PDA

View Full Version : West Coast Offense, 3 Step Drop

SteelDogFan
11-01-2007, 06:17 PM
Considering that the Ravens run at times a crazier blitz scheme than the Steelers do at times. I was thinking it may be to the offenses advantage to use west cost type offense. Ben should take a three step drop and throw the ball. If he sits their and waits for his second and third wide receiver to get open he may spend a lot of time on his back.

The Steelers are going to have to throw the rock because the Ravens are second behind us in rush defense. Also all the improvising and moving around in the pocket may not be a good idea against the Ravens. The best way to move the ball in the beginning of the game is to dink and dunk passes down the field.

cubanstogie
11-01-2007, 08:13 PM
I have doubts we will run consistently on the Ravens. I do think Ben can win with his arm, as long as he has time. Which again I am skeptical. You may be right about 3 step drops, then slants with Santonio and Miller up the middle. That will open up run a little. I am sure coaches have watched film and hopefully have a game plan that isn't run on first and second, throw on 3rd and 7 or 8. It may not look pretty, but if we don't turn the ball over I guarantee we win. No way Ravens score on us like last year. I know everyone wants to run first, and ideally I would too. I think running is more important against high powered offenses like Pats and Colts than teams like the Ravens. So we go three and out a couple of times, it's not like we fear their offense. I say open it up a little first like we did 2 years ago against Colts, and then run late in the game.

Steeldude
11-02-2007, 02:00 AM
Considering that the Ravens run at times a crazier blitz scheme than the Steelers do at times. I was thinking it may be to the offenses advantage to use west cost type offense. Ben should take a three step drop and throw the ball. If he sits their and waits for his second and third wide receiver to get open he may spend a lot of time on his back.

The Steelers are going to have to throw the rock because the Ravens are second behind us in rush defense. Also all the improvising and moving around in the pocket may not be a good idea against the Ravens. The best way to move the ball in the beginning of the game is to dink and dunk passes down the field.

quick reads are not BR's strength.

Steeldude
11-02-2007, 02:01 AM
if the ravens are smart they will do the exact samething the broncos did. stack the line and force BR to win with his arm.

Rhee Rhee
11-02-2007, 02:24 AM
i have doubts that any of our other recievers besides heath and santonio can explode off the LOS and get that bit of separation against solid corners like chris mcalister and samari rolle.... ed reed may even come up and man up on heath... not a good thing..

Steel_Bus_24
11-02-2007, 02:42 AM
i have doubts that any of our other recievers besides heath and santonio can explode off the LOS and get that bit of separation against solid corners like chris mcalister and samari rolle.... ed reed may even come up and man up on heath... not a good thing..

Yes I tend to agree, if it were that easy then we would have of done it last year. Expect to see their whole defense up on the line of scrimmage.

I would think a trips set to the wide side of the field and a rub off route to Holmes deep early might be our only hope of getting them off the line of scrimmage

Man the Steelers better be ready to go, because I don't think we can afford a slow start against these guys

Galax Steeler
11-02-2007, 04:48 AM
I belive tomlin will have something up his sleeve I just hope we can keep pressure of ben.

Boomerang
11-02-2007, 08:10 AM
I don,t think this will be a high scoring game but we have the players to get the W and smart play calling will play its part.:tt02:

OneForTheToe
11-02-2007, 09:22 PM
I don't think we should completely change our offense. If we feel the need to throw early to help the run that's fine. After all, we have done that in the past without going all west coast.

Edman
11-02-2007, 09:47 PM
if the ravens are smart they will do the exact samething the broncos did. stack the line and force BR to win with his arm.

That didn't work. He actually almost won that game with his arm. The D lost that game.

NV STEELERS 723
11-02-2007, 10:28 PM
I think we will RUN, RUN, and RUN again....and when they are not looking Santo will go 90 yards on a WR screen.....its happened before!

steelpride12
11-03-2007, 08:51 AM
Well unless we have been practicing the west coast offense i don't plan on seeing it. They would really have to work on it and learn it down and just for one teams its not worth it.

