PDA

View Full Version : Mike Williams dropped by Raiders

lamberts-lost-tooth
10-31-2007, 01:19 PM
So what says the Steelers Nation?....Would we want the 6'5 230lb WR?...Personally, I will give him some benefit of a doubt because I dont think Williams was ever meant for a West coast offense...that being said....I have doubts about his work ethic

Williams flunks his Raiders' test
David White, Chronicle Staff Writer
Wednesday, October 31, 2007

(10-30) 21:02 PDT -- Wide receiver Mike Williams dropped the ball, so the Raiders dropped him.

Coach Lane Kiffin brought an abrupt end to his personal reclamation project by waiving Williams, his longtime understudy, Tuesday, two days after Williams flubbed a crucial pass late in a 13-9 loss at Tennessee.

Of even deeper concern, however, is the anticipated loss of starting defensive lineman Tommy Kelly, who could be facing season-ending knee surgery this week, according to a team source, who said Kelly tore his anterior cruciate ligament.

Kelly was injured in Sunday's game and had to be helped off the field. On Monday, Kiffin said, "It doesn't sound good at this point."

Kelly started at defensive end and defensive tackle this season, moving when necessary as the team's most versatile lineman. Coaches and teammates raved about his recent play.

To replace Williams, the Raiders signed wide receiver Tim Dwight, a special-teams returner who was cut by the Jets in training camp.

Though Sunday's dropped ball was quite conspicuous, there are certainly other reasons for Williams' midseason dismissal. As the No. 3 receiver, he had seven catches for 90 yards in six games, including two catches for 20 yards against Tennessee on Sunday.

It was the catch he didn't make that apparently proved too much for Kiffin.

The Raiders drove to the Titans' 30 with 1:21 left in the game when Daunte Culpepper fired a 4th-and-14 pass to Williams at the first-down marker. Williams turned to run with the ball before he made the catch, though, and the incompletion ended the comeback bid.

"That was the play that lost the game," Williams said after the game. "I had an opportunity and I blow it. This is going to be hard to swallow."

Kiffin acquired Williams, along with quarterback Josh McCown, in a draft-day trade with Detroit, where Williams was deemed a first-round bust after only two seasons.

Kiffin has had a personal relationship with Williams was in high school in Florida. Kiffin recruited him to USC, where Williams starred for two seasons and became the 10th overall pick of the 2005 draft.

That didn't buy Williams any slack in Oakland, though.

Kiffin often criticized Williams publicly for dropped passes or penalties. After the Raiders beat the Browns last month, Kiffin busted Williams' chops afterward in a news conference for dropping a pass in the end zone and fumbling at the end of a catch-and-run.

"The word 'pleased' isn't anywhere near Mike Williams right now," Kiffin said after the game, pretty much summing up Williams' brief tenure.

Dwight auditioned with the Raiders last week but went unsigned until Tuesday. A 10th-year player, his best season as a receiver was 2002, when he had 50 catches for 623 yards. He joins a Raiders offense that ranks 28th in NFL passing.

Oakland also released wide receiver P.K. Sam from the practice squad, three weeks after signing him.

Atlanta Dan
10-31-2007, 01:24 PM
Mike Williams is a higher profile version of Coclough - the physical tools that are so alluring at the combine blind coaches to the fact he cannot play at this level.

lamberts-lost-tooth
10-31-2007, 01:29 PM
Mike Williams is a higher profile version of Coclough - the physical tools that are so alluring at the combine blind coaches to the fact he cannot play at this level.

When your not willing to put in the time watching tape and working on skills....the NFL always stands for Not For Long

moedap
10-31-2007, 04:19 PM
Michael Westbrook reincarnated. Their height allowed them to be dominant in College which gave them a superior complex. Get to the NFL and find out the short DBs in the NFL are lot better than the short DB's in college and they dont know how to respond.

revefsreleets
10-31-2007, 05:50 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Look at the signs. Kiffin knew him in HS. He knew him in College. If Lane Kiffin who's known the guy forever has run out of chances to give, then this guy has ran out of chances.

Interestingly, Williams also is forever linked with Maurice Clarret as the other college player who tried to join the NFL early. That's enough bad karma for me right there to stay far away!

cubanstogie
10-31-2007, 05:59 PM
I live in CA and am forced to watch USC weekly. The thing I remember about Williams was he had great hands. He was definitely not a speedster. Now he can't even catch so whats the point in signing him. I do think that sometimes a change in environment can help but not in this case. Kiffin and the Raiders were his change in environment and he screwed it up. I would love to dream that with his size he could be our possesion receiver but it is just that, a dream.

verks36
11-01-2007, 08:01 AM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Look at the signs. Kiffin knew him in HS. He knew him in College. If Lane Kiffin who's known the guy forever has run out of chances to give, then this guy has ran out of chances.

Interestingly, Williams also is forever linked with Maurice Clarret as the other college player who tried to join the NFL early. That's enough bad karma for me right there to stay far away!

only if he stayed in school....

look at the 2 guys who were trying to enter early Clarret and Williams the football gods spited and now they sucj

fansince'76
11-01-2007, 08:36 AM
This guy has J.J. Stokes written all over him.

If you don't remember who J.J. Stokes was or anything memorable that he did, my point exactly.

About the only thing I remember about Stokes was his being spit in the face by Bill Romanowski during a MNF game back in '97. Not exactly a great way to be remembered.

revefsreleets
11-01-2007, 06:40 PM
About the only thing I remember about Stokes was his being spit in the face by Bill Romanowski during a MNF game back in '97. Not exactly a great way to be remembered.

What I remember about JJ Stokes was that he probably deserved it. And I'm no Romo fan.

Elvis
11-03-2007, 06:49 AM
:banging:
Such a waste of Talent isnt it?

silver & black
11-03-2007, 07:32 PM
You don't want him. He wasn't cut because he dropped some balls... at least not entirely. He was cut because he just didn't work hard enough, and he took plays off. Too bad... I was really hoping he would pan out since he was back with Kiffin. I guess some guys just don't get it.

Hines0wnz
11-04-2007, 04:42 PM
You don't want him. He wasn't cut because he dropped some balls... at least not entirely. He was cut because he just didn't work hard enough, and he took plays off. Too bad... I was really hoping he would pan out since he was back with Kiffin. I guess some guys just don't get it.

Spoken like a true disgusted Raider fan. :wink02: