PDA

View Full Version : Bad Feeling...

Providence Steel
11-02-2007, 10:41 AM
Steelers Notebook: Arians plans to run against Ravens
Friday, November 02, 2007
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

It was a bold day for offensive coordinator Bruce Arians, and it had nothing to do with his play-calling or his game plan for the Baltimore Ravens.

First, he said Ravens safety Ed Reed is better than Troy Polamalu, a comment that might be considered sacrilegious in this town.

Then he guaranteed the Steelers will be able to run the ball against the Ravens when the teams meet Monday night in Heinz Field.

Willie Parker, who leads all National Football League running backs with five 100-yard games, was held to 50 yards on 23 carries in two games against the Ravens last season. Arians said that won't happen again, even though the Ravens have the league's No. 2 rush defense.

"Partly, it was us; we took a pass-first mentality to Baltimore and it backfired," Arians said yesterday after practice. "Last year was last year. All I'm worried about is this year. We're going to run the football, make no bones about it."

Asked if that meant attempt to run the football, Arians said, "No, we're going to run the football."

But his comment about Polamalu, a three-time Pro Bowl selection and the youngest member of the Steelers' 75th anniversary team, might be even more shocking.

"Ed's a great player," Arians said of Reed, a thee-time Pro Bowl selection and the NFL's defensive player of the year in 2004. "I personally think he's the best. I love Troy and I think he's good, but Ed is really good."

I don't believe we are going to have a stellar day running the ball against the Ravens. If Arians is REALLY going to try to run the ball, we might be doing the "Heinz Field Ketchup" in the second half. Our offensive line was blown up by the Cardinals and the run game shut down almost completely. I think the Ravens are a little better on defense than the Cards.

I hope this is a ploy to catch them off guard. I think Ben is a much better QB, this year as compared to last years concussion/appendix parade. I think the passing game will work better to open the run against the Ravens as opposed to the other way around.

While it would be really nice to see our running game plow through the Ravens defense, I don't see it happening that easily or successfully.

What do others think?

BlastFurnace
11-02-2007, 11:05 AM
It's not like Arians is going to tell the world what the Steelers are "actually" going to do. The Ravens are not the best team on the field between these two teams. If the Steelers come out and believe that themselves and execute, it doesn't matter who the Ravens bring to the line to stop the run. We have more weapons on offense than they have on defense.

The only way the Steelers lose this game is if we turn the ball over. They do not have enough firepower on their offense to keep up if we just play our game.

rbryan
11-02-2007, 11:23 AM
I don't know while Arians is saying anything at all right now. He should know better than to be making any bold statements. Let the play on the field do the talking for you.

alittlejazzbird
11-02-2007, 11:36 AM
But his comment about Polamalu, a three-time Pro Bowl selection and the youngest member of the Steelers' 75th anniversary team, might be even more shocking.

"Ed's a great player," Arians said of Reed, a thee-time Pro Bowl selection and the NFL's defensive player of the year in 2004. "I personally think he's the best. I love Troy and I think he's good, but Ed is really good."

Sounds to me like Arians (who, believe me, is not giving any secrets away to the media!) is trying to light a fire under the whole team, but particularly under Troy, whom many of us think is still spectacular but a bit "off" his usual standard of excellence this year. As Ed Bouchette said in the Tuesday chat, maybe it has something to do with having cartilage "ripped off his ribs," which makes my eyes water just to type it. Ed also said, "he's not having the kind of impact he's had on defense in the past, and I'm not sure why." I think Troy must be playing in a lot of pain, though he would never admit it.

I doubt that the Steelers need any extra motivation for this game. Having your hat unceremoniously handed to you twice in one season hopefully lit within each player a burning desire for revenge. I agree with the general consensus that the Ravens this year are not an equal of the Steelers, and if the Steelers play mistake-free football, they will win.

Atlanta Dan
11-02-2007, 11:39 AM
You would think they would have learned their lesson after Ben's effort to con everyone with his statements to the media that he would spend all night handing off prior to the first half pass-o-rama in Denver.

Arians, unlike LeBeau and most coordinators, enjoys talking to the media and presumably seeing his name in print.. IMO Tomlin is going to stop that.

alittlejazzbird
11-02-2007, 11:49 AM
You would think they would have learned their lesson after Ben's effort to con everyone with his statements to the media that he would spend all night handing off prior to the first half pass-o-rama in Denver.

Arians, unlike LeBeau and most coordinators, enjoys talking to the media and presumably seeing his name in print.. IMO Tomlin is going to stop that.

Wasn't a very good con, was it? I certainly didn't buy it, and based on their success defending the pass, I don't think Denver did either.

I find I don't pay all that much attention to what the players and coaches say about what's going to happen in any given game. They're all on a stated mission to conceal true intent, and that's just fine by me. Personally, I take it all with a grain of salt, and we'll see what we see on Monday night.

Dino 6 Rings
11-02-2007, 12:09 PM
We will run the ball. That's the bottom line. There is no choice in the matter. Against the Ravens you have to run right at them. That's how you keep your QB safe, keep them from pinning their ears back and coming hard every play and you keep the play action pass alive when they drop an 8th into the box. That's what we DID NOT Do last year, Ben was eaten live when we tried to get cute and get away from doing what we do. We run, if its Willie 30 times for 80 yards, so be it, we will need to stay consistant on Offense, run, set up the play action, toss a couple deep ones to holmes, hit Ward and Miller on some key 3rd downs to move the sticks and that will be the game plan. This is a case where Bruce is telling them, "here we come" and putting our O-line on notice. Give it to the Ravens, or they will give it to you.

Bottom Line!

Dino 6 Rings
11-02-2007, 12:25 PM
I see our defense showing up and scoring themselves. I'm telling you folks. This game is going to be ugly if you're a Ravens fan. They will realize at the end of the game, the Steelers are the true power in the universe, and they are competition for us only once every 4 or 5 years.

moedap
11-02-2007, 12:54 PM
I anticipate a close game. I think we will be more successful with running this year due to FWP's progress in that area. He has shown the patience and willingness to stick with the designed play even if it only nets him 2 to 3 yard runs. Does that mean Arians plans to run more this Monday I dont think he meant that in the article. Last year it seemed as if the Steelers tried that tight flex formation and Bmore just overloaded one side or the other and blitzed. One mans job was blitzing looking for the run and the other was looking for the QB.

Counselor
11-02-2007, 12:55 PM
I don't know while Arians is saying anything at all right now. He should know better than to be making any bold statements. Let the play on the field do the talking for you.

He was asked a question and he answered it. If he had said, "no we're not going to run", would that have made people more happy? I doubt it.

rbryan
11-02-2007, 02:52 PM
Reporters ask questions all the time. Doesn't mean you need to elaborate to this extent and turn it into bulletin board material.

Atlanta Dan
11-02-2007, 03:38 PM
He was asked a question and he answered it. If he had said, "no we're not going to run", would that have made people more happy? I doubt it.

It would make me happier if he would quit discussing what he plans to do each week. By point of comparison, I do not recall LeBeau discussing the defensive game plan every week.

My preference that Arians zip it It has nothing to do with the Ravens or other teams getting any competitive advantage from this.

Instead, on most teams the HC is the media rep for the coaching staff, which presumbly will be the case with the Steelers soon enough.

And as far as the quote about Polamalu, I agree with the opinion but see no need for Arians to be popping off like that. This guy simply likes to see his name in the paper. Troy is the last guy on the team who will get jacked up because of something an ex-coordinator for the Browns has to say to the media about his skill levels compared to that of Ed Reed.

Stlrs4Life
11-02-2007, 04:56 PM

I agree. Just let the players do the talking with there play onj the field. And as far as his comment about Troy, well, sorry, Reed is better than Troy at the moment.

HometownGal
11-02-2007, 05:12 PM
Well - if Parker doesn't fumble the freakin' ball all over the field, we should be OK. :wink02::flap::flap::flap:

I don't believe Arians is going to let the "pig out of the skin" before Monday (see - I got the day right! :thumbsup:) night's game. I'm all in favor of controlling the line of scrimmage with some runs but doing a little more passing in this game, as the Rats have given up some nice yardage downfield. I think Santo is again going to come up huge against the Rats' corners, though they are fairly formidable.

The key to stopping the Rats? Pressure McNair. If he gets time to throw, as we all well know - he's going to burn us. Hopefully the Steelers pass rush will come out of hiding for this game.

Black@Gold Forever32
11-02-2007, 05:18 PM
Willie hasn't fumbled much this year...He should be fine.....I know he had a key fumble near the goal line against the Ravens at Heinz Field last year ( I was there)lol...and was pissed when it happened...lol.....But Willie should be fine......I expect it to be tough for Willie to gain yards like always against the Ravens but I have a feeling he finally gets a 100 against them.....It might take 30 carries to do but so be it......

Yes Steve McNair is a Steelers killer but his age is really starting to catch up to him...He really hasn't been effective when he has been in there this year.....So I'm not worried about McNair or that clown Boller...lol

If the Steelers don't give up any huge returns on special teams and don't turn the ball over I really don't see how the Ravens will beat the Steelers....We all know McGahee won't do jack against us...lol

HometownGal
11-02-2007, 05:29 PM
Willie hasn't fumbled much this year...He should be fine.....I know he had a key fumble near the goal line against the Ravens at Heinz Field last year ( I was there)lol...and was pissed when it happened...lol.....But Willie should be fine......I expect it to be tough for Willie to gain yards like always against the Ravens but I have a feeling he finally gets a 100 against them.....It might take 30 carries to do but so be it......