I couldnt see anyone on the steelers playing well with the quick 3 step drop, but mabey Holmes because of his explosivness and possibly Miller over the middle unless they drop into zone.

Steeldude
11-03-2007, 03:43 PM
That didn't work. He actually almost won that game with his arm. The D lost that game.

edman, they still lost.

don't blame the loss on the defense only. BR committed two turnovers that resulted in 14 points for the broncos.

when BR is forced to throw the steelers don't have a good track record. i forgot the stat on it. something about BR having over 30 attempts...and losses...

32 passing attempts vs. cardinals - loss

35 passing attempts vs. broncos - loss

the steelers were 1-7 in 2006 when BR threw over 30 attempts. his average QB rating in games with over 30 attempts is 52.8 (insert motorcycle excuse):smile:

BR only went over 30 attempts once in 2005. the game resulted in a loss.

the best way to beat the steelers is to stack the box. that doesn't mean the steelers will lose. as of now though, BR has yet to prove that he can consistently win games when the running attack is suffering.

well whatever happens on monday needs to result in a big "W" for the steelers. division matches are always a must.

Edman
11-03-2007, 06:10 PM
edman, they still lost.

don't blame the loss on the defense only. BR committed two turnovers that resulted in 14 points for the broncos.

when BR is forced to throw the steelers don't have a good track record. i forgot the stat on it. something about BR having over 30 attempts...and losses...

32 passing attempts vs. cardinals - loss

35 passing attempts vs. broncos - loss

the steelers were 1-7 in 2006 when BR threw over 30 attempts. his average QB rating in games with over 30 attempts is 52.8 (insert motorcycle excuse):smile:

BR only went over 30 attempts once in 2005. the game resulted in a loss.

the best way to beat the steelers is to stack the box. that doesn't mean the steelers will lose. as of now though, BR has yet to prove that he can consistently win games when the running attack is suffering.

well whatever happens on monday needs to result in a big "W" for the steelers. division matches are always a must.

I hate to say this, but that wasn't a very smart thing you've just said. Perhaps the most asinine thing I've ever heard.

Oh, 30+ attempts vs. Buffalo- Win. You forgot that game.

When BR is usually forced to throw it's when the Steelers are losing. Take Denver for example. The D couldn't stop the Denver O for crap and surrendered 24 points to Jay freaking Cutler. That's not Ben's fault. Despite the BS in the first half, Ben still brought the team back in the game from a 21-7 deficet. All he needed was one stop from the D. Just one.

The Donkeys marched right down the field and won. Denver converted a high rate of 3rd downs that night. That's not Ben's fault.

Yes, when Ben has a high rate of passes, the Steelers usually lose. But you do not realize the circumstances on why they lose, or the circumstances on how the Steelers playcalling works. Ben could've thrown more passes last week vs. the Bungles even with the game already in the Steelers' hands, but we're not the "run-up-the-score" Patriots. It's not like if he threw 6-7 more passes, the Steelers would suddenly blow their 11 point lead and lose. They say stats don't lie, but that 'Ben goes over 30=Steelers loss' is about as tricky and decietful a stat could ever be.

Steeldude
11-03-2007, 08:46 PM
edman, i was referring to the current trend of losses.

3 turnovers resulting from the QB led to 14 points for the broncos, fact. it's called points off of turnovers. the steelers' defense intercepted the ball twice. the first INT resulted in zero points for the steelers. the second INT resulted in a TD. looks to me that the defense did something well to help out the offense. the offense failed to step up. seems to me that the defense has been doing a good job keeping the scores low this season. the defense can't carry the team every game. this is not to say that the defense didn't play below average. a rather porous pass defense was shown.

i am talking about when he is forced to pass. obviously if the steelers are up 14 points or whatever and he throws a few more passes to exceed 30 it doesn't equate to a loss. throwing as high as 50 times does not mean an automatic loss.

bottomline is that the steelers suffer when they can't run.

whether BR throws once or 50 times the steelers need to beat their division opponent.