who might be a better player that he is, Mcnabb will always insist on being the star..
Couldnt agree more with you NCSteeler - spot on assessment