You need to catch up on the inside jokes around here, Dan - LOL! :wink02: Most people who read my first sentence above, including the originator of this thread, will know my reason for posting that. :sofunny:

McNair is averaging 230 ypg but only has thrown 2 TDs with 2 picks. He does seem to have butter fingers, though, as he's lost all 4 of his own fumbles this season. I'm hoping the Steelers are going to exploit that weakness, as it has been a problem for him for most of his career. For whatever reason, he seems to rise to the occasion when he plays the Steelers and though he is older and a little less mobile now, I don't take him for granted - he still has a pretty decent arm and is a very smart QB.

steelpride12
11-02-2007, 05:53 PM
I think its going to be a close game not matter what, but having payback in your mind is always a nice motivator.

Running the ball over 20+ times seems to be a good call because attacking this defense head on is the right move, but Ben also must have a game plan and please no picks this game.

With a close game like its gonna be one turnover could cost us so Parker and Ben need to play smart, hold on to the ball and for Ben get rid of the ball quick there is not gonna be any sitting in the pocket for you.

Our defense can hopefully do the job with alot of pressure in Mcnair's face forcing his rusty ass(has not played since week 5) to make a poor mistake. There offense is not that good at all and if Heap is out thats even better. Their run game should be no problem and the deep ball is the only threat i see.

tony hipchest
11-02-2007, 06:29 PM
honestly, my main concern is whether the steelers approach this game with a "business as usual, 1/16th of the season attitude, or an emotional charge like seen with the cardinals superbowl, or the broncos memorial service.

it is MNF
it is the steelers 75th anniversary celebration (full of rich history of rising to the occasion)
it is for the lead in the afc north
it is the hated ravens
it would be the game of the week, were the patrits/colts not playing eachother.

yet we hear offensive captain hines ward almost downplay it as just another divisional game. now i trust hines' poker face better than bens, and definitely like how our other "divisional games" turned out.

i just wanna see the steelers coming out with fire and emotion and a sense of urgency. if i were tomlin, i would tell the team on what it means to work for the rooneys and remind them theres 75 years of history to go out there and defend.

SteelDogFan
11-02-2007, 07:16 PM
I would say he is right about Ed and Troy. Troy is good and solid But Ed is already at half of fame status he has returns for TDs on D and on special teams. He reminds me of Rod Woodson. Troy reminds me more of Carnell Lake or Donnie Shell.

As for running the ball last year the Ravens had Adlius Thomas now I know one man does not make a team but loosing him down graded their D and booted the Pats. Also if you go and watch the Buffalo highlights you can see that running the ball on the Ravens can be done it wont be easy but it can be done dont sell your Steelers short. They will be fired up for the game. They are not the Steelers from last year.

As a matter of fact I will look at this game totally different than any Ravens game in the past few years. The Steelers were totally embarrassed last year in both games. If any team among the two needs to be ready to play its the Ravens because the Steelers will be ready to bash some heads. Remember it was a SHUT_OUT. The Steelers are never shut-out.

HateTheBengals
11-02-2007, 08:08 PM
I'm just looking forward to a great game.

At the end of the day, regardless of what is said or who says it, the Steelers and a running team. I'm excited to see the out come!

iupdauber
11-02-2007, 08:47 PM
We obviously need to run the ball. There are no if's, and's, or but's about it. The approach of the passing game opening up the running game has only worked few times since Big Ben has been on the field. And dont get me wrong. Ben is nowhere near the quarterback he was last year, and we all know he can win games, but the fact of the matter is that if you hit them consistantly with the run, they are going to bring everyone up to the line. They are going to throw a lot of run blitzes. Thats when you smack them right back in the face with a steel hammer. BRUCE!! THROW A SCREEN PASS AT THEM! We have so many ways of breaking down a defense, we need to start utilizing them. And please. Get 6 yards when its 3rd and 5, instead of running that draw play, or gunning it 25 yards downfield. We are a better team than the Ravens, and as bold and early as it is to say this, this is the biggest game of the year as far as the schedule shows. Run the ball, throw a few quick hitters to Heath, and chip away at those dirty Ravens, and we will win.

Edman
11-02-2007, 09:43 PM
I expect nothing but the Steelers' best effort. I don't buy into the favorite/underdog bit. They better give us a show no matter what. We all know damn well this is a much different team than last years. Now is the time for the Steelers to prove that 2006 was a fluke. And a chance for Tomlin to showcase his ability as a coach. This game will define the 2007 Steelers.

