PDA

View Full Version : Ocho Cinco carted off field after hit

nojobny
11-04-2007, 07:31 PM
Bengals' Johnson complained of neck pain after hit, can move extremities

Associated Press
Updated: November 4, 2007, 5:13 PM ET

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. -- Cincinnati Bengals receiver Chad Johnson was transported to a Buffalo-area hospital, complaining of neck pain after he was hurt late in Cincinnati's 33-21 loss to the Bills on Sunday.

Coach Marvin Lewis said Johnson had movement in all of his extremities and was sent to a hospital as a precaution. Johnson had tests immediately after he was carted off the field before he was loaded into an ambulance about 20 minutes after the game was over.

Fellow receiver and good friend T.J. Houshmandzadeh jumped into the ambulance to be with Johnson. It's not clear if Johnson would be able to travel with the Bengals on their flight back to Cincinnati.

Johnson was hurt when he was sandwiched by Bills defenders Donte Whitner and Coy Wire, while attempting to make a diving catch over the middle with 1:53 remaining. Johnson dropped the ball and lay face down on the field at the Bills 37 as the game was delayed for about 10 minutes.

Johnson, who has been bothered by an ankle injury, was able to move his legs as team trainers attended to him.

Before being carted off, members of both teams gathered around Johnson, who had his neck immobilized. Johnson had taken a big hit earlier in the game, when he was knocked face first into the sideline by cornerback Terrence McGee.

Johnson had three catches for 48 yards. He entered the game ranked second in the NFL with 731 yards receiving.

link (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3094570)

PisnNapalm
11-04-2007, 07:51 PM
It couldn't happen to a nice guy...'cept maybe "Whoseyourmama".

TroysBadDawg
11-04-2007, 10:20 PM
click clack
(http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d803df8f1&template=without-video&confirm=true)

Johnson returns with Bengals after tests show no damage

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. -- Bengals wide receiver Chad Johnson flew home with his teammates Sunday after medical tests showed he sustained no damage to his neck after he was injured late in Cincinnati's game against Buffalo.

Chad Johnson, WR
Cincinnati Bengals

2007 Statistics:
REC: 47
YDS: 779
TD: 3

Team spokesman Jack Brennan said Johnson joined the team for its scheduled flight to Cincinnati after having a CT scan of his neck at a Buffalo-area hospital. Brennan said test results were normal.

Johnson was injured when he was sandwiched by Buffalo defenders Donte Whitner and Coy Wire while attempting to make a diving catch over the middle with 1:53 remaining of the Bengals' 33-21 loss to the Bills. Johnson dropped the ball and was face-down on the field at the Bills' 37-yard line as the game was delayed for about 10 minutes.

Coach Marvin Lewis said Johnson had movement in all extremities and was sent to a hospital as a precaution. Johnson had tests immediately after he was carted off the field, and then was loaded into an ambulance about 20 minutes after the game ended.

Fellow receiver and good friend T.J. Houshmandzadeh jumped into the ambulance to be with Johnson.

A second ambulance was required to transport Johnson after the first one experienced engine trouble, spitting gray exhaust fumes as it drove onto the field.

Before being carted off, members of both teams gathered around Johnson, who had his neck immobilized.

"It looked like he was moving his body, but he was in a lot of pain," quarterback Carson Palmer said. "All we can do is pray for him and hope that it's nothing serious."

Johnson was stretched out when Whitner hit him across the chest and shoulder just after the ball arrived.

"I didn't try to hurt him or anything," Whitner said. "I hope he's all right. ... I hope he's healthy and able to play next week or the following week."

The initial scene was eerily similar to when Bills tight end Kevin Everett sustained a severe neck injury during Buffalo's season opener against Denver. Everett was paralyzed from the neck down, but has since made a remarkable recovery.

He's currently able to move his arms and legs as he continues the second phase of his rehabilitation in Houston.

Johnson had taken a big hit earlier in the game, when he was knocked face-first at the sideline by cornerback Terrence McGee. He finished with three catches for 48 yards. Johnson entered the game ranked second in the NFL with 731 yards receiving.

The Bills lost two players to injuries.

Slot receiver Roscoe Parrish did not return after bruising a right quadriceps late in the second quarter. Starting middle linebacker John DiGiorgio did not return after sustaining a concussion in the third quarter.

Coach Dick Jauron said both will require more tests.

fansince'76
11-04-2007, 10:21 PM
Don't like the guy, but I'm still glad he's going to be OK. :cheers:

GBMelBlount
11-04-2007, 10:29 PM
Before being carted off, members of both teams gathered around Johnson, who had his neck immobilized. Johnson had taken a big hit earlier in the game, when he was knocked face first into the sideline by cornerback Terrence McGee.

link (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3094570)

It was amazing to see the concern & support from the Buffalo players. They know first hand what can happen in a situation like this.

stillers4me
11-05-2007, 06:51 AM
The boy's been taking quite a beating the last few games.
They should have brought out the H.O.F. jacket and wrapped his a$$ in it before they carted him off the field.

:chuckle:

memphissteelergirl
11-05-2007, 09:48 AM
It couldn't happen to a nice guy...'cept maybe "Whoseyourmama".

They should have brought out the H.O.F. jacket and wrapped his a$$ in it before they carted him off the field.

Hey, y'all, I don't like the guy either, but show a little class and compassion, already. You wanna be like the idiot Bengal fans who wished Ben would have died in the motorcyle accident??? Not cool.

A neck/spinal injury is potentially life-threatening, not too mention potentially career-ending. Chad is big-mouth showboater, to be sure, but I wouldn't want to wish on him, and I would like to think other Steeler fans wouldn't either.

rbryan
11-05-2007, 10:09 AM
The only thing wrong with Chad is that his feelings got hurt yesterday. That was one of the worst games I've seen from him. He didn't even get hit above the shoulders on that play. Me thinks Chad had to find some way to divert attention from his horrible performance, so he laid down and played dead.

If he turns out to really be hurt I will apologize for this accusation, but I don't think theres anything wrong with him.

steveironcity
11-05-2007, 12:26 PM

HAHAHA :jammin:

Jeremy
11-05-2007, 12:28 PM
Johnson's "injury" is a mockery to everyone who has really been hurt playing the game of pro football.

revefsreleets
11-05-2007, 01:00 PM
This is only going to get worse for him. You know what happens to the nail that sticks up? It gets pounded, and Chad definitely sticks up. I'll refrain from the obvious bag of hammers joke, but CJ is not a smart man to begin with. If he keeps talking, he's going to keep getting hit, and if he keeps getting hit, he's going to get even stupider, which will probably lead to him talking even more.

Big D
11-05-2007, 01:07 PM
what I dont understand is how this idiot thinks he's so beloved. Who can really stand this guy anymore? Must be honest I questioned my own class after I cheered like an eagles fan as he was hauled away.

Petesburgh66
11-06-2007, 01:20 AM
He was the meat in a Bills sandwich. He did get pasted.

Here is the clip showing the hit

HfAy957kQxw

revefsreleets
11-07-2007, 09:41 AM
Chad Johnson:

"I am not a smart man, Jinny, but I always know where my gold teefs is when they fall out".

onthebus36
11-09-2007, 11:46 AM
I'm sorry, but I don't see it. I know weird stuff can happen on the field and injuries occur in plays where there isn't even a hit but I don't see it here. If you watch the play, #27, Coy Wire, wiffs over the top and the other player hits him in the body. There isn't really a "sandwich."

If you look at the Jay Cutler injury, there's no doubt. That's one of those that makes you cringe. There is no doubt there's an injury, it's only a matter of how bad.

In this case, I definitely think he was hurt, but I don't think it was as serious as it was treated. After getting beat up against Pittsburgh and taking some solid hits in this game, I think he tapped out here. Palmer was getting him the ball and he kept looking for the next hit and dropping it. (Did you guys she the footage of TJ showing him how to catch on the sideline?) I think he was dinged up, frustrated, and embarrassed and just decided to tap out and go home.

I don't want to see anyone hurt and would never make light of an injury. I do think Chad was beat up and this could have been a situation of cumulative injuries, but I don't think he had a neck or spinal injury. And the fact that he travelled with the team and is supposed to play this week adds more question marks. Add in his character and his desperate need to be the center of attention, and you are starting to build a really solid case for an injury being overblown just for the sake of drama.

If it comes out that he faked such an injury on the field where a player almost lost his life earlier this year, I think he deserves to be banned.

Preacher
11-09-2007, 02:59 PM
Onthe...

What you DONT see is Anthony smith pulling him down, so that his head bounces off the carpet last week.... and then a hit earlier this game where he hits head first again. This may have been just a head bouncing off the carpet... but that would have been enough after everything else...

memphissteelergirl
11-09-2007, 03:10 PM
I don't want to see anyone hurt and would never make light of an injury. I do think Chad was beat up and this could have been a situation of cumulative injuries, but I don't think he had a neck or spinal injury. And the fact that he travelled with the team and is supposed to play this week adds more question marks. Add in his character and his desperate need to be the center of attention, and you are starting to build a really solid case for an injury being overblown just for the sake of drama.

If it comes out that he faked such an injury on the field where a player almost lost his life earlier this year, I think he deserves to be banned.

CJ's an attention *****, I'll grant you that, but I would like to think even HE would not sink that low. I suppose it's that part of me that wants to think that there is good in everybody if ya look hard enough.
As for the the precautions they took when they took him off the field....I think that's SOP with that kind of injury (or the potential for it). Maybe it did not turn out to be as serious as it looked, but with something like that better to do too much than too little.

rbryan
11-09-2007, 03:11 PM
I'm sorry, but I don't see it. I know weird stuff can happen on the field and injuries occur in plays where there isn't even a hit but I don't see it here. If you watch the play, #27, Coy Wire, wiffs over the top and the other player hits him in the body. There isn't really a "sandwich."

If you look at the Jay Cutler injury, there's no doubt. That's one of those that makes you cringe. There is no doubt there's an injury, it's only a matter of how bad.

In this case, I definitely think he was hurt, but I don't think it was as serious as it was treated. After getting beat up against Pittsburgh and taking some solid hits in this game, I think he tapped out here. Palmer was getting him the ball and he kept looking for the next hit and dropping it. (Did you guys she the footage of TJ showing him how to catch on the sideline?) I think he was dinged up, frustrated, and embarrassed and just decided to tap out and go home.

I saw that too. Hilarious. Chad was really soaking up the knowledge there. Looked like someone showing him how to catch a football for the very first time. Maybe Chads Pop Warner coach didn't give him enough attention in his formulative years.

onthebus36
11-09-2007, 04:46 PM
Onthe...

What you DONT see is Anthony smith pulling him down, so that his head bounces off the carpet last week.... and then a hit earlier this game where he hits head first again. This may have been just a head bouncing off the carpet... but that would have been enough after everything else...

Preach,

Yeah, I said I thought it could have been a cumulative thing. However, I'm still suspicious... Unfair? Maybe. I'm an imperfect person too. :wink02: