PDA

View Full Version : Meet the father of Televangelism.

revefsreleets
11-03-2007, 09:07 PM
Even the "good ones" are scum. This is really, really long but it's a great article. I'm going to post the link only, and for the few who have the attention span to read the article, you'll be better off for it.

http://www.clevescene.com/2007-10-31/news/jesus-for-sale/1

Preacher
11-03-2007, 09:33 PM
Even the "good ones" are scum. This is really, really long but it's a great article. I'm going to post the link only, and for the few who have the attention span to read the article, you'll be better off for it.

http://www.clevescene.com/2007-10-31/news/jesus-for-sale/1

I wouldn't throw EVERYONE under the bus... but yes, always be weary when they ask for money.

The best evangelist I have seen is BIlly Graham. He is dead on honest, AND OPEN about his finances, and for good reason. However, I won't launch into an American Christian history!

stlrtruck
11-05-2007, 12:06 PM
Didn't have the patience to read it all but all I can say from what I read is "WOW"

MasterOfPuppets
11-05-2007, 12:46 PM
i have A.D.D, , will someone please sum it up for me....:pde:....:whistle:....:poke:.....hey its a squirell !!! teehee heee....:hyper:

stlrtruck
11-05-2007, 01:37 PM
i have A.D.D, , will someone please sum it up for me....:pde:....:whistle:....:poke:.....hey its a squirell !!! teehee heee....:hyper:

From the brief reading I did, the opening was talking about how this guy was a Godly man, feared God and was bringing many people to the Lord - but when you read deeper, it talks about how he swindled people out of their money (to make a long story short).

Everyone else, please add to help our A.D.D - MOP to understand!!! :cheers:

MasterOfPuppets
11-05-2007, 02:07 PM
From the brief reading I did, the opening was talking about how this guy was a Godly man, feared God and was bringing many people to the Lord - but when you read deeper, it talks about how he swindled people out of their money (to make a long story short).

Everyone else, please add to help our A.D.D - MOP to understand!!! :cheers:
geesh.....i thought it was pretty common knowledge , that these guy's were nothing but cons. anyone that lives in a mansion and rides in a limo,ain't got a snowballs chance in hell of gettin one red cent outta me.

stlrtruck
11-05-2007, 02:12 PM
geesh.....i thought it was pretty common knowledge , that these guy's were nothing but cons. anyone that lives in a mansion and rides in a limo,ain't got a snowballs chance in hell of gettin one red cent outta me.

Well since I don't live in a mansion nor have a limo, can I have a lot of your red cents?

I promise you'll get healed of any ailments, and God will bless you forever (LOL)!

MasterOfPuppets
11-05-2007, 02:20 PM
Well since I don't live in a mansion nor have a limo, can I have a lot of your red cents?

I promise you'll get healed of any ailments, and God will bless you forever (LOL)!
lol....i would, but i save my pennies all year ,and donate em to Toys For Happiness. on the average i accumulate about $ 50 year in just pennies....:thumbsup:

TroysBadDawg
11-06-2007, 04:59 PM
I can't even get the page to come up. I guess someone is mad at me.

Preacher
11-06-2007, 09:36 PM
There is a couple of interesting things about this article. The slant of the writer is quite revealing, as is his ignorance (used in its proper meaning) of the different sects and parts of Christianity.

However, I am impressed that the author in some ways tries to disassociate him from other pastors and church leaders. That is a pleasing distinction not commonly made in today's press.

In contrast to this article, read up on Billy Graham. He has been completely clean of ANY financial issues, or most other issues for that matter...

to the chagrin of Hugh Heffner... who tried to set up Billy Graham.

revefsreleets
11-07-2007, 08:16 AM
Scene Magazine is a completely independent paper. All the writers are young and hungry and are just beginning to hone their craft. They take on anyone and everyone in Northeast Ohio. It's corny, but these kids are really out to try and make a difference, and it's a refreshing break from the "filtered through corporate" stuff you get in the big papers.

Godfather
11-07-2007, 11:21 AM
In contrast to this article, read up on Billy Graham. He has been completely clean of ANY financial issues, or most other issues for that matter...

to the chagrin of Hugh Heffner... who tried to set up Billy Graham.

Billy Graham is the nation's most respected minister for a reason.

What was the Hefner deal? I've always thought Hef was garbage but I didn't know he was THAT low.

Preacher
11-08-2007, 03:21 AM
Billy Graham is the nation's most respected minister for a reason.

What was the Hefner deal? I've always thought Hef was garbage but I didn't know he was THAT low.

Heffner sent a couple bunnies and a photographer into Graham's hotel room. The goal was, when Graham walked in, the girls would jump up around him and the photographer would take the pictures.

The only problem, it wasn't graham who first walked into a room.

That is why, Graham will NEVER go into a hotel room first now. He ALWAYS has one of his people go in first and check it out. He also never will sit alone at a table, or talk alone, etc. etc. with a woman.

Yep.. he is respected for a reason... he doesn't see faith in Jesus as an avenue to personal gain. Thank goodness.

Godfather
11-08-2007, 10:11 AM
Heffner sent a couple bunnies and a photographer into Graham's hotel room. The goal was, when Graham walked in, the girls would jump up around him and the photographer would take the pictures.

The only problem, it wasn't graham who first walked into a room.

That is why, Graham will NEVER go into a hotel room first now. He ALWAYS has one of his people go in first and check it out. He also never will sit alone at a table, or talk alone, etc. etc. with a woman.

Yep.. he is respected for a reason... he doesn't see faith in Jesus as an avenue to personal gain. Thank goodness.

Wow...that's sick. It's a shame Billy Graham (or anyone for that matter) should have to take security measures like that.

Another reason Graham is so well respected is he used God's law as a playbook and not a scorecard.

Jman
11-08-2007, 10:57 AM
Truly this is a sad story. I agree with Preacher though - not everyone is bad. I particularly stay away some televangelists... Most of them are not speaking God's truth...

Preacher
11-08-2007, 04:33 PM
Wow...that's sick. It's a shame Billy Graham (or anyone for that matter) should have to take security measures like that.

Another reason Graham is so well respected is he used God's law as a playbook and not a scorecard.

That is an excellent way of putting it. Yes, he (and I and many other christians) believe what the bible says about sin, about homosexuality, about all sexuality outside of marriage, about greed, etc. etc. etc.

However, you are right. It is not there for us to say who is better then whom, rather, it is there for us to share that we are ALL in the same boat, and exhort EVERYONE to live according to scripture under the salvation of Jesus.

TroysBadDawg
11-08-2007, 04:41 PM
came into this kinda late, but when I was living in Youngstown, Ohio before Boys Town, Nebraska I remember Rex Humbard, and he would send a small piece of Jesus's cross for love offerings. the neighbor listened to him religously if I can use that term. Can't tell you how much she must have sent him. I remember her children were always after her to stop but she would tell them it was for Jesus.
I even remember her name but it wouldn't be right to give it out here.

stlrtruck
11-10-2007, 09:41 PM
lol....i would, but i save my pennies all year ,and donate em to Toys For Happiness. on the average i accumulate about $ 50 year in just pennies....:thumbsup:

That's cool and awesome of you! But what is Toys For Happiness - is that like Toys for Tots?