If they come out flat and unprepared like both games vs. the Rats last year, it will be a long night. And perhaps an even longer season. The time is now.

Beat the Ratbirds.

NV STEELERS 723
11-02-2007, 10:33 PM
I heard that Willie is going to use "stick em" so he does not fumble the ball...he fumbles alot!!!!!!!:sofunny::sofunny::sofunny::sofunny::so funny::sofunny::sofunny::sofunny::sofunny::sofunny ::sofunny::sofunny:

Galax Steeler
11-03-2007, 04:51 AM
We need to hit them hard at the line of scrimmage to open up for willie it might even be a good idea to throw in davenoport here and there to mix it up a little bit.

Atlanta Dan
11-03-2007, 08:09 AM
Reporters ask questions all the time. Doesn't mean you need to elaborate to this extent and turn it into bulletin board material.

Agreed - here is how James Harrison responded to a question about whether the Steelers will be stepping up the pass rush pressure Monday night

When asked if the Steelers will blitz more against the Baltimore Ravens on Monday night, Harrison shrugged.

"It's a game-to-game situation," he said.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_535999.html

GeneralRobinson
11-03-2007, 12:04 PM
It's on, baby. The testosterone is flowing as witnessed by Coach Rex Ryan:

When asked to clarify if he meant that the Steelers were going to try to run the ball, Arians replied: "Make no bones about that, we're going to run the football. We took a pass-first mentality to Baltimore last year, and it backfired obviously."

The Steelers are averaging 159.1 rushing yards per contest, but rarely have been successful on the ground against Baltimore with just two 100-yard games -- Jerome Bettis and Amos Zereoue -- since the 2000 season.

Ravens defensive coordinator Rex Ryan had a colorful rebuttal to Arians' remarks.

"If he ran it himself, we would kick his [butt]," Ryan said. "We'll find out when his team runs it and see what happens. Hey, it's Pittsburgh. It's about being physical, so bring it on and we'll see who's the most physical."

http://www.carrollcountytimes.com/articles/2007/11/03/sports/isports110307.txt

Atlanta Dan
11-03-2007, 02:23 PM
It's on, baby. The testosterone is flowing as witnessed by Coach Rex Ryan:

http://www.carrollcountytimes.com/articles/2007/11/03/sports/isports110307.txt

That's exactly what the NFL wants to market - a war of words between the coordinators :dang:

tony hipchest
11-03-2007, 02:28 PM
That's exactly what the NFL wants to market - a war of words between the coordinators :dang:

LOL. im not sure if im suprised that ryan wants to run some smack. (pretty weak smack at that).

"If he ran it himself, we would kick his [butt]," Ryan said.

:confused: whats arians supposed to say? "oh yeah? the steelers would kick his butt if rex ran the ball!"

matbe bruce will bark at rex (like joey porter) at the 50 yd line before the game. that would be cool. :rolleyes:

anyone know if pipsqueak neuheissel has ran any junk in lebeaus direction? :boxing:

steelpride12
11-03-2007, 03:36 PM
LOL. im not sure if im suprised that ryan wants to run some smack. (pretty weak smack at that).

:confused: whats arians supposed to say? "oh yeah? the steelers would kick his butt if rex ran the ball!"

matbe bruce will bark at rex (like joey porter) at the 50 yd line before the game. that would be cool. :rolleyes:

anyone know if pipsqueak neuheissel has ran any junk in lebeaus direction? :boxing:

Highly doubt that one.

Don't worry about Rex and trash talking him back if you wanna mess with him just run and tell him to catch you or just look at the pig geez ha!

revefsreleets
11-03-2007, 07:03 PM
I just wish we had a real RB, instead of some scrub who is only on pace to break the all-time Steelers single season rushing record.

Right, Prov?

GeneralRobinson
11-05-2007, 06:49 AM
I gues Baltimore isn't taking the bait as reported in the Carroll County Times by Aaron Wilson on Monday, Nov 5th.

The Ravens expect the Steelers to come out throwing, with several players saying they consider Pittsburgh offensive coordinator Bruce Arians’ bold vow to run the football against the NFL’s second-ranked run defense to be a ruse intended to get them to attack the line of scrimmage and fall victim to play-action passes over their heads.

http://www.carrollcountytimes.com/articles/2007/11/05/sports/bsports110507.txt

Providence Steel
11-06-2007, 09:32 AM
Well...in retrospect, I guess the running game wasn't much of anything and the passing game is what put the points on the board. Only two rushing first downs the whole game...